Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Silver Alicorn posted:

ff into the wilds

earth week got me thinking, it's completely possible to live without all this computer bull poo poo. i've heard the internet makes you stupid. I used to be really into hiking and camping but since becoming an adult I've slipped into some destructive patterns and forgotten my roots. I want to start making trips into the wilderness and really getting away from it all

all of it

fun fact: I spent 3 summers living for 6 consecutive months entirely in the woods, 20+ miles from a road/internet/cell phone/whatever.

it's the only time i havent been depressed. ama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jonny 290 posted:

did you do prep to have your IRL obligations sorted out so that you weren't stressing about them and such, or did you just say 'gently caress it'

i was 19, 20, and 21 and had no obligations so it was pretty easy to just say gently caress it.

sometimes i daydream about going back and doing it again. i think i could probably pull it off but i don't have kids and any real responsibilities.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i did trail work in yosemite for those curious. it's a really awesome gig. you set up a camp in a backcountry location and live there for the summer. food / mail gets packed in on mules. the work is extremely physically demanding but generally very rewarding. and living with a small crew of 16 people is a pretty cool experience.

additionally i was working with a program that took 18-25 year olds and put them on a trail crew for the summer. so you get a bunch of inner city kids + some college kids and they live together in the woods for 6 months and you teach them how to do trail work and how to get along. best thing i've ever done. way better than this stupid computer crap.

but i wanted to be intellectually stimulated :rolleyes:.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 29, 2018

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really cannot understate how much happier i was living outside, doing manual labor, and working closely with a small community of people (good and bad). it felt like i was inhabiting a different brain.

part of it was probably the constant exercise and relatively healthy diet. but i think a lot also had to do with the simplicity of that lifestyle: my entire life revolved around work and the people on my crew. it was very much a living in the moment thing.

here's a video from one of my crews (i'm the guy from my av):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z4AoB6VHm0

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Roosevelt posted:

apply sunscreen

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

this smoke fuckin sucks!!!

cheech and chong reboot looks lovely imo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Gazpacho posted:

bomp

Turns out the haze is from Idaho and not calif but who cares, seeing the Teton mountains was supposed to be my redemption for 8 months of bullshit at work but I might as well have looked at a painting of them. I’m never coming back to Yellowstone/Teton because you can’t see anything there unless you have 1) time 2) lots of money to blow on a room inside the parks and not have to drive in and out each day (see 1)

yeah i really don't enjoy the big parks, honestly. they're beautiful but full of people and really not a good place to have an enjoyable wilderness experience. there are places nearly as beautiful without the crowds. (yosemite tip: spend at most 2 days in yosemite, and then head to king's canyon).

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
strongly considering renting or buying a really cheap place out in the sticks and just doing whatever for a while

or maybe going back to work for the park service

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
will be camping in my apartment this week for 2-5 days, possibly more.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
saying hi from a timeline where i have realized that stymie is, and has always been, right.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think we're actually doing it. my girlfriend is going back to work for the conservation corps. i have been jobless for a while now (consumer debt number go up) and have no intention of taking another full time professional computer touching job, i will follow her and either go back to work for the ccc or the park service or figure out how to use my computer skills for things that are somewhat socially valuable.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
thanks despite the debt im the happiest ive ever been and feeling stable secure and confident for the first time. feeling really lucky i did all this outdoor work when i was younger.

hope you all find something that makes u happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Imo there's a lot of social value in accepting a large salary funded by techbub and then not doing anything productive. at least that's how I justify it to myself

i wont pretend that i'm doing anything special, i'm privileged to be able to leave tech behind and wander a