Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I remember hearing about this once from Zero Punctuation and then never again. And yeah, our companion is lame as gently caress.

Oh well, will be following this weirdness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wow, that death was... uh, sudden.

This really strikes me as a game that, if you want to play with immortality, should consider alternate means of losing the game. Time limits, for example. Kill demons fast before a hole to Hell opens up or whatever. Granted, that would still result in frustrating play where your head keeps popping off seemingly at random and then you're just flailing about to get your limbs back together.

I think the core design might just be flawed.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

In order,
Yup.
They do but it won't make you game over, just make you fall apart completely.
Yup, and they constantly respawn.

Oh come, the could have at least made the bosses have their own kill moves. It could have made for some dynamic fights if you gently caress up.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I don't know, that seems like standard action game stuff. One dude, the person he chats with, and half a million things to kill.

Speaking about the spawner puzzle thing, if this was a bit more platinum-esque, a fun way to handle them would have been to require doing a sufficient string of combos. Except that doesn't really work if you're getting mobbed by enemies being spawned anyway. The spawners really seem like a bad idea.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Okay, got to admit, explosive limbs is a really cool idea and a pretty unique idea for this game. That said, it feels like it would feel and play a lot better if it exploded on contact with an enemy. That little bit of waiting as you watch your arm lay on the ground before it explodes annihilates any pace the action had. Really feels like something Bryce should have had since the start instead of guns.

Also digging whatever is going on with the panda bear's arm design.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, that works too. Still, it feels a bit flaccid and I can only assume that's due to how slow Bryce tosses his arm around.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Arcadia takes being run over by a train remarkably well.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I get that they're trying to show that Bryce is a depressed guy but he and everyone else around him are such assholes that it comes off as more cartoony edginess rather than actual depression. Like written by teenagers.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I was just wondering when that vampire was coming back.

Anyway, RIP Sangria. You were weird.

Super memorable yet a complete tonal clash with the rest of the game.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It might be a filler level but I think it looks a hell of a lot better than any of the previous levels. Might just be because it feels a lot more open due to the massive gaping lava pit.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Man, everything in this game is so poorly paced or lacks the proper fanfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

They really try to make a major withdraw on the emotions bank that they never put a real deposit into. Bryce has been nothing but a snarky rear end in a top hat and yet suddenly gets incredibly uplifting in the last few minutes of the game, Nikki and him suddenly caring about each other at all was annoying too.

The final boss was about as uncharismatic as it gets too. At least Sangria was memorable if... totally inconsequential. I wish he had been the final boss instead.

Man, this game is just aggressively mediocre from every angle.

• Locked thread