Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Zauper posted:

That is a hot take. I think barkley will be overdrafted for his performance this year. Too many mouths to feed on that offense.

Zeke, if healthy, is a top 3 RB I think.

Too many mouths to feed? For the Giants? Without OBJ last year, the only offense they outproduced was the Browns. With Benjamin back, they now have 2 mouths to feed.

With Zeke I worry a bit about the lack of any real receiving answer for DAL. On the other hand, it's pretty widely acknowledged that Dez hasn't been good for a couple of years, so I wonder how much that'll really impact things. Hurns doesn't seem like the guy to open it all up, but he's been a 1000 yard receiver more recently than Bryant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

You're also forgetting Evan Engram who was and will continue to be a very integral part of that offense, and Sterling Shepard who Did Things in the few games he played last season. In the end it's really impossible to project out what the Giants offense is going to look like this year by using last year as a baseline because the entire coaching staff and a shitton of the roster has turned over. I see them playing out a little bit like the Saints offense traditionally does in that they have a stacked offensive roster filled with guys who all have the potential for a top 5 performance on any given week, but you'll never know which one is going to pop.

I guess it depends on what you call a mouth to feed. I mean, those guys exist and can catch balls (and can be worthwhile fantasy assets), but pretty clearly demonstrated last year that they're not the players that can be The Guy. The Giants let ~220 carries go this offseason and will give Barkley every chance in the world to be The Guy.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

Define "stacked" then? I mean, they don't have a superstar at every skill position but that is nearly impossible in the modern NFL. Assuming that Saquon is even half of what he is hyped up to be, the Giants will be rolling out an elite WR1, elite RB and good/maybe elite TE. That's as good or better than some of the best offenses in the league. I agree that Eli is past his prime, but he can still make plays when the pocket doesn't collapse within a second of snapping the ball and accordingly there have been a lot of moves to shore up the O-line this off-season.

I'm not saying they are locked and loaded to put up 40 points per game, but like I said, the Giants' roster is very analogous to what other high-powered offenses like the Saints, Falcons or Steelers have. I don't think there's any reason to doubt that the pieces are there to put up a lot of points, it's all about whether the players and coaching staff can gel and execute.

The big difference between the Giants and the Saints, Falcons and Steelers is that the Saints, Falcons and Steelers have quarterbacks. Eli put up his lowest yardage in a decade last year, and his second lowest TD total since his first year. They have more receiving pieces, but given Eli's trajectory, expecting an offense like the Jags last year seems pretty likely to me.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

RCarr posted:

Eli was fine the year before. Giants just had the worst O-line in the league last year. As well as losing their elite WR1. As well as having a non-existent running game. As well as having a terrible coach who lost his locker room.

I expect a big bounce back from Eli this year. He's not elite, but if you protect him, he will make the throws.

I mean, he was better in 2016, but it was still a drop off from his highs of 14 and 15. I guess you can hope it's a 2 year aberration and not a 37 year old QB starting to slide.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Bobby Cox posted:

I'm in charge of the fun poo poo in my league and for the draft order we're having a pinewood derby. Definitely recommend it if you have enough time to make the cars (they're all going to be dicks).

This sounds like a great idea.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

Has anyone ever considered making a league where you have to redraft every week? Would that even be feasible?

I've consider it. I'm not sure how feasible it'd be, but I think it'd be really neat. I mean, realistically, you'd only have to do it as a starting lineup, or maybe starting lineup +1 or something if you want to accommodate drafting injury concerns.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
My favorite right now is probably Gesicki, he's a combo of a high pick with opportunity. Hurst is another (but I secretly believe in the Baltimore TE Curse). Opportunity-wise, it's worth mentioning Schultz for the Cowboys maybe. I'm curious about Akins for the Texans. The Eagles traded up for Goedert, but Ertz seems locked up for awhile there. Conklin is the :siren:basketball player:siren:.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Don't expect this guy to get 400 touches. That's solid advice.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
At that price, and with that WR depth, I'd move Evans for Thompson and Lee.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
While not great, in a 2 QB league where you have no playable QBs, moving down 1 pick and swapping Kelce for Jameis makes sense. He can still get a good RB or WR at 1.02 or even go for Darnold or Rosen or whatever. Trading a 1.10 for JuJu+Howard mightn't be crazy. I think that's the bit I don't like.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Alfalfa posted:

Zauper and I are secretly going to dominate this 96 team dynasty were are co-owning though. Once he gets off that newborn daddy schedule we will kick the trades into overdrive.

