Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

painedforever posted:

I think that the length needs to be of a "natural size". See where the story beats arrive, and break up the video accordingly. Some will be longer, some will be shorter, and that's okay. You can edit out deaths pro-actively, we don't need to see failed runs (unless there are unique death screens).

I'd prefer shorter videos, but I'd also like them to be spaced out a bit, so that there's time for a bit more discussion between individual posts.

I think I will try that approach and like I said I plan on doing a video every other day, which I think gives a decent amount of time for discussion and if things are going well like after episode 2 I might delay it a day so we can discuss it more, I don't know yet i'm just gonna play it by ear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

I think I will try that approach and like I said I plan on doing a video every other day, which I think gives a decent amount of time for discussion and if things are going well like after episode 2 I might delay it a day so we can discuss it more, I don't know yet i'm just gonna play it by ear

Aren't you running 2 other LPs? Granted, Kirby is fairly short but still. Remember that quality is better than quantity.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

mastersord posted:

Aren't you running 2 other LPs? Granted, Kirby is fairly short but still. Remember that quality is better than quantity.

I don’t do them all on the same day so I don’t think quality will be an issue, I just work one episode of a different LP on different days. Like Wednesday’s is South Park and Thursday I will be doing another episode of God of War.

I mean I do have to get the beastiary pictures for GoW but that’s nothing

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 25, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

In this episode we continue up the mountain, where we run into our first humans, and later on we come across the creator of the Leviathan Axe

Note: I recorded this episode right after the second one so I do not have the beastiary pages yet but I will get those up on Wednesday (4/25), and because of the such active involvement with this thread I will make sure to not record multiple episodes from now on as I will want to touch on some of the stuff that we discussed (like our discussion about the Stranger being Baldur)

So... a couple of things:

1. I'm not sure if the Stranger can be Loki based on him talking about his "brother". Or maybe it is. The thing is that in Norse mythology, Loki is considered to be Odin's brother... depending on the source. It's complicated. He's a (half?) Jotunn (could be frost giants, could be trolls) whom Odin swore as his brother for siding with the Aesir against his fellow Frost Giants. I'm not sure what Loki's status is in the Thor comic books, however.

2. I've noticed that you've been having trouble with those larger Deurgars and the Revenants... did you try taking them on with fists? Those might be faster.

3. I love the gameplay of God of War a lot more than I did the previous games. It's very deliberate, but it flows a lot better than the very video-gamish combo-system. And the fights are an actual challenge rather than Kratos carving through hundreds of enemies like it ain't no thing. There's no combo system here at all, is there? And is this out on PC?

4. Atreus seems to be a version of the Princess from the last Prince of Persia or Elizabeth from Bioshock 3, kinda-sorta helping out with fighting and pointing out chests. Does he also point out collectibles or side-missions (I've heard that God of War is a lot more side-mission-y).

5. Could you turn up the voice volume (if it's a separate slider)? The dialogue isn't very clear.

6. Hrungnir is an actual thing! He was a Jotunn who wagered that his horse was faster than Odin's 8-legged horse, Sleipnir, died, wound up in Valhalla, and got Thor sicced on him for being drunk and disorderly. And yes, Thor shattered his skull, and Hrungnir fell on top of Thor.

7. Why does this game remind me so much of Hellblade: Sensua's Sacrifice? I haven't played it (or watched an LP of it), but I have seen trailers and screenshots, but something about God of War reminds me of it.

8. Idunn was a goddess in Norse mythology! She was associated with apples and youth. Her apples kept the Aesir young, and when a Jotunn kidnapped her, all of the gods turned old and grey. Loki had to go and get her back (considering that he caused her to be kidnapped). He flew to Thiazi's (the aforementioned Jotunn) nest in the shape of a falcon, turned Idunn into a nut to carry her back. Thiazi chased Loki in his eagle form. The gods set a fire so that when Loki flew near and changed back, Thiazi burnt his feathers and was killed.

