Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i did that mostly for a week last month and camped in the desert and took photos. changed me somewhat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i'm going to destroy all computers

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i took some photos

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hmm i need to update my forum avatar

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

dang that grain looks so choice

"hurr lower your ISO or use slow film to take landscape photos" can gently caress off, i used only HP5 pushed to asa 1600

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Laslow posted:

that's easy to say when it's spring and it's the nicest it's gonna be outside all year. let me know if you feel the same way in january.

on my trip i camped in the back of my car in the sierras and when i woke up at sunrise it was 5 degrees out

it's nice

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

this is a bad post

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

more pictures from the desert; started to edit them into my last post and forgot and closed my browser

the color one is made from three B&W exposures taken through red, green, and blue filters

tricolor by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the desert satan

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

les stroud brings a harmonica on his adventures to keep boredom away

I was thinking of getting an ocarina

if you get tired you can play the bolero of fire to teleport home instantly

President Beep posted:

as an avowed omnivore that is too much of a babby to kill his own food i really can’t look down at such a pass time.

trophy hunters on the other hand... :toughguy:

you should only be allowed to hunt wolves and bears if you enter into the drawing pool for a tag lottery for being hunted as the most dangerous game

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

give me an old Strela-3 and a flight plan for a wolf hunting helicopter

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

you don't need a van

the last one is a dry wash. there is no road on the map from montezuma to silver peak but that didn't stop me

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

President Beep posted:

gently caress, that's cool. is that in a state park or something, or do you just pick some backroad and park?

all that was on BLM land in nevada

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

Boots are the best outdoor purchase I've made, I've got a few hundred mountain miles on a pair and they're still going strong

i bought a pair of Asolos in 2013 for a backpacking trip and ended up wearing them nearly every day since and the soles are nearly gone but they've held together and kept my ankles correct

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

I already miss the sound of the wind howling over the mountaintops

yes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i went to see my neighbor totoro at the Roxie in SF with an original subtitled 35mm print and came away wanting to live in a creaky old house in rural Japan with no internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

discovered that if i listen to the album i listened to a dozen times during my last desert trip while driving, i half-dissociate and my mind ends up stuck in nevada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFQixkcIcU

also, i was reading about Moebius

quote:

It was the experience of the Mexican desert, in particular its endless blue skies and unending flat plains, now seeing and experiencing for himself the vistas that had enthralled him so much when watching westerns on the silver screen only a few years earlier, which left an everlasting, "quelque chose qui m'a littéralement craqué l'âme",[15] enduring impression on him, easily recognizable in almost all of his later seminal works.

that's about right.