Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
http://wololo.net/2018/04/23/nintendo-switch-tegra-x1-bootrom-leaked-precipitate-custom-firmware-release/

A technical explanation: http://misc.ktemkin.com/fusee_gelee_nvidia.pdf

tl;dr: NVidia hosed up

also

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988445232445378561

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988445419498696706

the entire hack is performed by bridging two pins together :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HolePisser1982 posted:

its so awesome that you can do it just by bridging two pins in the joycon. the switch will be my system of forever if i can fill it up with old roms

i could have sworn I read something a few weeks ago about nintendo using a different CPU in future Switch revisions. i wonder if this is the reason?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HolePisser1982 posted:

its so awesome that you can do it just by bridging two pins in the joycon. the switch will be my system of forever if i can fill it up with old roms

people will unlock the internal gamecube emulator and we can load up every gamecube game ever made on it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

goferchan posted:

That "technical explanation" from reswitched that you linked was already sent to nvidia at some past date, and they said they were going to release it publicly this June or when other hackers figured it out. The latter happened today so they released it

ah so it's definitely why nintendo wants to use a different CPU

I wonder how they are going to do that without messing up developers or past games?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HolePisser1982 posted:

i know nvidia was notified well before the switch cfw hack was released by the person who discovered it, so yeah probably. nintendo offers a reward for exploits found but i’d assume you’d have to sign some documents saying you wont release it in that case

1) take money from Nintendo

2) wait 3 days and then send the hack info to your friend on IRC so he can release it instead

3) #winning

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

Yes, this will allow mods

lmao

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

When will sony stop patching the vita so i can hack it and play the 0 games they ever made for it. unrelated to the OP i suppose

You can buy a Vita motherboard with a low firmware for pretty cheap

Hackers still want to figure out how to hack the newer firmwares because there's no such thing as firmware spoofing so newer games won't play on a hacked Vita

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

people will unlock the internal gamecube emulator and we can load up every gamecube game ever made on it

That was fast

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s probably just the Android version of Dolphin. James Rolfe voice rear end!

It loving sucks! It fucks so much sucks it fucks!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988627868598001665

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Milkman posted:

if you have had plus they've given away every single vita game except P4G

i tried playing the uncharted game from it and i can't finish it due to it requiring every single vita flaky hw feature for the sick mini games like "rubbing dirt off a card using the rear touch pad"

I've had the Vita since launch and to this day I don't know if the glossy part of the back or the matte ovals are the touch areas

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

goferchan posted:

Not Switch news but this is insane to me -- some people have managed to decompile Metroid Prime and are making progress on a source port that runs natively on PCs. Apparently whatever they've hacked together with Retro's engine is also applicable to Donkey Kong Returns so that could end up getting PC ported as well

https://tcrf.net/Pikmin/Windows_Executable

A windows port of pikmin was hidden on the disc

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

This should be the new post divider thing

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I still am amazed to this day that the Wii U is backwards compatible with a system from 2001, and it's not even an advertised feature simply because the drive can't accept smaller discs (a 30 cent increase in cost per unit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

The Wii is just in the Wii U, the disc drive was the only part obstructing GameCube games working. It's why it's not like some hacky homebrew emu, youbjust load gamecube games with an SD card and they work flawlessly. I replayed TTYD on the Wii U pad and it was wonderful

That's what's even crazier to me. On the Wii, you were pretty limited in GameCube mode even when hacked. It took like 7 years for hackers to figure out how to get the USB port to stay on in GameCube mode (I actually gave up on waiting for it at one point and bought an optical drive emulator just to stick a hard drive in my Wii's disc drive spot for GameCube rips). But even with the USB thing being figured out you were never able to use a classic controller in GameCube mode because they never figured out how to enable Bluetooth in GameCube mode. But on the WiiU in GameCube mode I can use a loving PS3 controller :psyduck:

• Locked thread