Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Who else lolled irl at the great golf club mystery :o:

That was a funny scene and I enjoyed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I guess Watson decided she wants a child after all. :shrug:

Did Reg E Cathey show up before as a fixer on Elementary? I can't remember if he did.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
A refreshingly normal episode this week. Kudos to Elementary for being in its sixth season and having a murder-of-the-week episode that isn't "check out this wacky, topical subculture!"

I'm less than pleased about Watson wanting to adopt, though. They couldn't even bother to have her stew over the decision for a few weeks? That was quite the fast life-changing decision.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did Reg E Cathey show up before as a fixer on Elementary? I can't remember if he did.
IMDB says he didn't. The dialogue in that scene definitely made it sound like this was their first meeting, anyway.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm less than pleased about Watson wanting to adopt, though.

Any writer on Elementary who thinks Watson having a kid is a good idea should be sentenced to repeatedly watch the last few seasons of Homeland to help decide if we really need child care subplots.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Watson could've at least tried babysitting some kids first to know if she wanted it before going whole hog and getting herself a kid.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mraagvpeine posted:

Watson could've at least tried babysitting some kids first to know if she wanted it before going whole hog and getting herself a kid.

It was referenced in the episode that living with Sherlock can be like dealing with a child: I'm holding out hope that Sherlock's health takes a nosedive causing Joan to reconsider the whole thing while she assumes (more) caretaker responsibilities.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
Watson adopts an 8 year old kid, and S7 is Sherlock and 'lil Watson solving mysteries.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The joke that Sherlock is like a child is plot crucial and she actually just adopts him

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's kind of a shame that it's so expensive to have animals on set any more that you know if you see a cat, it's important.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
On the bright side with the way the show has gone the writers will probably forget about that kid plotline and never mention it again, like in tonight's episode.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

On the bright side with the way the show has gone the writers will probably forget about that kid plotline and never mention it again, like in tonight's episode.

Yeah while I was on probation, I wanted to say, why worry about the adoption plotline? Literally 100% of Watson's plotlines are forgotten :haw:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't remember any animals on this show anyway. Other than the most important cast member. But he's been MIA for a while now anyway.

Seriously though... cats? I don't know what you're talking about anymore

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Revolutionary Way re-enactment episode, with the lady holding a cat?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't remember any animals on this show anyway. Other than the most important cast member. But he's been MIA for a while now anyway.

How can you forget the bees on the roof? Or, though they're long gone, Romulus and Remus the cockfighting chickens that were a blatant analogue for Sherlock and Lestrade? :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The bees on the roof go round and round

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pick posted:

It's kind of a shame that it's so expensive to have animals on set any more that you know if you see a cat, it's important.

This is funny considering tonight's episode had a cat casually walk across the scene in one shot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Black cat. dun dun DUNNNNN

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Sherlock has the worst fans.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This serial killer plotline is dumb and I feel like I have trouble not getting bored watching the episodes this season.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

This serial killer plotline is dumb and I feel like I have trouble not getting bored watching the episodes this season.

I'm waiting on the serial killer angle, but I thought this episode was really stellar insofar as the mystery. It managed to introduce a ton of moving parts and still make sense, plus be something that could be intuit... intuit... intuited from what we were learning. I mean, maybe not specifically, but the general idea of where to look and for what and why, and why on the given timeline.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm actually most interested in the SK plotline

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

HookShot posted:

I feel like the Michael plotline could be interesting depending on how next week's episode plays out. The preview (probably intentionally) was ambiguous about whether Sherlock knows Michael's the killer. If Sherlock does realize it's him but can't find the tiny detail that proves it like he does in every other episode, the cat-and-mouse game of trying to catch him would be a fun way to do a season-long plotline.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

As soon as they mentioned the missing finger I knew we would be in for an hour of mispronunciation. Go's accent was pretty legit, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also the diaper thing was a super funny reference to David Vitter.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Next episode, Morland returns.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm actually most interested in the SK plotline

Yeah, at first I was lukewarm but now I kind of love it. He's just so earnest which is terrifying.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The only reservation I have with Michael's story thread is that while it'd be functional enough for the original 13 episode run that was expected, it'd be a lot worse if it gets dragged out for the full season. I still expect it to be resolved by then, mind, but if not it'll probably long outlive its interesting beats.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah but I think he’ll be a 13 ep wonder anyway, the show did that in S3 —an effective split.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That puts us halfway which seems super fair.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nice fake on Hannah Gregson, too. It shows that Michael is really down to gently caress with law enforcement, just as we were wondering if he was dumb enough to go after a cop.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's nice to be able to sit down and watch an episode when it airs.

