Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

atomicthumbs posted:

i took some photos

dang that grain looks so choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

having some jams at the beach is good fun

first it was "i need to be able to interrupt you, in person, in order to do my job", now this? please gently caress off

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

tomorrow im going out on a boat with the engineering team to drink beres in the sun

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Rimjob Rodeo posted:

There are a lot of machine shops in Belize because of lack of access to parts. Most parts have to be shipped from the US through Mexico and take forever. The Mennonites have the auto industry on lock there, there is a community called Spanish Lookout that has a ton of machine/part/tire shops.

I miss Belize :(

that's awesome

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

tech is literally the only way i can eke out enough money to live in non-poverty on this dumb planet

i can't just leave it behind

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

technically i should never not be bumping this thread

serenity now!!!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I want to be outside but the next 9 months are going to be cold, dark, and rainy. please advise

esatan make the bonfire

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

does running on crushed gravel make a difference?

i was getting pretty good at running on a treadmill for a while but running on concrete sucks a lot

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

going camping this weekend but its been so long that i dont remember what im supposed to pack

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i spent 48 hours in a desert with no wifi or compute last week and it was very good

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I'm not a snow scientist but it seems like the lowlands would be the worst place to be during an avalanche warning wouldn't it?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i really like the idea of hiking out to a campsite but i pitched a (literal) tent about a quarter mile from everyone else a few camping trips ago and i was so anxious about being eaten by something that i couldnt relax and enjoy the solitude

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

somethings fucky about the latest li ziqi

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i've lived in texas almost my whole life and never seen anything like that

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Shaman Linavi posted:

walked through the forest to look at waterfalls and really wished i just stayed there

that reminds me of the hawaii parts of The Girl from Everywhere and makes me wanna read that book again

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

mossy rocks are such a good aesthetic

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

its almost like people fixate on the idea of camping if they want to but cant actually go camping due to life circumstances; what an incredibly hot take that definitely is worth posting every three days

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

yesterday i biked around a park for two hours without a care in the world and it was so great; i wasn't even trying to get anywhere, just bikin'

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

hikes where you can see the tent in the distance are so good. such a cool feeling to know exactly how far away that thing is cause you just walked the whole dang stretch

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it also does not even look like that good or interesting a dish considering the number of ingredients and level of effort? mushrooms was a good start, but then a second pot for some random ham and then it gets put on the whitest possible bread for some reason?

seriously! and adding a kraft single and pepper on top like it's some kind of rare delicacy

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

the latest li ziqi is pretty wild, y'all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqw4UFY16Wg

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lord funk posted:

liziqi videos rule

also i left academia behind and i'm wandering around / living in china now so if y'all have any questions just ask

how do actual chinese people feel about liziqi? i've read a little bit of stuff that suggest she is somehow propaganda or something but i went to school in america so i was taught next to nothing about china and have no idea if that criticism is remotely valid or even coming from a real person

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lord funk posted:

people here loooove to farm. i live in a huge city and any patch of dirt gets turned into a little patch of veggies.

:3:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i camped out in a desert last spring and it was really novel and fun to have to sleep through overnight lows in the 20s for a couple days only to have it warm right back up to ~40s-50s in the daytime

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

syntaxrigger posted:

I would be a lot closer to doing this if I was single. I think I low key expected to die young and alone.

i can't stop thinking about how much this crisis would have whipped rear end when i was in my 20s. this is probably the best time in history to be single and introverted

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

but there's a stimulus check and a moratorium on evictions, i could have survived for months on 1200 bucks and no rent

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

day ~60 of working at corporate and i still dont have any path to deploy a system--that customers are paying for--to a production environment

i want to be this man now and i think i almost have enough scratch to do it if i find some decent land somewhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qcsWajivnI

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

another day, another roadblock

or as I've been calling this one -- Roadblock: Part Ewe

:golfclap:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i just got back from the beach; would recommend

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

when i was a kid we took a train from austin to tucson and I have so many good memories. the observation car was the dopest poo poo i've ever seen and if we didn't spend 3457389 hours stopped in san antonio for no discernable reason i'd have probably become a lifelong train rider

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

echinopsis posted:

appreciate the sentiment but there is no way i'll be able to afford anything like this ever

I was hoping one day to spend 4k on an old toyota mr2 as a midlife crisis thing but looks like by the time i've paid off post-marriage debt combined with how poo poo I am with money it'll be able age 61 when I can consider upgrading my 2001 honda fit let alone spending money making my real life enjoyable

toyota mr2 is my dream midlife crisis car too but regular car reviews made me fear them a little bit because of that snap oversteer

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

friend of mine got a 1993 MR2 turbo a while ago take a look:

gotta say it looks like he is living his best life be and we’d all be fools to not have one.

hell yeah

although im mad they didn't include those sick side scoops in the pic

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

The Fool posted:

I want to buy a new camera

looking for a solid point and shoot to take biking/hiking

was looking at the olympus tg-6 but a couple reviews knocked it down a bit due to the sensor size

any recommendations?

i have a Pentax k50 and it is really great. plus the lenses are dirt cheap because they have been doing the same lens attachment type for like seventy years

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Spent 5 days out of town and not checking work emails.

Found out half my direct reports took that time to accept job offers and that my boss is ""retiring"" in 2 weeks.

Should have just stayed away

my boss left last month and my company is so huge and old that they have completely lost track of my team since we're all wfh, and the stakes have never been lower. it owns.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lord funk posted:

these are calliope hummingbirds, the smallest birds in north america

i got to see these on a trip out to idaho. they would come to the feeder on our hosts' porch

Omg the hardware I'd need to take a pic like that is probably worth more than my car. Such perfect clarity on the wings and so close 😭

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

fascinating!
i have a kinda long lens but the sensor would need to be open for too long to get that kinda definition on something so teensy, but i'm a scrub tier photographer so maybe i'm just not doing the right stuff

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

?????

you just need a fast shutter speed like 1/1000 or 1/500 to freeze the motion. low f-stop like 2.8 for the pretty background blur

hummingbirds are more like 1/2500 i think and with my lens at 1/2500 and a not-that-noisy ISO my pictures are so fucken dark that i am obliged to hide them from Anish Kapoor

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

wow that's incredible

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

turn on your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i just got back from Belize and their forests are wet as heck, getting rain during the dry season and everything, everything's fine!