Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HJB posted:

I'd like Mark "J" Williams to do well but he's in a bit of a jam

I wouldn't mind if he lost, as it sets up the possibility of a Robertson-Robertson match in round 2.

E: the look on Maguire's face at the end of frame 15 said "Thank God I went 4-0 up, at least the loss will look credible."

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HappyCamperGL posted:

its all kicking off in the o'sullivan carter match. the players bumped shoulders and ronnie called carter 'mr angry'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI3Fe02It8I&t=1449s

e - welp, clearly carter's plan to wind up ronnie worked. the rocket is out.
i guess ding junhui is the favourite now?

Higgins is 8-0 up on Lisowski. Lisowski isn't exactly a favourite, but he's not terrible. Could be seeing the oldest world champion since Reardon in 1978 the way this is going.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HappyCamperGL posted:

Yeah, the Wizard has the better formthis year, and if it were all best of 19s i'd agree, but I do think the age thing counts against the likes him and Williams. Especially when you get to the marathon four session matches.

Higgins got to the final last year and only lost 18-15 to Selby at the peak of form, leading 6-2 after the first session. This year most of the top seeds are out, Judd Trump had a tiring first round, and the other QF in the top half is Mark Allen vs Kyren Wilson - both of whom got beaten convincingly by Higgins in 2017. I have to like Higgins to reach the final again, probably playing Ding.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

We're either going to have a new name on the trophy or the oldest champion since Reardon in 1978. And here we are at the arse end of the 2010s and Wilson is the only player left who wasn't born in the 1970s.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Looks like Kyren Wilson retired out of the tournament and substituted in Bashar al-Assad. Ballsy move, but I'm not sure it will help.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HappyCamperGL posted:

That shot by Williams :pusheen:

Pity about the rest of the frame. This is looking to be 17-14 Hawkins now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

They both are developing 1000-yard stares. They must be exhausted.

Yeah, they've been playing against themselves instead of each other since 14-13. Williams seems to have slightly more left in him, although that red Hawkins just took shows it's not foregone.

Also congrats on making page 2, I don't think we did last year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

gently caress me. It's 2018 and the Crucible final is Higgins vs Williams. Combined age of 85

You can't argue that they're both still top players, though. Williams was thinking of retiring, apparently, but this season has put the kibosh on that regardless I suspect.

Quote from John Higgins:

"[Williams] is bald, I am grey, so it will be a mental final."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HJB posted:

Hell of a final few frames last night, thought Hawkins would have enough as he had the more recent/relevant experience, but in the end he lost that as much as Williams won it. Always liked Mark so glad he's made the final, but at the time I thought the winner of Higgins-Trump would lift the title, and it'd take a monumental effort to change that.

Is this monumental enough for you?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HJB posted:

This is turning into a bizarre anti-climax.

I know, seven in a row and Higgins just hasn't been there today. Honestly I'm starting to believe Williams will win with a session to spare. That hasn't happened since 1993.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

"Two guys in their 40s, this will be a final from the 1970s, so boring, Barry Hearn must be in tears". loving hell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pvt. Public posted:

I'm watching this and still completely incredulous that the match is still, somehow, going.

Most people watching this are incredulous that Mark Williams' career is still somehow going.

Fun fact: whoever wins tonight will set a new record for longest span of world titles in the modern game, which is currently 13 years held by Higgins. If Higgins wins, he will set the all time record, beating Joe Davis's span of 1927-46 by a single year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

What a loving clearance

Under pressure, that was amazing. I don't know anyone else who could have done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

What a match that was.

• Locked thread