Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
This game is so.. strange, and not for the usual reasons. It feels like its a jumbled mess of ideas and concepts that don't quite work off of each other. Though the thing that really strikes me as strangest though is simply the naming scheme they've used for enemies. Spoons? Pandas? Theres not even any rhyme or reason for it all, and feels more like a place holder name than something that should have been finalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Fiendly posted:

I just read this postmortem on the 2010 Splatterhouse remake and it gets into the way that game's original management team kept pushing for weird, incongruous enemy and gameplay designs to be worked into the game, which Namco had to shoot down and eventually fire those managers. NeverDead reeks of having similar issues that just went unchecked for the entire development process.

Yeah I'm definitely getting similar vibes. The game feels like it was pulled in multiple different directions and what we got was just whatever they could salvage and slap together. As I said before, the names reek of placeholders, but were kept in due to lack of time or effort.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Good lord this game was a mess of design choices. I feel like the game would have been more salvageable if the player roles were reversed, with Bryce being relegated to the sidekick and Arcadia as the main character. At least that way they could have death states being more than just granbabies, and you wouldn't fall to pieces with every friggin attack. Though I say this mostly because it seems like they were completely and utterly incapable of making the initial concept work. Something like Stubbs the Zombie handled being able to dismember your character for puzzles better.

Also, while it does have potential, its pretty much a game of nothing but wasted potential.

• Locked thread