Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Angry Lobster posted:

drat, the Stranger fight was brutal as heck. This game visuals are incredible, and I'm really enjoying the fluid cinematic style of it.

I love it but it is also the one thing I’m nitpicky about, often I don’t know where the cutscene ends and where the combat begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Electric Hobo posted:

Also! I just thumbed through my copy of Gesta Danorum, which I assume few people know around here. It's something like The Stories and Deeds of the Danes, and is a mix of mythical and historical events, as told by a christian monk, so all the old gods are nutcases, swindlers and rear end in a top hat.
Anyway, his version of Baldur is much more aggressive than the Norse mythology version, and actively attacks Høder in a fight over a woman. Baldur is killed by magic sword at the end.
It's probably stupid to assume that the developers care about this stuff, but it fits in pretty well with the stranger.

I would think that the developers would try to at least loosely follow the mythos to make their game more enjoyable so we shall see what creative liberties they have taken

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

RevolverDivider posted:

This is a shockingly good game and absolutely breathes life back into the franchise which had been 100% running on fumes since the end of 3. Kratos was great in 1, and while he was lovely in 2 and 3 it was mostly intentional and the games constantly called him out on his bullshit. However his schtick was pretty tired by the end of 3, and going in a new direction with him like this actually works.

I agree whole heartedly, I think if they tried to go in the same direction as the previous games it would not be doing as well as it has been.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I like the fact that your attacks actually stagger enemies. It makes the combat feel a hell of a lot more impact. I was always just so annoyed when the man who could kill gods would swing his blades, and the enemies would basically run through the attacks. But the over the shoulder camera makes the combat feel close up, brutal. But the threat indicator seems a pretty intuitive way to solve the loss of the wide angle fixed overhead camera.

Plus, that Stranger fight was awesome. My vote is for Balder.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I like the fact that your attacks actually stagger enemies. It makes the combat feel a hell of a lot more impact. I was always just so annoyed when the man who could kill gods would swing his blades, and the enemies would basically run through the attacks. But the over the shoulder camera makes the combat feel close up, brutal. But the threat indicator seems a pretty intuitive way to solve the loss of the wide angle fixed overhead camera.

Plus, that Stranger fight was awesome. My vote is for Balder.

I love the combat but I have to change the button layout. Hitting R1 and R2 for light and heavy attacks is super awkward for me when I’m so used to Square and Triangle

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I personally think Kratos is Balder... than the Stranger, who has more hair on his head. [crickets] Never mind.

That was an awesome fight and I look forward to future boss battles in this game and the sequels. In particular, I hope for a Skadi boss battle. For those who don't know, she's the Norse goddess of the hunt. We never fought Artemis in the previous God of War series, and there's some missed opportunity there.

I also hope for a boss fight against Ratatoszk. Maybe I've read too many Norse myth stories where the World Tree's Squirrel is a super tough critter.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

achtungnight posted:

I personally think Kratos is Balder... than the Stranger, who has more hair on his head. [crickets] Never mind.

That was an awesome fight and I look forward to future boss battles in this game and the sequels. In particular, I hope for a Skadi boss battle. For those who don't know, she's the Norse goddess of the hunt. We never fought Artemis in the previous God of War series, and there's some missed opportunity there.

I also hope for a boss fight against Ratatoszk. Maybe I've read too many Norse myth stories where the World Tree's Squirrel is a super tough critter.

I feel like Ratatoszk would be the comic relief of the series we shall see

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Hobo posted:

Almost, during one the gods' " try to kill Baldur"-gatherings, Loki got Baldur's blind brother Høder (Danish name, I don't know what else to call him) to shoot a mistletoe arrow at Baldur, which killed him. Frigg didn't swear in the mistletoe since that was the only thing she considered completely harmless.

To elaborate on this. Frigg did not swear in Mistletoe because it was brand new. A brand new harmless plant that had just came into existence. Of course Loki was listening in and found out that Mistiletoe was the one thing that could harm Baldur.

Then when Hoder wanted to participate in the throw things at Baldur games. Loki gave him a dart and said he would help guide it so it would not miss. And it killed Baldur. When Frigg tried to revive Baldur, Hel required that every being cry for Baldur for it to happen. However one Old Hag of a Giant refused to cry for him. (In some tellings the Hag is Loki is disguise.) Odin naturally was pissed about Baldur's death and with the Giantess Rindr produced a new Son named Vali created to avenge Baldur who grew to Adulthood in a single day. Vali killed Hoder and killed one of Loki's sons named Narfi. Vali then used Narfi's entrails to bind and imprison Loki.

