Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Does anyone remember seeing something about how college adjusted yards per attempt compares to pro, big scatterplot with each point being a college player's final 1 or 2 year ay/a vs their pro number? Like, pretty sure the conclusion was virtually everybody is less efficient in the pros than in college (duh) and Josh Allen is virtually guaranteed to be trash, but I want to see the actual data again.

Edit: Here's what I was thinking of, and it's more interesting than I remembered: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/5/17046116/2018-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-josh-allen-sam-darnold-projections-hype

sourdough fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Has anyone said "Kerryon My Wayward Johnson," yet?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If Josh Allen succeeds, the Bills will have outsmarted basically all regular humans and the entirety of math itself

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

This is a great read.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
A league owner wants to have a barbecue at a park in a couple of weeks to let the owners get to know each other. I suggested that we have some sort of competition to determine the draft order. Games of HORSE, maybe some embarrassing sack races, something like that. Anyone else do something like this for draft order?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Silly Burrito posted:

A league owner wants to have a barbecue at a park in a couple of weeks to let the owners get to know each other. I suggested that we have some sort of competition to determine the draft order. Games of HORSE, maybe some embarrassing sack races, something like that. Anyone else do something like this for draft order?

We made a spinner that was a lot of fun. Depending on how athletic folks are a mini combine could be fun. On the opposite side of the spectrum do an eating contest.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I feel like some kind of event is a great idea. I'm going to propose something for one of my leagues. I feel like a decathalon of random stuff could be fun.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My favorite was making a representation of each owner in WWE 2K14 and then determining draft order with a royal rumble

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I want something less skill based and more drinking based.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

I appreciate you looking our for me being #1, but I don't think I'm in this league

Our 14 man auction league has a procedural penalty of 1 tequila shot. If you can't 100% handle your hard liquor, this inevitably leads to something as innocuous as "nominating an owned player" or "nominating a stud for such a low value that it pisses everyone off," becoming a downward spiral of 3+ procedural penalties in a row

Fond memories of someone forgetting to cross off nominated players, and having to just guess players to nominate, doing a shot each time, until they finally get one on the fifth attempt

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 4, 2018

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Sataere posted:

shot roulette if you play with high functioning alcoholics- 12 shots handed out, one is actually water, whoever gets it gets last pick. One lucky someone ends up with 1st overall and an extended stay on the bathroom floor

everyone doing a March Madness bracket is what we do in my longest running league- functionally random but it gives us all an excuse to get together for games and beers in March

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Veritek83 posted:

shot roulette if you play with high functioning alcoholics- 12 shots handed out, one is actually water, whoever gets it gets last pick. One lucky someone ends up with 1st overall and an extended stay on the bathroom floor

This requires more explanation, Frank Reynolds

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
so for a 12 team league, you pour 11 vodka shots, 1 shot of water, distribute them randomly to the owners, who then drink them. the owner who gets the water gets the 12th pick. Then you pour 10 vodka shots, 1 shot of water, randomly distribute and you've got your 11th team picking decided. Rinse, repeat, (vomit)

I don't actually recommend this, but you can probably tweak it so that there's less horrifying binge drinking

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Veritek83 posted:

everyone doing a March Madness bracket is what we do in my longest running league- functionally random but it gives us all an excuse to get together for games and beers in March

Holy gently caress, how does this not turn into a ten man draft, after the first and second picks die.

I dig your style.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Guys edward 40 hands isnt that complicated

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You can live after 12 shots.

I don't recommend it.

But you can live.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can live after 12 shots.

I don't recommend it.

But you can live.

Depends how quickly you take them in a row. Also, you definitely won't want to live after winning the first overall pick.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 4, 2018

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Sataere posted:

Holy gently caress, how does this not turn into a ten man draft, after the first and second picks die.

I dig your style.

it went poorly the one year we actually tried it- also I'm pretty sure that was 8 or 10 teams, which is way more reasonable

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
My dynasty league is drafting now on Sunday, is there any good rookie ranking available for a 2QB-league that I can use as a baseline?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

My dynasty league is drafting now on Sunday, is there any good rookie ranking available for a 2QB-league that I can use as a baseline?

Once I'm done with work, I'll have my initial dynasty rankings article up. I'll put the link in the thread tonight once it is done.

Also, it's way too early for dynasty drafts. Wait for the start of training camp. There is no real feel for players yet.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I have tried to get it later but everyone else in my league are pumped to have it as early as possible. There's a regular discussion at the yearly rule meeting to have our rookie draft before the actual NFL draft even which is just ridiculous

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
I'm in charge of the fun poo poo in my league and for the draft order we're having a pinewood derby. Definitely recommend it if you have enough time to make the cars (they're all going to be dicks).

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Bobby Cox posted:

I'm in charge of the fun poo poo in my league and for the draft order we're having a pinewood derby. Definitely recommend it if you have enough time to make the cars (they're all going to be dicks).

This sounds like a great idea.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I have tried to get it later but everyone else in my league are pumped to have it as early as possible. There's a regular discussion at the yearly rule meeting to have our rookie draft before the actual NFL draft even which is just ridiculous

While my league isn't that crazy, they really got upset when I asked if we wanted to do our rookie draft in a month, which is how we did it last year. They're convinced most if not all leagues do rookie drafts immediately after. We start Monday. I don't really mind, it's whatever to me.

I'd like to wait until training camp but that'd never fly.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Honestly, it probably does not make too much of a difference. Dynasty is all about long term projections, and once you see where somebody is drafted, you have 80% of what you need to know.

