Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
2. Creep 2 - this was a blast. It went in a perfect direction following the first movie; Aaron wanting to make a documentary-finale about his own life as a serial killer made the same framing device as the first movie feel fresh. Sara's commitment to making the movie and working with Aaron, along with her apparently not really believing what he's telling her despite video evidence, opened up a weird relationship dynamic that throws off audience expectations in a neat way. Mark Duplass is great as usual, particularly in showing how unstable and lost he is at this stage in his...career, and Desiree Akhavan offers a cool foil despite her character's internal desperation to get that sweet sweet #content for her youtube channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
2. Wishmaster

Bwahahaha this is utterly artless trash, laugh out loud ridiculous. Every death is extremely stupid, and the Wishmaster is basically an even more over the top version of Emperor Palpatine in Episode III.
Loved every second of it. How are the sequels?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

So, I'm going to try this 13 movie challenge, because my girlfriend wants me to pick more movies to watch, even though I say she probably won't like them. 80's horror schlock is my thing, and so far we've done Creepshow, the first Nightmare on Elm Street and Night of the Comet.

Night of the Comet is one of my favorite movies by the way.

But I've got to branch out to the 90s, because I've seen all the worthwhile 80s movies.

What do I go for in the next:

1) In The Mouth of Madness
2) The Dark Half
3) Audition

These are 3 movies I've never seen, but have had on my list. I can only watch one every few days because of time. Are any skipworthy? Please rank them for me CD. More than happy to do first impression writeups afterwards.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 29, 2018

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

2) The Dark Half
3) Audition

These are 3 movies I've never seen, but have had on my list. I can only watch one every few days because of time. Please rank them for me CD. More than happy to do first impression writeups afterwards.

Definitely should watch In the Mouth of Madness next, one of John Carpenter's best and it's kinda underrated.

As for rankings, 1>3>2.

2. All Hallows' Eve-2013: 6/10

Anthology Horror that is mostly terrible but when it's good, it's really good.

Wraparound involves a babysitter and two kids on Halloween night, one of the kids finds a VHS tape in his bag and of course they loving watch it. I actually liked this and if it was just this and the third segment, we'd have a really good movie here.

First segment starts of well with a creepy clown drugging a woman then it just turns into some cult bullshit.

Segment 2 has a dumb as poo poo woman being chased by the stupidest looking alien not seen in a '50s B movie. Easily the worst thing about this movie and it nearly ruins the whole thing.

Segment 3 is great and involves a clown stalking a woman and killing people, not sure why they stuck this in with the first two garbage segments because this so much loving better than those.

And they just released a movie called Terrifier which brings back the clown from the third segment and if it's anything like that, it's gonna be a fun watch.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
1. The Church

Going into it, I didn't know this was a Dario Argento flick. That was pretty cool to see, and I was down for spooky cathedral built on haunted ground.

But, the movie didn't grip me. I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't get into it. Not that I think it was a bad movie; quite the opposite. The acting, effects, and everything else was, I thought, well done. There were some creeps and spooky scenes, but none of it got hold of me and pulled me in.

Maybe one day I'll rewatch it and like it better, but for now, I'm going to say it was a good movie, but not a good movie for me. Even so, I'll give it

7/10

for how good it was, despite my lack of interest.

Don't forget, the poster after me picks my next movie!

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Leavemywife posted:

1. The Church

Going into it, I didn't know this was a Dario Argento flick. That was pretty cool to see, and I was down for spooky cathedral built on haunted ground.

But, the movie didn't grip me. I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't get into it. Not that I think it was a bad movie; quite the opposite. The acting, effects, and everything else was, I thought, well done. There were some creeps and spooky scenes, but none of it got hold of me and pulled me in.

Maybe one day I'll rewatch it and like it better, but for now, I'm going to say it was a good movie, but not a good movie for me. Even so, I'll give it

7/10

for how good it was, despite my lack of interest.

Don't forget, the poster after me picks my next movie!

Watch Society on Prime if you haven't seen it! It was my first movie for this challenge and well...do you like Cronenberg-esque body horror? Go watch Society. It sure is something. I love it, if only for the fact that I won't be forgetting it any time soon.

Alternatively, The Wailing for a slow-burn Korean horror on Netflix.

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 29, 2018

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

married but discreet posted:

2. Wishmaster

Bwahahaha this is utterly artless trash, laugh out loud ridiculous. Every death is extremely stupid, and the Wishmaster is basically an even more over the top version of Emperor Palpatine in Episode III.
Loved every second of it. How are the sequels?

2 is watchable but definitely stop there, it gets real bad after that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Several Goblins posted:

Watch Society on Prime if you haven't seen it! It was my first movie for this challenge and well...do you like Cronenberg-esque body horror?

I was actually planning on watching this based on your review, so hell yeah, number 2, here I come. Hopefully tonight.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Leavemywife posted:

1. The Church

I had the exact same sentiment, it might just not be that gripping.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'll be doing 13 movies this time:

31 (2016)
Amityville IV: The Evil Escapes (1989)
Angel Heart (1987)
Basket Case 2 (1990)
Christine (1983)
Crazies (1973)
Demonoid: Messenger of Death (1981)
Destroyer (1988)
Dracula's Daughter (1936)
Psycho II (1983)
Strange Circus (2005)
Wishmaster II: Evil Never Dies (1999)
XX (2017)

Tom Gorman posted:

2) The Dark Half
3) Audition

These are 3 movies I've never seen, but have had on my list. I can only watch one every few days because of time. Are any skipworthy? Please rank them for me CD. More than happy to do first impression writeups afterwards.

I like all three of these movies quite a bit but In The Mouth of Madness and Audition are GOAT levels of awesome so if you do have to skip one I'd skip The Dark Half. Audition and In the Mouth of Madness I can't really rank for you though since they're so different, they're both excellent in a lot of ways.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I had the exact same sentiment, it might just not be that gripping.

I'm glad it's not just me. In these threads, I feel like I'm posting amateur hour poo poo against competent reviews, and it's good to see I'm not alone in some of my sentiments.

From someone who liked the movie, could you tell me your thoughts? I wanted to like it, but it was just missing something I don't know how to articulate.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
As Above, So Below

The unusual found footage film that attempts to fire every Checkov's Gun and tie up every character's emotional arc.

It succeeds in being claustrophobic and disorienting. It experiments with aspects of the the rote found footage genre and tries to use them to serve the characters instead of only trying to scare the audience.The jump scares actually act as character development, and it plays well with the multiple cameras following character perspectives. I also like the elliptical plot structure. It throws every idea into the mix, which causes some wonky moments in the last act, but it ultimately works for it's benefit. Plus all the fun references to Dante's Inferno and myths about the catacombs.

The lead actress, Perdita Weeks, is incredibly charming, and the rest of the cast is defined well enough. It was refreshing having intelligent lead characters in a FF movie.

The obvious double feature would be The Descent, but I think this would pair well with another found footage film I really like: Grave Encounters.

I'm surprised by how low this movie is rated; the overall experience trumps most of the flaws.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

Thanks Basebf555!

Who will pick my next movie?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Fright Night! The original. Not that new turd froma few years ago.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

Fright Night! The original. Not that new turd froma few years ago.

One of my favorites! I'm due for a rewatch, so thanks

If anyone else wants to pick some movies from my list for me, I'd appreciate it. Thay way I can have a few at the ready.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 29, 2018

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

I was actually planning on watching this based on your review, so hell yeah, number 2, here I come. Hopefully tonight.

:getin:

3. Motel Hell 3/5

I can't believe this has flown under my radar for so long. Farmer siblings Vincent and Ida run a roadside motel/meat processing company. His smoked, all natural meats (with no preservatives) are adored county-wide. But the family business is a little more on the cannibalistic side than visitors may think. It was a lot of fun and fairly creepy. I see it billed as a horror/comedy but, aside from a couple lines of dialogue, I didn't really get the comedy side. But I could just be nit-picking. The movie is completely worth it, if only for the chainsaw duel at the end. Oh, and the biggest plot twist of all: He used preservatives.

4. TerrorVision 2/5

I went ahead and knocked this out out too. A family adjusting their new satellite dish becomes home to a grotesque alien that was accidentally launched through space by a careless alien janitor. I...didn't love this movie. It's over-the-top ridiculous in tone, lame comedy and looks, but I kind of wanted more to balance that out. The monster itself is goofy and gross but I felt like this movie was thiiiiis close to being a Troma film, but missing the overblown gore and nudity. Without the other hallmarks of a silly, gross-out horror movie, it felt a lot more eye-rolling than anything. It's not bad, but I think I just wanted more out of it.

On a side note: How did I accidentally watch two horror movies in a row that featured a fetish swinger couple?

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 29, 2018

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
3. Pieces
This was far, far oversold to me. Very generic slasher movie with just a very small amount of baffling scenes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

3. Pieces
This was far, far oversold to me. Very generic slasher movie with just a very small amount of baffling scenes.

You should've believed the poster.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

I'll go for endurance, but set 31 as the low bar. I just watched two rather unique films on Prime.

1. Suite 313 - This isn't a bad, videogame movie, it's a "bad videogame" movie. The entire film is shot over the shoulder of the protoganist, a cop who's been sent in to investigate a creepy rear end building with weird techno-occult stuff going on (and who can't get through a sentence without saying "bitch" at least twice). He's guided by an omniscient voice mysteriously coming from his radio who helpfully guides him through each waypoint and gives him helpful advice like "your last two bullets are explosive rounds," "there's magical healing potions in the kitchen" and "shoot it until it dies." While being constantly called a bitch. I would've hung up on him.

Basically a Let's Play of the second level of a Resident Evil knockoff. 3/10

2. <<Rwd - This one's going to be real hard to get into without spoilers, and it sounds bog standard without them. Two YouTubers go out into the woods to shoot a ghost show, wander around for a bit (the standard found footage opening of "nothing happens" for half an hour), and then crawl into an old silo which somehow conceals a giant abandoned factory. Then creepy poo poo happens. Then it goes completely and gloriously off the reels. They go back in time and cause the creepy poo poo that happened to them to make a better show. Repeat that, possibly ad infinitum.

Seeing as I like found footage films, amateurism, and the other thing, I enjoyed it. 6/10.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I have decided that my primary goal this time is going to be filling in some major holes in my viewing history. This mostly means I'm going to watch all the Friday the 13th movies, Hellraisers past Bloodlines, and a few Halloweens I'm dreading even more than the Hellraisers. I will occasionally fill in with non-franchise stuff to keep myself from going insane, starting with

1. Ghostwatch (1992) - 3/5. In my book the only horror less interesting than a ghost movie is a possession movie. That said, as ghost movies go this is pretty cool. The BBC special gimmick is way cooler than found footage and the various hosts/guests sniping at each other keep the first half from being too boring, but it still kind of drags. The end is a cool idea although they should have gone farther with it than they did. More interesting as a cultural artifact than a movie. Better than most movies I'd say that about.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
A large part of my pile of movies to get through are horror movies, so count me in on this too. Starting tomorrow, May proper. I don't know how many I'll watch but it'll be more than 13. They'll mostly be older movies as recent things seem inaccessible until I get some kind of subscription service. I'm no good at reviews.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

3. Day of the Dead: Bloodline: 3/10

Garbage remake of the Romero classic. Besides some alright gore, there is absolutely nothing else to recommend here.

One day someone will get a remake of this right...maybe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Mad Magician

See this is why I'm glad these Mill Creek bargain bin DVD sets exist. You'll never find a definitive version of any film on these sets, but what you CAN find is underseen gems that don't get a lot of attention maybe because they've never had a proper release. The Mad Magician is currently like $50 for a blu ray on Amazon, no way in hell I was ever going to blind buy that.

Anyway, in this film Vincent Price plays a struggling magician who makes ends meet by crafting new tricks for a more successful and famous performer. This more famous magician and their business manager(who happens to be married to Price's ex-wife) screw him out of a trick he intended to keep for his own act, and lets just say he does not take that very well...

Price's character is a master of disguise(always fun with Price), and he goes about exacting his revenge in a very Dr. Phibes-like fashion. Unfortunately for him a detective is on his trail, and there's actually a very interesting little subplot involving the developing science of fingerprinting.

The Mad Magician really deserves to be included in the same discussions as a lot of Prices most fun performances like The Abominable Dr. Phibes, The House of Wax, and The Tingler. If you have the opportunity to grab a copy of it somewhere(I happened upon this set at Walmart for really cheap) definitely do it.

Completed: 1. The Raven 2. The Last Man on Earth 3. The Mad Magician

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Mirror Mirror (1990)

An evil mirror murders various people around a spooky girl.

This film is derivative of better films. The main character, played by Rainbow Harvest, is a blatant Lydia Deets rip-off. The mirror is a Faustian construct, which was a popular go-to in the late 80's (like Little Shop of Horrors). There's toxic female relationships (it's a little hard to ignore some similarities to The Heathers and other Winona Ryder vehicles with Rainbow Harvest trying to follow in her footsteps), which would continue through the decade with films like Ginger Snaps and The Craft. Here the characters feel like shallow first draft versions.

Nonetheless, the film manages to have a few good moments to justify the concept. Most notably, there is a death where a main character's boyfriend is seduced by a mimic of his girlfriend, who proceeds to drown him in a bathtub with forceful kissing/biting. It's very well done. There's another death involving a garbage disposal sink that manages to land, despite now being a trite scare.

:spooky::spooky: / 5, soft recommendation for a short B-movie

List: As Above, So Below | Mirror Mirror ('90)

Horror Movie List (still open to picks from this list)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Horror Movie List (still open to picks from this list)

You definitely need to do a Phantasm double feature at some point this month. The new restoration from last year is fantastic.

If you find yourself in the mood for something more recent, don't forget about Baskin. That goes for everyone actually, more people need to be aware of Baskin and these challenges are a great opportunity.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

You definitely need to do a Phantasm double feature at some point this month. The new restoration from last year is fantastic.

If you find yourself in the mood for something more recent, don't forget about Baskin. That goes for everyone actually, more people need to be aware of Baskin and these challenges are a great opportunity.

I'll push Baskin up on the list! I always forget about making it a priority. Same with the Phantasms, thanks for reminding me about that. Is the new restoration still on Shudder?

edit: The restoration is available, but Phantasm 2 is not. Harumph.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 30, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I'll push Baskin up on the list! I always forget about making it a priority. Same with the Phantasms, thanks for reminding me about that. Is the new restoration still on Shudder?

edit: The restoration is available, but Phantasm 2 is not. Harumph.

I'd say just watch Phantasm and then if you like it, that means that Phantasm 2 is 100% worth the four dollar rental price. I'd compare it to like an Evil Dead/Evil Dead II situation. More of the same just a bigger budget and everything dialed up to 11.

Warning about Baskin, it features some pretty extreme violence including one scene of sexual violence but not imo the pointless exploitative kind(others may disagree).

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 30, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'd say just watch Phantasm and then if you like it, that means that Phantasm 2 is 100% worth the four dollar rental price. I'd compare it to like an Evil Dead/Evil Dead II situation. More of the same just a bigger budget and everything dialed up to 11.

Warning about Baskin, it features some pretty extreme violence including one scene of sexual violence but not imo the pointless exploitative kind(others may disagree).

I've seen Phantasm (back when it was on Netflix streaming in 2010 maybe?), but I haven't seen it since and need to rewatch it. I'll probably just order Phantasm 2 or something.

Movies on my list that I've seen but deserve re-watches:

Phantasm
Silence of the Lambs
28 Days Later
Inland Empire

Thanks for the heads up on Baskin. I don't have any group watches planned in the near future. My Horror Movie Nights have been replaced by a horror D&D campaign I'm DMing.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Lt Tofu linked me to this thread and it seems like my sorta thing. Gonna try for 13.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
1. Shocker (1989)

This was totally nuts. Wes Craven is dements and it's great. It’s kind of an inverse of Nightmare on Elm Street (Teen goes into his dreams to find info about/stop a killer), but it really goes off the rails after the opening 30 minutes or so.

I really admire how much of this movie just files by without explanation. There’s no reason why Jonathan is having premonitions of the murders. There’s no reason why Alison comes back as a ghost. There’s no reason why or how Pinker has knowledge of voodoo. It’s never even explained exactly what Horace Pinker’s powers are! They constantly shift throughout as it becomes convenient. Also, I love how Jonathan’s friends instantly believe whatever he says.

There’s a lot of obvious thematic interest here, although not an especially nuanced one. Television is at the forefront of the film. It’s constantly broadcasting & infecting the world with violence. But in a way television is displayed to not just display violence, but it is an act of violence in of itself. Pinker becomes television, jumping from person-to-person controlling them and unleashing acts of brutality as a symbol of what TV can do. He only leaves them after using up all of their life. Media consumes the viewer rather than the other way around.

What is done to audiences is overcome through the familial love (not biological but that of communities) and mutual understanding of basic humanity and mortality. And also pausing & fast-forwarding TV in a goofy & terrific final sequence.

Like I said, not particularly nuanced but loads of fun.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m in if I can get the “next poster tells you what to watch” rule. I suck at picking.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

fr0id posted:

I’m in if I can get the “next poster tells you what to watch” rule. I suck at picking.

Might be better if you provide a list or at least a vague idea of what kinds of movies you're looking for.

Otherwise my answer by default is always From Beyond.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

fr0id posted:

You'll start with...

Stitches, on Netflix.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fr0id posted:

Are you open to a free-for-all of recommendations, or do you want to limit it to some streaming services?

Also, you've seen a lot of movies. Any sub-genres you want to explore more?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm going to tag this thread, post my personal challenge, and I'll be back tomorrow to post what I watched.

Last October I think I tapped-out after 20 movies (it's difficult to juggle work, personal life and this) so 13 should be manageable. I'm going with 13 new horror films that I've heard a lot about but never sat down to watch myself. Think of it as shortening my movie queue by knocking off some horror flicks.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m open to a free-for-all of recs. I’ve seen stitches and from beyond but will give both a rewatch!

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Didn't start with Castle Freak how I originally planned and the 1st of 13 ended up being Mom and Dad.

Pretty much what I expected from Brian Taylor. It's ridiculously funny and even managed to cause me start doing a mental "no no no no no no no NO NO" to myself when The Mom's sister gave birth and she started to try and strangle the newborn. . It's really the last movie I expected to get a visceral reaction out of me like that. Nicolas Cage does his thing and doesn't disappoint. Can't wait to see him in Mandy later this summer once that finally gets released.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fr0id posted:

I’m open to a free-for-all of recs. I’ve seen stitches and from beyond but will give both a rewatch!

I hope you like musicals, because I'd like you to watch The Lure

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

5. Blood Diner 4/5

THIS is what I wanted from TerrorVision. Completely over-the-top in every way. Funny, silly, goofy and absolutely bonkers. Two brothers work with their uncle (A disembodied brain in a jar) to create a "blood buffet" in the back of their diner, with the goal of resurrecting an ancient Lumerian goddess. I knew I was in for a ride when the first couple of minutes is a man stopping by his nephew's house, mid-meat cleaver murder spree, and gifting them two ancient magical necklaces before being gunned down by the police. Moments later the brothers are grown, grave-robbing and smacking people's eyeballs out of their heads with a shovel. If you want an endlessly silly horror movie, you could certainly do worse.

Someone pick my next movie. Faust: Love of the Damned, Terrifier or Wish Upon.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Several Goblins posted:

Faust: Love of the Damned

I've never seen it, but it's a Yuzna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Several Goblins posted:

5. Blood Diner 4/5

THIS is what I wanted from TerrorVision. Completely over-the-top in every way. Funny, silly, goofy and absolutely bonkers. Two brothers work with their uncle (A disembodied brain in a jar) to create a "blood buffet" in the back of their diner, with the goal of resurrecting an ancient Lumerian goddess. I knew I was in for a ride when the first couple of minutes is a man stopping by his nephew's house, mid-meat cleaver murder spree, and gifting them two ancient magical necklaces before being gunned down by the police. Moments later the brothers are grown, grave-robbing and smacking people's eyeballs out of their heads with a shovel. If you want an endlessly silly horror movie, you could certainly do worse.

Someone pick my next movie. Faust: Love of the Damned, Terrifier or Wish Upon.

The only thing I know about Faust is that it has a really weird fetish scene in it thanks to someone posting a YouTube clip of it on 4chan once

• Locked thread