Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I keep checking in to see if they reveal what that "Coming soon!" class that's been on the character creation screen forever is going to be. Maybe next expansion

I tooled around with this game a bit and liked it, but not quite enough to want to sink MMO-levels of time into it when there are other games to play (and things to do in life outside of video games sometimes). I'm glad there's a thread again for it at least though. The profession system seemed neat. Too many currencies though (and I never even got near endgame).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How's the new player experience now? I heard they changed the leveling system so that it's, to draw a comparison with the tabletop game, milestone based (ie you just level up along with the story as you do the quests instead of XP). That sounds cool to me, but I can also see how an unscrupulous F2P developer might exploit this to exhaust you into spending money and I'm curious if that's what they've done, or if it's pretty player friendly for the most part.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

barnold posted:

functionally the journey from 1 to what is now level 20 is exactly the same, with the exception that "leveling up" is now milestone based rather than purely XP based as you've said. so there are a handful of leveling areas that were removed, but the main story is fundamentally the exact same and you are still playing through all of the major dungeons and plot points that you would have before. for me, progressing through the story was just as fun. the main story is separated into the "Campaigns" category, with all the endgame stuff now categorized as "Adventures" with repeating tasks

it has been a while since I logged into my bard, which was the only fresh character I played after the progression update, but I don't recall anything being particularly P2W with the main campaign. it really only kicks into high gear once you finish the campaign, but several of the endgame adventures were made a little easier (I pretty much insta-completed Tyranny of Dragons on my main character the first time I logged in after the update, which was arguably one of the grindiest parts of the game)

That sounds kinda rad actually, maybe I'll jump back in and check it out. I can always quit if I don't like it I suppose