Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

It is finally here! The much anticipated and long awaited sequel to the God of War series has finally come out! I have always been a fan of the God of War series and this one might be the best one yet. This series holds a special place in my heart as one of the two that I would call my favorite.

The Story
Many years have passed since Kratos took his vengeance against the Olympian gods. Having survived his final encounter with his father Zeus, Kratos now lives with his young son Atreus in the world of the Norse gods, a savage land inhabited by many ferocious monsters and warriors. In order to teach his son how to survive in such a world, Kratos must master the rage that has driven him for many years and embrace his newfound role as a father and mentor.

Latest Update

The Characters

The Godslayer Kratos is back in this whole new adventure where he must face his greatest challenge; being a father. In this game he has discarded the Blades of Chaos for a new weapon, the Levaithan Axe; a magical weapon imbued with the element of ice, and has a ability to return to Kratos after being thrown, among other things.

The newest addition to the God of War series, we are introduced to Kratos' son Atreus as he and Kratos prepare to face the world together, armed with a bow Atreus provides support by raining arrows down on foes while Kratos hacks them apart.

The LP
This LP will be a blind one so avoid as many spoilers as possible for this one

Table of Contents

POST GAME CONTENT

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Been looking forward to this game. Good luck. Please show off all the bosses you can thanks.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
Really nice to see this. Ark could you turn the captions on?

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

savixeon posted:

Really nice to see this. Ark could you turn the captions on?

Yes I can, I didn't even think to do that

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

achtungnight posted:

Been looking forward to this game. Good luck. Please show off all the bosses you can thanks.

Will do!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hold on, I thought this was a reboot, it's actually a sequel? I guess they ran out of Greek gods and now the Norse pantheon is on the chopping block.

What's the over/under for Loki backstabbing Kratos? 3.5 episodes?

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Omobono posted:

Hold on, I thought this was a reboot, it's actually a sequel? I guess they ran out of Greek gods and now the Norse pantheon is on the chopping block.

What's the over/under for Loki backstabbing Kratos? 3.5 episodes?

I think kratos would do to loki like what he did to Hermes in the 3rd god of war

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't know- if Kratos is going to kill the Norse Pantheon, wouldn't Loki be on his side, at least for a while?

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know- if Kratos is going to kill the Norse Pantheon, wouldn't Loki be on his side, at least for a while?

Not 100% sure, esp when it comes to Loki. You would think so because in norse mythology Loki is the one who starts ragnarok, so maybe in this one Kratos is the cause of it?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'd kinda lost interest in God of War, but this one has taken a different enough approach that I'm actually pretty interested in seeing how it turns out.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Blind Sally posted:

I'd kinda lost interest in God of War, but this one has taken a different enough approach that I'm actually pretty interested in seeing how it turns out.

Well I hope to live up to your expectations and PLEASE feel free to give me any feedback, I am still newish to the LP scene and im still a small channel so any feedback is much appreciated

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Playing as ragaholic sociopath Kratos was funny when I was 10 years younger than I am now, but the character really lost its appeal once the main trilogy was done with. So I'm somewhat keen on seeing how this one turns out as well before I decide to buy it for myself or not.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Playing as ragaholic sociopath Kratos was funny when I was 10 years younger than I am now, but the character really lost its appeal once the main trilogy was done with. So I'm somewhat keen on seeing how this one turns out as well before I decide to buy it for myself or not.

I think they have done a great job so far swapping it from a hack and slash rage induced kill fest, to a more flushed out story with characters you can actually care about

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm appreciating this new Dad of War take they have going on.

Also appreciating the little touches, like him trying to reach out to comfort his kid after the deer was killed but not able to.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Were those glowing orange points supposed to be weak spots? Or are they purely decorative. That seemed like a lot of health for a first boss.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The First GoW had a story that wasn't great, but did the trick just fine. The second and the third games' stories were just a mess. This game however seem to have a good story.

Anyway, interesting note about Kratos' axe; it looks like a cross between an executioner axe and a battle axe. It's like somebody started with an executioner axe as a base model, but modified its shape to that of a battle axe. That makes it an axe which is too heavy for a normal human to use one-handed, but can be used effectively by someone with superhuman strength. It's also not so big that it creates center of gravity problems, unlike say Cloud's Buster sword and Gutz's Dragonslayer. I think this is by accident, but I think it's still cool that they gave Kratos an axe that makes sense for someone with superhuman strength.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

lobster22221 posted:

Were those glowing orange points supposed to be weak spots? Or are they purely decorative. That seemed like a lot of health for a first boss.