Has anyone ever considered making a league where you have to redraft every week? Would that even be feasible?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

Has anyone ever considered making a league where you have to redraft every week? Would that even be feasible?

I've consider it. I'm not sure how feasible it'd be, but I think it'd be really neat. I mean, realistically, you'd only have to do it as a starting lineup, or maybe starting lineup +1 or something if you want to accommodate drafting injury concerns.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Sataere posted:

Once I'm done with work, I'll have my initial dynasty rankings article up. I'll put the link in the thread tonight once it is done.

Also, it's way too early for dynasty drafts. Wait for the start of training camp. There is no real feel for players yet.

Most dynasty drafts kick off in May/early June.

FA auction needs to be in summer, but waiting that long for a rookie draft in dynasty is pointless.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I'm doing a few right now. How many teams? In mostly 12 but also a 10 team one, QBs have gone quite early in my experience. Barkley obviously 1.01, but the lack of a clear cut RB to go 1.02 has led to Mayfield or Darnold going there often (otherwise Guice), then the other within the next pick or two. Rosen a couple picks later. Lamar Jackson has surprised me in going early, like top 7 or 8 and definitely in the first everywhere. Josh Allen has been all over, from 6ish to like 15. But this of course also depends how QB needy the top teams are and historically how early your league has drafted them.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

He is in a 2 QB league, so I suspect most of the first round is going to be quarterbacks. I still think Barkley is 1.01, but it's not a slam dunk. You could definitely justify taking a quarterback number one.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
It's a 12-team league and I have picks 6 and 7. 1.01 will definitely be Barkley (going to a guy who owns Bell, Shady and Elliot already of course) but I am hoping for there being at least one of the non-Allen QBs available by my picks.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

It's a 12-team league and I have picks 6 and 7. 1.01 will definitely be Barkley (going to a guy who owns Bell, Shady and Elliot already of course) but I am hoping for there being at least one of the non-Allen QBs available by my picks.

How is he picking first with those guys?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Why not offer 1.06 & 1.07 for 1.01 so he can take a QB and a RB?

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

Sataere posted:

How is he picking first with those guys?

He traded Kirk Cousins for a 2017 1st and a 2018 first that turned into 1.01. Also I have tried to move up but everyone is so rookie horny that it's basically impossible once the draft order is set. It would cost around four first rounders or equivalent to move up to 1.01

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I spent almost all my dynasty rookie draft capital last year on QBs. I figured any given rook could be a bust so I didn't want to use one early pick on a guy who would wind up being worthless, especially since I was already really QB needy.

That's how I wound up with all three of Watson, Trubisky, and Kizer. I wanted Mahomes but someone else snagged him, and I considered Beathard but someone grabbed him too. I also picked up Alex Smith as a free agent for cheap, and it was really nice that he decided to go ham given what happened with Watson.

Kizer is still on my team (and still taxi squad eligible), I've got to make decisions about him and Trub soon probably, and Watson is on my IR but I'll have to move him back onto the roster, plus I have to decide if I want to keep Smith or not. I can't realistically keep hanging on to five QBs. But I feel like this approach really worked out, because I got Watson and there's no way I knew which of Watson/Trubisky/Kizer/Mahomes was going to wind up being my long-term star QB.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Every league will be super different, so tough to know, but I'd have a plan B. Did people bite early on Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson last year? I'd bet Mayfield and Darnold will probably go earlier than any of them. Of course, worst case is some great RBs drop to you if 3 or 4 QBs go early.

Alfalfa posted:

Why not offer 1.06 & 1.07 for 1.01 so he can take a QB and a RB?

Barkley is somehow hyped up even more than Zeke was. Like, Gurley+ for him, or maaaaybe Beckham straight up. It's crazy. I don't know if even something dumb like 1.02+1.03 gets it done in some leagues.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

He traded Kirk Cousins for a 2017 1st and a 2018 first that turned into 1.01. Also I have tried to move up but everyone is so rookie horny that it's basically impossible once the draft order is set. It would cost around four first rounders or equivalent to move up to 1.01

Then trade down for future picks if you can. Barkley, even though he absolutely is deserving of his number one pick, is seriously overrated. This year is like 2014 when it comes to dynasty depth, only it's the running backs that are so great.

If you find yourself in a position to get an extra first next year or an extra second this year just for moving down, do it.

Last year, I had three second round picks and I just got sad realizing that this year, I traded my second rounder for Will Fuller and a fourth. Looks like someone is going to be trying to trade back this year. :(

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

sourdough posted:

Every league will be super different, so tough to know, but I'd have a plan B. Did people bite early on Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson last year? I'd bet Mayfield and Darnold will probably go earlier than any of them. Of course, worst case is some great RBs drop to you if 3 or 4 QBs go early.

Barkley is somehow hyped up even more than Zeke was. Like, Gurley+ for him, or maaaaybe Beckham straight up. It's crazy. I don't know if even something dumb like 1.02+1.03 gets it done in some leagues.

I’d offer 1.06 & 1.07 for Zeke or Bell?

Couldn’t hurt and he might be open to it just drafting the greatest rookie RB in the history of the NFL.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Alfalfa posted:

Couldn’t hurt and he might be open to it just drafting the greatest rookie RB in the history of the NFL.

Now that's interesting. He can't start all of those guys, so you might be able to swing something.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Alfalfa posted:

I mean yeah, doesn't hurt to ask, but both those guys should cost more than that too. You're right that maybe it won't, though, especially after adding Barkley!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Salary caps may also come into play. Do your players have salaries, and if so, are they determined based on draft position?