Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

married but discreet posted:

I will not rate the puppets anymore, I love them all and they are my friends, they kill Nazis and make cute sounds and are nice to kids, they all get to shine, it's a bad movie series, in conclusion Puppet Master is a land of contrasts.

Pinhead is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Pinhead is the best.

It's The Woman fight me bich

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:siren: LOSERS LIST :siren:

Before we give out prizes, it's only fair to shine a light on those who failed to meet their own challenges. This is the shame corner. These are the people who failed to meet their own personal goals or the minimum 13 of the challenge.

The Horrible Monsters

a foolish pianist
Alfred P. Pseudonym
BrendianaJones
broken sm57
drrockso20
Dr.Caligari
gey muckle mowser
Ghosthotel
Justin Godscock
Lester Shy
MacheteZombie
Mahlertov Cocktail
Neo Rasa
Nroo
Ramadu
ScaryJen
STAC Goat
Tom Gorman
Trash Boat
very stable genius
Wilhelm Scream

Your punishment: You must watch

Thankfully, fellow horror goon Lurdiak has offered to stream the movie tonight for you, and everyone is welcome to join in on the suffering. I know I'll be there. You can tune in here. (I'll let Lurdiak tell you what time and other details.)

Stay tuned for prizes

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The redemption stream will start at 8:30 PM EST an will be shown on this ustream channel and you can chat in the horror discord here. This is your last chance to wash the shame off your faces! If you don't tune in, you will be disgraced until the next horror challenge.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The redemption stream begins in 5 minutes!

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Leavemywife posted:

Why is Creepshow in your bottom three? I've always really liked Creepshow, so I'm curious why you're not so crazy about it.

Yeah, I know it's pretty beloved around here but I don't get it. All but one of the stories felt real dopey and lacked any cleverness or actual horror. I blame Steven King as the writer and wouldn't expect anything else from him. The recent Gerald's Game and 1922 are great examples of the dumb poo poo he cranks out. I am curious if I will like creepshow 2 more since he isn't involved.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I’m a loser who only watched 4 movies despite my best intentions :( couldn’t tune in to the redemption stream yesterday but I’ll watch the movie this week and chime in here after I have!

And to atone further, I will line up at least one movie per night for my night shift starting a week from tomorrow :getin:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: LOSERS LIST :siren:

gey muckle mowser

noooooo

I blame my friend for asking me to go see Solo on thursday instead of staying home to watch my last movie. I don’t need to watch Dark Night of the Scarecrow because it was one of the 12 movies I did manage to watch. Instead I’m watching Seeding of a Ghost tonight.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

poo poo I’ve been owned. Shouldn’t have had my car die and then gone out of town for a week I guess. Oh well I’ll find the redemption movie soon.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
(Sorry for the delay. Busy weekend.)

:siren: PRIZES :siren:

Because what's a challenge without some prizes?

:ghost: By completing the challenge, you automatically qualify to be in the raffle for the Main Prize, which is chosen in a random drawing. This year's winner is El Graplurado, who has won himself a copy of

The new 4k remaster of Night of the Living Dead from the Criterion Collection!

If you already own this we'll work something else out

:drac: It's not just about watching the movies, though, it's about thinking and talking about them. That's why this year's Best Reviews prize goes to FreudianSlippers. Thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully write up your viewing experiences. I hope you enjoy reading through Paperbacks From Hell

:zombie: Some of us really wanted to take in the horrors. This challenge's Over-Achiever, the person that watched the most movies, was Almost Blue with 43 movies. To fuel their addiction, they get a free month of FilmStruck with Criterion.

Because Shudder didn't want to work with me on gift subscriptions

:witch: I also like to pick out a few ideas for secret prizes if anyone manages to fulfill them. I call this prize the Franchise Addict. Irony.or.Death, for watching not only every Friday the 13th movie, but also many other entries in all the major landmark series, you get a Camp Crystal Lake t-shirt:

We'll figure out sizing in a PM

Thanks again everyone for participating! I personally found a couple of new favorites, and I always love seeing everyone's enthusiasm for the best film genre. Do you hear that calling? We're exactly 150 days away from Halloween. I'll see you in October. :spooky:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
You da best Fran

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

We're exactly 150 days away from Halloween.

This is too many days. Can we maybe add a third and fourth October?

Thanks again for running this thing, Fran. It's always a blast and I look forward to never having to binge through a 10+ movie franchise again.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You rule Fran!

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

drat it, I am so mad at myself I couldn't manage to watch a measly 13 horror movies. It's been kind of a crazy month for me (oh god oh god I need a job), but I figured 13 would be a piece of cake. I don't know if Dark Night of the Scarecrow is much of a punishment though - it's been a long rear end time since I've seen it but I remember really liking it as a kid. There is a lot of other cool poo poo posted in this thread I hadn't even heard of that I am definitely going to watch later.

I did manage to catch a couple more movies this week though:

The Void (2016) - Other people have talked about it. I liked this one a lot. A couple of story elements (especially the breech birth lady walking it off to kill some mother fuckers) felt like they were stretching a bit to keep things moving, but the overall nightmarish, unreal tone of the film made it work a little better than it might have otherwise. :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5 Would recommend.

The Visitor (1979) - A weird, offbeat take on an Omen-like premise. A lot of things going on aren't made clear, and it actually works pretty well that way. Cool soundtrack and visuals. :bird::bird::bird::bird::bird:/:birddrugs: Another solid recommend.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I loved the first season, but found the second really disappointing. It felt like a giant step away from all the weird forest stuff and closer to a generic procedural.

I mean I still watched the entire thing in the span of like three days, but I wanted to like it a lot more than I did.

Aw, it's kind of a bummer they don't go back there this season. I still need to catch up on it, but even the city monster stuff kept me interested enough.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
drat those are some nice prizes. Def well deserved too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Franchescanado posted:

:drac: It's not just about watching the movies, though, it's about thinking and talking about them. That's why this year's Best Reviews prize goes to FreudianSlippers. Thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully write up your viewing experiences. I hope you enjoy reading through Paperbacks From Hell

Holy smokes I did not expect this. And to think I was seriously considering giving up around film 10. Good thing I didn't.

Thanks a million for putting this thing together, Fran.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I am such a jealous man right now.

Congrats to those who got prizes, though! That's some pretty sweet swag.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate all the kind words, friends! I'll PM the prize winners soon and get the necessary information for sending things their way.

If there are any questions or ideas for the October challenge thread, please feel free PM me or hit me up on discord.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm thinking of maybe doing a different monster every week for the Halloween challenge. Like one week mummies the next witches and the next Frankensteins or Draculas etc. Etc.

It's gonna be rad.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The obvious problem with that approach is you don't have enough weeks, but this is a flaw with all approaches to October

In conclusion,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFPI9b9N6CQ

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

:zombie: Some of us really wanted to take in the horrors. This challenge's Over-Achiever, the person that watched the most movies, was Almost Blue with 43 movies. To fuel their addiction, they get a free month of FilmStruck with Criterion.

Totally missed this! Thanks so much for running the challenge Franchescanado! It was a ton of fun.

(also, I don't have PMs because I haven't bought the platinum upgrade yet, but I will after my next paycheck)

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

The obvious problem with that approach is you don't have enough weeks, but this is a flaw with all approaches to October

If Christmas gets to start in August now, we can start Halloween in, hmm, June?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Shoot, I start it in November

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Irony.or.Death posted:

In conclusion,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFPI9b9N6CQ

Not if I start early and narrow it down to four or five monsters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Not if I start early and narrow it down to four or five monsters.

Narrowing it down is the hard part, especially within each category. A lot of the more obvious monsters, like Dracula, could easily justify an entire 30 day challenge alone.

Horror is such a fun genre for endless categorization and subgenres, I always have a great time planning out some themes for October. In the past I've done themed runs of Dracula, Frankenstein, Werewolves, Lovecraftian, 80's Slasher, Giallo, Witches, Body Horror(aka Cronenberg week), late 90's trash, folk horror, serial killers, Japanese horror, the list goes on and on.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's depressing how there are so few great werewolf movies.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Narrowing it down is the hard part, especially within each category. A lot of the more obvious monsters, like Dracula, could easily justify an entire 30 day challenge alone.

I fuckin love Dracula movies, I have ~28 of them in my collection and there are quite a few that I've seen but haven't picked up yet (like Blood for Dracula). Watching them all in a row would probably get old quick though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

Watching them all in a row would probably get old quick though.

Agreed, but still when it comes down to it I have a hard time making cuts. Like, do you watch Dracula Has Risen From the Grave or Taste the Blood of Dracula? Do you watch Frank Langella Dracula or Jack Palance Dracula?

Franchescanado posted:

It's depressing how there are so few great werewolf movies.

There's enough for like one good solid week of Werewolf horror, but not much more than that, and if you wanted to do it again the next year you'd probably have to depend on rewatches.

For Werewolf Week I'd probably go Wolfman, House of Dracula(for heroic Wolfman), The Howling, Silver Bullet, An American Werewolf in London, Dog Soldiers, and Ginger Snaps.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I turn 30 this year so I think my theme is going to be a film from each year since I was born. There are some rocky years from '88-'18

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Agreed, but still when it comes down to it I have a hard time making cuts. Like, do you watch Dracula Has Risen From the Grave or Taste the Blood of Dracula? Do you watch Frank Langella Dracula or Jack Palance Dracula?

There's enough for like one good solid week of Werewolf horror, but not much more than that, and if you wanted to do it again the next year you'd probably have to depend on rewatches.

For Werewolf Week I'd probably go Wolfman, House of Dracula(for heroic Wolfman), The Howling, Silver Bullet, An American Werewolf in London, Dog Soldiers, and Ginger Snaps.

I love Ginger Snaps.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I love Ginger Snaps.

Even if I didn't like it, which I do, the choices for modern werewolf films that have been made since Dog Soldiers are very slim. There's Late Phases and......

Edit: please nobody bring up Cursed.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 6, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like Ginger Snaps 2 but it's a much weirder film than the first one so it's not exactly as palatable. Also the ending is pretty bad.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

TheKingslayer posted:

I turn 30 this year so I think my theme is going to be a film from each year since I was born. There are some rocky years from '88-'18

Oh that's a cool idea!
Looking through the years they easily have at least one movie that I'd love to at least rewatch. Except 1993, wtf.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 6, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

married but discreet posted:

Oh that's a cool idea!

A few people did it this past October and it seemed to work out pretty well, I think for myself I would just find it too limiting. Too many great films would have to be cut just to stick to the "1 movie per year" format. I'm born in '84, what the hell would I do for 1986-1988? Every year I probably watch like 15 movies from just that period.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basebf555 posted:

Missing The Company of Wolves. A shameful list.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Missing The Company of Wolves. A shameful list.

Yea, I thought about including it but I haven't seen it and I've still not been able to track it down anywhere except for a shoddy version on youtube(and an overpriced blu ray). It's not available on Amazon as a rental.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I kind of want to do a slasher sampler for October; four slashers from each year (probably hitting up NOES and Friday as I can), but I don't own a lot of slashers and being limited to the three streaming services makes it difficult. I don't think I'd get my money's worth out of Shudder, either; my wife isn't crazy about horror movies, my daughter is too little for them (and scary moments in movies are starting to get her terrified), so I really only have the night to watch them (the best time), but that's also my main time to play video games, work on my LP, the time I have for me-time.

Does Shudder have a mobile app? I could probably use that to watch movies, if it's worthwhile.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you stream through Amazon/Prime I'd recommend just picking up Shudder as an add-on for October, Amazon makes it really easy to pick up and drop subscriptions. It would cost you $5 for the entire month and you just cancel it afterwards.

But Shudder isn't good if you want access to a more comprehensive list of slashers from the various iconic franchises, this past Friday the 13th I paid $8 for a month's sub to Starz because that's where all the sequels were available at that moment.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, I thought about including it but I haven't seen it and I've still not been able to track it down anywhere except for a shoddy version on youtube(and an overpriced blu ray). It's not available on Amazon as a rental.

Check your local library, that's how I found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Is it possible to get a list of 31 gremlins knockoffs and tiny monster movies?

There’s 2 Gremlins movies, 4 Critters, 4 Ghoulies, 1 Munchies, 1 Boogens, 2 Hobgoblins, 2 Trolls... if I count the Basketcase movies that’s 19. I feel like I’m missing some.

• Locked thread