In a loading screen it says that they are weakspots in that if you hit them it should stun the boss, I just think I wasnt hitting them right

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

citybeatnik posted:

I'm appreciating this new Dad of War take they have going on.

Also appreciating the little touches, like him trying to reach out to comfort his kid after the deer was killed but not able to.

It's nice to see the more human side of him rather than the bloodthirsty kill everything side. He just needs to work on his anger a bit haha

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Crystalgate posted:

The First GoW had a story that wasn't great, but did the trick just fine. The second and the third games' stories were just a mess. This game however seem to have a good story.

Anyway, interesting note about Kratos' axe; it looks like a cross between an executioner axe and a battle axe. It's like somebody started with an executioner axe as a base model, but modified its shape to that of a battle axe. That makes it an axe which is too heavy for a normal human to use one-handed, but can be used effectively by someone with superhuman strength. It's also not so big that it creates center of gravity problems, unlike say Cloud's Buster sword and Gutz's Dragonslayer. I think this is by accident, but I think it's still cool that they gave Kratos an axe that makes sense for someone with superhuman strength.

I actually liked the story of the 2nd and 3rd games, esp the 3rd one but those stories fit the hack and slash genre they were trying to create, this one while the combat is still "sort of" hack and slash it feels more methodical? Maybe even dark soulsish? My point is that the combat is def more suited for this more story driven game rather than the first 3

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode we are back at the house when a stranger comes to the door, claiming to know who or what Kratos is, but that is not all there is to this man....

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Definitely plan on picking this up. Watching the first vid now and I'm noticing that Kratos looks a bit like Ben Kingsley. Weird.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Vicissitude posted:

Definitely plan on picking this up. Watching the first vid now and I'm noticing that Kratos looks a bit like Ben Kingsley. Weird.

Yea I can kinda see that

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The only god that is supposed to be (near) invulnerable is Baldur, although the stranger lacks absolutely every other attribute Baldur is supposed to have. Regardless, Kratos may want to stock up on mistletoe just in case.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
With the stranger saying that he felt nothing and that nothing can hurt him I think he might be Baldur. Which probably means that Kratos breaking his neck didn't kill him.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

savixeon posted:

With the stranger saying that he felt nothing and that nothing can hurt him I think he might be Baldur. Which probably means that Kratos breaking his neck didn't kill him.

Crystalgate posted:

The only god that is supposed to be (near) invulnerable is Baldur, although the stranger lacks absolutely every other attribute Baldur is supposed to have. Regardless, Kratos may want to stock up on mistletoe just in case.

See I thought the same thing, cuz isn’t Baldur almost considered the Norse version of the love god? From the mythology I read it doesn’t seem to match up with the stranger. But who knows with this game

My guess is Loki only from the line he spouts about not being his brother

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 22, 2018

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

See I thought the same thing, cuz isn’t Baldur almost considered the Norse version of the love god? From the mythology I read it doesn’t seem to match up with the stranger. But who knows with this game

My guess is Loki only from the line he spouts about not being his brother

If you're thinking that the brother he mentions is Thor, he would still be considered his brother since they are both sons of Odin. As for the stranger not matching up with the mythological version of Baldur it wouldn't be the first time a video game has put their own twist on a mythological figure.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

savixeon posted:

If you're thinking that the brother he mentions is Thor, he would still be considered his brother since they are both sons of Odin. As for the stranger not matching up with the mythological version of Baldur it wouldn't be the first time a video game has put their own twist on a mythological figure.

Very true which is why the Baldur theory is still a possibility. We will have to wait and see

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

My first thought was Odin but I clearly was wrong, Stranger doesn't feel like Loki while Baldr is like the only non-rear end in a top hat Norse god so :shrug: either way they're taking liberties.
If at any point in the game we get any mistletoe-based weaponry then we're getting a Baldr boss fight though, everyone and their dog knows about that; wasn't one of the prophecies about the beginning of Ragnarok about Loki killing Baldr with a mistletoe arrow?

On the other hand, if the LPer is right and Kratos' wife was Freyja then that would make the boy Baldr, and I don't know, I see it even less.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Omobono posted:

My first thought was Odin but I clearly was wrong, Stranger doesn't feel like Loki while Baldr is like the only non-rear end in a top hat Norse god so :shrug: either way they're taking liberties.
If at any point in the game we get any mistletoe-based weaponry then we're getting a Baldr boss fight though, everyone and their dog knows about that; wasn't one of the prophecies about the beginning of Ragnarok about Loki killing Baldr with a mistletoe arrow?

