Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I started an game development studio LLC in WA back in 2006... I have some background on this, however I am not an attorney/lawyer and you should seek professional legal services.

1. You're going to need legal help to file the LLP in FL, at the minimum, to make sure its filed and properly formed.

http://dos.myflorida.com/sunbiz/forms/partnerships/

2. Your friend in the UK should be made an officer of the LLP and contractually given 49% ownership (never do equal shares and it sounds like you have more stake in the company already, so this is even more reason). Again, you are going to want an attorney to draw up the documents needed for this.

3. The purchases you made should be "transferred" to the company after it is formed so the company can claim them. However you can still write off them on your personal income taxes as business expenses, but that makes transferring to the company iffy. Its best if you talk with a CPA and attorney if the purchases are very high-value dollar amounts. If you're talking a few hundred dollars or so, meh.

4. If you are planning on paying the UK guy, you're going to need to figure out if he is an employee of the company (which gets very heavy with paperwork, the company's obligations and taxation) or if he's merely a contractor/consultant, in which case you can usually get by with filing 1099s (i forget what the 1099 equivalent for foreigners is)...

TLDR; Get an attorney. This guy has been around a while and was engaged with a Florida studio I worked at back in 2013... http://www.gameattorney.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread