Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
This morning I saw yet another internet pal complain that her dad has become an Alex Jones raveaholic who believes in crisis actors and Bohemian blood rituals.

What's especially depressing about this is that the story always ends there, with dad stuck on the other side of the looking glass and the people who care about him just having to deal with it.

This thread is for anygoon to tell how their friend or relative (or self) got hooked on Alex Jones and then quit. What was the turning point? Did they completely put aside conspiracy theories? Did they get into harder drugs like Pepe and neo-Nazism before they turned around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was never hooked exactly but there was a solid year or two around 2011 where i listened to the show regularly, along with other conspiracy theory/paranormal stuff like Coast to Coast AM. can't say exactly what turned me off in the end, probably a combination of fatigue (the show going back to the same topics and guests again and again, general exhausting nature of Alex's deal) and the commercialization. his supplement and water filter grift wasn't where it is now back then but it was already a big part of the infowars operation and it was obviously very greasy. of course i was only ever listening out of morbid fascination, i never took the mental step into actually believing and agreeing with jones

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

is there a cure to stupidity and/or mental illness?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
social alienation isn't a biological disorder hth

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lead poisoning isn't something you recover from

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
well a cousin of mine has a schizotypal disorder and once they got his medication right he stopped listening to infowars so...

give powerful antipsychotics a try

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I used to be an unironic 9/11 truther but I got over that, so I think it's possible

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

whomupclicklike posted:

I used to be an unironic 9/11 truther but I got over that, so I think it's possible

So did I, and I also believed that Bush and Kerry were Illuminati. But I also was 14.....

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Teenagers might be able to get over it but I think once an older person falls down that rabbit hole they are generally too stubborn to admit they were wrong. Same thing if they get into Amway or whatever

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Gazpacho posted:

This morning I saw yet another internet pal complain that her dad has become an Alex Jones raveaholic who believes in crisis actors and Bohemian blood rituals.

What's especially depressing about this is that the story always ends there, with dad stuck on the other side of the looking glass and the people who care about him just having to deal with it.

This thread is for anygoon to tell how their friend or relative (or self) got hooked on Alex Jones and then quit. What was the turning point? Did they completely put aside conspiracy theories? Did they get into harder drugs like Pepe and neo-Nazism before they turned around?

My stepdad listens to Alex Jones and it's a major reason why I don't talk to that fat gently caress at all. He's living on social security, too; I don't have a problem with that in the least, but he's a fan of right-wing pundits who talk about gutting or getting rid of the very programs that he keeps his rear end alive or off the street. It's the hypocrisy that drives me insane, and especially the vigorous denial he gives whenever that inconvenient fact is pointed out to him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Percelus posted:

is there a cure to stupidity and/or mental illness?

there’s stuff you can do to mitigate mental illness and restore quality of life but there ain’t no cure for stupid

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I did, but this was years ago, before Alex developed a slick, professional media presentation. And during the Bush years, it was easy to believe more of this poo poo, since W and Kerry really were in the same Skull and Bones fraternity, W's father really was CIA, and Cheney really doesn't have a pulse, like a vampire.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

viral spiral posted:

My stepdad listens to Alex Jones and it's a major reason why I don't talk to that fat gently caress at all. He's living on social security, too; I don't have a problem with that in the least, but he's a fan of right-wing pundits who talk about gutting or getting rid of the very programs that he keeps his rear end alive or off the street. It's the hypocrisy that drives me insane, and especially the vigorous denial he gives whenever that inconvenient fact is pointed out to him.

Yeah but he deserves it though.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jose posted:

Lead poisoning isn't something you recover from

actually the cure is more lead injected via projectile to the skull

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gazpacho posted:

I think it's the gateway drug to bowls of chili that make you forget things.

