Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

ff into the wilds

earth week got me thinking, it's completely possible to live without all this computer bull poo poo. i've heard the internet makes you stupid. I used to be really into hiking and camping but since becoming an adult I've slipped into some destructive patterns and forgotten my roots. I want to start making trips into the wilderness and really getting away from it all

all of it

i would do this but my revolting nerd body is pathetically frail and would crumple into dust outside of a cushioned chair in a climate controlled building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i surveyed the parking lot at 4 am at the nearby target/king soopers/mcdonalds strip, and there were FOURTEEN vans, buses or motorhomes clearly being slept in.

this is in one of denver's few lakefront neighborhoods

the housing situation is loving untenable

oh half of them are beat to poo poo 87 bagos and the other half are 110k Sprinters

ugh christ this makes me want to start checking out some of the walmart and similar parking lots here. disaster tourism in my own backyard or something. :-/

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

President Beep posted:

i just check out ur post history

:supaburn:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

jonny i hear you, but what if i did?

you better airbrush a big fuckin' wizard on that sumbtich

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

loving BUMP

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lancemantis posted:

i need to figure out a good earthquake preparedness stove setup

just get a lighter and find a ruptured gas main, now you've got a stove for the whole neighborhood.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

DrPossum posted:

this is my brain's reaction to thinking about going to work tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5WRhoXge6A

Mm-hmm.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

oh god dammit

Yup.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

lol carnie. how are carnivals still even a thing

probably (definitely) by exploiting their labor to hell and back

one route i take to work i drive past a guy who must run a travelling carnival. whole yard full of rides, concession stands, and random trucks and RVs. mostly empty in the warmer weather, full during the winter.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

oh yeah count me in for sure. ill bring good dogs

they will be big dogs because dog goodness is usually positively correlated with size

get a newfie to pull the raft

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

bump.

thread's only 5th from the top so not much of a bump but the sentiment is still there believe me

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

i wish we had an actual fall this year instead of going from 85 degrees directly to 40 degrees in the daytime so I could have taken a week off to get in some quality hammock time with my kindle, leaving only as determined by the progress of the beer in/beer out cycle and my perceived risk of getting west nile virus based on mosquito density

dehumanize yourself and face to climate change. poo poo fuckin' sucks.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it's gross, op

*walks into party* (work w/me here)
*sees chalkboard with #instatags*
hii welcome 2 whatevervent the tag for this party is #somedumbshit like and subscribe!!!

what horrible garbage

i would upload and tag goatse

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

my ultimate vision is to ensure that no human has to touch a computer ever again

in the future, it will be computers touching humans. forever.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

qirex posted:

you can't really take your own sunset heart hands pictures without some sort of tripod or gimbal

uh hello, google glass ??

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Colonel J posted:

I really want to govplay outside but I spent 5/6ths of my life touching a computer. Its all I know how to do. its loving depressing.

hooray :smith::respek::smith:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

bump because the entire world is assholes

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

bag problem? maybe

I bet the container store has a bag to store those bags in

Pham Nuwen posted:

nice load shelf.

idk man german toilets seem pretty weird

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Share Bear posted:

thanks for the tip

this thread seems to be a more mountains/camping thing when i am definitely more for beaches/fishing kind of escape

:justpost:

this thread is for all forms of escape from tech bullshit (except drinking we have a separate thread for that)

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

do it all up 70s van-culture style

(more rad poo poo itt)

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

but upon my return i was accosted i say. all tellin me what to do :mad:

oh look its the canal carrying you'are poasting

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

has this guy come up in yospos before? idk probably but whatever it's good poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz9I2YwmV8M

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

thinking of getting a bike so my partner and I can ride around town like hipsters

go full hipster, get a tandem bike

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

get therapy

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i'm not being snarky either you seriously sound miserable

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=214

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i dream of someday buying a little tiny float plane and flying it up to any of the 100,000 tiny unspoiled lakes in northern quebec where no humans ever go and just existing in the real world

this is a random 40x40 mile chunk of land a few hours north of ottawa. infinite lakes, one road, no cities, no people

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

psiox posted:

Even then, it's not like you can really count on that lasting. The idea of long-term planning has been taken out back and shot by boomers. Not that it was much more than a fantasy for the privileged, anyway. Hooray.

Otherwise, I'd be really tempted to do the hairy mountain man thing, but I'd be worried about stranding myself in a situation that would be hard to get out of if (when?) things get Really Bad.

i'd do the hairy mountain man thing but i am a Tremendous Pussy who also doesnt know poo poo about gently caress

syntaxrigger posted:

This is a great picture. I am starting to understand the allure of bird watching. Between 9:30 and 10:30 my backyard becomes a disney princess movie but with grackels and rabbits.

birds are great, pimp your backyard with birdfeeders. suet in the colder months, hummingbird feeder comes out next month for us.

poo poo i should try hand feeding birds now

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

nah you just have to pay $200-$250 per day for a visa, depending on the season.

we went in September and it was $220/day for the visa and $180 a day for literally everything else.

how soon we forget the memes of old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xALZs5mxPdU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

and standard undeveloped country travel tips apply.

get vaccinated with whatever the cdc and who say you should to travel there

the locals are mostly vegetarian and you will mostly eat turnips and turnip greens. i think 95% of the food we ate involved steamed or boiled turnip greens. they do have chicken for the tourists at some places but it’s the most gristly bone filled chicken I have ever eaten, like floor sweepings from a chicken slaughterhouse in india.

the whole country has 800,000 people, the capital has 115,000 people. the largest contributor to their GDP is the electricity from a hydroelectric dam that they sell to india. india also built the dam. it’s really an agrarian subsistence farming economy. the GDP is roughly $3,000 USD per capita. tourism is the second largest contributor to their GDP.

all in, you’ll pay the about 90% amount you would pay on a trip to Paris with a 3-star hotel and modest daily food budget, but you are going to one of the poorest countries in the world so literally nowhere in the US is comparable in terms of remoteness or industrial development so be prepared to go with the flow and not contact anyone for most of the trip.

i was able to buy a local sim card in the city but it was in my tour guide’s name (you could not buy one as a foreigner when i was there) and some tour guides don’t want to have a bunch of sims in their name, so i didn’t ask but he offered so i got one, hopefully he made some good money marking it up to sell to me 🤷🏼‍♂️

that said, the country is basically untouched Himalayan mountains with some tiered subsistence farms, and rivers full of clear snowmelt. you feel like you are traveling back in time a thousand years. it’s completely worth it.

i have the names of the tour company we used pm me if you want it, i never felt anything other than safe in the time we were there, the govt required local guide and driver really nice and very knowledgeable, it’s one of my top 2 amazing trips along with the antarctic peninsula and i have been at least once to 6 of the 7 continents

some day I will finally catch em all and go to the marsupial island, but not this year.

ok cool now tell us about the dicks https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945787