Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Im thinking the weird weather is because both Odin and Thor are getting real drat angry.
Tyr is indeed dead, Mimir has mentioned how much everyone misses him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Can I say I feel sorry for Hel? Soon she's going to have an angry Spartan with an axe and two blades to grind on her doorstep through no fault of her own.

Magni (get dunked) and Modir called Atreus half-breed. I don't think they meant half-Greek though.
(:lol: Odir Brodir Blindr. For how much time did they think that one?)

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

vdate posted:

The darkness that appeared after Atreus got sick is worrying enough, but it might be of slightly greater concern that the air has begun to fill with a mixture of snowflakes and embers.

Faye may have thought of it less as 'dying', and more 'leaving early to avoid the rush', assuming the latter means what I think it does. (Also the sky did turn a rather distinctive shade of apocalypse red during the boat ride here, but that might merely have been indicative of Kratos' mental state.)

I'm not 100% sure what it all could mean but the visual representation for that entire scene was just amazing

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ragnarok is supposed to be preceded by the Fimbulwinter, a three year long winter of seriously unusual snow & cold. Muspelheim & Niflheim, the realms of fire & ice, are also supposed to bleed through to Midgard in Ragnarok. Maybe that’s what’s going on?

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
So there won’t be another episode till Wednesday so for any new comers or people who are behind you can use that time to catch up haha

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

achtungnight posted:

Muspelheim & Niflheim, the realms of fire & ice, are also supposed to bleed through to Midgard in Ragnarok. Maybe that’s what’s going on?

This bit, explicitly, is what I was thinking of. In particular, the winter getting interrupted by impromptu embers smacks of Surt and Friends showing up for the twilight of the gods throwdown badtime hour.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Omobono posted:

Magni (get dunked) and Modir called Atreus half-breed. I don't think they meant half-Greek though.

Demigod, probably.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Son of Dad is half Kratos and half giant mom, so hes basically like el Thorarino.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
Dude that is a major spoiler.....

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Dude that is a major spoiler.....

I thought it was a your mom is fat joke :negative:

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode we take on the depths of Helhiem to take the Gate Keeper's Heart

Beastiary Entries

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
So, Hel of an update.

No, there's no particular mention of Helheim "filling up" and it's also the coldest of all realms, so permanently frozen over. The ghosts of Helheim, the apparitions of the misthome of Niflheim make up the army of the half-jotun goddess of Hel, who under Ragnarok will rise up and attack the Aesir. Hel was imprisoned in Helheim by Odin and the aesir, who feared her might. At Ragnarok she dies at the battlefield of the gods, and Baldr who was killed escapes Helheim.

The gatekeeper is named Mighty son of Hel, or Mighty son of Helheim depending on context. Mighty dead, for drat sure and twice over.

The giant eagle thingy? Mentioned him before:

Nice piece of fish posted:

And of course the giant troll thing is named "Iron Foot".

That dragon sure was something, so I'm kinda looking forward to what they choose to do with Fafnir, can't imagine him being that big. Hræzlyr is of course not a creature from mythology, and the wiki says it's name is like "terror"? Uh, nah. Not that I know of. In certain dialects, like old old dialects I can see it meaning "disgusting", but nothing to do with fear. However, there was a jotun called Hræsvelg - which is the closest name I know of to Hræzlyr, and his name means "corpse eater". He sits at the end of the world in the shape of a giant eagle and beating his wings causing the winds to blow. So I guess in old norse Hræzlyr phonetically comes close to "corpse lyre" (or if they meant lýrr, a type of fish). Also, way to go Kratos almost pulling a Vidar and beating up the dragon from inside its own mouth.

E: Oh yeah and heads up if you see Naglfar, the ship that's normally reserved for ferrying the dead, tearing loose from it's moorings and appearing. It's... made from the nails of dead people. Should be easy to spot.

That's Hræsvelg. He's a jotun, and he's sitting on the end of the world, father to all winds. Pretty cool. Let's hope you don't have to fight him.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I found out they actually did Fafnir correctly, he was a dwarf that was cursed by Andvaris ring due to being a greedy rear end in a top hat and became a dragon, later to be murked by Sigrid.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode we break Atreus' fever and we finally reveal our true nature to him, and along the way back to Tyr's vault we complete a couple of side missions. This video is quite a bit shorter than the rest but since Tyr's vault is essentially a dungeon which deserves its own episode so you will have the 2 side missions to fill your God of War needs till the next episode which will be out on Saturday

In this side mission we collect the sorceress Gullveig's bones with the promise that we will be able to see Faye one last time.