9. Is there a map that shows where you've been and where you have yet to go?

10. Brokkr was a dwarf in Norse mythology! Norse dwarves were associated with wisdom, smithing, mining, crafting... pretty much all that we associate with dwarves from Tolkien or D&D. The "shortness" may have been due to Christianity reducing all of the old myths to "little folk". Brokkr specifically was a blacksmith, along with his brother Eitri. Brokkr worked the bellows while Eitri forged using magic. Loki once challenged them (betting his own head) to make items better than another set of dwarves, the Sons of Ivaldi. This being Loki, he also attempted to distract Brokkr so that he wouldn't be able to keep the forge hot enough for Eitri. Loki failed in distracting Brokkr for the first two items, but distracted him enough during the forging of Mjolnir (by biting Brokkr in the eye while in the form of a gadfly) that Mjolnir's handle was forged short, and Thor ever after had to wear magic gauntlets to wield it. The brothers won the challenge, but couldn't take Loki's head due to a legal loophole ("I've promised you my head, good dwarf, but not my throat!"). Brokkr therefore sewed Loki's mouth shut, so that he would be unable to brag about his trick afterwards.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In the Thor Comics Loki is the adopted brother of Thor, usually, found by Odin as a young Frost Giant and abandoned for being small.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

painedforever posted:

So... a couple of things:

1. I'm not sure if the Stranger can be Loki based on him talking about his "brother". Or maybe it is. The thing is that in Norse mythology, Loki is considered to be Odin's brother... depending on the source. It's complicated. He's a (half?) Jotunn (could be frost giants, could be trolls) whom Odin swore as his brother for siding with the Aesir against his fellow Frost Giants. I'm not sure what Loki's status is in the Thor comic books, however.

2. I've noticed that you've been having trouble with those larger Deurgars and the Revenants... did you try taking them on with fists? Those might be faster.

3. I love the gameplay of God of War a lot more than I did the previous games. It's very deliberate, but it flows a lot better than the very video-gamish combo-system. And the fights are an actual challenge rather than Kratos carving through hundreds of enemies like it ain't no thing. There's no combo system here at all, is there? And is this out on PC?

4. Atreus seems to be a version of the Princess from the last Prince of Persia or Elizabeth from Bioshock 3, kinda-sorta helping out with fighting and pointing out chests. Does he also point out collectibles or side-missions (I've heard that God of War is a lot more side-mission-y).

5. Could you turn up the voice volume (if it's a separate slider)? The dialogue isn't very clear.

7. Why does this game remind me so much of Hellblade: Sensua's Sacrifice? I haven't played it (or watched an LP of it), but I have seen trailers and screenshots, but something about God of War reminds me of it.

9. Is there a map that shows where you've been and where you have yet to go?

Holy comments Batman! Alright let me answer the questions in order, thank you for the history portions first of all I know the bare minimum about Norse myth, unlike Greek myth which was my focus in college, anyway

I did not try fighting them with my fists but I will keep that in mind, still kinda learning haha

As for combos I think I unlock new abilities as I gain exp, for example I just unlocked an ability that if I hold down the light attack button I throw my axe a short distance and it spins around, I don't remember what it's called it might be frost prison? I think I used it once in combat after I got it. This game is ps4 exclusive.

I'm not sure about side missions and collectibles yet for Atreus as I am only an hour and a half into the game, but God I hope so because I am awful at finding crap.

Yes I can turn up the dialogue volume

I can see why it would remind you of hellblade, the animation quality is very similar

There is a map

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 25, 2018

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Lord_Magmar posted:

In the Thor Comics Loki is the adopted brother of Thor, usually, found by Odin as a young Frost Giant and abandoned for being small.

Yea this is the main reason I thought the stranger was Loki, because he was using ice based powers that he might be similar the the Loki in the marvel universe

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
So I actually want to talk to you guys about the part with the cannibals, I thought it was a great moment to see Kratos act almost comforting to his son and its a great side to see of him

Note: sorry about the small dog barks at this part, I must have missed them during my editing process so I will be more diligent next time

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
So to simplify things I will put all the Beastiary entries on this post and from now on in each episode that I post I will add them in.

