Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I came back for the protector's jubilee and am thinking of staying a while, because it's either that or wait for the sacrifice to make it to PS4 Warframe.

Here are some thoughts, because it's nearly half 2 in the morning here and apparently screaming into the void is what I do now.

Things I Like:

loving love the simplified refining system. I used to hate the bullshit of all the different types of stones, now you just shove gems into whatever's not orange yet. Plus i have feytouched & dragons hoard enchants with wanderers fortune. I eat daily random dungeons and poo poo RP now

Free alt loadout, so you get to try out both subclasses and make one build for dungeon healin' and one for solo dpsin' (i main cleric because in my heart i want to be loved, but not too much)

It still has a very vanilla-wow feel to the art style and I have enjoyed wasting my AD and time during events on playing princess dress up (the real endgame).

There is a ton of content, always something to do. I even occasionally go back to clear low level campaign missions I missed, just for shits and giggles.

I also am kind of impressed with the AD / dungeon reward changes. It was stupid that every player was running cloak tower and eTOS twice for AD and logging out. Now at least there is variety.

Things I do not like:

I have no idea what i'm doing gear wise. I got the chest and hands off the tradebar merchant, and bought the relic hat and boots off the seals guy, then found out it's that bullshit stuff that has a limited time at higher tiers and you need to keep refuelling it. Is all armour like that now or do i need to head somewhere particular to get the good stuff? I still have the elemental fire set, and lathanders cloak / belt / artifact set and have been refining those.

I got a month of vip while I was logging in over xmas, and used the keys opening a bunch of glorious retard boxes yesterday, only to find out they added in a completely useless insult of a pack with an insanely high drop rate, so most of my goddamn keys were wasted. Still have about 500k AD anyway.

Since i've been away my PS4 guild died (never that active anyway) so I don't have any of those boons or armour.

Still no foundry on PS4?

I hate that I have 5 alts, but only really give a poo poo about playing 2 of them, the DC and the GWF. My warlock feels pointless since they nerfed lifesteal and fixed the prophecy on DO so now clerics can DPS? And why rogue or paladin when I can play as the aforementioned GWF who now has a defense and an assault build?

The only reason I don't delete them is because I bought things and bound them and am a sucker for a good sunk-cost fallacy. They exist mostly as dress up characters rather than as things I play, especially the drow rogue.

I have a DC main, previously AC/DC but specced for DPS, now with one loadout for each. My secondary is a halfling GWF in courtesan gear with a big hammer called Tiberius Cohen. He's probably my favourite character wise, because almost everything from his companion (his dad) to his mount (blue ribbon pig) is designed to make other players giggle.

There's also a tiefling CW called Scamp who is bad at everything, a drow rogue called 24601 and a dragonborn warlock because I honestly thought it was a good idea to spend £30 real money making sure all of my characters had plenty of bag space.

E: Just to clarify this is all meant in the spirit of gentle ribbing. I played this game for well over two years and loved it, still love coming back for events once the muscle memory kicks in.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That sounds good. Is that PC only or is that PS4 as well?

rodbeard posted:

I have no idea how to use load outs.
Each loadout has different equipped gear, powers, feats, boons, active companions, mount bonuses and quickslots. You can switch between them at the click of a button.

So the way I used mine on my DC for example is to have one loadout for group heal-over-time/buffs as AC, and one for DPS soloing as Oracle. That way I can wander round epic dungeons spam healing my team and making sure they absolutely do not die ever.

But soloing (which is how I play 90% of the content), most of those skills and feats are useless, so I switch to Oracle so I can DPS enemies down quickly.

I haven't done this for my GWF yet, but I imagine i'll probably end up with one loadout for balls-out DPS fun and a more cautious defensive build for higher level stuff.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There have been a lot of changes, yeah. Adding 2018 to the end of your search generally helps find recent posts from reddit rather than arguments on gamefaqs from three years ago.

