Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

give me the zoolander tiny phone, TIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

here's a freebie name idea:

iPhone Mini

unleash the mini choad phone, TIM

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

each day we drift a little further from Steve’s light

don't quote stymie

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OldAlias posted:

lol gently caress you

The idea that someone would actually design a jet engine on an iPad is unbelievably stupid and hilarious

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it's clearly a graphic,

to actually respond:

if you're getting a tablet this isn't an "either or" situation, you buy both, for which you do computer poo poo on your computer. the value of the tablet is in it's form factor. which is gone from a convertible, marketers think it's the touch screen that's important but literally no one cares about that on a normal computer. surfaces are also insanely poo poo with a crazy high failure rate, are Microsoft products, and are truly the worst of both worlds

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

tk posted:

I really enjoy my iPad but I am skeptical about the pencil and I don’t think I want to spend $99 to find out if I’m right.

Of course it’s early in the day and I’m thinking clearly, so when I’m coming home from work and exhausted I’ll probably break down and swing by the Apple store to pick one up.

I was sceptical at first too but the pencil owns

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OldAlias posted:

it's clearly a graphic,

to actually respond:

if you're getting a tablet this isn't an "either or" situation, you buy both, for which you do computer poo poo on your computer. the value of the tablet is in it's form factor. which is gone from a convertible, marketers think it's the touch screen that's important but literally no one cares about that on a normal computer. surfaces are also insanely poo poo with a crazy high failure rate, are Microsoft products, and are truly the worst of both worlds

If you watched the accompanying video you can see it's not a graphic hth, they zoom in and move stuff about and it's followed by some circuit diagram app

Go to apples site and click on ipad pro it's there

Surfaces might not be perfect either, but you can do computer stuff on it wherever which owns. The pencil is really good too

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
my friend is on her 5th surface because the things keep failing

gg ms, you've finally managed to train a normal person to obsessively back up everything every 60 seconds

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
my work (IT services ofc) bought every dev an ultrabook and every PM/manager a surface pro

yeah that worked out well...

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Private Speech posted:

I use the latest surface and it's a lot better. Has a pencil too. Similar price as the IPad Pro.

You can make programs on it for one. Run hackintosh on it if you want. And still use it as a tablet

You can do engineering on it with proper tools too, not this ludicrous uMake Apple puts in their "Pro" ads:

Like yeah I'm going to make a jet engine in that, right

IPads are bad. And just expensive netbooks p. much. Surface does all that and more

parachute shagger spotted

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Private Speech posted:

If you watched the accompanying video you can see it's not a graphic hth, they zoom in and move stuff about and it's followed by some circuit diagram app

Go to apples site and click on ipad pro it's there

it’s a graphic used to advertise the iPad Pro, and is not to be considered realistic. all those advertisements with people happily using surfaces are a lot more unrealistic tbh tbh

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

OldAlias posted:

all those advertisements with people happily using surfaces are a lot more unrealistic tbh tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=des3dpKtfIM

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Private Speech posted:

Surfaces might not be perfect either, but you can do computer stuff on it wherever which owns. The pencil is really good too

the surface is poo poo. it's a terrible product that is bad at everything it attempts to do and is really poorly built to boot.

that said i have no idea why the ipad pro exists either and the ones i've seen used in the wild are basically just more expensive ipads with a 1st party keyboard case

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyhjUFcXgo0

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

quote:

it’s a graphic used to advertise the iPad Pro, and is not to be considered realistic. all those advertisements with people happily using surfaces are a lot more unrealistic tbh tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=des3dpKtfIM

Aside from the cheesy dancing it's pretty much how you use it? Note the conspicuous lack of architecture drafts, engine schematics and circuit diagrams.

quote:

the surface is poo poo. it's a terrible product that is bad at everything it attempts to do and is really poorly built to boot.

Me and my girlfriend have been using them for years and never had any trouble with them.

It's a great laptop replacement if you don't care about ~serious gaming~ and honestly for that you're not going to get a mac either. And it works as a tablet too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's absolute loving trash and in four generations microsoft still hasn't worked out their quality control issues. it has poo poo battery life for a tablet and far worse performance than a laptop and as often as not the accessories will just stop working for no apparent reason until you do a little voodoo song and dance.

you are objectively wrong, it is a terrible product and you would be better served owning either an ipad or an ultrabook because at least they're good at something

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Aside from the cheesy dancing it's pretty much how you use it? Note the conspicuous lack of architecture drafts, engine schematics and circuit diagrams.

Me and my girlfriend have been using them for years and never had any trouble with them.

