Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Fat Samurai posted:

It's a tradition for Kratos to visit the Hell-equivalent at lest once a game.

Its an easy trope for a game like this to include haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode we make our way to escape Helheim, but both Atreus and Kratos are confronted of the sins of their past...

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

In this episode we journey back up the mountain, and along the way Atreus attitude takes a drastic change, and not for the better

At about 42 minutes: did Kratos just parry Midgard?

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

In this episode we make our way to escape Helheim, but both Atreus and Kratos are confronted of the sins of their past...

And then he parries Helheim, too. Doesn't even break his guard in either case.

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 31, 2018

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Wa11y posted:

At about 42 minutes: did Kratos just parry Midgard?

Bahaha seems like it, or Midgard just got hit with the angriest meteor it has ever seen

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Kudos for the developers for making Atreus still a competent AI controlled character when he's being a dick and not following your commands.

I have never wanted to sew someone's lips shut more than this boy's after this latest update. Outside of some real life self-absorbed hatemongers I shall not name here, that is. Boy, you need some harsh lessons in reality. Even Gods can die and it is good for them to have limits, even if they must be self-imposed. Then again, I guess it's common character development for Gods to learn this lesson. That's why they're among my favorite characters in lots of fantasy works.

I got to say, I loved the end confrontation with Balder in this latest video. Brutal beatdowns and spitting out arrows like they didn't hurt him at all. Dang, this guy is tough! And Atreus... drat! Ok, good of Kratos to use his name where it counts most. And wrestling on the back of a flying beast... I remember doing this in previous GoW games, but it is so much more awesome now. Thanks for this LP, Arc. This game deserves all the exposure it gets. If you want to do the many previous games, you have my blessing. Your choice for interest and time of course.

Side Mission comments- "Good leaders make hard choices, the best take responsibility for them." If yearbooks at my local school weren't already out and I knew anyone in need, I'd be suggesting this to someone for a senior quote. Very inspiring. "Keep your expectations low, boy, and you'll never be disappointed." is another good one.

I will be disappointed if when we get the full Infinity Gauntlet with all 6 Stones, we can't just kill half the enemies on screen with a finger snap.

Edit- ah shoot, now I got to watch ep 19!

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

achtungnight posted:

Kudos for the developers for making Atreus still a competent AI controlled character when he's being a dick and not following your commands.

I have never wanted to sew someone's lips shut more than this boy's after this latest update. Outside of some real life self-absorbed hatemongers I shall not name here, that is. Boy, you need some harsh lessons in reality. Even Gods can die and it is good for them to have limits, even if they must be self-imposed. Then again, I guess it's common character development for Gods to learn this lesson. That's why they're among my favorite characters in lots of fantasy works.

I got to say, I loved the end confrontation with Balder in this latest video. Brutal beatdowns and spitting out arrows like they didn't hurt him at all. Dang, this guy is tough! And Atreus... drat! Ok, good of Kratos to use his name where it counts most. And wrestling on the back of a flying beast... I remember doing this in previous GoW games, but it is so much more awesome now. Thanks for this LP, Arc. This game deserves all the exposure it gets. If you want to do the many previous games, you have my blessing. Your choice for interest and time of course.

Side Mission comments- "Good leaders make hard choices, the best take responsibility for them." If yearbooks at my local school weren't already out and I knew anyone in need, I'd be suggesting this to someone for a senior quote. Very inspiring. "Keep your expectations low, boy, and you'll never be disappointed." is another good one.

I will be disappointed if when we get the full Infinity Gauntlet with all 6 Stones, we can't just kill half the enemies on screen with a finger snap.

Edit- ah shoot, now I got to watch ep 19!

