Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The House by the Cemetery(This poster is pretty sweet, never seen it before)

Finished out strong with a few of my favorite rewatches. For whatever reason The House by the Cemetery is often overlooked when I go to plan out these horror challenges, there have been several of them where I just go with City of the Living Dead and The Beyond for my Fulci fix. The main thing I like about House by the Cemetery is just that, it's a story about a House by the Cemetery. The smaller scope makes it feel more like an old-school haunted house flick, but then of course combined with that Fulci gore and grossness.

Ever since I saw the film for the first time I've wondered whether or not Rob Zombie saw Dr. Freudstein and used him as inspiration for some of the character designs in House of 1000 Corpses.

Christine

I discovered this movie about 2 years ago now, and ever since I've been looking for excuses to watch it again and again. Sure, it may not be my all-time favorite Carpenter, but it's my favorite Carpenter right now because it still feels new to me. I did a write up for this one in October as well, but there's just so much to love about this movie. The lead and his best friend are excellent, the special effects are shockingly great for a movie about a killer car, and the cinematography is right up there with some of the best in any Carpenter film. And it probably goes without saying that the soundtrack is amazing.

Don't underestimate this movie for 20 years the way I did.

Final Thoughts

I love this challenge because it's a way to make October feel not so far away(4 months now!) This year I knocked off a lot of films I've been wanting to get around to for a while, which is great:

Best Classic Discovery: The Puppetmaster series. I was really blown away by how much love and honest care and effort went into making these movies(at least the first 3). I'd always assumed they were cheap and amateurish, and they really aren't at all. Honorable mentions go to Psycho II, The Devil Rides Out and Spider Baby.

Best Recent Discovery: Tough one, but I'm gonna have to go with Cold Hell. Raw is right up there too, but it was so effective at making me gag that I'm not sure I'll ever want to rewatch it. Cold Hell is just an extremely effective and entertaining cat and mouse thriller with giallo elements.

Worst Discovery: Tremor 6. This was a major bummer because I'd enjoyed all five of the previous films and even had taken a liking to Jamie Kennedy in Tremors 5. But the most recent sequel is boring and humorless.

Big thanks to Fran as always for running the challenge!

Completed: 1. The Raven 2. The Last Man on Earth 3. The Mad Magician 4. A Dark Song 5. Dark Waters 6. Tremors 7. Tremors 2: Aftershocks, 8. Tremors 3: Back to Perfection, 9. Tremors 4: The Legend Begins 10. Tremors 5: Bloodlines 11. Tremors 6: A Cold Day In Hell 12. Ghoulies 13. Puppetmaster 14. Puppetmaster II 15. Puppetmaster III: Toulon's Revenge 16. Cold Hell 17. Raw 18. Lake Bodom 19. Four Flies on Grey Velvet 20. Rawhead Rex 21. Humanoids From the Deep 22. Manhattan Baby 23. Spider Baby 24. The Invisible Man 25. The Invisible Man Returns 26. Inferno 27. Mother of Tears 28. No One Lives 29. The Black Room 30. The Devil Commands 31. Subspecies 32. Bloodstone: Subspecies II 33. Cat People 34. Psycho II 35. The Devil Rides Out 36. Annihilation 37. The House By the Cemetery 38. Christine

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Hiruko the Goblin (Tsukamoto Shinya, 1991)
I’ve seen a lot of decapitations in the last few weeks. But this is the only movie where the decapitator had a use for the heads. I think this is is the first time someone gave Tsukamoto money to work with. Not a lot but some. In line with a lot of similar Japanese horror movies of the time: people caught in a building with some killer entity. His talent and sensibility put this over. Great effects, better energy. Deeply sentimental out of nowhere at the end. Something more movies should aspire too in my opinion. It's June tomorrow. B+

Final tally: 32 \\ Satan's Cheerleaders B \\ Shriek of the Mutilated B \\ Adrénaline B+ \\ Death at an Old Mansion B+ \\ Mark of the Devil B \\ Messiah of Evil A \\ The Haunting of Morella B- \\ The Manson Family A- \\ Daughters of Darkness B+ \\ Devil Foetus B+ \\ Simon, King of the Witches B+ \\ Mansion of the Living Dead A- \\ Seeding of a Ghost B+ \\ The Mafu Cage B+ \\ Red Spirit Lake B \\ Hunchback of the Morgue B+ \\ Pin B+ \\ The Blood Splattered Bride B \\ Edge of the Axe B+ \\ The Plague of the Zombies B+ \\ Shutter C+ \\ A Touch of Unseen B- \\ Nosferatu B+ \\ Night of the Seagulls A- \\ Vampire Circus B+ \\ Island of the Fishmen B- \\ The Woman in Black B+ \\ A Field in England B \\ Ogroff: Mad Mutilator A- \\ Cuadecuc, Vampir A \\ The Blue Jean Monster B+ \\ Hiruko the Goblin B+ \\

Top tier: Messiah of Evil, Cuadecuc Vampir, Night of the Seagulls, Ogroff: Mad Mutilator, The Manson Family

Worst: Shutter, but I think I'm being too hard on it.