Secretly, being a new dad gives you fantasy super powers. The season after each of my kids was born were my best seasons basically ever.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

Perine is garbage, but Cohen is my bae. That's a solid back up offer. I still like the first one more, because of Thompson AND Lee.

I like the first a lot more, as it's two playable guys. The second is like half a playable guy.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Zauper posted:

Pretty sure fat rob still has the lead on the 2 down back...backup job over perine.

I'm not at all sure that's settled.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I think I've got them ordered Collins, Mack, Johnson, Cohen. Collins and Mack (in that order, IMO) are the ones with the best chance to lock up the lion's share of that job. Johnson had a real good role last year, but with the addition of Hyde and Chubb (and maybe Landry eating up short targets) it's hard to tell how that all shakes out. To elaborate on my Cohen dislike from earlier, I think he's going to be unpredictably boom and bust. It's hard for me to envision a small dude like that having a huge role, but he can certainly be explosive.

Fundamentally, I agree though, whichever you pick will be wrong.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
No firsts next year hurts, but I feel like with those QBs, WRs, Elliot and Penny, you're well set up to competitive for a few years there.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not trying to be a homer here, but why shouldn't Alex Smith potentially have a Top 10 season this year?

I don't think he does it, but I feel like there's a lot of guys this year who have reasonable shots at a top 10 season, and Alex is certainly among them. Feel like QB is really pretty deep this year.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

I basically agree unless there's some rookie who fell who really shouldn't have.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I feel like I'd probably want to keep Collins at $2. Still he's like that dude's RB5, so maybe it doesn't hurt to ask. Of those 3 he'd be the one I want.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

It's slow in here, let's argue!

Our (me and my dad) auction values list is done. Call me out on any takes that fizzle more than sizzle, and let's fight about it

https://footballabsurdity.com/2018/07/05/2018-fantasy-football-auction-values/

DJ is a steal. McKinnon will disappoint at 36. I have Lenny 4nets above CMC. Henry and Lewis being 15 seems to just be a complete punt on valuing them. I think Penny and Sony both wind up higher than they are now.

Edelman seems low. Benjamin too. I'm not sure how to value Edelman, but even missing 4 games he'll likely outscore anyone in his immediate neighborhood pricewise.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Zauper posted:

I think paying over 30% -- nearly 35% -- of your budget for any player is an insane amount in any league. 12 players also feels 'small' for a 12 team league, and starter numbers matter.

That's pretty typical for the very top dudes though. I pulled up my 14 team auction from last year and Bell, DJ, and Brown went in the low 70s, and there were a handful more in the 60s. I went back for the last several years and even when we were a 12 teamer, it wasn't unusual to have several guys going in the 60s with one or two hitting the 70s. That's just the nature of the beast.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spermy Smurf posted:

Is your budget 200 too?

No, but I took price as a percentage of the total to get a value for a $200 auction.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Is there any chance this Bubba Franks data I've been working through is worth anything here?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So, I guess I'm keeping Chris Ivory this year...

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
It seems unlikely that Rodgers will suddenly decide to start throwing to his TE. Combined, the Packers TEs caught 30 balls last year. Neither one caught more than the WR4 or the top 2 pass catching RBs, one of whom didn't play half the season.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

It's ASJ and RSJ

My man!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spermy Smurf posted:

Austin Safari Jenkins, and Rasta Safari Jenkins?