It's a great laptop replacement if you don't care about ~serious gaming~ and honestly for that you're not going to get a mac either. And it works as a tablet too

anyone who actually does those things is aware of this, and would use their preferred software. the point is to look impressive and professional. it’s like, you -could- do some of this stuff, but not really. it’s an advertisement. MS stuff is viscerally offensive in comparison, and can be a whole lot worse about pretend capabilities. anyways I think you missed gray yospos by a few clicks

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my surface pro usually throws a shitfit transitioning between docked/keyboard/tablet mode.

also autorotation often doesn't work.

good thing work paid for it.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

OldAlias posted:

anyone who actually does those things is aware of this, and would use their preferred software. the point is to look impressive and professional. it’s like, you -could- do some of this stuff, but not really. it’s an advertisement. MS stuff is viscerally offensive in comparison, and can be a whole lot worse about pretend capabilities. anyways I think you missed gray yospos by a few clicks

rollin into to a client meeting with your 8 pound brick to charge your 20 pound desktop replacement is just as professional and furthermore look at these ram specs and wait where are you going?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

So here's the thing about being objectively wrong:

infernal machines posted:

it has poo poo battery life for a tablet

far worse performance than a laptop

you would be better served owning either an ipad or an ultrabook

I admit that the touch UI needs some third-party programs/tweaking to be smooth, but at least you can actually tweak it, and run more than two apps at a time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that said, there's no excuse for spending $100 on a stylus to interact with something designed specifically to use your finger

like, that was the core concept behind the ios touch interface.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Private Speech posted:

I admit that the touch UI needs some third-party programs/tweaking to be smooth, but at least you can actually tweak it, and run more than two apps at a time

i've deployed these pieces of poo poo irl for multiple businesses, those synthetic benchmarks are lolerskates

and yes, let's just all browse the internet with microsft edge like assuredly real human beings actually do

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

i've deployed these pieces of poo poo irl for multiple businesses, those synthetic benchmarks are lolerskates

and yes, let's just all browse the internet with microsft edge like assuredly real human beings actually do

I could see it being terrible in a business environment TBH, but that's because most business users are functionally retarded when it comes to computers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*posts battery life tests showing android phablet in the lead*~

~*expects to be taken seriously*~

see, this bar here under "work" is longer, therefore faaaaaart

lol, or just look at the rest of the results you didn't cherrypick

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 18, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait, you bought a surface pro for personal use? lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

dub step

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have that Thinkpad Yoga mentioned in the benchmarks and it's better than a surface or an iPad bc it has a real keyboard.

It's heavier than an iPad too but that's ok because tablets are a temporary use case, not something you should ever be doing all the time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ispad pro

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

~*posts battery life tests showing android phablet in the lead*~

~*expects to be taken seriously*~

see, this bar here under "work" is longer, therefore faaaaaart

lol, or just look at the rest of the results you didn't cherrypick

From the same page:

quote:

Much like Cinebench, x264 is mostly a CPU test, and a video clip is converted on the CPU into h264. There is no single-threaded option though, so you can see the quad-core parts still offer a lot more grunt for these kinds of tasks, but compared to the other Ultrabooks, the Surface Pro is the fastest again.

Really what matters is it has a 4GHz latest gen Intel CPU, and (merely okay because they are poo poo in general) the single fastest non-discrete GPU around

Can you imagine how hard the iPad would bomb those benchmarks in comparison actually I don't have to because it's just a phone with a big screen, or a chrome netbook with a touchscreen (pick one or both)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 18, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it doesn't matter because you wouldn't use an ipad for those tasks, just like booting up a full x86 windows pc to surf the forums on your couch is also dumb as heck

also, you just kinda mixed and matched anand's different battery life tests there as if they're directly comparable, but they're not

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it doesn't matter because you wouldn't use an ipad for those tasks, just like booting up a full x86 windows pc to surf the forums on your couch is also dumb as heck

don't sign

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

this is a low hanging fruit but edge is the best touch interaction browser on windows 10

id dare say its a good browser, but years of feature lagged and malware targeted ie releases have soured enough people that im sure nobody will notice as edge becomes better

once they added plugins it became par with ff and chrome and launches faster than either on cheaper or older devices, which is playing well to the devices in use

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I sold my MacBook and bought an iPad Pro about 6 months ago.

it’s good.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

graph posted:

dub step

lol gently caress I didn’t notice the kick / snare on 1 / 3 and turned it off before the bass. supremely tasteless

Private Speech posted:

Achtually

look you’re arguing that your stupid piece of poo poo is categorically better than tablets, without understanding the point of tablets. good job with the charts too, cherry picked and contextless ‘number go big’ from some idiot tech journo sure is convincing

e. vvv yeah site is alright but synthetic benchmarks don’t say much useful. andoid number go big over Apple but performs worse cause Qualcomm, etc

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 18, 2018

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hey now anandtech is a reasonable site but lets all take a moment to lol at the fact that the surface is being compared to a *squints* chuwi lapbook which is easily the most mba cloniest thing ive every seen

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Toady posted:

remember how pissed they got when iphones got bigger screens

Stymie posted:

rightly so?
stymie is right

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

iBad... good?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

that said i have no idea why the ipad pro exists either and the ones i've seen used in the wild are basically just more expensive ipads with a 1st party keyboard case

The iPad Pro exists to compete with the Surface.

The Surface shouldn't exist but does, so it has to be competed against.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Schadenboner posted:

The iPad Pro exists to compete with the Surface.

The Surface shouldn't exist but does, so it has to be competed against.

:shrug:

Microsoft is bringing cheap surface back for some reason.

• Locked thread