Thanks all

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Eh I probably won’t watch another movie today so I’ll just post my summary.

Summary

1: Sunshine (4/5) 2: Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (2/5) 3: Spider Baby (5/5) 4: Cold Hell (2.5/5) 5: Creepshow (5/5) 6: Peeping Tom (5/5) 7: May (4/5) 8: 31 (2/5) 9: The Fog (5/5) 10: The Lost Boys (4.5/5) 11: Re-Animator (5/5) 12: Dark Water (2.5/5) 13: City of the Living Dead (4/5) 14: The Transfiguration (4/5) 15: The Brides of Dracula (3/5) 16: The Slayer (4/5) 17: Eyes Without a Face (5/5) 18: Veronica (3/5)

Favorites (of first-time watches):

I’d have to say Peeping Tom, it’s an obvious all timer, but my favorite surprise “discovery” would be The Slayer.

Thanks for running the marathon Fran! I managed to knock of few things off my list that I’ve been meaning to see for a long time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
9. Tales from the Hood - This is an all time great. I'm a sucker for anthologies anyway, but this is easily one of the best ones ever made. Sadly, it's still 100% relevant in the modern era, with tales of crooked cops, domestic violence, racist politicians, and urban violence. Tons of great imagery, dialogue, foley work, and on and on I could go. All the acting is solid to great, and the mortician is wonderfully played by Clarence Williams (please be in the sequel!). I love this movie, and it was a joy to share it with my wife for her first viewing. I found out over the weekend that almost none of my friends have watched it, thinking it was Snoop's horror anthology, time to change that!

It's hard to pick a favorite segment from this, they're all great. Spoilering since it's got a few details about endings: I loved the mural used in the crooked cop segment, the dolls devouring a racist covered in an american flag incredible imagery, the abusers death is horrific, and the torturous attempt at "redemption" was a great bit of ghostly story telling, and this whole scene is fan-loving-tastic:

4.5/5

10. Tourist Trap - A wacky movie my wife described afterwards as, "The dumbest movie I've ever enjoyed". Well, I don't think it was that dumb, but it was pretty scooby-doo esque in silliness. A group of kids get stranded near an old roadside attraction and meet the kindly old man still running the place. Filled with singing mannequins, telekinetic powers, and bad acting this one propelled through a fun campy story with relative ease. The plaster death was extremely effective, and the ending is superb.

3/5

e: Looks like I might only get to 10. I'm going to try to show the wife and my mom (lol) Creepshow tonight to get me to 11, but sadly falling short of 13 unless a miracle happens. I need more hours in my days.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

11. (The) Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)

or alternatively

A plowman finds a strange skull complete with fur and an intact eyeball. He run directly to the judge to tell him but the judge, being a man of the enlightenment, dismisses this a silly fancy of the common folk but decides to go along anyway but the skull has already been stolen. Soon after the murders begin. The children start to gather in a ruined church in the woods for strange games, and patches of fur begin to appear on people's flesh. In the end all of this is solved by the judge loving off to the city to read up on witchcraft and chill for a bit and then returning when the cult has almost taken over the town to stab the hellbeast with a sword and throwing it on the fire. Roll credits.

A very solid folk horror film. Folk horror being a sub-genre of horror which focuses folkloric supernatural events and/or pagan rituals often set in the past and/or in rural places. The evil's connection to nature is heavily emphasized with the demonic incantation saying that the entity is from "the forests, from the furrows, from the field" which reminds me of that line from Antichrist about how nature is Satan's church. Which is of course fully in line with the time in which the film is set where untamed nature was seen as dark and evil with cultivated nature and villages being godly. Folk horror is also a result of the hippie era,with it's Romantic return to nature, turning dark and as such folk horror films tend to be reactionary with young people and new-age or pagan beliefs being evil with old stern Christian authority figures being the heroes. I wouldn't be surprised if this film in particular was directly inspired by the Manson murders.

