Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i think about it every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I always associate hunting with the cabella's type outdoors crew; bringing tons of semi-portable versions of your home amenities and drinking a lot and not moving much

the closest thing to a tent used is a blind

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

do you live in wisconsin because yeah it's pretty much true in a lot of places. western hunting is way different.

in the sense that pretty much the entire central US is indistinguishable from one part to another, yes

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh im amazed the places people will take regular old strollers

wheel lines through mud

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
bringing a Bluetooth speaker on public lands should be a felony offense

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
van life:

I'm homeless but I'm rich so its cool; family members that I have a good relationship with let me use their home address for pesky things like drivers licenses and other daily bureaucracy

I clean up nice and socialize well so people are cool with me hanging out and mooching on their wifi all day while I edit photos and videos for my social media accounts that I make my income with through questionably ethical native advertising so I can call this employment

in 5 years when I decide to settle down i'll be an executive at one of these companies anyway, or just own my own, and living in a nice suburb

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"hey man, what's your instagram?"

"I''m....i'm actually homeless"

"oh..." *proceeds to call police for trespassing*

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i think the regional park near my neighborhood must have been marked on a "free" camping site or something; I've noticed vans out there in the evening from time to time lately

its kind of out of the way, not really patrolled, and the gates just on a timer so if you're in by the right time its all good I guess

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
some comedy for the outdoor thread in the computer funny subforum: its an especially amusing moment at like 3:30 am on the summit of haleakala to see a bunch of people in towels and their hotel blankets and no cold weather gear; like they went through the trouble of securing a permit but not enough to think about weather conditions; guy in shorts and socks/sandals with a towel wrapped around him really took the cake

also I about wanted to kick a person with thousands of dollars of photography equipment and no idea how to use it per usual into the crater after their continued insistence on ruining everyones night vision to take terrible blurry photos

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I miss watching condors over lunch up on high peaks in Pinnacles NP :(

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i see youve encountered the incarnation of satan known as the cholla

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

south dakota is super pretty but man there are a lot of anti abortion billboards along i-90

hey now

at the eastern end of the state those get slightly diluted by ads for the western end of the state -- the only part anybody cares about

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

went to badlands today and it was very pretty but the really important thing we saw was these guys:

thanks for bringing back the traumatic childhood memory of when we ran one over :argh:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also i've travelled a bit over 400 miles and a bit under 76k feet of elevation so far this year :thumbsup:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
That bush reminds me of some I had to scrape by on the dry side of Maui and discovered they were thorny as hell in the process

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its probably built entirely of parts you have to buy from defense contractors and thus un-maintainable?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
here I am browsing ultrasignup and everything is either too soon, exactly when I can't sign up, or I need to wait longer to see whats going to show up next year :argh:

lots of soloing it is

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ah, defense contractors indeed :getin:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what if we leave tech to support ourselves selling woo and posting instagram pics to help us market it?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehq469e29Wo&hd=1

what's with all these youtube channels that appear out of nowhere fully formed with a hundred videos

youtube is basically a bunch of semi-shadow networks of production studios now

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i need to figure out a good earthquake preparedness stove setup

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it's called a camp stove

well yeah I'm just trying to find one that I like that uses a fuel source I can stick in my emergency crate outside that doesn't care about sitting around for long periods of time in that situation

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah esbit was what I was leaning towards since some alcohol bricks seem like they would store nicely

i dont want a canister of fuel that will explode on a hot day :ohdear:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I want to be outside but the next 9 months are going to be cold, dark, and rainy. please advise

but those are the best possible conditions?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the cold rain matches my cold mood; very needs suiting

a cold rainy morning in the santa cruz mountains or similar is like my favorite thing ever

especially when the newts come out :3:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

soon enough :3:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

running destroys your knees especially if you're overweight, you will absolutely regret it by time you're 40, please don't run, walking and especially hiking long distances is good tho

fatcuses.txt

counterpoint: literally thousands of people

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
agreed; I miss riding to and from work on some of the MUPs around here this time of year

cool, dark in the evening, water in the creek, turkeys and deer

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well I spent plenty of time ruining my lungs this weekend enjoying our not-yet-ruined outdoors in the smoke of the carnage nearby :smith:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think someone in my neighborhood found the petite bourgeois way out -- they set up their ~wanderlust~ van and then left and rented their house out

exploiting the bay housing crisis and being a rent-seeker to support your insta-lifstyle :whatup:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the fact you can get stickers to put on the windows of your wanderlust chariot or ~sweet ride~ with your insta handle is a pretty good reification of the whole concept of these things

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don’t know hippies used to squat all over the place and build cabins around mt tam and poo poo

I think when they republicand up they put a stop to that though

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

yes it's the republicans that want to keep people from living on public land and making GBS threads in the creeks

fygm estate in marin 🏡

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

true, it's fine as long as you move occasionally (depends on the land, i think blm is every 2 weeks?)

the strat I saw one guy use is having two different tents and just alternating them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

congrats on the new job at google

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

i forgot just how big those vehicles are

whats fun about them is both how enormous they are while simultaneously tiny; like they went out of their way to waste space -- all that vehicle and like a 12" deep default storage area

its like GMs and having a 8" opening to trunk space; "you could fit a lot in that trunk if anything fit through the opening"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well yeah irs probably bumped the cost of brodozerization

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
from personal experience that will either end up being really awesome or sucking a lot

also one of my friends is moving to a mountain town and im hella jelly

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
sunset heart-hands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I guess big sur residents had a little protest about tourists wrecking the place and Joshua Tree has started closing campgrounds during the shutdown because of the huge mess