I feel like making that deal with the gang leader last season has really made Watson eager for ends justifying the means type actions. I feel like Sherlock was expecting more resistance too.

Anyway, good episode. Like I've said before, I've really come around on this Michael Serial Killer plot line. I like how seemingly earnest he is about Sherlock getting better and how infuriating he is. I also think they've set up a fairly reasonable way to keep this plot going on for the rest of the season.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The serial killer, this is probably the best use of the actor's 'soft spoken' manner I've seen so far. I remember him from Dexter and Limitless. He was good in those, too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What's the song playing at the end?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Accretionist posted:

The serial killer, this is probably the best use of the actor's 'soft spoken' manner I've seen so far. I remember him from Dexter and Limitless. He was good in those, too.

He was terrifying in his episode of Justified. First one in... either Season Three or Four. He's got a real Matthew McConaughey edge to him.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I actually think this season is the most engaging the show has been in years. I think taking a slightly more serialised approach would do the show the world of good.

One thing I didn't like though was the way they instantly latched on to suspecting Michael - It didn't feel earned, and we didn't really get to see the steps in reasoning that led them there. It would have been one thing if sherlock had gotten suspicious after that first talk with Michael, letting him know the girl was dead - I doubt anyone short of Moriarty could successfully bluff Sherlock - but the show played it as if he went into the conversation suspecting Michael and was testing him; and I wish we'd have been given the opportunity to see what led them down that path.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think a lot was just the statistical dimension. What are the odds?

I mean I say that in a world where Watson’s therapist and boyfriend were both murdered.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I was not expecting Michael to be outed so quickly after Hannah's friend died, but I was expecting Watson to be down with slipping him loving heroin on the sly way less. :stare:

Pick posted:

What's the song playing at the end?

Hallelujah by Reuben and The Dark.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This episode reminded me of something that I've wondered in any crime mystery series with multiple victims: whose pictures do they use for the victims, especially since those characters don't appear on-screen? Do they get them from online? the staff's families?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So I guess this is where the mid-season break would've been if we'd had the original order of 13 episodes.

The Lord Bude posted:

I actually think this season is the most engaging the show has been in years. I think taking a slightly more serialised approach would do the show the world of good.

One thing I didn't like though was the way they instantly latched on to suspecting Michael - It didn't feel earned, and we didn't really get to see the steps in reasoning that led them there. It would have been one thing if sherlock had gotten suspicious after that first talk with Michael, letting him know the girl was dead - I doubt anyone short of Moriarty could successfully bluff Sherlock - but the show played it as if he went into the conversation suspecting Michael and was testing him; and I wish we'd have been given the opportunity to see what led them down that path.
I think the fact that Polly Kenner was involved gave Sherlock enough reason to at least look at Michael a little more closely, and as you said, once Sherlock is actually paying attention he's not going to be fooled. Honestly, even if it was a little abrupt, I think I'd prefer this approach over drawing out the dawning realization over 30 minutes of episode. I'm also extremely glad Sherlock knows, because I was not looking forward to Sherlock's magic detective skills somehow being foiled by an even more magic antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I guess this is where the mid-season break would've been if we'd had the original order of 13 episodes.

I think the fact that Polly Kenner was involved gave Sherlock enough reason to at least look at Michael a little more closely, and as you said, once Sherlock is actually paying attention he's not going to be fooled. Honestly, even if it was a little abrupt, I think I'd prefer this approach over drawing out the dawning realization over 30 minutes of episode. I'm also extremely glad Sherlock knows, because I was not looking forward to Sherlock's magic detective skills somehow being foiled by an even more magic antagonist.

It's that. I think Sherlock being fooled when Michael comes to him about a missing friend, while Sherlock is not at his best thanks to PCS was fine.

I don't think Sherlock knew Michael killed Polly before going to see him, but Michael's reaction (or lack of reaction) was the giveaway. That's good as well, since Sherlock has seen lots of reactions from murderers and knows what to pay attention for.