The soundtrack deserves special praise in this film. There is something very unsettling about it and I want to listen to it again. Preferably in a dark forest at night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsHfW8ORb38

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That looks dope.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm only at 12 and may or not be able to watch one tonight, so I might extend this into tomorrow because I'm a loose cannon who doesn't play by the rules :c00l:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm only at 12 and may or not be able to watch one tonight, so I might extend this into tomorrow because I'm a loose cannon who doesn't play by the rules :c00l:

any excuse to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtjpIwamos

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

That looks dope.

Hollis and I watched it a while ago, and it's very dope.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The dopist of dope

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imma end my challange on a double feature of The Slayer and Demantia 13 tonight.

I wasn't very interested in The Slayer when I saw it come out on Arrow but when I heard Nameless Cults talk about it and then a bunch of people in the thread watched it I feel I need to check it out.

Dementia 13 ends on the number 13.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Watch House (1977) before time runs out, you cretins. :meowth:

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Turns out I repeated a number earlier, so I'm actually 1 movie over where I thought I was!

37. Sleeplesss - Doesn't match the stylistic level of Argento's run from Deep Red-Opera, but this is still pretty good. At times it's got a bit too brutal in its violence for me, but I enjoyed overall.

38. Death Line aka Raw Meat - There's a lot of stuff in here I really, really liked and there's a lot of stuff I didn't. The first half of this is great, but it gets worse the more the focus shifts away from Donald Pleasence. The payoff for the entire movie is pretty weak too. Also, Christopher Lee shows up for about three shots.

39. Bad Dreams - An OK riff on Nightmare on Elm St. set in a mental hospital featuring Taryn from part 3. The opening kind of threw me because it isn't so much about the fallout of "free love" 60-70s into the 80s as it is about the blind faith that's put in figures of authority. Has some cool kills, including a blood raining indoors scene. Loved Sy Richardson as the cop and Richard Lynch as the cult leader.

40. The American Nightmare - A very DVD-special-feature-ish documentary. I enjoyed hearing Savini, Hooper, Romero, Carpenter, Craven, and Cronenberg talk about led them to making their respective movies even if I'd heard some of it in other interviews before. Savini is probably the most fascinating as he discusses his time in Vietnam & how that helped him in creating gore effects. I really need to see Last House on the Left & Shivers.

41. The Evil Within - Totally nuts. So surreal and so strange. Has some unforgettable imagery. It's kind of great. But it also isn't. It's filled with bizarre and off-putting things such as how it treats the mentally-handicapped. (One character is frequently referred to as a "retard" by his family & complete strangers) Really interesting mix between digital effects and practical effects. It’s one of the most unique horror movies I’ve seen from this decade so I'd highly recommend to anybody who likes horror. But also, what the hell is this?

I'll try to squeeze one or two more movies tonight but who knows if that'll happen.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 31, 2018

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Almost Blue posted:

39. Bad Dreams - An OK riff on Nightmare on Elm St. set in a mental hospital featuring Taryn from part 3. The opening kind of threw me because it isn't so much about the fallout of "free love" 60-70s into the 80s as it is about the blind faith that's put in figures of authority. Has some cool kills, including a blood raining indoors scene. Loved Sy Richardson as the cop and Richard Lynch as the cult leader.

I like this one, I mean it's obviously a rip-off of the NOES films, but it's almost like what the series might have been if it didn't get so loving goofy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Came up just short again, gently caress. 41 is a solid number though, congrats.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

5/18 Horrors of Malformed Men - This movie was just plain strange and it's not something I would recommend to someone outside of one of these challenges. Inside of one of these challenges let me give this a medium sized recommendation.

5/18 Galaxy of Terror - I quite enjoyed this. Medium/strong recommendation

5/20 The Evil Dead - This one I'll need to see again and with other people. I can remember the beginning and the end but there's a large chunk in the middle that's just a void in my memory (I may have fallen asleep) so I don't think I can give a recommendation at this time, but what I saw I enjoyed. I liked the setting, the characters and the monsters so now I just need to absorb the story on my next viewing.

5/23 Let the Right One In - I loved this movie and I'll fight anyone who thinks otherwise. Very strong recommendation.

5/28 The Void - I thought this movie was great. It's a smallish set w/ just a few characters and a tight script that advances the plot at a decently brisk pace. The horror elements were good. The characters were simple but good. Imho if this movie suffers at all it's from over explaining the cult/inter-dimensional aspects of the plot. Strong recommendation.