Also I agree - Ravenloft tho. Gonna get my goth on when it hits consoles.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

rodbeard posted:

I only started playing because of ravenloft. Is there a time frame for the PS4 version?
1-2 months usually. You might be able to get a character to 70 by then, so you can enjoy it as soon as it comes out.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It's part of the huge Module 13 content update, it launches for all platforms on Tuesday.
Just to update you, nothing seems to have changed seals-wise on PS4. We're still getting defender/adventurer, so we're still stuck with the Ostorian bullshit.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 28, 2018

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So I just bought the Chult weapons from the auction house, and it very briefly flashed something up on screen (amid the collections garbage) about being able to carry over progress from old artefact equipment. The problem is that it wasn't on screen long enough for me to read it, so O don't know how.

How do?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

This is the only of the cryptic trio of STO/CO/this I don't have a lifetime sub to because by the time I heard about it was not gonna get hosed again, but now I hear these motherfuckers have Drow and Ravenloft and poo poo and now I think I've slept on the actual good game, haven't I?
I was a big fan of forgotten realms all the way back to the Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale games, so I was stoked to accidentally come across this when I got a PS4. It's good, and kind of reminds me of vanilla WoW a bit, but it does have that annoying f2p broken stair aspect where the tutorial and random npcs refer to systems that were cut or changed several patches ago, or there are things that the community knows are broken but the game never tells players, like the year or so where one of the DC's best skills didn't work at all.

Be patient with it, remember it's free, google anything you don't understand and you'll probably have fun.

sexpig by night posted:

How big a pain am I looking at if I hop in with no knowledge/characters/whatever.
Not too much. At first the bag space seems horrible and nothing makes sense, but you get free bags from the first few zones and eventually combat for your chosen class will start to click. Get one class to 70 before making alts or you'll get content burnout - I can't even look at neverdeath graveyard any more.

If you do start to get into it you can buy VIP which gives you some mildly useful stuff, but the big thing is the free lockbox keys you get. Buy a few Runic lockboxes off the tradehouse (most of the others have something called the adventurers pack which drops too often and is frankly insulting) and by the end if the month, selling the contents on the tradehouse should get you enough astral diamonds to convert to zen and buy another month of VIP.

Thranguy posted:

Darks in utility slots. Some of the people I've done endgame stuff with can book around dungeons at insane speeds, and for melee types or tanks that may be good for more than just kill-stealing.
Brutals are also good since they split movement / XP, and overlevelling past 70 often gives you Opals you can sell on the auction house and extra power points.

Also Warlocks and GWFs can run instead of dashing, so if you have a paladin it can be a real pig to keep up.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 5, 2018

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Never played Champions, but I still log back into STO when there's free ships to be had, and to try and catch up on converting my dilithuim ore backlog into Zen so I can stockpile T6 ships. Just bought the Temporal Raider for my Klingon, so next up is the Romulan, then my TOS.

Kind of like how every winter I end up getting dragged back into Neverwinter for the winterfest, and then selling the loot on the auction house in about February when the prices settle back down. Thanks to last year I have about 650k AD and rising, mostly from my stockpiles of unbound preservation wards & scrolls of mass life.

Between waiting for Warframe's new update and the Ravenloft stuff, I don't think I've actually bought any AAA titles in the last year apart from Destiny 2.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Foundry is #1 on my wishlist for console. I would probably never stop playing if they brought it out, but they seem to have given up somewhere along the line.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

League set is a good start, which you should have gotten free from the jubilee packs, I think that's 430 IL. You can also get the head and chest from the pilgrim set from the tradebar merchant, which is about 460. Then buy the chult weapon set from the tradehouse and you'll be in the high 9k range depending on enchants and followers etc.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I really need to switch PS4 guilds. When I used to play every day I joined a reddit guild, thinking it's reddit - there'll be a ton of people so everything will be upgraded.

Nope. The sub actually has a rule preventing there being one 'official' guild (because it's run by the devs who want to encourage lots of guilds), so it's very common to fish for ages for a good casual guild only to find they haven't built a farm and the officers all went idle months ago.

