Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks, Beer!

Need just a few more for a slow draft. The only requirement is that you write a short blurb about your strategy going in, them analyze how it worked out after drafting is done.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854617

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Has anyone said "Kerryon My Wayward Johnson," yet?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My favorite was making a representation of each owner in WWE 2K14 and then determining draft order with a royal rumble

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

I want something less skill based and more drinking based.

I appreciate you looking our for me being #1, but I don't think I'm in this league

Our 14 man auction league has a procedural penalty of 1 tequila shot. If you can't 100% handle your hard liquor, this inevitably leads to something as innocuous as "nominating an owned player" or "nominating a stud for such a low value that it pisses everyone off," becoming a downward spiral of 3+ procedural penalties in a row

Fond memories of someone forgetting to cross off nominated players, and having to just guess players to nominate, doing a shot each time, until they finally get one on the fifth attempt

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 4, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Veritek83 posted:

shot roulette if you play with high functioning alcoholics- 12 shots handed out, one is actually water, whoever gets it gets last pick. One lucky someone ends up with 1st overall and an extended stay on the bathroom floor

This requires more explanation, Frank Reynolds

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Or like how Adrian Peterson was a lock to be top 3 RB, even when he went to the Saints?

Is this referencing an inside joke I missed out on?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
While I feel Chubb has the higher ceiling, consider that you may want someone starting NOW. That's Jones

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The worst feeling is spotting a new "trend" that all the analysts seem to have missed, and feeling super smug about ranking certain guys a lot higher or lower then convention... and then Matthew Berry starts spouting the same idea.

Makes my heart plummet from "feeling super clever," to "feeling like a basic bitch."

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

it's either that or my other idea where each winner gets to create a new rule for the league which stack year after year, so by the time you're five seasons in you have an insane league where NFC players are banned but everybody has to start 3 QBs, your tight end has to be white, and missed extra points are worth +10 points.

Did you ever try the Calvinball league on SA? IT's basically that but contained to a single season. I never did it, but it seems that the consensus was it's fun but being commish is brutally hard because you get tax code levels of rule interactions

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

VietCampo posted:

Anyone familiar with the Colts have any idea what Marlon Mack's upside is for the upcoming season?

He's like my only other keeper option at a 10th round cost. Might have to just go with 1/2 keepers if he's not worth it.

They shored up their line, got rid of Gore, and may have a top 3 QB coming back. Upside is mid-high RB2, as I see it.

Downside is if Mack just sucks/isn't fully recovered from shoulder surgery. Colts also drafted a couple of late backs, including a guy named Wilkins who has some buzz for a fifth rounder. Downside is Mack is worthless after week 2

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Someone had to drop out of our writers' slow mock.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854617&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
If anyone wants to take over the 11 spot and come discuss strategies and whether they will work this year, hit me up.
The team so far is Julio, Michael Thomas (drat this dude needs a nickname because I'm sick of typing his whole name), McKinnon, Guice, Cousins and Ertz

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Has anyone said Alcoholics Saquonymous, yet?

I can't even remember if I've said it

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

sourdough posted:

my man Jameis

Check out dat post + avatar combo!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

sourdough posted:

(balls getting batted)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not trying to be a homer here, but why shouldn't Alex Smith potentially have a Top 10 season this year?

Tougher than ever competition at QB1, Crowder and Doctson may not blossom, if Guice is t good their backfield is horrid, Cousins is a better qb and only averaged 8th with almost the same pieces and more years in the system

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Vietcampo, sorry late to the party: make a flea flicker league and if you are logged in as commissioner you can draft every team

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Do you know what my favorite song by the Prodigy was?

Smack My Nick Chubb

Alcoholics Saquonymous: The Definitive 2018 Rookie Fantasy Football Team Names Guide

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Is the Goon Fish Bowl going down again this season? Drunk Nerds organized, and it was a good time for all involved.

Went to bump last year’s thread but it slipped into archives.

If I can figure out a way to not do it on MFL, we'll do it

Going to launch a slow mock later this week, if you want in

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

How do I do this with the World Cup

Imagine cheering on futbol in order to cheer on football

Well you could take the top 12 ranked teams and put them in a hat. The only issue is that there could be ties(like two teams get eliminated in the quarterfinals), so you'd need contingencies for that

Probably the best way to maximize rooting investment and minimize ties is to put all 64 teams in a hat and each team picks 5. Then maybe they get 1 "win point" for each win before the round of 32 or whatever then the points double each round after that, sort of like march madness. After the world cup, draft order is whoever's 5 teams got the most total "win points"

Id love something like that, the only issue is :effort:

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 13, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

*stumbles into thread*

Hey guys sorry I'm late! Where's the Slow Draft and Fish Bowl??

TWO MONTHS AWAYYYY

I’ll make the fish bowl next week. Going to migrate it to flea flicker, as mfl sucks and charges me like $150

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
One more slot left in the next slow draft:

https://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/215539?invite=true

Tell me if you have a particular slot/area you want.

Also, you must write three goals for this draft. Try to make one of them funny. We're sharpening up our writing skills so we can OWN shitposting

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

What if my team name is Raise your Bortles and goal #1 and goal #3 conflict

Galaxy mind blown.

Okay I’m going to fire this one up, let’s this sassy-rear end discussion to the sloe draft thread

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

I will politely disagree; while it would be long, it’s already long as a snake. I run a 14-team auction league and the draft hums along. You don’t have all 14/20 people bidding on every player. The field quickly thins down to 2-4 serious bidders, and then to 2. After the big money players are gone it’s like any other draft.

Hard to do this online, but one thing that really sped up my large (14+) team auctions irl is having people sit around the table and go clockwise either bidding or passing. Once you pass, you're out. Stops that whole "going... going... <bid>" crap from happening several times per player.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

ESPN supports that. It does require the drafters actually clicking 'pass' (if they're not already autodrafting). People without the remaining budget to bid on a player are automatically out of the running, too.

That's right, that speeds things up.
The way my irl auction does it is we go player by player, "hey, you bidding or passing," and if you don't bid, you're out. "Going once... going twice..." really takes up a ton of time if you do it 3-5 times per player for 192 + players. Our first auction was 6 hours before we implemented it, then subsequent ones have always been about 4 hours.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

It owns that only two QBs have pulled it off, and the only one to do it B2B was Smokin' Jay

I don't understand what you mean by this? It looks like there are a lot of teams that have pulled it off, certainly the same journeyman QB wasn't responsible for all of them?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Can someone tell me the top Catholic fantasy player? Or at least a player who went to a catholic high school?

It's for an article series I'm writing where I face the most bigoted people of all time and whoever wins gets to rule the world.

Ferdinand and Isabella are on the clock, and they will only pick a Catholic

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 2, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

Rivers, Brady, Big Ben the Born Again?

Thanks! It's a 2qb league so those are really helpful.

Looks like Christian McCaffrey went to a catholic hs too

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

Rivers, Brady, Big Ben the Born Again?

I'm also worried about Ayn Rand's team. Originally she was supposed to only pick players who hadn't received scholarships (BOOTSTRAPS), but she picked Jordy and AB84 and i can't find another player. Suggestions on a way to loosen her restriction would be greatly appreciated.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

UFDA's maybe? Shittons of them.

I love this. It fits the bootstraps motif

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

Defense (and a couple kickers) for more than $1 have become the new market inefficiency in our auction draft, but obviously that's way different than a snake draft. I was way high on the Jags defense last season and got them for $1 with an early nomination while the Broncos went for $5 and the Cardinals went for $4.

While I am the staunchest advocate for "don't nominate a drat kicker early, that advice is ridiculous," my auction league has a tequila shot penalty for any procedural errors or ridiculous overbids (a penalty that often spirals out of control if you don't watch yourself.) So it has been a fun "strategy" to nominate kickers early for 1, then everyone waits with baited breath until some unassuming or drunk person bids $2 then we all jump up and down and chant "take a shot!"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

This would be EXACTLY the league where it's beneficial to nominate early.. for other positions you'll always have the chance to bid up, but if people hesitate to bid over $1, then you want the best $1 player.