Haha I don't know if I am gonna do the older games, it would feel weird to go backwards in the series you know? I am glad that you are enjoying the LP though, right now I am actually looking for another game to LP haven't seen any that have piqued my interest yet, I've been actually looking for a person to do a playthrough with but no luck yet

Kratos does give quite a few nuggets of wisdom throughout this game I would say

As for the infinity gauntlet I know that the more stones you have the more stuff it does, kill half the enemies on screen it does not though haha

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 31, 2018

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Haha I don't know if I am gonna do the older games, it would feel weird to go backwards in the series you know? I am glad that you are enjoying the LP though, right now I am actually looking for another game to LP haven't seen any that have piqued my interest yet, I've been actually looking for a person to do a playthrough with but no luck yet

Kratos does give quite a few nuggets of wisdom throughout this game I would say

As for the infinity gauntlet I know that the more stones you have the more stuff it does, kill half the enemies on screen it does not though haha

Have you tried putting the stone you have IN the gauntlet?

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Aumanor posted:

Have you tried putting the stone you have IN the gauntlet?

I have not yet

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode familial bonds are reforged as we have uncovered a new way to travel to Jotunheim

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:kratos: "we can flip the temple"
:geno: "Do what now?"

Ok, this game's writing is really good.
I honestly wasn't expecting good writing from Dad of War, sequel to God of War, but here we are.

(We also need a :dadtos: emote now. Or :BOI:)

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Omobono posted:

:kratos: "we can flip the temple"
:geno: "Do what now?"

Ok, this game's writing is really good.
I honestly wasn't expecting good writing from Dad of War, sequel to God of War, but here we are.

(We also need a :dadtos: emote now. Or :BOI:)

We are so angry that we are literally flipping temples

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mimir’s gradual realisation that he is with the two maddest gods in all the realms is a thing of beauty in this game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lord_Magmar posted:

Mimir’s gradual realisation that he is with the two maddest gods in all the realms is a thing of beauty in this game.

It's only madness if you can't literally pick up and entire building and flip it over.

Atreus probably just thinks this is a Dad Thing that all dads can do, like picking up whole trees with one hand.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Anyone who enjoys this game should check out the film Unbreakable, imo one of the better Dad films out there. It reminds me of the Kratos-Atreus relationship a bit. Not saying more to avoid thread derail.

I bet a flipped temple will be the least of the Norse pantheon’s concerns when our heroes are done- if unchained dragons, dead gods, and so forth aren’t of serious concern already that is.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

achtungnight posted:

Anyone who enjoys this game should check out the film Unbreakable, imo one of the better Dad films out there. It reminds me of the Kratos-Atreus relationship a bit. Not saying more to avoid thread derail.

I bet a flipped temple will be the least of the Norse pantheon’s concerns when our heroes are done- if unchained dragons, dead gods, and so forth aren’t of serious concern already that is.

Seeing as an army of jotun attacking the gods is quite literally the thing that truly signifies Ragnarok, yeah I think us going over there is foreshadowing a whole heap of trouble for aesir. As if Kratos wasn't enough on his own.

Probably gonna be some flippin' trouble

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Seeing as an army of jotun attacking the gods is quite literally the thing that truly signifies Ragnarok, yeah I think us going over there is foreshadowing a whole heap of trouble for aesir. As if Kratos wasn't enough on his own.

Probably gonna be some flippin' trouble

Let's see, Tyr was beloved by the Giants, the little we've seen of said Giants paint them as reasonable people, Kratos is trying to turn a new leaf...
Kratos is going to adopt the Jotuns, isn't he?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Omobono posted:

Let's see, Tyr was beloved by the Giants, the little we've seen of said Giants paint them as reasonable people, Kratos is trying to turn a new leaf...
Kratos is going to adopt the Jotuns, isn't he?

Kratos IS Loki, you heard it here first!

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
And right past the Little poo poo part of his development cycle, we have an updated Boy Count!

Boy Count: 164
Atreus Count: 32

Kratos didn't call him Atreus at ALL during said Little poo poo bit, and only called him BOY during the rune slab reading, pretty much.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Takezio posted:

And right past the Little poo poo part of his development cycle, we have an updated Boy Count!