I'm pretty drat sure there's no goon PS4 guild, and the only other person I know that plays is in a hardcore epic dailies group that schedule their raids 2am our time. Having tried to shop around for a while, the guilds usually turn out to be at one of the two extremes.

So yeah, i've pretty much just accepted that I'm probably going to have to just give the guild experience a miss.

If you get booted from a guild do you lose the perks?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 17, 2018

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean that's just my observation, and I don't think it's done out of malice or anything. ManicGypsy is usually really helpful and nice (she was pleased to hear my two year long quest for a free unicorn has finally reached a conclusion), and I think they want to discourage there being one huge 'official' guild, they seem to want people to make their own.

Ladt I checked on PS4 Filthy Casuals seemed good, but that was literally years ago so god knows who's good or even still active.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The console version is usually a module behind the PC, has no foundry (which is a major omission) and the controls are a little awkward.

If you have the choice at all, get it on PC.

E: It's still fun on console, it's just it's a lot better on PC.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As I edited in, it's still fun on console. It's just a lot more fun on PC.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GWF is the movement melee class, I guess Warlock is the movement ranged class?

GWF is pretty fun, though they do get a bad rep in endgame dungeons. Especially if (like me) you have a halfling wearing courtesan gear called Tiberius Cohen, who's companion is his dad.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Apparently Ravenloft is now out on PS4!

Patch Notes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also free stuff for ps+ / xbl subscribers to celebrate the launch.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The PS4 population is fine, queueing is pretty quick and you can usually find groups. Probably not as many people as on PC, but there are more than enough. There's no goon guild though, which is a real shame.

I'd forgotten what it was like to actually have to pay attention playing this game. Most of my play over the past few years has consisted of logging in for events and doing the daily AD dungeon runs, so smashing level 60 content with relatively obscene gear basically.

But since getting to Barovia I've been getting my poo poo pushed in hard, even with the free upgrade set. My old AC build is fine in groups, but I might have to look up some more recent DC/DO DPS builds for soloing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh my god. I found out why my character was so weak. Turns out when the update hit, I got a free respec, which I got halfway through and then decided to do more research on.

What I didn't realise was that it was one of the old style respecs, so it reset all my bonus character stats from levelling, so I was running a cleric without any extra WIS, STR or CHA.

I've changed it and tweaked a few of the feats and boons for survivability and it's now back in that sweet spot of not being annoyingly difficult, but not being easy enough to sleepwalk through, at least for the solo stuff.

Still got my rear end handed to me in 11k Fangbreaker though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bump because day of the dungeon master is up on consoles. For those of you who don't know, it's a D&D metajoke campaign hosted by Chris Perkins of Acquisitions Incorporated / D&D Next fame. Lots of in-jokes and references.

No huge rewards for doing it, but it's fun as hell and gets you unique fashion items & titles as well as the Adorable Pocket Pet.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You don't. There are very few blocks to progress until you want to upgrade your enchantments past rank 8, and by that point you will have had so much playtime you really should think about paying the developers for the time you've enjoyed.

There are a few things that'll make life easier, like a month of VIP; even if you don't use the items you get from the lockboxes, you can sell them on the auction house. There's the dragonborn pack that gives a free artefact and huge bag to every character you create. Epic mounts also account for a huge quality-of-life upgrade.

You can easily get to 70 and endgame readiness without spending a penny though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

All the campaigns are timegated behind an endless daily grind, right? I've only experienced the first one, tyranny of dragons so far.
Sort of. Most of the campaigns are connected to particular zones where's there's a limited number of daily missions that give you the campaign currencies, so there is sort of a limit on how many you can earn.

Once one character has gotten through a campaign, they can spend 50k ad to send a patronage token to an alt that will let them get through the campaign twice as fast.

Tyranny of Dragons takes a lot longer than the other campaigns - essentially it comprises two parts: an introduction to the concept of campaigns that you can start from level 25. The second part starts once you hit 70 and can get to the well of dragons to get your hands on the currencies you need to complete the upper tier of tasks.