In our travels to collect Gullveig's bones we come across Fafnir, a dwarf turned dragon and we set out to release him from his captors.

Beastiary Entries

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Between Atreus' general skillset, the way Magni (:dunkedon:) and Modi said half-breed and Atreus' fixation* with shapeshifting I have a theory about BOY. If it turns out I'm right somebody better call ER because I'm going to suffocate from laughter.

The blades look interesting; from what I've seen I think the blades are meant to be the fast attacking weapon with great lateral coverage but negligible stun buildup;
the fists are the agile, low damage weapon with massive stun buildup;
and the axe is the 1v1 option, good damage with decent stun but (comparatively) low maneuverability;
plus the devil trigger Spartan Rage fistcuffs, which deal more damage than an axe to the face and I simply love this fact.
Meaty enough combat system and it looks decent enough to play.

Mimir: "[...] for it was Groa, seeing longer and farther than any before or since, who witnessed Ragnarok"
Let me guess, she saw an angry Spartan?

*EDIT: maybe fixation is a strong word but clearly he'd love to turn into an animal. Considering half the times his grandpa couldn't keep it in his pants he turned into something weird (animals were the least of it) BOY might get his wish.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 24, 2018

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
Atreus turning into an animal would be cool as hell to see

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Current BOY count is 131. Atreus count is at 28 so he's over 20 now woooo! :toot:

As a note, I'm only counting when Kratos directly calls him BOY and not when he refers to him as THE BOY. BOY count does not need the extra help. Atreus count is a different story, but I don't...think that he's referred to Atreus by his own name to anyone else?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Omobono posted:

Between Atreus' general skillset, the way Magni (:dunkedon:) and Modi said half-breed and Atreus' fixation* with shapeshifting I have a theory about BOY. If it turns out I'm right somebody better call ER because I'm going to suffocate from laughter.

The blades look interesting; from what I've seen I think the blades are meant to be the fast attacking weapon with great lateral coverage but negligible stun buildup;
the fists are the agile, low damage weapon with massive stun buildup;
and the axe is the 1v1 option, good damage with decent stun but (comparatively) low maneuverability;
plus the devil trigger Spartan Rage fistcuffs, which deal more damage than an axe to the face and I simply love this fact.
Meaty enough combat system and it looks decent enough to play.

Mimir: "[...] for it was Groa, seeing longer and farther than any before or since, who witnessed Ragnarok"
Let me guess, she saw an angry Spartan?

*EDIT: maybe fixation is a strong word but clearly he'd love to turn into an animal. Considering half the times his grandpa couldn't keep it in his pants he turned into something weird (animals were the least of it) BOY might get his wish.

Uh yeah, and considering the earlier spoiler which is apparently a spoiler, I think I know exactly what you mean. Which would make Kratos... :roflolmao: that actually kind of fits a lot. If that's what they are doing, that would be brilliant, but I don't think Kratos will approve. I don't get the skillset connection though, but I'll explain my thinking later if the story even goes there. I still think they probably just mean half-greek god or whatever, I assume all these gods have some sort of inbuilt god-radar and probably don't like the grandson of Zeus hanging around. There is some overlap, as Athena's presence and Zeusyface hints at, which is interestingly true of germanic paganism as well.

I'm betting we'll find out for sure soon. Seeing as we're seeing some heavy foreshadowing in terms of Ragnarok, I definitely think Kratos is going to be the cause of a whole bunch of apocalypse.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018
So Nice Piece of Fish you were right about Gullveig and there being trickery haha

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Be particularly cool if Boy can become a horse, fish, or falcon- good scouting, travel, and combat abilities with these forms.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Omobono posted:

...oh, you've gotta be kidding me. Oh man, that'd be something else again - and it'd explain a certain conspicuous absence rather neatly. (And why we'll be getting no help from that particular quarter.) A little more eyebrow-raising than I'd expect a game this big-name to go - but then, there's precedent for it.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode we take on the traps of Tyr's vault and we have some of my favorite scenes so far from this game