Boy Count: 164
Atreus Count: 32

Kratos didn't call him Atreus at ALL during said Little poo poo bit, and only called him BOY during the rune slab reading, pretty much.

Alright anyone got any predictions of what the count is going to be by the end of the series

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
Alright everyone I just recorded the final episode of the story side of God of War, it is quite a bit longer than the other episodes buy BOI is it packed full of awesome moments! Because it is longer than most of the other episodes it will take a bit longer to export and then upload from my editing software, but fear not! It shall be going up today and if you do watch it I highly recommend watching it in its entirety for all the great moments.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

This is it guys! This is the LP finale for the story side of God of War, as you can see it is quite a longer episode than the others but the entire thing is jam packed so I HIGHLY recommend to watch it in its entirety. Also, if you have not watched the video I WOULD NOT READ PAST THIS POST. There will probably (hopefully) be numerous points of discussion and all of them will contain spoilers.

Now that being said our adventures are not over, I still have a couple more episodes planned, I have another side mission to do, I still have the Realm of Fire and Fog to do, and of course I have to take down the Valkyries, so be sure to stay tuned in for those and watch me die a lot....

All this being said I want to thank everyone who came and supported this thread. It has been by far my most successful LP to date and it is all thanks to your guys' support and discussions of the content, so from the bottom of my heart thank you for the support and be sure to stay tuned in, I am currently trying to find a new game to play so any recommendations are welcome as well!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Oh my gosh! It was THE BOY! It was THE BOY all along!

I actually dropped two hints for this revelation that only experts in Norse mythos would probably catch- when I talked about what I'd like to do to jerkass Atreus and when I speculated about what forms he should take if he could turn into an animal. Loki could assume such forms and suffered such a fate at one point in the myths. Belated apologies for this.

Whatever your next LP, good luck with it. I look forward to watching the rest of the videos. We still have five Infinity Stones to acquire, if I'm not mistaken.

One more time for posterity- IT WAS THE BOY!!!!!!!

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

achtungnight posted:

I actually dropped two hints for this revelation that only experts in Norse mythos would probably catch- when I talked about what I'd like to do to jerkass Atreus and when I speculated about what forms he should take if he could turn into an animal. Loki could assume such forms and suffered such a fate at one point in the myths. Belated apologies for this.

Whatever your next LP, good luck with it. I look forward to watching the rest of the videos. We still have five Infinity Stones to acquire, if I'm not mistaken.

I FLIPPED OUT when he said that, the writing in this game was so goddamn good I cannot believe it, and the entire end fight was one of the best fight sequences I have ever seen in a video game, I had chills almost the entire end portion of this game so major props to the developers for giving us one of the best endings to a game I have ever seen

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, I flipped out too. Seriously, they're going to have to do some retconning to make it mesh with the original myths better next game. Maybe the original Norse version of the secret identity character (not saying specifics till more people join the discussion) is a separate character who befriended Odin early on and we get a boss fight with him? The World Serpent may need a new origin story if they're not doing that. [sigh] I really hope time travel isn't involved, that has such potential to screw up everything. I guess we'll see.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

achtungnight posted:

Yeah, I flipped out too. Seriously, they're going to have to do some retconning to make it mesh with the original myths better next game. Maybe the original Norse version of the secret identity character (not saying specifics till more people join the discussion) is a separate character who befriended Odin early on and we get a boss fight with him? The World Serpent may need a new origin story if they're not doing that. [sigh] I really hope time travel isn't involved, that has such potential to screw up everything. I guess we'll see.