5/28 The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014) - I was prepared to hate this movie but it took me by surprise. There's a lot that works great and relatively little that doesn't. I like that it's not exactly a remake and it's not quite a sequel either. In this story set in modern day 2014, the lover's lane murders happened in 1946 as well as the movie in 1976. I thought that was a clever and good touch. I recommend to anyone who's seen the original.

5/28 Hush - This was a nice home invasion thriller. The main lady is deaf and has to cope. Medium recommendation.

5/29 Mother! - I didn't like it and don't recommend it to anyone. It had good performances though.

5/30 The Wicker Man (1973) - Weird and interesting, I never knew quite where it was going to go. Strong recommendation.

Whelp, that makes 21 horror films viewed (for the first time) and reviewed this May beating the goal of 13 I set out to view. Here they are in all their glory:
1. Nosferatu 2. The Blackcoat's Daughter 3. Bride of Re-Animator 4. Society 5. The Birds 6. Make-Out with Violence 7. Intruder 8. PIN 9. Squirm 10. Deliverance 11. The Lords of Salem 12. A Quiet Place 13. The Guest 14. Horrors of Malformed Men 15. Galaxy of Terror 16. The Evil Dead 17. Let the Right One In 18. The Void 19. The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014) 20. Mother! 21. The Wicker Man
Special mention to Beetlejuice, Jurassic Park and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre which I've seen before and are thus excluded from the challenge. I had fun folks and I'm taking your recommendations to heart. I think I'm going to go for 31 in October.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:siren: 13 :siren: - Burying the Ex

Max's girlfriend Evelyn is nice, but way too controlling and jealous, and he realizes he'd be happier without her. Just as he's about to break up with her, she's hit by a bus. Unfortunately, a love curse brings her back from the dead, and now breaking up with her got a lot more awkward.

This movie's not good. Evelyn is way too much of a cookie cutter "bossy girlfriend", she could've come out straight from a 90s sitcom. But despite her weird mood swings and *gasp* veganism, she's really not bad enough that her coming back from the grave is a terrifying prospect, especially since for most of the film the most evil thing she does is want to keep dating her boyfriend who's too lame to break up with her. There's a lot of "comedy" involving Max trying to avoid her advances, and while it's painfully obvious that the film is a metaphor, the fact that Max only tries breaking up with Zombie Evelyn once before wussing out and deciding that murdering her is the solution (while simultaneously trying to romance another girl, which just seems like having lovely priorities to me. Fix the zombie ex thing first, dipshit) just makes him come across like a huge rear end in a top hat, and there's not much else to his personality to grab onto to make us want to root for him.

Max and his new love interest are huge horror movie fans, and they're constantly watching old Christopher Lee flicks or standing near obscure foreign posters, but none of that plays into the plot of the film at all, which just makes it seem like Joe Dante is going for cheap horror cred. Movies like Fright Night and Scream incorporate this sort of thing into the narrative, but here it's just filler. Anyway, for no reason, 20 minutes from the ending, Evelyn just transforms into a flesh eating type of zombie instead of just a dead person who does lovely versions of Death Becomes Her visual gags, and Max finally has to kill her, The End. While the awkwardness of having to deal with a zombie who technically isn't doing anything evil is amusing at times, the movie's more overt attempts at comedy fall flat, so you've got a movie with no one to root for that isn't funny or scary.

I'll be honest, I heard bad things about this movie and only streamed it in hopes that it helps Joe Dante financially somehow. Just watch Gremlins or something.

2/5

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 1, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I should have probably wrote down all the movies I watched after 13.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I failed with this bad. Jury duty and sports. I feel ashamed.

I'll be back in October and I did follow along enough that you guys tipped me off to some movies. So as always, thanks to you all.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Oh lord, I watched 13 movies, but I am a terrible procrastinator when it comes to writing!

1. Creep (2014)
My friend I watched this with said it's probably the best acting that Mark Duplass has ever done. I'm not really familiar with his other work, but he does do an amazing job at being simultaneously charming/intriguing and deeply wrong/repelling. The reveal about the killer at the end feels pretty unrealistic, especially given that the rest of the film feels pretty grounded, moreso due to being found footage. Mark is pretty much the star of this whole thing (something not normally seen in horror, which focuses more on spectacle than performances), and it worked for me.

