Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

exe cummings posted:

took the week off to ride fatbikes in the groomed trails in Cuyuna MN. flow in the snow!

I keep meaning to rent a fat bike in winter, how deep can the snow get and still be fun? How viable are they on ice?

We get a ton of standing snow where I live but its rural so while there's lots of trails its likely id have to be breaking trail a lot of the time

Got into XC Skiing this year which owns, think next year i might try and see if i can get my dogs to do dog racing, apparently its a thing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
cool cool next year ill grab a fat bike, mix it up

or a snowbike :negative:

I never could get into snowshoeing, its always like not that snowy so id rather post hole or I'd have to do like a 6+ mile approach to actually needing them or id rather just hop on skis. The couple times i rented them they seemed like to much work

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
watch out for the train police

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Fool posted:

what do you guys use for photos while hiking looking for something better than my phone, but more portable/lighter than my ancient dslr

im not a camera person but i did dabble with DSLRs etc and tbh having a phone with a good camera is probably your best bet. unless you are wanting some special shots (e.g. long exposure) or shots of animals, in which case you'll probably need a big ol lense and/or tripods and the works.

that said you can get special clips and harnesses that make it somewhat less annoying, i use something like this https://www.rei.com/product/132089/peak-design-capture-30-camera-clip though it still kind of pulls annoyingly at one side or another. i would probably try a vest or something with one of those chest mounts, its probably the most comfortable (tho i haven't actually used one)

something like this maybe? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1345430-REG/cotton_carrier_686grey_ccs_g3_camera_harness.html

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
what a unit

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
saw a golden eagle eating some carrion by the road the other day

birds big

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

post hole digger posted:

saw a hawk on my daily dog hike. i think its a coopers hawk but im bad at identifying birds. might be a red shouldered hawk

good dog

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

looks like a good bird to me

clearly a dog :confused:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

post hole digger posted:

saw a hawk on my daily dog hike. i think its a coopers hawk but im bad at identifying birds. might be a red shouldered hawk

how far away you think you were and what kind of lense for this shot? i keep meaning to invest in a good lense and try and get back into photography as there are a few hawks and bald eagles that fight and chill in my backyard and id like to be able to capture it adequately

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

post hole digger posted:

i took that picture with my iphone 15 pro from about 8-9 feet (ish) away. he was either eating or hunting down in some brush below the trail and flew up onto that branch when i walked past.

i posted it mostly because it blew my mind how good it turned out (it was zoomed in to about 8x zoom using the normal camera app, no halide or external lenses or whatever).

oh wow ya.

this is my problem with photography, modern ohones are so good and convenient, hauling a big rear end dslr around or whatever the new hotness is, is comparatively annoying

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

check out the YCIAPOS thread and micro four-thirds cameras. you can get a very small very good camera for not that much $$, but if you want cool bird pics you'll need a long lens. i'm in the same boat with really only wanting a camera for hiking/backpacking. short lens will be great for landscapes, but yeah you do run into the issue of needing multiple lenses and carrying all that/changing out gear sucks.

this is my tinycam
i got a big lens for birds though

here's a little Yardbird at ~30ft? with the 300mm lens

100% crop

so for birds you'd probably want longer than that and a tripod. yuck

hmm ok for big bald eagles in a 100 ft tree 50-75 yards away id need a telescope got it, pass

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
this is what my phone did a couple years ago, better than i thought but still not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

lol