Well if you remember Mimir already talked about time travel and how in Ragnarok the battle between him and Thor splintered the world tree and sent the World Serpent back in time to before his birth

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ugh, I forgot about that. Ok then, maybe next game we got some plot to do. I hope they keep up their good writing. I really do.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well they do have the thingie to travel to other worlds, it pretty much screams sequel hooks.
I also chuckled to myself whenever you mentioned that Loki was missing, like just you wait man!
Its gonna be pretty amazing when Super Best Friends get to the reveal.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 7, 2018

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Dreadwroth posted:

Its gonna be pretty amazing when Super Best Friends get to the reveal.
Ever since "Oh my god, Kratos is going to HAAAATE Loki" I have been waiting for the payoff.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Regarding that mural you asked what the hell it was, it looked like Atreus cradling a fallen, possibly dead, Kratos. Hence his response when Atreus says they're near the end.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I was just watching a bit in Tyrs vault and Mimir recognizes a knife from his homeland and calls it something in Celtish, so I guess they wrote him to be spme variety of Celt diety?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

achtungnight posted:

There's actually another really obvious hint you might get if you listen to Mimir enough. Essentially hes telling the myth thats "supposed" to be the origin of Slepnir. For those not in the know, Slepnir is Odins special eight legged horse who was concinved when Loki turns into a female horse to distract a giants special magic male horse and win a bet. This tends to be a rather jnfamous myth. The version Mimir would be really really weird to myth nerds as it has absolutely no reference to a Loki and the entire thing turns out differently.

I think there's other cases of Mimir describing famous Loki myths but without Loki

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:tviv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_QsFEkPErY

I was wondering early on where that particular rear end in a top hat was.
To quote Mimir when he discovered who was Kratos' father: your father was Zeus Kratos?!? Well that explains a lot.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Vicissitude posted:

Regarding that mural you asked what the hell it was, it looked like Atreus cradling a fallen, possibly dead, Kratos. Hence his response when Atreus says they're near the end.

This is pretty much it yeah, people with certain special editions translated the runes as BETRAYAL, LOSS, PAIN, HATRED

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I cant wait for Boy of War: Revengance.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Dreadwroth posted:

I was just watching a bit in Tyrs vault and Mimir recognizes a knife from his homeland and calls it something in Celtish, so I guess they wrote him to be spme variety of Celt diety?
A sgian-dubh. I dunno about Mimir being a deity proper, but the game's definitely doing a thing where it's acknowledging that the british isles are like RIGHT THERE across the north sea from scandinavia. At some point Mimir tells a story about how he became a wise man, and it involved a cycle of advising a king, pissing off said king, and fleeing north, which repeated until he arrived here and conned Odin using a well that he dumped a shitload of psychedelic mushrooms into.

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is pretty much it yeah, people with certain special editions translated the runes as BETRAYAL, LOSS, PAIN, HATRED

Lord_Magmar posted:

BETRAYAL, LOSS, PAIN, HATRED

:shittypop:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

achtungnight posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I alluded to earlier, and it's a cool and good twist for reasons I will explain.

First, the reason norse mythology nerds might have seen this coming is twofold, besides the whole Loki wondering about animal shapes, which his ability is one of his defining features.

Loki's parents from mythology are Laufaye (Lauvøy/Nål) who was maybe not a jotun, but possibly an aesir goddess or something in between. His father was Fårbaute (Fárbauti), a jotun and his defining characteristic is "the one who punches like really extremely hard" no, I'm serious that's what his name means. Remind you of any protagonists we know in this game here? Apart from the whole jotun thing and also that they were supposed to have two more children in addition to Loki, this is actually fairly accurate to the myths I have to say. Massive kudos to the writers. Also funny, Fårbaute is the guy who rows the boat that takes you to the death realm in some myths, and that's both literally and figuratively funny to attribute to Kratos (wanna go to the death realm, Kratos will get you there and also he rows a boat).

So both the fact that Faye is obviously short for Lafaye, and Kratos is a pretty good candidate for "dude who punches the poo poo out of things" were pretty big giveaways. Atreus being Loki is brilliant, and also kind of obvious from his breaking the spell of Balder's protection, in the myths Loki also is the one who breaks the spell, but isn't the one to directly kill Balder. Again, fairly accurate to the overall story.