7/10

2. Stitches (2012)
I had seen this movie before, but went with the recommendation from the thread. This movie has one main thing going for it: lots and lots of practical gore effects. This movie delights in filling the screen with blood and guts and other assorted body parts. The blood and gore all looks and feels right, and it's a lot of fun to see this movie go wild with that. The comedy in this movie is pretty decent, although it reminds me of something you'd watch on Comedy Central on a Sunday evening in the 2000s.

7/10

3. From Beyond (1986)
This movie is as old as I am, but it still feels really fresh and fun. Everything has a kind of goofy haunted house aesthetic that really fits well. This movie is incredibly sex-charged, as well. I think it's interesting to see sexuality and titillation added to Lovecraft's ideas, since his work generally shies away from those themes. Too much time being racist to get a boner, I suppose. The effects in this movie also range from inspired to goofy, with a shout out to the terrible Pineal-Vision effect. Lots of fun, and a really wild ending. On the one hand, a CGI movie could much more "accurately" depict a person with total control of his body at the molecular level, but the limitations of practical effects make them much grosser.

9/10

4. The Lure (2015)
This was actually the movie that prompted me to buy a separate roku for my roku tv, since apparently the Filmstruck app I streamed this with doesn't work well with roku tvs. I was kind of skeeved out by how underage the naked mermaid girls were, but I really liked the rest of the production. The songs were fun, the effects were cool and gory, and the film managed to have some good tension in spite of being really weird. This was a really cool way to approach the material of The Little Mermaid, and the musical parts and sense of fun really elevate this over an attempt that would just focus on the horrific parts.

7/10

5. Final Exam (1981)
This movie's biggest highlight is the college prank a bunch of the students commit by staging a shooting on the college campus, complete with assault rifles, ski masks, and stealing the bodies of those killed. This prank is responded to an hour later by a single lazy sheriff who's mad about being called out there. Amazing. The movie also has some really brutal hazing played for laughs, and the concept of "pinning" a girl, i.e. giving her your fraternity pin. What a different time...

5/10

6. Dead End (2003)
Wow, this has the dad from Twin Peaks and the lady from the Insidious movies. I didn't recognize the person playing the teenage son, but holy poo poo was he the worst. This movie is like a time capsule for all the worst lovely white dude masculinity from the 2000s. The dude is into Marilyn Manson, makes gay jokes, thinks he's a super cool rebel, and goes to jack off in the woods when his parents get lost driving. We all know a guy like that. The movie picks up, though, as we get a lot of back and forth between the more interesting characters. The twist is super easy to see coming and really dumb, but I enjoyed the acting and the focus on mental deterioration.

6/10

7. Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974)
Here we go! Thanks so much to Hollis for hosting the Cushing/Lee marathon. Like I mentioned in the chat, it was interesting to see the kind of racial/sexual progressiveness of some parts of this movie, and the gross rapiness of others. Such a weird contrast. I really liked this mashup of cool genres, and liked seeing them clash and mesh together. Dracula totally got chumped, though.

7/10

8. The Devil Rides Out (1968)
This was a departure from the normal focus on old school monsters I think of when I picture films with Lee in them. This movie feels kind of like a 70s satanist movie but in the Hammer Horror trappings. The devil imagery is all really cool looking, and it's awesome to see how goofy and fun the effects work is. Also car chases, which are always fun.

7/10

9. I, Monster (1971)
Here's the Jeckyl and Hyde movie! A huge part of the transformation comes down to facial acting, and Lee really nails it. It is so creepy to see him grinning like a madman and mumbling and giggling to himself, especially with the context of seeing him show so much gravitas in other films. I also like how the start of the movie makes little hints about things happening, sort of like it assumes that the viewer doesn't know it will be a Jeckyl and Hyde movie. Why do movies do that?

8/10

10. Horror Express (1972)
Another departure from form, with a monster that feels really Lovecraftian in nature. I really like the existential horror as the characters first realize they can't really kill the monster. Plus, the russian officer at the end is rad as hell. I didn't attend to this movie as much as I'd wished, but I really dug it.

8/10

11. Sequence Break (2017)
Welp, I got to see a guy gently caress an arcade machine. That's my main reaction to this. The movie tries to do some metaphysical and metaphorical stuff with how the ending of this movie, but I wasn't feeling it. It's a haunted arcade machine, not a loftier topic like intergalactic aliens or time travel. The visuals were fairly cool, and the machine loving was about as good as you could expect it to be. Konami code did not work when I input it.

6/10

12. Creep 2 (2017)
And we're back! This time, the more surreal parts of Duplass's character are focused on, and we also get a new character who is less of an audience insert and more another creep to watch. There's a lot of back and forth power play in terms of manipulation between the two characters. It's really cool to see how they play off of each other and the way power subtly shifts back and forth, often with the shift occurring before we even realize.

8/10

13. Demonic (2015)
What a clunker to end on. Hm, James Wan, I think. This will probably be okay. Foolish me. This movie intersperses found footage with the regular movie, and the effect isn't great. Having the frame story involve a house filled with cops breaks a lot of the tension. The movie tries to make this feel more unsafe as things go on, but it doesn't really work. Plus there's the twist I've come to realize all Wan films have where at the end we were totally fooled by the killer. I can hear the Saw song playing now.

6/10

Anyway, this is coming in at wire, so feel free to suggest a punishment film for me to watch for being so late to start this.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

36. The Windmill - stock teen slasher.

37. Don't Kill It - pretty interesting film where a demon possesses whoever kills its current host. A nice balance between rapid bloodbaths and slower paced FBI/demon hunter investigations. The ending is weak - they foreshadow it obsessively, making it obvious, and the effect is laughably bad.

In review:

Classics
Hellraiser
Night of the Demons
V/H/S 2
Lost Boys

Pleasant surprises / cool new poo poo
<<Rwd
The Babysitter
Ghost House
The Ritual
The Open House
Before I Wake
Little Evil
Clown
Tales of Halloween
Don't Kill It

Franchise films that are at least decent
Tremors: A Cold Day in Hell
Cult of Chucky
Children of the Corn

Fine. Just fine.
Boo
Talon Falls
Sparrow
The Dawn (2006)
Reality Terror Night
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Bedeviled
The Cloverfield Paradox

This is why horror has a bad rep.
The Changer
It Lives in the Attic
Death Passage
A Crack in the Floor
Video Killer
Piranha (2010)
Halloweed
The Windmill

Uh, that was interesting. Once.
Suite 313
Summit
Headhunter
Neon Maniacs

That last set all have something unique about them, but range from bad to horrible overall.

Sono fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 1, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ive hit my goal. Just barely scraping through at the last minute like a final survivor of a massacre. Exhausted, bloodied, and forever scarred but alive.

12. The Slayer(1982)

A lot of people have already given this one a decent write up and I don't have much to add.

It's a slasher but a pretty odd one as the characters are all in their late 30s at least and not the usual teenaged cannon fodder. The fact that the cast is tiny also means the body count is small but I think it actually helps the film stand out. We get a chance to get to know our tiny cast before the killings start better than if there were twice as many characters.

I am willing to forgive the ending because although it is "It was all a dream! or was it?!?!" that sort of fits into this film since it's literally all about dreams so the entire film being a prophetic dream by a little girl about her future as she is given a kitten that The Slayer will murder is pretty fitting.

13. Dementia 13 (1963)

Made for very little money by a director with very little experience who had very little time to do it. The result makes very little sense. The fact that the director, one Francis Ford Coppola, later made some of the most critically acclaimed films of all time makes it even juicer.

The story is disjointed and everyone talks like they didn't get time to memorize their lines and are reading them from cards with the most dramatic flair possible. It does give the film a very off kilter feel where you're not quite sure what might happen next because it almost seems like it's being made up as they go along. Some of the scenes are effectively creepy such as the opening scene of a woman exposing of a body to a rocking rockabilly tune and the scene where character emerges from a dive only to be met by a axe murdered and killed.

I am a little disappointed because Iwas expecting a eerie film with little or no dialogue but apparently that's Dementia AKA Daughter of Horror a totally unrelated film .

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 1, 2018

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Annihilation

It's far from a perfect film though. Visually I didn't really like it, it's just extremely garish and frankly ugly looking most of the time.

Finally someone agrees with me on that. I keep hearing people going on about how good the movie looks when it's really visually unappealing to me.

15. Carnival of Souls
I didn't expect an ancient low budget horror movie to be this scary. Very low key, haunting soundtrack, similar vibes as It Follows. I'm not sure if I'm happy with the last scene of the movie, I might have preferred it to end without that.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

17. Fright Night (1985) - This was pretty good. I fell like if this was made today, it would get edited down to a forgettable PG-13. The super extended death scenes are another stand out feature. The nerd vampire in particular takes for ever to die.

18. Ginger Snaps (2000) - I know I watched this before but forget almy everything. Such a great coming of age/horror plot. Everyone should watch this.

19. Rosemary's Baby (1965) - Another classic movie I haven't seen. I picked this one based on an episode of the Switchblade Sisters podcast. They have a great discussion on the film, check it out.

20. Revenge (2017) - Challenge complete. I love everything about this movie, intense all the way through. Holds up on a second viewing and I feel like I could appreciate more of the cinematography this time, so much going on. I'll post a summary tomorrow, need some sleep tonight.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

14. Cat People (1942)
D
This story just wasn't what I wanted. The use of light and shadow is great and it gets a lot from hinting without showing.

15. The Demoniacs
C
Rape revenge with pirates and also a clown. Very weird and interesting enough that I'll follow up on this director.

16. Upgrade
C
The script isn't much but the action is very fun. Kind of Brain Damage meets Death Wish. IMDB lists it as Action, Comedy, Horror and that's the order you should expect. I liked the use of intense light and contrast to make people appear unreal.

17. Inside
A
Super bloody home invasion. Effortlessly moves from cartoon blood sprays and Home Alone gags to incredibly unpleasant cutting into flesh.

Fell short of all my goals but I watched 13+ so whatever.
1) Bad Samaritan - C. 2) Breaking In - D. 3) Intruder - B. 4) Pin - B. 5) Squirm - C. 6) Bride of Frankenstein - D. 7) Suspiria - A. 8) The Haunting (1961) - A. 9) Critters - C. 10) Deep Rising - D. 11) Critters 2 - B. 12) I, Monster - D. 13) Horror Express - B. 14) Cat People (1942) - D. 15) The Demoniacs - C. 16) Upgrade - C. 17) Inside - A

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

29. Ice From the Sun (1999) - 2/5. I had high hopes for this thing initially. It's obviously an amateur production with a tiny budget, but the first few minutes have a frantic pace and surreal presentation that's strongly reminiscent of Tetsuo. When something fantastic that they obviously didn't have the budget to really show you happens, the idea is conveyed with rapid cuts and visual distortion. Even in normal moments, there's some impressively efficient visual storytelling with quick cuts. It makes you wonder how the film could possibly be almost two hours long...then everything comes to a screeching halt with what felt like a half-hour near-monologue voiceover explaining the setting and the backstory of not only this movie's evil wizard, but the evil wizard's old evil wizard boss. Part of this is accompanied by the same footage I just watched in the introduction with a detailed explanation of what's going on. This is fortunately the low point of the movie, but even after it ends the dialogue is all the same sort of overly-expository garbage that can only happen when you do not have someone else edit your poo poo. Nobody could have delivered it well, but we don't even get any particularly convincing attempts from the cast here.

A big part of the problem here is that the movie's entire story happens before the movie. Then gets narrated to us. What we actually see is mostly personalized executions by an evil wizard...but we've had like one scene with all the people who are being killed so we don't really know anything about them or care about them in a way that could even make that thematically interesting. And there's just no loving excuse for it to be this long - you can only show us a negative frame standing in for magic so many times before it starts to induce eye-rolls. Tetsuo rules in large part because it's barely an hour long and it's loving crammed full of consistent theming. Be more like Tetsuo.

So this sucks, but it's still cool that some dude had a movie he wanted to make so he just made that fuckin' movie no matter what how many corners needed cutting and how little talent or experience was available to back up his vision. Plus there's a head explosion and later a full-body explosion. Good for you, Eric Stanze.

30. The Abominable Snowman (1957) - 3/5. Peter Cushing is a yeti-obsessed scientist who secures funding from some sort of botanical research foundation as a flimsy pretext to chase yetis. His wife, who came along to actually do science, is kind of pissed since he was supposed to have given up the mountain-climbing thing.

Unfortunately we do not get great creature effects in this one, but it's a pretty good story as yeti movies go. It helps having some monastery-side intrigue while the climbing expedition is underway, but that side of the movie is kind of perfunctory.

I can totally fit one more in

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

:eyepop:

fight me irl

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Managed to squeeze in two more last night. Both rewatches.

42. The Howling - I didn't get this movie's sense of humor the first time I saw it. I kind of brushed off as an early Joe Dante effort before his comedy became more prominent. No idea how, because this movie's goofy as hell. Seeing this shortly after Texas Chain Saw Massacre made me notice that Howling re-uses some of its props from that. Has a really fantastic cast, only weakness is future Jack and Jill director Dennis Dugan.

43. An American Werewolf in London - Kind of had the opposite reaction to this from the Howling. While this movie is very funny, I struggled to like it nearly as much as I had before. Transformation scene is still incredible though. Pretty incredible how two werewolf movies from 1981 feature their protagonists watching a porn movie.

Lurdiak posted:

:siren: 13 :siren: - Burying the Ex

I got to talk with Joe Dante several months ago & I asked him about this movie. He told me I was the only person who had seen it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Last one before I passed out last night/this morning.

31. Cat People (1942) - 3/5. I enjoyed this, but not nearly as much as I expected to after all the love I've seen for it in the horror thread. It's well-shot and Irena is pretty compelling, but every other character is astonishingly dull, irritating, or both. The result is that all the screen time spent on not-Irena feels like an endless slog and she's still the only sympathetic one when she's supposed to feel menacing. Too much of the film's potential tension relies on giving a poo poo about people around her and that's just not happening

Probably would have worked better as a short, or with a leading man who sucks way way less than Oliver.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Punishment film shoud be 3 on a Meat Hook imo

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

she's still the only sympathetic one when she's supposed to feel menacing.

The villain of Cat People is the man who seduces, marries, and then discards a naive and traumatized woman for failing to be perfect. There are no cat people.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Hollismason posted:

Punishment film shoud be 3 on a Meat Hook imo

Or some of the later Howling movies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Not Howling 2 though

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Sono posted:

The villain of Cat People...

Yes, of course, but that doesn't mitigate anything I'm talking about. There's enough time spent focusing on not-Irena that the other characters needed to be able to carry some of the film and they don't. The scenes of her following Alice, for example, drag on so loving long that they need some kind of weight they do not have - only the aftermath when Irena is alone has any impact.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Challenge thread was great, really enjoyed reading everyone's reviews. I think I have more films on my to watch list now then before I started. At the beginning of the month my girlfriend didn't like horror movies, by the end, she wanted to watch Revenge again. Great success.

Top three - Inferno, The Fly, and VHS
Bottom three - Creepshow, I Sell the Dead, and Veronica

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Leavemywife posted:

Or some of the later Howling movies.

I would recommend either IV or VII for this.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Lt_Tofu posted:

Challenge thread was great, really enjoyed reading everyone's reviews. I think I have more films on my to watch list now then before I started. At the beginning of the month my girlfriend didn't like horror movies, by the end, she wanted to watch Revenge again. Great success.

Top three - Inferno, The Fly, and VHS
Bottom three - Creepshow, I Sell the Dead, and Veronica

Why is Creepshow in your bottom three? I've always really liked Creepshow, so I'm curious why you're not so crazy about it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I managed 21 films total, with my only re-watches being Fright Night and Phantasm.

My overall impressions, now that I've had time to digest a lot of the films, are as follows:

BEST NEW WATCH: A three-way tie with Peeping Tom and Santa Sangre and Tetsuo: The Iron Man, which I feel comfortable with because they're all amazing for completely different reasons. Day of the Dead, Magic and Baskin deserve a mention here as well.

LEAST FAVORITES: Easily Daughter of Dracula and Five Dolls For An August Moon

The complete 21: As Above, So Below | Mirror, Mirror | Magic | Day of the Dead | Kill Baby, Kill | Tourist Trap | Five Dolls For An August Moon | The Shallows | Baskin | The Endless | Tetsuo: The Iron Man | Deep Red | Daughter of Dracula ('72) | Peeping Tom | Fright Night ('85) | Phantasm | The Brood | The Blob ('58) | Santa Sangre | Rabid | A Quiet Place

Thanks for everyone who enjoyed the challenge! I appreciate all of the thanks for running the challenge, but it wouldn't mean anything without the wonderful participation and enthusiasm from everyone.

Keep your eyes on the thread in the next few hours for when I have time to review everything and name prize-winners and the horrible losers who should feel ashamed of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Oh dear upon reviewing my list I noticed that I hadn't actually done a quick writeup for

16.(probably 13 or so actuall)Puppet Master III: Toulon's revenge

If anyone is still watching these movies after the third one, they're certainly not in it because of any of the qualities normally associated with a movie, they're in it for the puppets and their lore, and damnit this movie delivers that.
I will not rate the puppets anymore, I love them all and they are my friends, they kill Nazis and make cute sounds and are nice to kids, they all get to shine, it's a bad movie series, in conclusion Puppet Master is a land of contrasts.

• Locked thread