Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dynasty rankings version 1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Anything besides draft position have Hurst ahead of/in same tier as Gesicki for you?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

sourdough posted:

Anything besides draft position have Hurst ahead of/in same tier as Gesicki for you?

I think all three tight ends are interchangeable, but I suspect by the start of training camp, Gesicki will be my number one tight end. The only edge Hurst has at the moment is draft position.

I don't really care for this year's tight end class though. I was much higher on any of the top five tight ends last year than I am any this year.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Just read an article saying to devalue David Johnson using statistical analysis based on team w-l record.

Truly a #blessed time we live in🙏

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sataere posted:

Has anyone ever considered making a league where you have to redraft every week? Would that even be feasible?

I've brought it up before but people are usually just snarky about it to me so I dropped it :shrug:

If you want to start one up though I'd love to try it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

Just read an article saying to devalue David Johnson using statistical analysis based on team w-l record.

Truly a #blessed time we live in🙏

Forward it to everyone.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

IcePhoenix posted:

I've brought it up before but people are usually just snarky about it to me so I dropped it :shrug:

Isn't there some sort of draft app where every week you pick five players or so and use those for the week? Thought I heard it on the Fantasy Footballers last season. That might be cool.

I also wouldn't mind trying a best ball (is that the right term for a league where you draft once and never do anything again as it chooses your best values) league. But hell, I'm in six leagues now and need to pull back.

But I won't.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Forward it to everyone.

https://twitter.com/DFF_Shane/status/992796488282632193

There's some other stuff in there about the line but a lot of it is W-L & SOS

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Silly Burrito posted:

Isn't there some sort of draft app where every week you pick five players or so and use those for the week? Thought I heard it on the Fantasy Footballers last season. That might be cool.

Sure but I want a league where nobody else can use my players. Because we drafted them. Like a normal league.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/DFF_Shane/status/992796488282632193

There's some other stuff in there about the line but a lot of it is W-L & SOS

This is pretty bad...

quote:

It’s certainly not egregious to think that DJ can catch lightning in a bottle and finish as the overall RB1 but on average I tend to think that he will finish right outside the first tier of the draft(RB5-6).

So you're drafting a player who's floor is the upper half of RB1 and who's ceiling is 2016... and you're saying I shouldn't draft him first overall?

Someone please give me the R^2 value of this chart.

quote:

McCoy has had several top 10 finishes as a play caller, granted those teams featured two future Hall of Famers in Phillip Rivers and Peyton Manning. McCoy has often been a proponent for a backfield committee, and he may not be as innovative when it comes to crafting a large volume of plays designed to get DJ the ball on plays that favor his skill set. In 2017 McCoy took over as the offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos and failed to stay employed through Thanksgiving. Similarly, this year McCoy will take over an offense void of talent outside David Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

I have no idea what he's saying here. He's a top 10 finisher, he loves a backfield, he sucked in Denver, he has two good players. So... expect what exactly?

Probably the best piece of information in the article; arguing that the line is lovely and injury prone and backing it up with real numbers.

quote:

The right chart above is a breakdown 2018 NFL strength of schedule from Sharp Football Analysis. If you are unfamiliar with this site or how SoS should be measured then be sure to check out this link for an explanation from Warren Sharp. Essentially, the rankings are based on current roster composition, the schedule itself, and current Vegas odds. Again, a common theme here is that Arizona is near the bottom of the pack.

Anyone arguing anything based on Strength of Schedule in May should be mocked.

quote:

At the end of the day, the charts and metrics above are more guides to show that Arizona has an uphill battle to finish with a winning record. For running backs, winning games leads to positive game scripts which correlate to added production consistently. David Johnson is one of, if not the most talented back in the league and his talent will allow him to mask some of the Cardinals shortfalls, to a degree. Ultimately fantasy owners should not expect the same 2016 production from Johnson as he is due for some slight regression. As mentioned before Johnson is more than capable of finishing as the RB1. But his other outcomes can vary significantly based off of team composition.

"Due for some slight regression" after he spent an entire season on IR.

Thank you for sharing that Spoeank.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 5, 2018

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
As a Cards fan, I can reiterate that the line will be absolute trash, barring some sort of unforeseen large jumps in individual ability and coaching. Beer covered most of the reasons why that article is ridiculous for a player that seems to be going at about #5 right now, but I think the most ridiculous is the game script argument. Putting aside the fact that no one knows for sure how good the Cardinals will be since the NFL is unpredictable, DJ basically plays like a receiver a large portion of the time anyway so he still gets yards and snaps in losses. In the two games in 2016 that Arizona lost by more than one score, DJ still put up 22.1 and 23.1 points in standard scoring (plus 8 and 3 receptions).

