Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

One of the best Clyde related things in Elementary.

Season 3 episode 19

I was going back through old episodes that I remembered liking a bunch before S6 started and I skipped this one.

Definitely rectifying that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Before s6 started, I didn't get very far in the above endeavour. I have now reached s4 and 3 episodes in to it, I'm probably just gonna rewatch the whole thing. John Noble is even better as Morland than I remembered. :allears:

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Some of Jonny Lee Miller's best acting in the series. Honestly this episode exceeded all of my expectations.

Even if this series basically treats most of the actual crimes/mysteries/murders as McGuffins does not mean the episodes can't all be pretty good like this one. And actually the crime was actually interesting in this episode I also appreciated that the writers faked me out in a believable way. "The husband did it!" "Oh wait maybe not" "Ha-ha Fooled you!" The plot line did not seem like a cop out. I will be really interested to see how a potential serial killer/recovering drug addict plays out. If Shinwell ended up causing Joan and Sherlock so much grief despite at least trying not to, what's going to happen with a guy who may one day actually want to hurt them? Final thought: Sherlock's throwaway line to Michael about being between sponsors probably means Alfredo isn't making an appearence on this show any time soon

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
It was pretty apparent to me who did it early on.

Hail hydra!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

LaptopGun posted:

Final thought: Sherlock's throwaway line to Michael about being between sponsors probably means Alfredo isn't making an appearence on this show any time soon
Sherlock "relieved" Alfredo of his sponsorship duties in S4 so that they could be actual friends instead of dudes that get together to help keep each other sober. Ironically I think that might be the last time we saw him, so I wonder if that was a way to write Ato Essandoh off the show.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Sherlock "relieved" Alfredo of his sponsorship duties in S4 so that they could be actual friends instead of dudes that get together to help keep each other sober. Ironically I think that might be the last time we saw him, so I wonder if that was a way to write Ato Essandoh off the show.

I thought he did that in season 2.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Season 2's when Sherlock became a sponsor for some kid, Randy, that was in like 3 episodes and hasn't even been offhandedly mentioned since.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nuclear powered lightning gun :science:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I think Elementary's formula is starting to become a little too obvious, because as soon as the episode mentioned a dirty bomb I knew the actual crime was not going to have anything to do with a dirty bomb. I do love the swerves a lot of this show's crimes pull, but I feel like there needs to be the very occasional episode without a bizarre twist.

Also was it just me, or did the agent being in on it and the final scene in the graveyard feel really tacked-on to anyone else?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I think Elementary's formula is starting to become a little too obvious, because as soon as the episode mentioned a dirty bomb I knew the actual crime was not going to have anything to do with a dirty bomb. I do love the swerves a lot of this show's crimes pull, but I feel like there needs to be the very occasional episode without a bizarre twist.

Also was it just me, or did the agent being in on it and the final scene in the graveyard feel really tacked-on to anyone else?
The agent being involved was pretty obvious to me; Elementary doesn't let anyone competent in the US government not be in on it, unless they're in the NYPD itself.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Agent McNally manages to skirt the line, though he's only as competent as he needs to be to be a block on Sherlock and Joan.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The lingering Watson's Dad plot thread is now resolved.
There is so many one-off characters that I'd love to see re-appear in the final season. Wheelchair anti-Artificial Intelligence professor, John Hannah the ex-drug dealer, Gregson's serial killer nemesis, white australian neil degrasse tyson, Pam, the Nose.

I would be extremely cool with the season 6 finale being an rechartered N.Y.O.O.P.I. versus E.S.O.O.P.I. battle royale. Jamie Moriarty, of course, would be leading the N.Y.O.O.P.I. with Moriarty method trained detectives.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

How was this plan suppose to work? I mean, the plan hinged on the idea that the police would be distracted by a dirty bomb. First of all, how would they convince the police that this dirty bomb was credible? Would that anonymous tip direct attention to the research lab? And second, why did they need to kill the "bomb-maker"? What did his death have to do with the plan?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why wouldn't a truck take a left on an empty intersection in the middle of the night?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why wouldn't a truck take a left on an empty intersection in the middle of the night?

Lol I thought the same thing. I've done enough delivery work that I can say without hesitation that it's better to plan your routes around right turns but there's a lot of instances where it's the better option to just wait for the turn signal, even in rush hour traffic.

e: I guess it's an issue of either prioritizing saving time or fuel when you can't choose both. Even still, middle of night, still seems best just to take the left.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 8, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lol I thought the same thing. I've done enough delivery work that I can say without hesitation that it's better to plan your routes around right turns but there's a lot of instances where it's the better option to just wait for the turn signal, even in rush hour traffic.

e: I guess it's an issue of either prioritizing saving time or fuel when you can't choose both. Even still, middle of night, still seems best just to take the left.

This confused the hell out of me, because Australia generally doesn't permit turning left (the equivalent of a right turn in the US) through a red light the way they often do in the States. You have to wait for the light.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 9, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Lord Bude posted:

This confused the hell out of me, because Australia generally doesn't permit turning right (the equivalent of a left turn in the US) through a red light the way they often do in the States. You have to wait for the light.

You can turn right on red lights in rightmost lanes in a lot, but not all, places in the US. Sometimes right on red is general but there are local exceptions for certain potentially dangerous intersections. Sometimes I think whole states might not allow it? Though none I've driven in in the SE. Then there's michigan lefts and I have no clue what the gently caress is even going on with.

e: Oh and when I said "wait for the turn signal" I meant wait for the left-hand green light in dedicated turn lanes.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 9, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Milo and POTUS posted:

You can turn right on red lights in rightmost lanes in a lot, but not all, places in the US. Sometimes right on red is general but there are local exceptions for certain potentially dangerous intersections.