Most campaigns progress at a fairly decent speed. The dailies rotate, so if you can't play every day you can stack them and do two or three days worth at once.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Huge changes coming in the next mod to dungeon chests / keys / salvage / AD:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1242710/salvage-and-dungeon-chests

I was wondering when they'd fix keys. I'm on console, we just got Ravenloft, and I think less than half of the dungeons in rotation use the epic keys, but I get 3 of them a day from the VIP that was free with PS+.

The economy is also completely out of whack right now. Nobody knows how to price anything on the AH, i'm sitting on over a million AD and nobody (literally nobody at all on PS4) is selling Zen.

It really feels like at the moment it's at a bizarre midpoint, and even if the new system sucks it will at least be a complete system.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like that's the wrong way to approach things, banning everyone for 'abusing' the glitch and deleting any discussion of it from the forums and subreddit.

Clearly the reason people went crazy over it was because it reflected a balance issue. Kind of like how in the early days of GTA Online, the only way to make any money was to wait until a new car dupe glitch was published, abuse the gently caress out of it, and then hope that the money was untraceable afterwards.

On the other hand you have games like Warframe, where movement glitches end up becoming features, and they have a far healthier attitude of 'ok you got us, have fun with it but we will be patching this as soon as we're able.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

rodbeard posted:

What happened?
There was a glitch with the Barovia hunts that people were abusing.

https://blog.nwo-uncensored.com/heres-what-that-hunt-exploit-in-module-14-was-all-about/

Probably fine to share it now it's been patched, but a lot of people seem to have either been banned or had their AD reset over it.

A number of them are claiming they joined in with hunts (open world events) only to later get punished for being involved with the glitch.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Choyi posted:

seeing as bravoria hunts are instanced content that you have to manually group for
I thought they were like heroics where you could just wander into one in progress? I haven't done much Barovia except claiming the free gear.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Playing it is very easy, and feels pretty natural. Certain aspects of the UI are a little fiddly because of the compensating for the lack of mouse, but usually it tells you what to press to get where you need to go.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As soon as you get to 70, do the intro quest to the Ravenloft campaign. You get a full set of 460 IL gear which trivialises the other campaigns, and a free set of artefact weapons.

It gives you enough power to do the intermediate queues, then you can spend the seals from that on the 500 IL gear from the seal vendor, which opens up the advanced queue and get strong enough to start doing barovia hunts and get the 540 IL gear.

As for the amount of work required for the campaigns, stack your quests. In most campaigns there are different quests available on different days, so log in, go pick up the daily quests, but don't do them. Do the queues for AD, use it to buy upgrades off the AH or Zen store, and then if you have time, do whichever module you have 3 days worth of quests built up on.

Don't try to do multiple campaigns every day, you'll drive yourself insane and burn out fast. Do the daily queues, salvage your loot, go to one campaign, do three days worth of dailies. If you still have time after that, take an alt through the levelling queue.

Try not to look at campaign progress, it'll always seem a frustratingly long way off. Just do your dailies, hand in any currencies you get and concentrate on AD.

E: get a mount with Wanderers Fortune as soon as you can convert enough AD to Zen. It gives you free refining gems just for playing normally and is a huge help for levelling up your artefact weapons. If you buy it from the Zen store your alts can also use it, along with the much faster saddle.

https://two30.github.io/neverwinter-insignia/?17

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Choyi posted:

Biggest issue you run into at level cap is an insurmountable grind to get caught up to end game,
All you have to do is kill about 10 werewolves (or run away while the NPCs kill them), talk to some gypsies, and boom; full set of 460 gear which will let you curbstomp most of the other modules. Granted this is not advertised and is mostly a tip passed round by the community, but I can tell you as someone who got a CW to 70 this month, you can absolutely walk into the Barovia intro quest in Sharandar greens & blues and survive long enough to get the free gear.

It actually surprised me that they'd do this, because it completely destroys the grind you were talking about. The idea was supposed to be that you hit 70, you do the levelling queue until your gear score is high enough to do the intermediate queue, then the advanced. Slowly getting more powerful at the end of each day was kind of fun.