Draugr

Draugr (Projectile)

Heavy Draugr

Reaver

Revenant (Poison)

Daudi Kaupmadr (Troll)

The Stranger

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Daudi Kaupmadr (Troll)

As far as I know (which is limited), this isn't a real character from Norse mythology.

Actually, the entire concept of "troll" is a bit difficult in Norse mythology, because it seems as though the Jotnar (yes, there should be an ooo on top of the o, but I can't be bothered to look up the ASCII for it) are also trolls. Some reckon that they're all different classes of beings, but there is overlap.

In more contemporary Norwegian myths, the Hulder are also called "trolls", even though they are human-sized, blonde and beautiful... y'know, much like the regular people who live there, only with tails.

Anyway, Daudi might be a Jotunn, only not one of the well-known ones, which explains the overly-dramatic name. Daudi's basically that braggart that hangs around the pub, showing off his tattoos and his knives and pretends to be a tough guy and calls himself "Masher".

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

painedforever posted:

As far as I know (which is limited), this isn't a real character from Norse mythology.

Actually, the entire concept of "troll" is a bit difficult in Norse mythology, because it seems as though the Jotnar (yes, there should be an ooo on top of the o, but I can't be bothered to look up the ASCII for it) are also trolls. Some reckon that they're all different classes of beings, but there is overlap.

In more contemporary Norwegian myths, the Hulder are also called "trolls", even though they are human-sized, blonde and beautiful... y'know, much like the regular people who live there, only with tails.

Anyway, Daudi might be a Jotunn, only not one of the well-known ones, which explains the overly-dramatic name. Daudi's basically that braggart that hangs around the pub, showing off his tattoos and his knives and pretends to be a tough guy and calls himself "Masher".

Maybe the developers decided to refer to it as a troll for easy recognition?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I think that it’s supposed to be an undead jotunn (no dots, stop it). Daudi = dead. (it’s been a long-rear end time since I had any Norse in school, so uh.)

Kaupmadr is literally «buying man» (again it’s been years, could be wrong) ie a trader/merchant. The contemporary word for that in Norwegian is kjøpmann. Buying man.

Condoleezza Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 25, 2018

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I think that it’s supposed to be an undead jotunn (no dots, stop it). Daudi = dead. (it’s been a long-rear end time since I had any Norse in school, so uh.)

Kaupmadr is literally «buying man» (again it’s been years, could be wrong) ie a trader/merchant. The contemporary word for that in Norwegian is kjøpmann. Buying man.

YAY language lol, i took latin for 3 semesters and a semester of Greek so I know nothing about Norse

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

According to the beastiary entry, it's 'Death Merchant', instead of dead merchant.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Prythian posted:

According to the beastiary entry, it's 'Death Merchant', instead of dead merchant.

I didn't even look at those, I'm so smart :v:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think he's just meant to be a generic bad guy. We'll see what else comes up as the game continues, yeah? I was just wondering if there's anything more to our first boss, like the Colossus or the Hydra.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Prythian posted:

Then that would be "Dauðr Kaupmaðr" which is to say dead or death merchant in the old norse meaning, if it's meant to be an adjective.

Undead merchant would actually be closer to "Dauði Kaupmaðr", though dauði can also be used in a sentence as "the death", as in "the death of the [person], e.g. Halvar-dauði". Dauði as an adjective is taken closer to meaning "between life or death", or lifs né dauða.

A general undead type deal would be more like "aptrgǫngu-maðr" (gjenganger-mann) or Draugr which is more like both ghost and undead man.

Not that it really matters because that "troll" is clearly not undead but a jotne in the context of the game. Or maybe a rimtusse? Jøtul? Gýgr? Rise.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Nice piece of fish posted:

Then that would be "Dauðr Kaupmaðr" which is to say dead or death merchant in the old norse meaning, if it's meant to be an adjective.

