Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's nice to know that at least some yosposters acknowledge that at a basic level what they do for a living is bad for them and slowly destroying their lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GameCube posted:

bad for everyone else, too

yes, but baby steps

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the goal is to retire

the goal is not to destroy your life in pursuit of a meaningless goal, all the while doing irreparable harm to society as a whole

but hey, at least you'll get to enjoy florida post-trump when you finally are able to retire

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dragon enthusiast posted:

what's the deal with tiny house lust

misattribution of depression to an excess of personal possessions rather than personal wealth/employment

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mailorder bees! posted:

computers were a mistake

mega agreedo

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
camping photos are neat and all, but there needs to be more people leaving tech behind in this thread

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"tech industry" works just fine

the goal of the tech industry is to create more tech to enable others to create tech to then sell back to you. no value is generated, only more tech in an endless cycle of parasitic profit-taking from actual productive industries

real jobs use tech to enable their actual purpose, the entire purpose of the tech industry is tech alone

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jony neuemonic posted:

stymie have you read the death of homo economicus? you'd probably like it.

i'll have to check it out, thank you for the recommendation

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please change title to "camping megathread" due to a lack of yosposters actually leaving tech behind tia

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i meant leaving tech as a job behind, dingus

feel free to play at your mountain man fantasies if you want

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
getting a pilot's license is basically on the same level as getting a motorcycle in terms of middle age depression hobbies, just requires more money

go volunteer at a food pantry instead

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please change thread title to "campin n' creeps megathread" tia

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

big scary monsters posted:

i'm thinking about rejoining tech

please don’t

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny 290 posted:

gettin the ford set up

congrats on the new job at google

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
basically lol if you’re old enough to have been alive during either clinton term

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
as i am a being of pure light and Correct Thought, i project my posts onto the internet directly

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sdoots posted:

sudden desire to get up from my desk and go up to a cabin somewhere. just sit on a dock and drink beer and look at a lake.

don't do anything meaningful, productive, etc. just sit on my rear end.

look at that fuckin' lake.

i have good news for you: if you work tech you don't do anything meaningful or productive right now

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Roosevelt posted:

ive been working to make educational web content fully accessible to blind/deaf/otherwise impaired individuals for the past year

last weekend i saw 5 bighorn sheep, about 30 bison, and a zillion elk. i also soaked in yellowstone hot springs. feels good man.

that's cool, you could actually teach them instead which would be far more useful

congrats on camping though

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the best method of teaching is in person and converting some videos is a poor substitute

if you want to do it as a side hobby in lieu of camping, more power to you, but it would still be better to be an actual teacher

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the answer is to then have more teachers, not fewer so you don't have to seek out videos since you didn't have access to good teachers

believe it or not, tech isn't the solution

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
cool cool, you could do that in between classes

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please change thread title to "camping gear thread" tia

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please change thread title to "yospos loves gear" tia

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i reiterate: mods please rename this thread "yospos loves gear" tia

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
once again mods please change thread title to "yospos loves gear" tia

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Methanar posted:

i dont want to talk to non computer touchers.

please consider sources other than yospos as a source of counseling since many yosposters struggle with substance addiction and lack positive outlets for their depression/anxiety, you would be better served by people with knowledge and training dealing with personal crises

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the previous is, unfortunately, a very good illustration of the poor coping skills yosposters have regarding depression/anxiety

even if you do only seek the input of others in the technology field, i would suggest somewhere other than yospos at the least

ideally you should seek counseling from a trained therapist, but hopefully you can at least engage in a more positive and life-affirming environment than yospos

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i hope this has been enough illustration as to why yospos is entirely too negative and not a good resource for improving mental health

please seek the advice of a medical professional

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i don't think it's unreasonable to warn someone who is clearly having significant difficulties away from a community who largely copes with similar issues with substance abuse and nihilism

also it's pretty mendacious to assert that trained counseling must necessarily require expense as there are many community groups that strive to provide care regardless of income

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
again, given that yospos has a large contingent of people who are substance abusers, have no intention to end said abuse, and actively deride any attempts to encourage ending their abuse i think it's not the optimal solution for someone who needs assistance

i understand that having a large community with shared interests is important and can help with personal issues, but when that community is largely very self-destructive and prone to approving of substance abuse then perhaps a third party that may not have as many direct connections would be a better alternative

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

extremely bad advice removed

please, please, please do not recommend self-medication to someone having recurrent and frequent negative thought patterns, this is extremely harmful and i cannot stress this enough

all the ha ha fun times aside, methanar, please seek out counseling from a physician or therapist or someone who is trained in the field and not from some random message board idiots (myself included and especially)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i don't care about pot beyond the fact that legal pot in the us is an extension of the exploitation of the for-profit prison industry

if you're not in the us, smoke up but if you're in the us it's a really lovely thing to do

and yes, the substance abuse is the rampant alcoholism in yospos which is definitely not restricted to just tori and echi

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spankmeister posted:

Stymies thing is treating any amount of alcohol use at all as substance abuse. He tries this every so often in the drinking threas, it's very transparent.

drinking alcohol isn't good, no, but not all alcohol consumption rises to the level of alcoholism

there are a significant number of alcoholics in yospos beyond the most visible and vocal of them

and once again regarding legal weed in the us: basically any time you would be inclined to buy weed from a us dispensary, instead send that money to the family of someone currently or previously incarcerated for drug-related offenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny 290 posted:

cool, sending sixty bucks to martin shkreli right now!

yes i imagine you would