Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i've done some hiking and camping but my first deer hunt last year was the most interesting.

all i did all day was slowly walk around the desert alone and look for deer. i wasn't going anywhere, and i didn't have any tasks to accomplish. i looked more thoroughly at my surroundings than i ever have. i climbed up and down hills. i did some reading around lunchtime because the deer wouldn't be moving much then anyway, but it felt very weird to sit out on a rock in the desert and try to read this book, so i went back and laid in the shade of my tent and took a nap, another thing i never do.

i really liked it and i'm looking forward to scouting for this year's hunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i'm going out this fall. very nice

(did you bag one?)

no luck. i put in for deer and elk this year but only drew an elk tag, up near los alamos in what's supposed to be a pretty good elk unit.

ADINSX posted:

My wife and I are taking the Washington Hunters course over the next few weeks. I don't really want to kill an animal but I want an excuse to walk around nature.

Maybe we'll try hunting turkeys? I hear its challenging but I don't care much for deer.

they are supposed to be pretty challenging, yes, but it should be fun. i highly recommend steven rinella's "the complete guide to hunting, butchering, and cooking wild game". volume 2 covers small game and fowl including turkey, but both volumes are great. https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Hunting-Butchering-Cooking/dp/0812987055

he also has a tv show (some episodes are on netflix, search "meateater") and a podcast. he puts forth a responsible and ethical form of hunting that i find very admirable and try to emulate.

lancemantis posted:

I always associate hunting with the cabella's type outdoors crew; bringing tons of semi-portable versions of your home amenities and drinking a lot and not moving much

the closest thing to a tent used is a blind

do you live in wisconsin because yeah it's pretty much true in a lot of places. western hunting is way different.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

President Beep posted:

as an avowed omnivore that is too much of a babby to kill his own food i really can’t look down at such a pass time.

trophy hunters on the other hand... :toughguy:

many states have laws against 'wanton waste' of wildlife. in such states, 'trophy hunters' would be wise to pack out their meat or be in deep poo poo when a fish & game checkpoint (yes, they exist) finds them driving home with a fresh skull & no meat. if you wish to make some sort of vague ethical distinction between a guy who wants meat vs. a guy who wants big antlers and meat, i don't know what to tell you

my elk tag is for antlerless elk, gently caress packing a big bull elk out even if i did find one

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

lancemantis posted:

bringing a Bluetooth speaker on public lands should be a felony offense

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

tempted to buy this van and wander into the wilds never to be seen again https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/2017-ram-promaster-camper/6612393267.html

for very limited values of 'wilds' since this giant 2wd low-clearance van on all-seasons will probably just about manage a carefully-maintained gravel road, and you paid $72k for it anyway

the wilds of KOA campgrounds

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Poniard posted:

i actually unironically was looking in to moving to iceland because gently caress where i live and how its very possible i'll be trapped in jobs adjacent to war crimes until i die

also bump

dating should work out for you pretty well since everyone there is basically just desperate to gently caress someone who's not related to them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

lancemantis posted:

i see youve encountered the incarnation of satan known as the cholla

come to the cholla in the next 8.2 minutes if you want an rear end pricking

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

i went to see my neighbor totoro at the Roxie in SF with an original subtitled 35mm print and came away wanting to live in a creaky old house in rural Japan with no internet

same but i haven't seen my neighbor totoro

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

that's why you want to let the wood burn down a little more

i'm the same way i've eaten my share of ashy fuckin hot dogs

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Triglav posted:

that camper guy seems chill

too bad the rest of his stuff is him murdering and cooking wild animals on video

only humans can be murdered

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i'm camping in the mountains this weekend and because i live in new mexico the air is actually pretty good, suck it PNWailures

if my sling gets here in time i'm gonna take my new old .22 and see if i can get a rabbit for dinner

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

im not sure i could camp out anywhere even one night without being killed by my own incompetence and sheltered...ness

in the summertime, most parts of the US you'd have a hard time actually dying. you could just lay down and sleep outside, you'd be fine except for the mosquito bites. you can go days without eating, just make sure you have some water with you.

that said it's really nice to have a tent and a sleeping bag and the ability to make hot food/drinks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

prepping for people who really don't want to call themselves preppers

this gun? no it's not for looters, it's for, uh, in case a rabid moose appears in downtown san jose. during an earthquake.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Coffee Jones posted:

leaving tech behind in small ways

instead of going home and three hours of vidya, I did an after-work walk, watching the sun set, podcasts audiobooks. Seattle is a nice town for walking.
You don’t need motivation to walk across a bridge: when you’re on, and you’re feeling too tired to continue, there’s nothing else you can do but go on ahead.

the japanese garden is a nice place

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i spent saturday night in a hammock at 9000 feet listening to coyotes howl and elk bugle. it was nice.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

please don't dox my sex noises

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

lancemantis posted:

I don’t know hippies used to squat all over the place and build cabins around mt tam and poo poo

I think when they republicand up they put a stop to that though

yes it's the republicans that want to keep people from living on public land and making GBS threads in the creeks

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

spankmeister posted:

It's a good thing the further out west you go the more federal land there is where states can't stop people from using the lands.

it's still not legal to build a cabin or squat indefinitely.

it is real cool out here tho.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i can live in a tent indefinitely that’s fine

true, it's fine as long as you move occasionally (depends on the land, i think blm is every 2 weeks?)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Well, I rise up every morning at a quarter to eight
Some woman who's my wife tells me not to be late
I kiss the kids goodbye, I can't remember their names
And week after week, it's always the same
And it's Ho, boys, can't you code it, and program it right
Nothing ever happens in the life of mine
I'm hauling up the data on the Xerox line
Then it's code in the data, give the keyboard a punch
Then cross-correlate and break for some lunch
Correlate, tabulate, process and screen
Program, printout, regress to the mean
Then it's home again, eat again, watch some tv
Make love to my woman at ten-fifty-three
I dream the same dream when I'm sleeping at night
I'm soaring over hills like an eagle in flight
Someday I'm gonna give up all the buttons and things
I'll punch that time clock till it can't ring
Burn up my necktie and set myself free
Cause no'one's gonna fold, bend or mutilate me.

fishermen, oil drillers, and computer touchers, stan rogers could speak for everyone

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i shaved today

it was pretty good, op

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

jonny, i forgot to tell you to go to tomasita's for dinner.

it took us 3 days to drive back to Albuquerque from washington thanks to the blizzard. seeing shiprock rising from the fog was p worthwhile though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ADINSX posted:

Did you travel back in time??

that was probably in new mexico so yes, pretty much.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

lancemantis posted:

Turns out you CAN clean something as wild as so much “trash” — in this case sea glass from being a former dumping site — just give the place a reputation and people will pick it clean

Imagine what’s happening to actually protected parks right now; oh wait I don’t have to: https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2019/01/joshua-tree-national-park-close-cleanup-repairs-vandalism-illegal-roads

Though kind of paired with that goes posts like this that kind of depress me sometimes as well

park rangers should all carry guns so they can immediately execute anyone who throws trash on the ground or vandalizes poo poo. nature, red in tooth and claw, baby

(i assumed that was a gun case, although it's actually much funnier if there's a saxophone in there)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

remember that girl a few years ago who was drawing lovely graffiti and "#creepytings" all over national parks and got arrested because she posted it on instagram

what an rear end in a top hat hick

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i seem to recall reading an article about how park rangers are frequently confronted by shitheads who seem to be itching for an excuse to gun someone down

lancemantis posted:

full-fledged rangers in some systems, like the California state parks system, are also the parks LEOs so you get some crossover with Blue Lives Matter stuff which is always a little depressing

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

syscall girl posted:

i want to pay off my student loans by teaching in a rural area

i already have an idea how much hell that would be

heck i'm in a rural area just a really white one

just want to be jon lovitz for a moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcjbS8_BfZU

i grew up in a small town. my high school class was about 60 students. i didn't realize until i got to high school and started going on band/sports trips that it was actually pretty drat well-funded, well-maintained, and safe. lots of fond memories after the fact, back then i just couldn't wait to get out.

there weren't that many teachers so basically everyone was guaranteed to have at least one class with a particular teacher, and we'd get the scoop from whoever had an older sibling. the teachers were pretty chill although one particular teacher and one particular student butted heads enough that the student took a poo poo on the hood of his truck.

school demographics were like 70% hispanic, 15% mormon, 15% generic whitey, iirc.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bump this thread every time you just want to leave tech behind and quote stymie

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

no, but there might be some crimes and a severed arm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlA536rPOI

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

motorcycle camping is real good too. somehow i have zero pictures from the trips i've made. you don't really even need saddlebags, you can just use one or two of those bungee cargo nets to hold everything down on the seat behind you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

how cold do hammocks get

if it's cold out at night, you want either a foam/air pad under you in the hammock, or you can get these quilts that hang outside the hammock to hold in heat. if you just throw a sleeping bag in, you'll compress the bag under you and your rear end will freeze.

if you can handle the annoyance of keeping that stupid foam pad under you, it'll be no colder than sleeping in a tent on the same pad.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

hammocks are convenience store burritos for hungry bears

carry bear spray, make it a spicy burrito.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

lancemantis posted:

the external frame backpacks I've seen lately are mostly targeted at backcountry hunting for strapping all your bags of game meat and other stuff to

lots of titanium and carbon frames with those too

i have one of these in coyote brown: https://westernhunter.net/gear-reviews/backpack-reviews-outdoorsmans-optics-pack/

it was like $300 on sale. it's a good pack though.

don't get the cabela's external frame hunting pack, it sucks despite the nice load shelf.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SO DEMANDING posted:

idk man german toilets seem pretty weird

:vince:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Share Bear posted:

not really outdoorsy but i am in hawaii right now and it is excellent

people walk slow though, ill probably never drop this habit

if you're on maui, i found paia to be a really pleasant little town. lived there for 3 months. there was a restaurant downtown called paia fish market with excellent mahi burgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

ditch the gf and gently caress the bears

buddy... they won't even let me gently caress the bears