Undead merchant would actually be closer to "Dauði Kaupmaðr", though dauði can also be used in a sentence as "the death", as in "the death of the [person], e.g. Halvar-dauði". Dauði as an adjective is taken closer to meaning "between life or death", or lifs né dauða.

A general undead type deal would be more like "aptrgǫngu-maðr" (gjenganger-mann) or Draugr which is more like both ghost and undead man.

Not that it really matters because that "troll" is clearly not undead but a jotne in the context of the game. Or maybe a rimtusse? Jøtul? Gýgr? Rise.

Ah, a native speaker! Excellent!

I don't think that the implication is that the Troll is an undead. I think what they want to say is "Merchant of Death", or someone who brings death to other people. Y'know, a fancy way of calling someone a murderer or killer. The species is a "Troll", and it calls itself (or is called by other people) "a merchant of death".

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

painedforever posted:

Ah, a native speaker! Excellent!

I don't think that the implication is that the Troll is an undead. I think what they want to say is "Merchant of Death", or someone who brings death to other people. Y'know, a fancy way of calling someone a murderer or killer. The species is a "Troll", and it calls itself (or is called by other people) "a merchant of death".

I'm no more a native speaker than

I didn't even look at those, I'm so smart :v:

Probably less, even.

In the context of the game - assuming the developer wanted to be faithful to the setting and source material - it's fair to say that the giant is probably a troll or trollkin, because most supernatural/saga/fairytale creatures are normally referred to as troll, trollpakk, etc. The word mostly refers to magic (trolldom) first and foremost and is probably the only word mentioned so far the old norsemen didn't use to describe giants or giant monsters. That particular meaning came later, in folk and fairytales post christendom (famously, trolls can smell christian blood).

If you asked an old norseman, that creature would definitely be a jotun, jotne, jøtul or whatever. If it's supposed to belong to the old norse pantheon mythology, that's the only belligerant giant available.

Honestly, they probably picked the name because it sounded cool, because it doesn't make much sense. Old norse pronounciation is all hosed up too, so that's not where the budget went. On the ither hand, the character design for the stranger is top goddamned notch and really impressive.

In fact, the whole game is really good looking and I'm enjoying the hell out of this LP. I'm looking forward to seeing where this story goes.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

I'm no more a native speaker than

Probably less, even.

In the context of the game - assuming the developer wanted to be faithful to the setting and source material - it's fair to say that the giant is probably a troll or trollkin, because most supernatural/saga/fairytale creatures are normally referred to as troll, trollpakk, etc. The word mostly refers to magic (trolldom) first and foremost and is probably the only word mentioned so far the old norsemen didn't use to describe giants or giant monsters. That particular meaning came later, in folk and fairytales post christendom (famously, trolls can smell christian blood).

If you asked an old norseman, that creature would definitely be a jotun, jotne, jøtul or whatever. If it's supposed to belong to the old norse pantheon mythology, that's the only belligerant giant available.

Honestly, they probably picked the name because it sounded cool, because it doesn't make much sense. Old norse pronounciation is all hosed up too, so that's not where the budget went. On the ither hand, the character design for the stranger is top goddamned notch and really impressive.

In fact, the whole game is really good looking and I'm enjoying the hell out of this LP. I'm looking forward to seeing where this story goes.

Greek is the same way, pronunciation wise, latin can be difficult but if you can master it other romance languages (Italian, Spanish, French, etc) will come a lot easier to you since most languages are derived from Latin.

I am really glad that you are enjoying the LP I am having a lot of fun playing it and bringing it to you guys!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Given the Fire stuff it's probably one of Surtr's Fire Giant Kin, known as Eldjotnar.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Lord_Magmar posted:

Given the Fire stuff it's probably one of Surtr's Fire Giant Kin, known as Eldjotnar.

Ohhhh man I forgot about Surtr, that would be awesome if he was a boss

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode we continue on to the mountain, where we come upon the first human who doesn't want to kill us....yet

New Characters

We meet the Witch of the Woods after we shoot one of her animal companions, she asks for our aid in healing her friend and she tells Kratos that she knows what he is and warns him about the gods of this realm.