Dude, if you're not already on the Ricky Seals-Jones train, there may not be room anymore.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
If one wanted to do variable PPR settings by position, what's a good set up?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
If you were in a superflex league and wanted to balance things a bit so QB, at least beyond the top dozen guys, wasn't always the immediate choice for flex, are there any reasonable adjustments you might make?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Frustrated posted:

My main league is discussing swapping to a super-flex this season and I'm looking for a bit of advice. When you have a superflex slot do you just replace your normal RB/WR/TE slot with a superflex? Do you add a superflex spot to the starting roster in addition adding an extra starter? Also, does anyone have an opinion on limiting rostered QBs to 2 or 3 to ensure the whole league has a shot at 2 or do you just let the market decide?

My league with a superflex replaced the RB/WR/TE flex (and added a WR/TE flex). We also capped rostered QBs at 3.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

he was TE12 you wanna fight about this because I will fight you about this

And it's EE at his draft price not EE over Gronk or Kelce or something.

Isn't he still competing with the guy who was TE 8 last year? That doesn't seem to bode well for Ebron.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Alfalfa posted:

Old HC, old OC, different QB.

The new regime is in love with Ebron and will play him like Ertz & Engram.

Doyle is a JAG who was productive last year because Brisket couldn't get the ball down the field so it was all dumps to Doyle.

He's just a guy who's outperformed Ebron 2 years in a row.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Yeah the annual Lev Bell gonna sit out bluster is just starting up again.

I don't feel like it can just be ignored. I went back to review my rankings and as a result of the news I've dropped Bell. He's moved to the third overall spot in the draft. Some may view this as an overreaction, but I think the uncertainty justifies the move.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So that post about dropping Bell to 3 was intended to be somewhat sarcastic because

Sataere posted:

Spots one through four at RB are interchangeable,

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So I'm in a superflex league and can keep six. It's a 12 team league and we play QB, OP, 2RB, 2WR, W/T Flex, TE. No PPR. There's a 3QB roster limit. Nothing else particularly unusual. Keepers don't cost anything, there's just rules regarding how long they can be kept. I finished 3rd last year (yay) but as a result am in a bad draft spot. Who do you keep?

Philip Rivers
Tyrod Taylor
Ryan Tannehill
Nick Foles
C.J. Anderson
Todd Gurley
Marlon Mack
Samaje Perine
Ty Montgomery
Doug Baldwin
Jarvis Landry
T.Y. Hilton
Robby Anderson
Keelan Cole
Evan Engram

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Alfalfa has it. there's a pretty clear line in talent at WRT and those superflex leagues you're pushing up the QBs

My biggest concerns are 1) Taylor not being a guy you can count on with Mayfield in the wings and 2) Hilton just being absolute rear end last year.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

If it's a keeper superflex league with standard scoring and people aren't idiots, all of the good QBs will be kept and the first round will be picking up the remainders, who are probably the high-risk guys and the really lovely guys. In this format you can't not keep a potentially useful QB.

Definitely agree. There are actually 5 or 6 useful (better than mine) QBs going back into the pool this year. Looking at things it might be possible to trade someone + 1.10 to move up to 1.4 or 1.5.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Mahomes was picked #10 and sat out last year. I don't know the statistics, but that's a recent example. Alex Smith outperformed, and that probably helped with the decision to keep him on the bench, but I think it was clearly the plan anyway.

Ah god I forgot Tannehill was already in play.

Hmmm. I guess a lot depends on how many QBs are draftable and what position you're in in the first round. I'd want to keep both Tanny and Tyrod on the roster unless I was basically guaranteed to get a QB with my first pick who was guaranteed to start games. Especially given tannehill is coming off an injury and a lost year.

I'm 10th. QBs available will be Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Newton, Luck, Cousins, and then a big drop off down to like Alex Smith and Joe Flacco. And of course, the rookies. It's pretty much the biggest haul of good QBs available since the league began. 6 of the teams in front of me are definitely looking for QBs. 2 of them could reasonably be. I've floated offers to the teams at 1.4 and 1.5, who both are not in dire need of a QB but could use receivers, to see about swapping first rounders.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I'm kind of stunned at someone deciding not to keep each of those veterans, though. Maybe some of your leaguemates are idiots?

There are hard limits as to how long guys can be kept. Each of those guys was at the end of their time limit. There are other guys that may get thrown back, 3rd QB type guys, but not many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
And here I thought this was going to be his year.