Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

jony neuemonic posted:

touching computers is rotting my brain out of my skull but nothing else i can do pays enough to survive in this capitalist hellworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

tempted to buy this van and wander into the wilds never to be seen again https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/2017-ram-promaster-camper/6612393267.html

I want a campervan but just for camping. #vanlife is for trust fund kids on vacation and hobos

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

atomicthumbs posted:

you don't need a van

the last one is a dry wash. there is no road on the map from montezuma to silver peak but that didn't stop me

I want one for pure luxury and convienience. I've already got some perfectly serviceable backpacking gear.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Go on vacations to more remote places. I'm taking a few days off to go wander in the mountains

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bump

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah I think I'm gonna get some proper hiking boots for my next desert run, my old trainers don't cut it

a while ago I was out that way wearing sandals, brushed a stray jumping cactus against my bare foot 🙅‍♀️

Boots are the best outdoor purchase I've made, I've got a few hundred mountain miles on a pair and they're still going strong

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

backpack with water bladder is close 2nd best purchase

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Usually I have to get the flu to see that kind of results.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Janitor Prime posted:

I'm too much of a pussy and a fatass to really camp and trek in the woods, but I've spent the last 4 weekends exploring all the different islands and beaches in Washington and it's had a really positive impact on my life :unsmith:

Explore the mountains now

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

always put salsa on your balls

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this smoke is extremely not cool

Yeah it's real bad

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah

look at this garbage

ruining all my fun outdoor plans :argh:

everything has a dusting of ash and my eyes are always burning :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

There's some boat in only campsites in puget sound that I think you can kayak to.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Stymie posted:

mods please change title to "camping megathread" due to a lack of yosposters actually leaving tech behind tia

this is the thread about wanting to leave tech, actually doing it is a bonus

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

camping trip was nice. hiked about 18 miles and slept on the beach. saw lots of adorable deer and baby raccoons :kimchi:

only issue was rando fucks with boats/massive yachts mooring and coming to my beach to just scream for the daylight hours. i had to hike inland to get away from them

there are kayak-only spots all over the sound which is cool.

really want one now, but i have no way to transport it without spending a grand on roof rack

island 10/10
tech fucks with boats: guillotine

same, i want one badly. i read this story about going to alaska from annacortes in a packable one w a sail and ive wanted one ever since:

http://www.rayjardine.com/adventures/1988-Sea-Tub/index.htm?g_page=1

unfortunately i think the company that made those went out of business. the only packable ones i see lately are the foldable ones

they're apparently servacable enough but their packability leaves a little to be desired

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/aug/06/med-student-paddles-the-inside-passage-in-an-origa/

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i love em too, i used one i made out of a beercan for a while (http://zenstoves.net/) before i upgraded to a folding model because i wanted better wind blockage.

burns pretty much any liquid fuel (its got a knockoff trangia burner) or also wood and maybe charcoal if you wanted

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I want to be outside but the next 9 months are going to be cold, dark, and rainy. please advise

go outside anyway, no one else will be out

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I like rain camping, the woods are real peaceful with a light drizzle going on and no one else is ever around. I did some winter camping in the San Juan islands and it was awesome.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I did a long walk to the arboretum and back downtown a few weeks ago and it was great.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEPKdbZu3K8

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Still want to even though it's getting colder out

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Carnie is a good stand in for hobo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Janitor Prime posted:

I did it. I quit my tech job in Seattle and am moving back home to Mexico. close enough

Godspeed goon. Can I have your old job

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm gonna go on a hike tomorrow somewhere

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've had plenty of terrible teachers that did a worse job than YouTube at explaining concepts to me so I'm not sure I buy it either

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im gonna walk in the woods tomorrow

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a deep urge to get up from my desk and walk straight to the mountains, never to return

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hammocks are really good and I take mine on every hike I do so I can take a nap in the woods if I want.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a "3" person backpacking tent that my GF and I split. it's roomy enough for us to be very comfortable but not unpleasant to hoof it up a mountain. I think it's a marmot brand, it was like $100 at REI and has held up pretty well except a big rear end beetle got packed away into it once and it chewed a hole in the door mesh

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

they make little tick remover spoons that work really well if this becomes a recurrent problem for you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i haven't seen a new external frame backpack in a very long time, I'm sure someone out there is making them though

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i also love bags. I have a great backpack that fully opens like luggage that is really great for traveling. i want a new backpacking pack though, the one I have is from Costco and doesn't fit that great

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i went on a hike today and found $5 on the trail. the outdoors are very rewarding.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i went camping this past weekend and my girlfriend and I were the only ones at the whole campground. It was good

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i ordered an inflatable kayak so I can hike it up to alpine lakes and up rivers to splash around

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've never used an inflatable one before, but plenty of regular ones. I got the 2 person one that's like $70 on Amazon. It's got plenty of good reviews though and it's for my GF and I, who aren't very large people. There's YouTube's of lots of people taking them on rapids

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The goal is to cram it into an old backpacking backpack so we can get to otherwise inaccessible bodies of water

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

yeah, i just don't have rails, and i'm turning in this car next year so i don't want to buy em yet

looking at this folding kayak and i'm hemming between buying that this year, and just waiting until next summer when i (presumably) buy a reliable car instead of leasing

My inflatable was $70. At that price you could use it once and it would be worth it vs renting even if you hate it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bumppp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's awesome, I bought an old military surplus duffel bag to store it in that has backpack straps so I can more easily hike it up to inaccessible lakes