As was mentioned before, in norse mythology time is cyclical. I absolutely expect Loki to truly be the "father" of Jormungandr, Fenris and the whole lot and the ending to this video pretty much confirms that Kratos and Loki have started Ragnarok. By setting in motion the events of Ragnarok they are now faced with the Fimbulwinter, a winter that will last three years and signals the start of massive massive warfare to end all warfare. The gods will seek war, the jotuns attack the gods, Surtr makes an appearance and burns the place to the ground etc.

The survivors of Ragnarok will take shelter in Hoard-Mímir's forest/copse, which is a direct linkage to the "new" growth of a new Yggdrasil. And yes, that would be Mimir (probably). The guy on Kratos belt. I guess that's gonna come up as a thing we need to find or do in a later game. It's possibly a secret location/secret well under the roots of Yggdrasil.

Now, as to the character of Loki.

We all know of Loki from the Marvel movies as some sort of backstabbing rear end in a top hat. The thing is, mythologically speaking Loki is a fair bit more complicated than this.

Loki is first and foremost a trickster god. His role is of the catalyst, the changer of things. As a sort of binding between the realm and power of the jotun - without which the aesir were much reduced - and the gods themselves, Loki in mythology is the facilitator of a great number of stories, myths, fights etc. In addition to being a disruptive influence on the gods he is of course the prime mover of the events of Ragnarok. Loki isn't however an evil god, as he's often depicted. His backstabbery comes from his innate chaos and violation of the established order... in D&D terms, I'd consider him Chaotic Neutral.

While Loki isn't evil, he is also not good per se. He is merely capable, strong-willed, and most importantly a fearless critic of the gods. After the murder of Balder, Loki's criticism of the gods and their behaviour is his primary trangsgression, and is the reason for the gods binding him in a cave with his own son's entrails and where a serpent drips poison on him (Eitr) while his wife shields him with a bowl. The theme of bondage is common among Loki's children, as they all will be set free to wreak their havoc at Ragnarok. Loki himself breaks free and attacks the aesir at the head of a jotun army, so I guess not all the jotun can be dead quite yet. Loki's arguably most important role in facilitating Ragnarok is demonstrating the breaking of Odin's power over the jotun.

It's unclear whether Loki dies at Ragnarok or not. He is supposed to be locked into mortal combat with Heimdall, guardian of the bifrost and greater aesir god. They apparently kill eachother, Heimdall killing Loki by severing his head, but then again Loki is a trickster god...

Anyway, I have to give a massive applause to the writers of this game, they hosed up wayyy less of the mythology than they could have given the insertion of Kratos as Farbauti, and the only thing I can find to complain about is that god. damned. norse. canoe. There were no old norse canoes! gently caress.

Fantastic LP, thanks for showing off this game, Ark. I think I can see where the story ought to go from here, so I'm hoping we get more God of Kicking norse rear end in the future.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 7, 2018

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I really want Mimir to be Cernunos for some perverse reason, like to give them a handy reason to go visit the Celt pantheon

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
So I watched the end of Jacksepticeyes LP of this, mostly to see his reaction and he saw something that I missed on the far end of the mural there is a bunch of missing parts but in the far end it shows Atreus standing with a wolf so that is possibly alluding to him and Fenrir

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
So I was looking up the locations for the rest of the Infinity Stones and I found out that I actually already have the Space stone, if you remember in the episode with Odin's Secret Chamber I opened a chest that had an enchantment called the Eye of the Outer Realms, that is apparently the space stone. So 2 down 4 to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

So I was looking up the locations for the rest of the Infinity Stones and I found out that I actually already have the Space stone, if you remember in the episode with Odin's Secret Chamber I opened a chest that had an enchantment called the Eye of the Outer Realms, that is apparently the space stone. So 2 down 4 to go!

Have you tried putting them both in the gauntlet yet?

• Locked thread