So get this relative person to take up cooking Alex Jones chili and let nature take it's course.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
yeah I used to watch some of it after 9/11 but then stopped basically around the time of Obama becoming president because the conspiracy community went from people interested in the weird poo poo the hyper rich did to full throated racists. Nowadays he has like Tommy Robinson on who is an English fascist which is an instant nope.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
p sure Robbie Williams went yoofo spotting with some people from AboveTopSecret back in the day presumably during a bad divorce + coke addiction phase. Remember that.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
The fact that Jones “broke up” with Trump over loving Syria of all things is very strange imo

signing a $670,000,000 arms deal with the sauidis after touching their evil glowing orb = doesn’t look like anything to me

throwing yet another barrage of missles at Syria = GLOBALIST CUCK!!!??

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

The fact that Jones “broke up” with Trump over loving Syria of all things is very strange imo

signing a $670,000,000 arms deal with the sauidis after touching their evil glowing orb = doesn’t look like anything to me

The cruise missile strike was a conflict between accepted alt-right narratives that couldn't be ignored. Last year when Trump did the same thing it was obviously ineffectual and performative so they could ignore it, but this year they made a big show of force which was just as ineffectual but intentionally designed to give the impression to the interventionists that they did actually accomplish a thing. So, "Trump will MAGA by keeping radical Muslims out of the country," and "Based Assad will defeat radical Islam in Syria," directly butted heads because Trump gave in to the natsec blob. One or the other had to give way.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Also he really wants you to know that he isn't a russophile.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
yes i have a friend who fell into the hole a couple of years ago and deleted me off of facebook because i kept calling out the bullshit he was sharing. last month he messaged me and said "Alright, i get it now. I'd like to be friends again if you'll have me."

he still leans libertarian and is a bit of a survivalist but we're all works in progress

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Dale Gribble is the most true to life character on koth

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Animal-Mother posted:

I did, but this was years ago, before Alex developed a slick, professional media presentation. And during the Bush years, it was easy to believe more of this poo poo, since W and Kerry really were in the same Skull and Bones fraternity, W's father really was CIA, and Cheney really doesn't have a pulse, like a vampire.
but all this poo poo was just out there in the open lol. wheres the need to apply a illuminati filter to it? the ultra-rich power elite started an imperial misadventure to enrich themselves, much like all the other ones in history. i was like 12 around that time and it was just really bleak but not conspiratorial idgi :shrug:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Yes op Zeitgiest blew my mind and flipped my world upside down for about a week when i was 16. But then i went back to playing video games.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
coffee enema should fix it

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Scent of Worf posted:

Yes op Zeitgiest blew my mind and flipped my world upside down for about a week when i was 16. But then i went back to playing video games.

same, but it was loose change

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i went down the rabbit hole of loose change and zeitgeist for a while which started branching into alex jones territory

i remember exactly what snapped me out of it

i was responding to an ex-girlfriend and somehow i brought up some bullshit thing about an upcoming training that would serves a front for a terror attack or some poo poo. just something really stupid. fema coffins? god knows what. musta been around 2007.

anyway, the second i hit send i was like "holy poo poo, what the gently caress did i just do? none of that poo poo is real, god drat it." that ended that. in more ways than one.

man, loneliness and depression can lead you down some really weird paths

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
I was never into infowars or even conspiracy theories and their various websites but I'll admit I thought 9/11 was conspiracy at first. It mainly has to do with being young, having little information, and your minds need to see patterns even when they arn't there. Like for example I'd only seen one building demo in my life, and thought the 9/11 collapse looked similar. Then after the super patriotic flag waving surge happened, I was convinced The Patriots winning the superbowl was all part of Bush's plan to turn America into a super nationalist state hell bent on owning the entire world. I tried looking at conspiracy theories to support my claims but umm I guess they veered off into too weird territory for me? I also got to looking at actual history and discovered most leaders are generally incomptenet in one regard or another, Tom Brady was actually good, and america was always super nationalist and had foreign ties that would eventually come back to bite us.

I dunno how you get over being an infowarrior but with me I found it really has to do with actually getting somewhat educated.

Edit: Also I heard from somewhere that the sheer number of people it would take to pull off blowing up skyscrapers in a controlled fashion and then not have somebody spill the beans like pretty much every other US secret in history would be a near impossible feat and my mind accepts that cuz personally Ive never met another human who can keep their mouth shut about poo poo, self included.