Eh It’s a high money league where at least 10/14 owners have researched everything. It’s a lot easier to catch the few unrehearsed in a $1 overbid than it is to slip a sleeper out early in a crowd where at least 25% of the owners are also in love with that sleeper.

Also, best case scenario: you get the best $1 player, as you put it. Meh, I’d rather work the body by nominating buster tier 2rbs and then get a top 12rb for market value instead of 5%+ more than market value. Then I can spend that $5 savings outbidding people for my two favorite $1 players

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
One of my new auction tips is to observe if more people are nominating scrub buster WRs or rbs, then do the thing that the majority are doing, Nominating players at a specific position that are high value (that you hate) stacks: The more people doing it, the sooner peoples slots get filled and bank goes down, maximizing the value for the remaining people

Don’t discuss this strategy beforehand, obv, that’s collusion and is wrong. But just sit back and read the flow.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 3, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

89 posted:

So, in a 10 man league. Where's the drafting sweet spot?

We've got 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, etc. But we are ADDING a Flex. So, that'll make things interesting. Get the #3 spot (highest I can grab) and take David Johnson/Gurley and settle for a lesser RB (McCoy/Freeman) or WR (Devante Adams, Michael Thomas), or choose later in the draft and get 2 higher tier options (Melvin Gordon + Julio or whatever)?

For me it's always the # of players in my top tier. My top tier is those top 4 RBs and Antonio, so I'd pick 5th.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
It's slow in here, let's argue!

Our (me and my dad) auction values list is done. Call me out on any takes that fizzle more than sizzle, and let's fight about it

https://footballabsurdity.com/2018/07/05/2018-fantasy-football-auction-values/

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ben Nevis posted:

DJ is a steal.

Arizona's offensive line is scary bad. Also Arizona doesn't have a reliable deep ball guy. This short field should make it easy for defenses to box in DJ

Ben Nevis posted:

I have Lenny 4nets above CMC.

Fournette's foot/ankle just does not fully heal. He takes too many hard hits, too. He'll be great for 8 games then a constant 50/50 gametime coin flip as to whether he even plays.

CMC is literally the only RB/WR in Carolina who doesn't completely blow. He'll get 80 catches as the Panthers figure out they can't move the ball without swing passes

Ben Nevis posted:

Henry and Lewis being 15 seems to just be a complete punt on valuing them.

No, no, we're supposed to be disagreeing.

Ben Nevis posted:

I think Penny and Sony both wind up higher than they are now.

Seattle will be playing from behind a ton, and their o-line is butter. Sony has fumbling issues, and fumbling issues+New England RB + crowded backfield is a recipe for disaster.

Ben Nevis posted:

Edelman seems low. Benjamin too. I'm not sure how to value Edelman, but even missing 4 games he'll likely outscore anyone in his immediate neighborhood pricewise.

Edelman is tough for me because he doesn't score TDs. His season record is 6. Plus he's been losing the edge lately and NE's WRs are duller than they have been in years, plus Brady is 41.

Kelvin Benjamin is a horrible player on the worst team in football. I want to put him at zero, but he is a WR1

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Zauper posted:

what's the budget? How many players?

200, 12 players. I'm going to bold that line as it is in an unfortunate position.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Alfalfa posted:

Lol some of your takes are bad, but this is the worst.

CJ Anderson was a cap casualty and has plenty left in the tank. Funchess is a quality WR1 and DJ Moore is going to eat. CMC is going to regress due to the above and a healthy Olsen.

I forgot about Olsen. He’s good.

Your C.J. Anderson love really perplexes me, though. Would like to hear more about why he isn’t horrible

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What’s funny is I actually valued C.J. Anderson as TWICE that of the site averages I found. My dad and I looked at Anderson, looked at the AAC and some recommended values, and said, "these people are all dumb, lets double that estimate." I like him, and think he could be one of those metronome rbs that round out a winning fantasy auction.

Still not paying more than 3% of my budget for him though

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 8, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Eric... Ebron? Really? The guy with the freakish athletic talent but couldn't crack TE12 (he was 13 last year) with a decent QB?
Yeah, there's something wrong with Ebron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

Andrew Luck will lower from the heavens and lift Ebron to the promised land.

Not sure he can lift 200 pounds with one arm