On the other hand, if the LPer is right and Kratos' wife was Freyja then that would make the boy Baldr, and I don't know, I see it even less.

I’m loving all this discussion, maybe we get tricked into starting Ragnarok or something, or we could all be wrong and they are just playing fast and loose with the characters we meet. I’m excited to find out though. As for freyja I have nothing to go on besides the name.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Considering how God of War treats it's mythology anything is possible.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Koorisch posted:

Considering how God of War treats it's mythology anything is possible.

Makes it all the more fun to speculate

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I would argue that being sent to kill a godslaying rage monster like Kratos would give any god a reason to be a dick, so Baldur being a nice guy normally but a jerk to Kratos checks out, imo. Add in some creative liberties with his inability to be hurt and feel pain and someone who might finally be a challenge and we get normally nice Baldur acting like a jackass.

Also yeah, he feels like he’ll come back.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would argue that being sent to kill a godslaying rage monster like Kratos would give any god a reason to be a dick, so Baldur being a nice guy normally but a jerk to Kratos checks out, imo. Add in some creative liberties with his inability to be hurt and feel pain and someone who might finally be a challenge and we get normally nice Baldur acting like a jackass.

Also yeah, he feels like he’ll come back.

He actually wasn’t even sent there to kill Kratos. I believe he said that Odin sent him to find something but he antagonized Kratos to a fight.

And he is most definitely going to come back

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
If I remember correctly, Baldur could see the future in his dreams, and was a happy good guy until he saw his own fate. Then he went all emo, and Frigg decided to help him by making everything promise not to hurt him. The other gods had a good time throwing all kinds of things at him, but everything would change direction just before hitting him so nothing would actually touch him.
I could definitely see God of War turning that into the Stranger.
Baldur's death is also one of the early signs of Ragnarok, so I assume he dies at the end and acts as a setup for the next game.

Also, cool LP. This game looks great.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Electric Hobo posted:

If I remember correctly, Baldur could see the future in his dreams, and was a happy good guy until he saw his own fate. Then he went all emo, and Frigg decided to help him by making everything promise not to hurt him. The other gods had a good time throwing all kinds of things at him, but everything would change direction just before hitting him so nothing would actually touch him.
I could definitely see God of War turning that into the Stranger.
Baldur's death is also one of the early signs of Ragnarok, so I assume he dies at the end and acts as a setup for the next game.

Also, cool LP. This game looks great.

See now this makes a lot more sense, I forgot about the promise to make sure he didn’t get hurt, and if I remember correctly Loki tricks a girl into throwing a dart or shooting an arrow at him with mistletoe on it which is what killed him so maybe instead of a girl it will be Kratos this time?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

See now this makes a lot more sense, I forgot about the promise to make sure he didn’t get hurt, and if I remember correctly Loki tricks a girl into throwing a dart or shooting an arrow at him with mistletoe on it which is what killed him so maybe instead of a girl it will be Kratos this time?
Almost, during one the gods' " try to kill Baldur"-gatherings, Loki got Baldur's blind brother Høder (Danish name, I don't know what else to call him) to shoot a mistletoe arrow at Baldur, which killed him. Frigg didn't swear in the mistletoe since that was the only thing she considered completely harmless.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Electric Hobo posted:

Almost, during one the gods' " try to kill Baldur"-gatherings, Loki got Baldur's blind brother Høder (Danish name, I don't know what else to call him) to shoot a mistletoe arrow at Baldur, which killed him. Frigg didn't swear in the mistletoe since that was the only thing she considered completely harmless.

All I saw from that was Hodor, lol. Thank you for the clarification though. Greek and Roman mythology was my strong suit over Norse

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
drat, the Stranger fight was brutal as heck. This game visuals are incredible, and I'm really enjoying the fluid cinematic style of it.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Also! I just thumbed through my copy of Gesta Danorum, which I assume few people know around here. It's something like The Stories and Deeds of the Danes, and is a mix of mythical and historical events, as told by a christian monk, so all the old gods are nutcases, swindlers and rear end in a top hat.
Anyway, his version of Baldur is much more aggressive than the Norse mythology version, and actively attacks Høder in a fight over a woman. Baldur is killed by magic sword at the end.
It's probably stupid to assume that the developers care about this stuff, but it fits in pretty well with the stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

This is a shockingly good game and absolutely breathes life back into the franchise which had been 100% running on fumes since the end of 3. Kratos was great in 1, and while he was lovely in 2 and 3 it was mostly intentional and the games constantly called him out on his bullshit. However his schtick was pretty tired by the end of 3, and going in a new direction with him like this actually works.

• Locked thread