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

My favorite part was future hall of famer Philip Rivers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

opposable thumbs.db posted:

As a Cards fan, I can reiterate that the line will be absolute trash, barring some sort of unforeseen large jumps in individual ability and coaching. Beer covered most of the reasons why that article is ridiculous for a player that seems to be going at about #5 right now, but I think the most ridiculous is the game script argument. Putting aside the fact that no one knows for sure how good the Cardinals will be since the NFL is unpredictable, DJ basically plays like a receiver a large portion of the time anyway so he still gets yards and snaps in losses. In the two games in 2016 that Arizona lost by more than one score, DJ still put up 22.1 and 23.1 points in standard scoring (plus 8 and 3 receptions).

Exactly. The entire article ignores the fact that David Johnson is a major threat as a receiver, and "lovely game script" just means they'll throw more. He's an every-down back for a reason. I'd love to get him #5 overall (he went #1 in the slow draft) and then go WR heavy for the next few rounds.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Yeah I was looking at FantasyPros overall rankings. Really, I think I'd be very happy with any of the top 4 RBs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Football player may or may not be good" --football analysts

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

But, what if the new coach is Jeff Fisher 2.0?
But, what if the new coach is Sean McVay 2.0?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think the easiest thing to do in fantasy football is just trust talent. A couple years back, I remember arguing against drafting Antonio Brown first overall. My logic was nobody has been that dominant three years in a row. I'm dumb.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sataere posted:

I think the easiest thing to do in fantasy football is just trust talent. A couple years back, I remember arguing against drafting Antonio Brown first overall. My logic was nobody has been that dominant three years in a row. I'm dumb.

Sorta like how Julio Jones was a lock for top 3 WRs again last year, right? And OBJ? Or like how Adrian Peterson was a lock to be top 3 RB, even when he went to the Saints?

What I'm getting at is yes, trust talent, if the team is otherwise functional. But there are so many counterfactuals that it's totally reasonable to think that a top star player may regress in a given year for reasons x, y, and z. I dunno about that Browns call, but I'd say DJ is a big risk this year if you're taking him in the top five and I'd probably not do that in redraft.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd be willing to do this too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Sorta like how Julio Jones was a lock for top 3 WRs again last year, right? And OBJ? Or like how Adrian Peterson was a lock to be top 3 RB, even when he went to the Saints?

What I'm getting at is yes, trust talent, if the team is otherwise functional. But there are so many counterfactuals that it's totally reasonable to think that a top star player may regress in a given year for reasons x, y, and z. I dunno about that Browns call, but I'd say DJ is a big risk this year if you're taking him in the top five and I'd probably not do that in redraft.

Nah, iirc the logic he's saying was not that he thought Antonio Brown or the Steelers offense had changed or gotten worse in any way, it was literally just "no one has been WR1 three years in a row, so Brown can't be this year." Something kind of like mixing up whether you should bet the field against any one player being WR1 (of course) with whether a given player is most likely to be WR1. No one was arguing that a 30 whatever year old Adrian Peterson was going to be a top 3 RB.

But I think I agree with you somewhat in this case, I'd shy away from DJ as my #1 just for rust and supporting cast concerns, rather go Gurley or Zeke or Bell, but can't see dropping him less than that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

sourdough posted:

Nah, iirc the logic he's saying was not that he thought Antonio Brown or the Steelers offense had changed or gotten worse in any way, it was literally just "no one has been WR1 three years in a row, so Brown can't be this year." Something kind of like mixing up whether you should bet the field against any one player being WR1 (of course) with whether a given player is most likely to be WR1. No one was arguing that a 30 whatever year old Adrian Peterson was going to be a top 3 RB.

But I think I agree with you somewhat in this case, I'd shy away from DJ as my #1 just for rust and supporting cast concerns, rather go Gurley or Zeke or Bell, but can't see dropping him less than that.

This is exactly what I was saying.

Leperflesh posted:

I dislike all the counter examples you provided for the following reasons.

1) Julio had his offensive coordinator change, so there was a significant change that you didn't know how it would effect him. But even with all that, I am comfortable taking Julio as one of my first receivers this year.
2) ODB got hurt. You can't plan for injuries and before he got hurt, he was on pace for ending the year as a WR1. He also has not had a functional offense in New York and still been dominant when on the field.
3) In no universe did anyone think AD was a lock to be a top three RB. All you need to do is look at where he was drafted to see this. People hoped Sean Payton would somehow fix him, but he was always a mid-round lottery pick.

Talent finds a way. With AB84, his situation hadn't even changed and I was writing him off for bad reasons. David Johnson should be in the same conversation as Zeke, Bell and Gurley. I legitimately hope all you guys sleep on him, because I want all the DJ shares!

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Sataere posted:

. David Johnson should be in the same conversation as Zeke, Bell and Gurley. I legitimately hope all you guys sleep on him, because I want all the DJ shares!

2015 Bell and 2016 Gurley :smug:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Alfalfa posted:

2015 Bell and 2016 Gurley :smug:

This will be my default comeback in case I am wrong. :D

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Or like how Adrian Peterson was a lock to be top 3 RB, even when he went to the Saints?

Is this referencing an inside joke I missed out on?

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Had my rookie draft today in my 2qb league. Managed to get Rosen at 1.06 and traded away 1.07 and 2.12 for 2.03 and a 2019 1st.
The first round was
Barkley
Guice
Mayfield
Chubb
Penny
Rosen
Michel
Kerryon Johnson
Lamar Jackson
DJ Moore
Ronald Jones
Josh Allen

I also got an offer for Dez Bryant for my 3.08 pick which was too much possible upside for me to turn down. I feel like there's no chance that Dez doesn't get a shot with some team.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Edit nm

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Had my rookie draft today in my 2qb league. Managed to get Rosen at 1.06 and traded away 1.07 and 2.12 for 2.03 and a 2019 1st.
The first round was
Barkley
Guice
Mayfield
Chubb
Penny
Rosen
Michel
Kerryon Johnson
Lamar Jackson
DJ Moore
Ronald Jones
Josh Allen

I also got an offer for Dez Bryant for my 3.08 pick which was too much possible upside for me to turn down. I feel like there's no chance that Dez doesn't get a shot with some team.

I'm not sure I pass Michel where you took him. I really like him, but I get it.

I'm not sure I'd pass Bryant either for 3.08. You are basically trading lottery picks there. What are your top three choices for the second round?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Is this referencing an inside joke I missed out on?

I guess just random homers, lol.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leperflesh posted:

I guess just random homers, lol.

Good lord, I can't even imagine someone that homer-ish that they though AD was going to be that good on the saints :stare:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

IcePhoenix posted:

Good lord, I can't even imagine someone that homer-ish that they though AD was going to be that good on the saints :stare:

Especially once Kamara was drafted. When that happened, I feel everyone realized that the Saints didn't really love AD.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Sataere posted:

Especially once Kamara was drafted. When that happened, I feel everyone realized that the Saints didn't really love AD.

There was a huge discussion last year about whether AP or Ingram was the better play last year in the fifth round.

True brain geniuses knew it was Kamara.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

This gave me a good chuckle this morning when enjoying my cup of coffee

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/05/jerick-mckinnon-will-be-a-bust-fantasy-football/

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

This gave me a good chuckle this morning when enjoying my cup of coffee

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/05/jerick-mckinnon-will-be-a-bust-fantasy-football/

I saw that yesterday and I didn't want to post it for fear of ~homerism~

He cites Kyle Jusczcyk as a goal-line vulture. He had zero carries inside the five last year and one target inside the ten. Carlos Hyde had 16 goal-line carries, the second most in the league

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

That is a weirdly put together article. On the one hand, I agree with his overall point about McKinnon underachieving throughout his career. On the other hand, after reading that, I kinda feel like I'm wrong to have that opinion and now want to rate him higher. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The biggest error of that article is ignoring Shanahan and how he ran his running game in Atlanta. McKinnon's performance is going to be dependent more on how well Breida and I guess possibly Joe Williams perform. The idea that Shanahan is going to use Juszczyk as a goal line ball carrier is of course very silly. But if Shanahan views his RBs as McKinnon playing a Tevin Coleman type role while Breida plays a Davonta Freeman type role, then McKinnon is not going to get high volume and neither back will be worth an early round pick in fantasy. It could go the other way around, though, and we need to see what Joe Williams can do when healthy (I suspect it's "fumble a lot, not make an impact, maybe get traded or cut").

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 7, 2018

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Man I really want my Brieda taxi stash to pan out.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/rotoworld_fb/status/993580726623916032?s=21

Not a huge deal but still slightly hurts CMC

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/MatthewBerryTMR/status/993597419093884928

how many years in a row are we going to look at cja partial season production

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Do I need to add Carolina to my list of teams with undraftable RBs? Lists are always better with three, and I may need a replacement if the Giants are leaving the Lions and Jets behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
it's only been a few months but my body and mind are ready

that is until i lose my top 3 picks to injuries