Anyway Baldur indeed does not match the Stranger except in invulnerability. As Baldur was the God of Light, Love and Joy.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 23, 2018

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
Yea we have been going back and firth about if it is Baldur or not. Hopefully we find out soon enough

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Tsk. Here I was, hoping that someone would do an LP of the new God of War game, and here it is.

I liked the preview trailer, I hope that Kratos is less of a jerk this time around.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

painedforever posted:

Tsk. Here I was, hoping that someone would do an LP of the new God of War game, and here it is.

I liked the preview trailer, I hope that Kratos is less of a jerk this time around.

I would say that he is less ragemonger but still kindof a jerk

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

He's... less of a jerk. Harsh, rather than dickish.

The game's got a very different feel to it, doesn't it? Over the shoulder rather than fixed camera, and very introspective.

The boss fight with the Stranger was straight-up awesome!

Any chance you could include screen captures from the journal and monster manual? Those look cool.

And do the collectibles get any story, like in Tomb Raider?

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

painedforever posted:

He's... less of a jerk. Harsh, rather than dickish.

The game's got a very different feel to it, doesn't it? Over the shoulder rather than fixed camera, and very introspective.

The boss fight with the Stranger was straight-up awesome!

Any chance you could include screen captures from the journal and monster manual? Those look cool.

And do the collectibles get any story, like in Tomb Raider?

The game as a whole has been a lot better besides the control issue that I was having, I will upload SS of the journal entries as well. As for the collectibles I’m sure they would have a story but I don’t actually know, I will try to find as many as possible

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Yea we have been going back and firth about if it is Baldur or not. Hopefully we find out soon enough
It could make some sense if this is Baldur after returning from Hel´s domains but since that´s supposed to happen during Ragnarok things still remains open.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
maybe, like, our myths and stuff are just, like, propaganda, man, and, like, Baldur was a huge rear end in a top hat all along!

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Sylphosaurus posted:

It could make some sense if this is Baldur after returning from Hel´s domains but since that´s supposed to happen during Ragnarok things still remains open.

Blind Sally posted:

maybe, like, our myths and stuff are just, like, propaganda, man, and, like, Baldur was a huge rear end in a top hat all along!

Yea and Loki is a good guy all that other stuff is fake news

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
I have the next episode recorded I just need to edit it and upload it so it will be up probably tomorrow morning

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

i think maybe you need to take a step back. this is another LP from you, one out of SIX, and all six of them seem really drat half-assed. i'm not saying that since the rise of youtube LP has seen a decline, but seriously, you need to stop.

there's a difference between doing a blind playthrough and dedicating your time and effort into a good LP, and doing a blind playthrough while phoning it in on that and five other threads.

finish the playthroughs you've started, or close them down to revisit later, but you're not giving your audience the time of day with these lovely threads, and it's insulting to the developers as well.

play the game, enjoy the game, learn about the game, then bring it here and tell us what we missed, or why it's worth watching versus some dude that doesn't use a microphone and just plays the drat game on youtube from day one.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If the Stranger is indeed Baldur and his invulnerability also left him unable to feel anything, then I can understand him being a psycopath and a jerk. It's pretty much a curse in disguise. Interesting twist.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 23, 2018

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Yea and Loki is a good guy all that other stuff is fake news
Not sure that I´d trust a guy who willingly hosed and got impregnated by a horse. Odin got a sweet ride out of it though..

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Angry Lobster posted:

If the Stranger is indeed Baldur and his invulnerability also left him unable to feel anything, then I can understand him being a psycopath and a jerk. It's pretty much a curse in disguise. Interesting twist.

I agree, I wonder if it is only pain he cannot feel or if he literally cannot FEEL anything, any emotions or anything of the sort, that would drive anyone batty

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It's a common motivation with villains. Captain Barbossa of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl is one that easily comes to mind. Also the Saint of Killers from the Preacher Comics. Immortality is good for protection, but if you don't want it, and it costs you the ability to feel... as you said, it can drive one mad.

Also, don't let the troll earlier get you down. I'm only watching two of your current LPs right now- South Park and this one, and I think you're doing fine. But if you need a break or to slow down for any reason, I am at least one fan who understands.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

achtungnight posted:

It's a common motivation with villains. Captain Barbossa of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl is one that easily comes to mind. Also the Saint of Killers from the Preacher Comics. Immortality is good for protection, but if you don't want it, and it costs you the ability to feel... as you said, it can drive one mad.

Also, don't let the troll earlier get you down. I'm only watching two of your current LPs right now- South Park and this one, and I think you're doing fine. But if you need a break or to slow down for any reason, I am at least one fan who understands.