Beastiary Entries

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So what does that trolls name mean.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

One of our resident norse commenters you are up!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Ohhhh man I forgot about Surtr, that would be awesome if he was a boss

Hey now, let’s not stop there. I want a whole level set in Muspelheim with Surtur at the end! We fought Hades in his realm, let’s top that, shall we? You say the Giants are gone in this game? Maybe not- we’ll confirm it in the sequel! If it doesn’t happen this time around, that is.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

achtungnight posted:

Hey now, let’s not stop there. I want a whole level set in Muspelheim with Surtur at the end! We fought Hades in his realm, let’s top that, shall we? You say the Giants are gone in this game? Maybe not- we’ll confirm it in the sequel! If it doesn’t happen this time around, that is.

Im just hyped to see what bosses they add, I wonder if we will have to fight Fenrir or if he will be a companion

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

MonsterEnvy posted:

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

One of our resident norse commenters you are up!

In my personal opinion? They didn't give it a lot of thought but as any kind of traditional interpretation of "Merchant" for a giant murder guy sounds pretty dumb, I assume they tried to go for "Death Dealer". There's no really good or cool-looking word in old norse for that that I can think of off hand, and in the context of the game and who that is that is the only thing that really makes sense to me. They probably just googled it and picked words that sort of meant the same and just went with it. After all, who but exceptionally useless nerds would ever even pay attention to the name for some reason?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Didn't Freya own a pet boar of some kind? My memory about norse mythology is kinda fuzzy.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Angry Lobster posted:

Didn't Freya own a pet boar of some kind? My memory about norse mythology is kinda fuzzy.

Hildisvíni, golden magical fighting pig that's occasionally ridden. It was made by the dwarves Nabbe and Dåin.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

Didn't Freya own a pet boar of some kind?

If I remember correctly, it was a boar with a golden hide, and it belonged to her brother Frey. Freyja’s bling includes a gold necklace that duplicated itself and a chariot drawn by cats.

Fenrir- how about we fight him first and then he’s our steed?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Hacksilver is chunks of silver broken off silver craftsware. You just looted 200 silver forks in the last raid on the English, so you just carry a couple of them around and chop a piece off when you need to pay for something.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I'm pretty sure that brenna is something like "to burn". He could be Burning Death or something like that.

achtungnight posted:

If I remember correctly, it was a boar with a golden hide, and it belonged to her brother Frey. Freyja’s bling includes a gold necklace that duplicated itself and a chariot drawn by cats.
I don't remember if Freya has any boars, but Frey's boar is Gullinbursti, and it is very golden. Brok forged it with his brother.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

achtungnight posted:

Fenrir- how about we fight him first and then he’s our steed?

That would be dope, or maybe if we have to fight Tyr, Fenrir comes in as a finisher and bites his hand off

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

That would be dope, or maybe if we have to fight Tyr, Fenrir comes in as a finisher and bites his hand off

My idea for God of War PS4 2, yours for 3. :) Assuming neither happens in this game.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

In my personal opinion? They didn't give it a lot of thought but as any kind of traditional interpretation of "Merchant" for a giant murder guy sounds pretty dumb, I assume they tried to go for "Death Dealer". There's no really good or cool-looking word in old norse for that that I can think of off hand, and in the context of the game and who that is that is the only thing that really makes sense to me. They probably just googled it and picked words that sort of meant the same and just went with it. After all, who but exceptionally useless nerds would ever even pay attention to the name for some reason?

Also, I now realize that question was about the new video which I haven't seen yet and not about the first giant. I'll get back to you.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
I'm not going to claim to be the paragon of Fatherly Virtue, but at least I know both of my kid's names, and call them by their names more often than just when I think they're in mortal danger.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Kratos is learning.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
Someone should keep a tally at how many times he says boy in each episode Haha

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

That might be a meme already: https://kotaku.com/boy-read-this-the-internet-pokes-fun-at-kratos-in-god-1825510894

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
Of course it's a meme

• Locked thread