Beastiary Entries

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Do remember to actually go upgrade the Blades of Chaos. Dunno if you ever spent that first Chaos Flame. :v:

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Shadowlyger posted:

Do remember to actually go upgrade the Blades of Chaos. Dunno if you ever spent that first Chaos Flame. :v:

I did, don’t remember if it was on camera or not

ArknknuckleRpg fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 26, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Must've been off-camera.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
In this game, do enemies respawn? I noticed that the crafting system requires a bit more material than you have found thus far.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I'm liking the way Kratos and Atreus are allowing themselves to bond slightly, after all of this time, but I'm not liking the haughty airs that Boy is picking up, and I'm not enjoying the fact that Kratos isn't trying to say something about it. That is like, 100% foreshadowing of Atreus becoming a giant shitheel by the end of the (probably?) trilogy and making them murder each other. Because you can take the Greek out of Greece, but you sure as hell can't take the tragedy out of the Greek.

...That sounded better in my head.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

mastersord posted:

In this game, do enemies respawn? I noticed that the crafting system requires a bit more material than you have found thus far.

I don’t believe that they res pawn in the traditional sense so you can’t seem to grind mobs

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Enemies do sort of respawn, in that there are enemy sets that will show up every time you go to a place. Nightmares will show up absolutely goddamn everywhere for example.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Enemies do sort of respawn, in that there are enemy sets that will show up every time you go to a place. Nightmares will show up absolutely goddamn everywhere for example.

Is there a place to farm Travellers?

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Aumanor posted:

Is there a place to farm Travellers?

I don’t believe so, at least I haven’t found any spot where they spawn continuously

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Charlett posted:

I'm liking the way Kratos and Atreus are allowing themselves to bond slightly, after all of this time, but I'm not liking the haughty airs that Boy is picking up, and I'm not enjoying the fact that Kratos isn't trying to say something about it. That is like, 100% foreshadowing of Atreus becoming a giant shitheel by the end of the (probably?) trilogy and making them murder each other. Because you can take the Greek out of Greece, but you sure as hell can't take the tragedy out of the Greek.

Mimir is visibly concerned about these developments too! Well, audibly concerned, at any rate. I keep expecting Kratos to chime in, too; not necessarily because of experience with the series - I have none - but because, well, from all his other reactions, it frequently feels like he should.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

I don’t believe so, at least I haven’t found any spot where they spawn continuously

I've checked and there apparently is one (you haven't been there yet, but it should be accessible), but it seems it might be a bit too hard for you right now. The traveler himself is level 7, and to reach him you need to get through 2 level 8 draugr.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

Aumanor posted:

I've checked and there apparently is one (you haven't been there yet, but it should be accessible), but it seems it might be a bit too hard for you right now. The traveler himself is level 7, and to reach him you need to get through 2 level 8 draugr.

Haha always a fun time I might have to check it out at some point

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ArknknuckleRpg posted:

Haha always a fun time I might have to check it out at some point

It's on a small island on the east side of the lake.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Aumanor posted:

Didn't know that was respawning, although I just cheesed the hell out of them through a gate at level 6.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 27, 2018

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012

Charlett posted:

I rather like this dynamic, really. Especially since the scene with the amphora makes it pretty obvious that the way to resolve that problem probably involves Kratos' own history as a professional murderhobo / omnicidal maniac - especially with Atreus' emphasis on wanting the truth immediately afterwards. And it's quite understandable why Kratos would nonetheless be reluctant about sharing that, but then the hallmark of a good tragedy is that the audience really should be able to see it coming.

ArknknuckleRpg
Jan 20, 2018

In this episode we journey back up the mountain, and along the way Atreus attitude takes a drastic change, and not for the better

In this side mission we clear our some Hel-Walkers for a departed captain and Kratos teaches Atreus the honor of being a leader

In this side mission we track down the reavers who took the magical whetstone and we come across another peice of the Avenger's Easter Egg

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And Atreus sets us on a literal path straight to hel(heim).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Annointed posted:

And Atreus sets us on a literal path straight to hel(heim).

It's a tradition for Kratos to visit the Hell-equivalent at lest once a game.

• Locked thread