Well thank you for the reassurance, and I wasn't going to stop, because I enjoy what I am doing

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

okay cool, i'll leave you and your many.. viewer.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Just don’t neglect the LP or start talking about something besides the game during the action. Note to all YouTube LPers- I do not watch your videos for your political opinions- especially on news stories that were over years ago and not interesting even then. You stop talking about the game and distract people from it, you’re not doing your job. Public Service Announcement.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Well thank you for the reassurance, and I wasn't going to stop, because I enjoy what I am doing

Exactly. If you're enjoying it and other people are too (which, from the thread discussion, they are) then who cares how the LP gets done. There may be a few valid points in there to consider, yes certainly. Everyone can stand to improve what they do, but you're doing fine for now.

Besides, if someone does want an in-depth and spit polished LP of this game, there's nothing stopping anyone else from taking a crack at it either. LP is a big tent.

draconic posted:

okay cool, i'll leave you and your many.. viewer.

But seriously, there's constructive criticism and then there's just being a dick. This is dickery. And not even high quality dickery either :rolleyes:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 24, 2018

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

achtungnight posted:

Just don’t neglect the LP or start talking about something besides the game during the action. Note to all YouTube LPers- I do not watch your videos for your political opinions- especially on news stories that were over years ago and not interesting even then. You stop talking about the game and distract people from it, you’re not doing your job. Public Service Announcement.

in this game the only off topic stuff I might talk about is maybe history, which kind of relates to the game anyway, or I might make say movie quotes which I do often.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
History and movie quotes are fine. Both can relate to the game. I mainly refer to LPers like the one I watched last week. He was playing Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce, a game about legendary Chinese warriors going super saiyan on each other and he starts ranting about a five year old incident involving someone named Zimmerman and whether it was racially motivated. I wasn’t even halfway through the LP and I clicked off. Boring game anyway. I doubt you’ll do anything like that.

Keep having fun, show off moves and optional bosses, take the valid advice (keep subtitles on, show off journal entries and collectibles, etc), don’t spread yourself too thin, don’t do too much too fast, you’ll do just fine.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

But seriously, there's constructive criticism and then there's just being a dick. This is dickery. And not even high quality dickery either :rolleyes:

Might be thematically appropriate for a God of War game. "A series of unfortunate dickeries", as the series was (probably? most likely? no, not even a little bit) marketed in England.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God of War is high quality dickery.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode we continue up the mountain, where we run into our first humans, and later on we come across the creator of the Leviathan Axe

Note: I recorded this episode right after the second one so I do not have the beastiary pages yet but I will get those up on Wednesday (4/25), and because of the such active involvement with this thread I will make sure to not record multiple episodes from now on as I will want to touch on some of the stuff that we discussed (like our discussion about the Stranger being Baldur)

New Characters

Brok is a foul mouthed dwarf who coincidentally created the Leviathan axe, and he introduces us to a new feature to the God of War series, crafting our own armor, and upgrading our weapons.

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 24, 2018

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
Do you guys like the half hour episodes or would you rather a longer episode like 45-60 min episode?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Whatever length works best for you.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

achtungnight posted:

Whatever length works best for you.

Ok I’ll just play it by ear then

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Would you be updating less often, or recording twice as much?

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

lobster22221 posted:

Would you be updating less often, or recording twice as much?

I would be recording twice as much, so instead of 30 min episodes it would be 45-60 min episodes, and my goal is to have an episode up at least every other day

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

I would be recording twice as much, so instead of 30 min episodes it would be 45-60 min episodes, and my goal is to have an episode up at least every other day

I'd be happy with longer episodes then, but only if you are comfortable doing it. If you need to go back to shorter episodes later on, thats fine too.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

lobster22221 posted:

I'd be happy with longer episodes then, but only if you are comfortable doing it. If you need to go back to shorter episodes later on, thats fine too.

See I didn’t mind long episodes because I don’t mind editing I’ve just gotten comments on previous posts that they like half hour long videos over longer ones so I wanted to gauge this audience

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

See I didn’t mind long episodes because I don’t mind editing I’ve just gotten comments on previous posts that they like half hour long videos over longer ones so I wanted to gauge this audience

As long as you keep up the good work, everyone should be happy, short or long. I advocated for longer videos, but if more people want 30 minute ones, then do 30 minute ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think that the length needs to be of a "natural size". See where the story beats arrive, and break up the video accordingly. Some will be longer, some will be shorter, and that's okay. You can edit out deaths pro-actively, we don't need to see failed runs (unless there are unique death screens).

I'd prefer shorter videos, but I'd also like them to be spaced out a bit, so that there's time for a bit more discussion between individual posts.

• Locked thread