Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
I had a great time leveling up several characters through the game. The action combat was a good deal of fun and i really enjoyed the feedback of the hits then knocking some goblin across the screen. I'm guessing since it's been awhile the balance has been changed, but when i played the Paladin was amazing to play. Near unkillable but with tons of damage. It was the perfect class for me. Find a big group and jump in the middle to start bashing heads then walk out near full health. Pick up the much better Lord of the Rings Online and play Warden if you want something similar. There were tons of instances where i lead the team's leaderboard in almost every stat, it was broken in such a fun way.

But man did all that change at the end game. What a boring grindy mess. The last 10, I think, levels were terrible too in their own way. They were added in an expansion and most of the areas were recolored older zones where you went through them backwards. You had to grind daily quests with a timer on their respawning. And you could easily run out of quests and had to sit there till "Collect 10 Orc Asses" would pop back up again. They brought back Minsc for that garbage.

The zones were all small and constricted. The instanced story dungeons scattered around were decent but not much more than run forward and kill everything. The first sewer instance had a little puzzle near the end a few hidden treasures so I thought, "hey cool, nice start can't wait to see how they build on this!" Nope, that was a fluke and running through it later on they changed the "puzzle" to just hitting a switch once for a treasure chest to show up.

Despite all that, I still have some fondness for some reason for all the Cryptic mmo's and left Neverwinter really disappointed because I wanted to keep playing but all that was left was grindy garbage. If they kept coming out with classes I'd probably stop by but it's been awhile so I guess they're done with that.

edit: was looking for a shot of my dwarf paladin but can't find it, so here's my dwarf two-handed fighter posing

DryGoods fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU