Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dias posted:

I mean, you should be hype for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k6GC5NtuAg&hd=1

also apparently Ninja Souls is basically Tenchu so that might be cool too.

perhaps they can make a bushido blade DLC while they're at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Isn't Anthem being released the same day as literally 25 other games?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Diabetic posted:

Isn't Anthem being released the same day as literally 25 other games?

February 22nd is the release date of Anthem, Days Gone, Crackdown 3 and Metro: Exodus.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

univbee posted:

February 22nd is the release date of Anthem, Days Gone, Crackdown 3 and Metro: Exodus.

They either have a ton of faith in these games or some of these are being shipped out then to die.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

Whatever the motivation it's still pretty scummy within the context of this greater trend toward outsourcing cheap contract labor over hiring an actual salaried employee. Ubisoft isn't some fledgling studio, they're one of the largest and most profitable video game publishers on the planet and can afford to employ dedicated artists for their time.

Sure, but they're not actually outsourcing something important like physics coding. The end-goal is random graffiti that needs to look like it's done by random individual artists. You're not going to get better than letting the fans have at it. The ones selected get paid, and there's probably going to be a LOT of pieces selected given how big the game world is implied to be. Not to mention they'll randomly cycle on top of that. As far as numbers games go, this one's really more in favour of the artists than not.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sure, but they're not actually outsourcing something important like physics coding. The end-goal is random graffiti that needs to look like it's done by random individual artists. You're not going to get better than letting the fans have at it. The ones selected get paid, and there's probably going to be a LOT of pieces selected given how big the game world is implied to be. Not to mention they'll randomly cycle on top of that. As far as numbers games go, this one's really more in favour of the artists than not.

You only say this because art in our society has been so brutally devalued compared to “something important.” Asking people to generate art assets for your game that you’re selling for actual money, and they *might* get paid for their time and effort, regardless the motivation, is scummy and exploitative as gently caress.

This one is actually in favor of the huge billion dollar corporation because they get free labor they don’t have to pay for, pay out chump change for the labor they like, and incorporate it into an end product they get to sell and keep all of the profit from for the entire lifespan of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Art assets are regularly one of the most expensive, labor-intensive and time consuming aspects of game development, this definitely isn't throwaway work they're asking for here.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ubisoft spent all their millions on cg trailers for the game so they just can't afford to make it themselves

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dueling Bandsaws posted:

I don't think Jeff Gerstmann is excited for anything that isn't the sweet release of death at this point.

It's the 1v1 arena shooter /collectible card game prototype gearbox made to salvage their battleborn assets, probably.

Probably not gonna make a big impact on anybody.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

exquisite tea posted:

Art assets are regularly one of the most expensive, labor-intensive and time consuming aspects of game development, this definitely isn't throwaway work they're asking for here.

How do you feel about games like Mario Maker and Little Big Planet in this context? While it's not exactly the same, the fact that you gain access to a massive amount of content that others have made is definitely a selling point that adds significant value to the product.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gravy Jones posted:

How do you feel about games like Mario Maker and Little Big Planet in this context? While it's not exactly the same, the fact that you gain access to a massive amount of content that others have made is definitely a selling point that adds significant value to the product.

Giving players editing tools to develop creative content for an already feature-complete product that has paid a salary to the people who worked on it is completely, totally separate from commissioning fans to do cheap labor and reaping sales from an as-yet unfinished project. There is no comparison here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

that's an unbelievably stupid loving comparison, for one the whole point of those games is a creative exercise, you're buying the game specifically to get access to that toolset to play around with it, and secondly everyone knows going into that no matter how good you are at making super mario levels there is no possibility that you are ever going to make any money off of it. the BG&E2 thing is something that previously they would have paid artists honestly for but now they've found a way to pit artists against each other like stray dogs in the hope that they might receive scraps

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

exquisite tea posted:

Giving players editing tools to develop creative content for an already feature-complete product that has paid a salary to the people who worked on it is completely, totally separate from commissioning fans to do cheap labor and reaping sales from an as-yet unfinished project. There is no comparison here.

Cool, that makes sense. The rise of awareness of this kind of stuff in games media is good to see and something I find pretty interesting. There's a lot of aspects to it that I hadn't really considered before.

homeless snail posted:

that's an unbelievably stupid loving comparison, for one the whole point of those games is a creative exercise, you're buying the game specifically to get access to that toolset to play around with it, and secondly everyone knows going into that no matter how good you are at making super mario levels there is no possibility that you are ever going to make any money off of it. the BG&E2 thing is something that previously they would have paid artists honestly for but now they've found a way to pit artists against each other like stray dogs in the hope that they might receive scraps

Harsh, but thanks for the answer. I own both games and haven't touched the toolset in either of them. Some people do buy them just to play the levels other people make. I was just checking if people who have more knowledge about this kind of stuff than I are down on these sort of games, or marketing these games as having content that wasn't created by the developers, and am glad that they're not. I suspect in the past there have been issues with many and various attempts to abuse fan/player created content.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 14, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

homeless snail posted:

The last part is the important bit tome. Even if they pay winning submissions theres going to be a lot of work and hours of time artists are putting in for just the chance of pay. Its a principle problem.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sharkopath posted:

The last part is the important bit tome. Even if they pay winning submissions theres going to be a lot of work and hours of time artists are putting in for just the chance of pay. Its a principle problem.

Just like...the real job market.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

That's not how jobs work yet. Maybe in the gig economy mark 2.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

then take portfolios and commission artists like its a real job, instead of coming up with one weird trick for Cheap Art

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Saint Freak posted:

In the real job market you get a commitment to get paid before you turn over the finished art.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My startup invites a dozen hopeful janitors to try out a month long cleaning gig, and then at the end you as the employer get to vote for who wins the amazon gift card, were passing the savings on to you.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
So toys to life games are always aimed at kids and have kid friendly, quite boring gameplay for manchildren difficulty right?

Because if Starlink has a really challenging difficulty setting then ahaha they'll be getting so much money from me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Are you ok dude

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Vitamin P posted:

So toys to life games are always aimed at kids and have kid friendly, quite boring gameplay for manchildren difficulty right?

Because if Starlink has a really challenging difficulty setting then ahaha they'll be getting so much money from me.

Skylanders (or at least some of them) actually had an unlockable "Nightmare" difficulty level (on top of the regulary easy, medium, hard) but the mechanics wouldn't have changed. The gameplay was OK in some of them and they had a fair bit of variety and some well designed levels/puzzles sequences. Fairly obviously targeted at kids though. Disney Infinity and the Lego one were both overly complicated messes. My biggest problem with them is the length they go to to gate content and how complicated it gets when they try to treat the games as a platform in subsequent releases. I'm glad my kid seems to have outgrown them but.... spaceships!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Not at all.

There’s a difference between freelancing and spec work. When you freelance, you’re hired with an agreed-upon rate before you produce the work they ask you for.

Ubisoft is asking for spec work: produce the finished work, then we’ll decide if we’re going to pay you. There’s a huge difference. Spec work is one step above working for “exposure,” and it’s not a big step.

This is also different from something like a writer shopping around a short story. Sure, that writer needs a finished product first, but they didn’t write it to someone else’s specifications. They can shop it around if their first choice doesn’t buy it. With spec work, that’s rarely the case. Nobody else out there has open paid submissions for BG&E-themed pirate logos.

What Ubisoft should do is accept portfolios and then hire artists who they think are a good fit.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 14, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fan contests also as far as I've seen are 100% just giving away small trinkets that are only worthwhile to fans of the game so instead of a competition to generate an asset library their level artists are going to use later it's more of an outlet to excite your existing fanbase.

It's a difference.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Saint Freak posted:

u get kill fees in real freelancer art jobs that pay a % depending how far thru u are with the work and u get 100% if u finished the work

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its have a way different reaction if the game existed and was out, and the contest was pretty much exactly the same except they offered a cool ship for the top 5 submissions. That's a real rear end fan contest for a game that exists and has fans.

They're asking instead for artists to build them a library for an upcoming artpass and arent offering pay for work submitted, itis a principle thing to me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

No interns were used in the making of this post.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did they ever say what Judge's Week game was embargoed until yesterday?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Harrow posted:

I was a little surprised there wasn't anything for Red Dead Redemption 2 at any of the press conferences, especially given how close it is to release, but I guess the focus was more on revealing totally new games or showing off gameplay for games we haven't seen much of yet and RDR2 is somewhere in between.

I don't think Rockstar has had an E3 presence since the Agent trailer. They are the one developer big enough to completely ignore E3 and not be any worse for the wear.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Abolish all megacorporations and eat the rich stock holders, rise up my brothers and sisters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

perhaps they can make a bushido blade DLC while they're at it

The Bushido Blade DLC is called Ghost of Tsushima.

Diabetic posted:

They either have a ton of faith in these games or some of these are being shipped out then to die.

From what I can tell this gen Q1 is the new Q4.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Not at all.

There’s a difference between freelancing and spec work. When you freelance, you’re hired with an agreed-upon rate before you produce the work they ask you for.

Ubisoft is asking for spec work: produce the finished work, then we’ll decide if we’re going to pay you. There’s a huge difference. Spec work is one step above working for “exposure,” and it’s not a big step.

This is also different from something like a writer shopping around a short story. Sure, that writer needs a finished product first, but they didn’t write it to someone else’s specifications. They can shop it around if their first choice doesn’t buy it. With spec work, that’s rarely the case. Nobody else out there has open paid submissions for BG&E-themed pirate logos.

What Ubisoft should do is accept portfolios and then hire artists who they think are a good fit.

You are aware that no one is being forced to participate, right? An artist who has a portfolio good enough that they expect to be paid for their time just simply won't submit an entry or will apply for a real job through the typical job application methods.

So, it's not even spec work it's, "exposure". People who want to get into making video game art and have no portfolio are being given an opportunity to create a portfolio of published work.

It hardly seems like the baby eating monstrosity it's being portrayed as.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Murgos posted:

You are aware that no one is being forced to participate, right? An artist who has a portfolio good enough that they expect to be paid for their time just simply won't submit an entry or will apply for a real job through the typical job application methods.

So, it's not even spec work it's, "exposure". People who want to get into making video game art and have no portfolio are being given an opportunity to create a portfolio of published work.

Stop defending and accepting the devaluation of peoples talents and time. People should be valued and their talents should be compensated in a fair and reasonable way, full stop.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Murgos posted:

https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt/status/993566144991842304

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Would you feel the same way if they were offering pennies to people to crowdsource the programming? Hey guys, program a line of this game and we'll throw you a few dollars while we, the globe spanning mega-corporation will now fully own your work and all derivations of it forever and we'll also be the only ones getting 100% of the profit from the game!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Murgos posted:

This kind of practice, like ONE YEAR LATER posted, devalues artists' talent and time. I don't care if "no one is being forced to participate." loving, of course they're not. That doesn't make it not lovely.

Here's the thing: Ubisoft is trying to get work on the cheap here. That's what this is. They spent a ton of money making those CGI trailers for this game--they can afford to just hire some loving artists. They're not doing anyone a favor here except themselves. It's a lovely practice and it shouldn't be rewarded.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I know everyone is arguing over the morals of asking random people to make art for a game, but isnt it just posters and graffiti?
As far as i'm aware he didnt ask for 3d models or anything to be custom created - graffiti photos and posters designs are the kind of thing some kids have a whole shitload of already so the idea that they're doing it to 'take advantage' is a bit of a stretch. Those kids would get a kick out of seeing something they did on the wall of the game. He didnt ask anyone to model assets or texture an entire piece of architecture.

I think you are over estimating how much time is spent on art assets like this. Having some kids send in posters and graffiti for the staff artists to place around does not save them much money or time at all. It's loving meaningless and there are services where you can pay $80 a month and get access to hundreds of royalty free assets to use. So yeah, poo poo like this is next to worthless within game creation. Some kid might really enjoy seeing a fake poster they did for class on a wall in the game though.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 14, 2018

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The first BG&E was over rated as gently caress.

Don't buy the sequel and don't do their homework for them for free. This is a multi-million dollar corporation that makes their money with yearly iterations of fairly tired franchises.

gently caress them and gently caress their nostalgia cash-in.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My question is: am I allowed to still like Joseph Gordon Levitt?

He seems very likeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My question is: am I allowed to still like Joseph Gordon Levitt?

He seems very likeable.
only 3rd rock from the sun JGL

• Locked thread