Sorry, I mistyped in my post. This is what I was talking about. You can't do this here at all. It's unheard of.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Fun little episode but we got like zero characterization of the actual criminals. I guess the writers ran out of time

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think the better question is, why is there a delivery truck making rounds in the middle of the night?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I think that was a problem, because they've done this episode well before, but... they've done this episode well, before. I'd say it was a Snow Angels episode, and an End of Watch episode. And a the-episode-where-they're-actually-stealing-paintings-from-wall-street episode. I wish I could remember the name for the last one, it's one of my favorites, but ANYWAY, it's hard to do episodes with exactly the same formula when you've done it before, multiple times, particularly well.

Also:

6x05 Bits and Pieces Sherlock Holmes, Joan Watson & Detective Bell

Sherlock and Joan retrace Sherlock’s steps after he finds himself in possession of a severed head and no memory of the past six hours or why he has it.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pick posted:

I think that was a problem, because they've done this episode well before, but... they've done this episode well, before. I'd say it was a Snow Angels episode, and an End of Watch episode. And a the-episode-where-they're-actually-stealing-paintings-from-wall-street episode. I wish I could remember the name for the last one, it's one of my favorites, but ANYWAY, it's hard to do episodes with exactly the same formula when you've done it before, multiple times, particularly well.

Also:

6x05 Bits and Pieces Sherlock Holmes, Joan Watson & Detective Bell

Sherlock and Joan retrace Sherlock’s steps after he finds himself in possession of a severed head and no memory of the past six hours or why he has it.

You want season 5 episode 6 for the no-actually-they're looting paintings from wall street hijinks episode.
It started with a snake venom poisoning at a boutique NYC restaurant that lead to the mass poisoning of internet certificate authenicators which eventually lead to wall street cyber attack fears...but it was really an artwork heist from the lobby of the USSE lobby.

That upcoming Elementary episode tidbit...Angus the phrenology bust needed a buddy?

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Since season 6 started so late, I forgot it's cancel/renew time already... We get one more season of hoping to see Moriarty again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jorghnassen posted:

Since season 6 started so late, I forgot it's cancel/renew time already... We get one more season of hoping to see Moriarty again.

Well that's a surprise. I thought for sure that this would be the last season.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well that's a surprise. I thought for sure that this would be the last season.

I've been thinking the same thing since season 5.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jorghnassen posted:

Woah!! Nuts!! Also, yay! I'm still very pleased.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pushing Buttons

Holmes and Watson investigate a case in which the victim was killed during a Revolutionary War re-enactment; Holmes grows frustrated with the length of his cognitive recovery; he finds solace in his growing friendship with Michael.

go gay for michael, might as well lean the hell into this bad relationship, my dude

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TONIGHT!

e: plz investigrate my crimmandos

Pick fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 15, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder what kind of game Michael is playing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

gay murder chicken

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
He's playing some kind of narcissist game. This kind of rules. He's playing it so casual

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

He's playing some kind of narcissist game. This kind of rules. He's playing it so casual

He's got pretty sensible advice earlier, too, and I like how his job just seems depressing and deeply uncool.

However, he's going to gently caress with Sherlock, and Sherlock will be unable to solve the case, and he won't know why and think he's losing it. gaslit a.f.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Very happy, if not more than a little surprised, CBS opted to renew the show for another season. By no stretch of the imagination am I complaining. Now I won’t lose 2 of my favorite shows (this and The Americans) in the same year.

That was a fun reveal what Michael had in mind for Sherlock. The cat and mouse game should make for some compelling TV. Would it be a little too on the nose to call it a game of shadows?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Still catching up, but there's a very subtle piece of characterisation at the end of 6X02. When Sherlock is doing the jigsaw puzzle he's 95% done, but he still hasn't completed the frame. Normally that would be the first thing you'd do because it provides structure to the puzzle and the edge pieces are easy to find. While Sherlock is obviously not a jigsaw fan, he's too methodical not to do it. That he didn't is a sign of how disordered his cognition is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it should go without saying but if you love Johnny Lee Miller as much as i do, the sequel to Trainspotting is just as good, maybe better than the original

also this show is good too

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

What a pleasant surprise to see a renewal already.

Solid mystery with a clever solution. Really liking the hook for the ongoing plot though. This murderer is just such a plain existence.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Who else lolled irl at the great golf club mystery :o:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Who else lolled irl at the great golf club mystery :o:

I lost it at Buttons Gwinnett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI0hvm10AHo

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
This post concussion storyline is rubbish. His symptoms are now psychological and he should be seeing a neuropsychologist. Gabapentin isn't prescribed for headaches. My spouse who treats people for these conditions starts getting visibly upset whenever these scenes are on screen lol. We're glad it is still on though since I thought it would have been cancelled by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Testing himself against Sherlock. He wants to beat the best detective in the world.

Jedit posted:

Still catching up, but there's a very subtle piece of characterisation at the end of 6X02. When Sherlock is doing the jigsaw puzzle he's 95% done, but he still hasn't completed the frame. Normally that would be the first thing you'd do because it provides structure to the puzzle and the edge pieces are easy to find. While Sherlock is obviously not a jigsaw fan, he's too methodical not to do it. That he didn't is a sign of how disordered his cognition is.
Or that he wanted to challenge himself by doing it the most difficult way.