Now, you do one quest and you can scrape your way into the intermediate queue, and none of the stuff you get from the queues is better than what you already have, or what you can get from the seal vendor. It then becomes more about saving up your astral diamonds and either converting them to Zen or buying stuff off the auction house, and getting the extra iLevel from campaign and guild boons.

The thing to bear is mind though is that this is F2P. With any F2P game you have to think of it as a huge demo, and if you want to keep playing and get the full experience, at some point you're going to have to pay the devs. They're not running Neverwinter as a charity. The grind, and the pinch driving players toward paying is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I guess the thing with the free Barovia gear is that it highlights how little organisation there is around the endgame climb.

You would think that you'd get to 70, then you're at tier 1 - so the dungeons give you tier 1 armour and then when you have enough, you move up to tier 2, then 3 and so on. But instead, all of the tiers give you the same seal, which you use to buy the second highest tier of gear. And you get a free set of gear which trivialises four or five of the modules anyway.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You can get yourself at or near the top level of endgame loot by doing the start of the Barovia questline. Once you get to the town square, you get a pack that gives you a full class-appropriate loadout, which you can then use to do the first two ranks of daily quests, which you can then spend at the seal vendor to get better gear.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I missed where you said you were level 25, so yeah, that's level 70 content. When you hit 70, do dungeons or sharandar until you have a full set of greens, then do Barovia for the free blues.

I'm not sure what the recommended order of the endgame modules is, but it's not listed in that order anywhere in game, so it might be worth looking up. There are huge differences in required gear score between say elemental evil and storm king.

I think it's still sharandar, then elemental evil, maybe dwarven king & underdark, and i'm not sure after that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I tend to put 2 points in every power until I hit 70 so I can play about and see what I like, then at 70 you can buy a reroll token from the orb lady, look up a build by searching "neverwinter scourge warlock 2019" on google and then going with whatever build sounds most fun.

You also get 2 loadouts free now, so you don't need to choose between paths. I tend to spec one loadout for solo and one for groups (I main a DC, so one is dps solo and the other is a tankier buff build).

You probably won't need skill points before that point, but I think by level (60?) you get enough points to open up one of the end-of-chain powers, and they can add huge utility.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Annath posted:

I found a pubbie guild which seems active enough, although they have a requirement that max level characters contribute something called "influence"? Is that a normal/reasonable requirement? I just don't want to find I'm being taken advantage of :v:
Influence is fine - you get it from guild dailies and you drop it off at the stronghold. Guild officers can see if you haven't been contributing.

Guilds which ask for zen or AD can get in the loving sea.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So someone on reddit just claimed that healing is an actual role again. Is this true? Because if so it might be worth dusting off and respeccing my old DC.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Holy loving poo poo have they gone nuts with changes. Console just got 6.0 and uh... this is going to take a while to get my head around.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have no idea what's going on anymore. Divinity is now just a button I press that does nothing. My at wills are a case of 'use one 'til the pips are full then switch to get a damage bonus', right?

Is wisdom still a primary attribute? It says so on the wiki but I don't know if that's left over from the old version.

Divine glow got nerfed through the goddamn floor :smith:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think the worst thing about trying to find answers was that any search with Mod16 in it brings up a bunch of articles saying the game is dead and most of the playerbase has left.

I mean I enjoy the game, I'm not thinking of protest quitting or anything, and I'm sure I'll adapt eventually, but it's not made any easier by the lack of any way in game of reviewing the mechanics. I don't understand what divinity, sudden verdict and the other one are, and I can't find any good in-game info. I'm sure it explains it all for new players somewhere, but I'm pretty lost and am having to absorb it all slowly so that I can get my head around which perks to choose and why.

You don't mention encounter powers in your rotation, are they a thing?

Have Wizards changed much? My wife's main is a Wizard so I'm hoping not, she is not good at dealing with stuff changing.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 13, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dear god Tiamat is a shitshow now.