Tr33 has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Apr 26, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The cruise missile strike was a conflict between accepted alt-right narratives that couldn't be ignored. Last year when Trump did the same thing it was obviously ineffectual and performative so they could ignore it, but this year they made a big show of force which was just as ineffectual but intentionally designed to give the impression to the interventionists that they did actually accomplish a thing. So, "Trump will MAGA by keeping radical Muslims out of the country," and "Based Assad will defeat radical Islam in Syria," directly butted heads because Trump gave in to the natsec blob. One or the other had to give way.

in the end they just decided that trump knew what he was doing and had reasons for it because he could not do wrong, which unified the two dissonant concepts. MAGA

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i'm still not sure about 9/11 tho...:ninja:

lol

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tr33 posted:

I was never into infowars or even conspiracy theories and their various websites but I'll admit I thought 9/11 was conspiracy at first. It mainly has to do with being young, having little information, and your minds need to see patterns even when they arn't there.
Also Obama won the election, instantly defusing 9/11 trutherism on the left.

Presumably the Nixon win in '68 did the same for Gulf of Tonkin Truthers on the right

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

I got into conspiracy theory poo poo by way of being interested in the paranormal (ghosts, aliens, etc) because I liked ghostbusters and xfiles and in the early 00s if you were interested in one conspiracy you got drawn into every other conspiracy eventually because of how much crossover there was on the forums to discuss this stuff

going to school the same time as obama won the election and spending less time on the internet because of college social life combined with seeing the sudden and severe political shift that happened in a lot of those places in response to obama winning kind of shook me out of it

I think the only way people lose conspiracy addictions is if they have some outside influence that dislodges them from that world for a while, for me it was just being busy with school work, getting a science education, and having new friends I enjoyed spending time with that kept me distracted and eventually seeing how grossly racist a lot of the old places became made me realize it was a load of poo poo and toxic besides

conspiracy theories evolve really fast these days and even just a few months of separation from the reinforcement can probably break the spell for a lot of people (but good luck doing that when they can get push notifications for alex jones tweets)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the upside to having a lifetime membership to Coast 2 Coast AM is access to all of Art Bell's shows

the downside to having a lifetime membership to Coast 2 Coast AM is access to all of George Noory's shows

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

SpaceGoku posted:

I got into conspiracy theory poo poo by way of being interested in the paranormal (ghosts, aliens, etc) because I liked ghostbusters and xfiles and in the early 00s if you were interested in one conspiracy you got drawn into every other conspiracy eventually because of how much crossover there was on the forums to discuss this stuff

This also has the effect of ensuring that the vast majority of conspiracy content online is six degrees from dumb right wing poo poo or outright antisemitism.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

viral spiral posted:

that's how my grampa was, right up to believing Obama was personally helping to brainwash children, and would tell me how angry it made him, and how he'd use his own rifles to protect the children if he had to. He was a sweet simple man until his late 60's and then went increasing soft in the head and mean.

he's dead now tho, so that'll probably fix your stepdad

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

This also has the effect of ensuring that the vast majority of conspiracy content online is six degrees from dumb right wing poo poo or outright antisemitism.

yeah, this is the other thing I meant by being too weird. Like everything always comes down to illuminati or jews or something occult. Like I feel like I'm actually pretty lucky to have non poo poo parents who have always encouraged me to not treat others like poo poo. And also not really being into going to Church or religious or anything. Like alot of these sites just don't add up without being extremely racist or totally into the supernatural.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tr33 posted:

yeah, this is the other thing I meant by being too weird. Like everything always comes down to illuminati or jews or something occult. Like I feel like I'm actually pretty lucky to have non poo poo parents who have always encouraged me to not treat others like poo poo. And also not really being into going to Church or religious or anything. Like alot of these sites just don't add up without being extremely racist or totally into the supernatural.

Or cryptofascist (even outright fascist) since the language of conspiracy theory lends itself quite nicely to fascist rhetoric.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Get them to play Deus ex

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
old men

a new age!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

SpaceGoku posted:

Same, I really miss the days when you could have a conversation about aliens and the weird poo poo Nazis were into and the person you're talking to not turn out to be a Nazi.

• Locked thread