Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Thread up on time? Well I never!

Today, the courts will decide whether Cardinal George Pell will face trial for his alleged laundry list of sex crimes.

It’s May, which means a flurry of state budgets, plus the FEDERAL BUDGET which is set to be good for the middle class and businesses but really poo poo for probably everyone else.

There’s also the Melbourne Lord Mayoral election which could possibly potentially result in a Greens Lord Mayor!

I’m sure other poo poo will happen, the world is hosed and we’re all going to die.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Don't forget the ongoing Banking Royal Commission, which is doing a great job and claiming heads of neoliberal fuckos left and right :getin:

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

all hail the new thread, fat as the old thread

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
phattttt

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Don't forget the ongoing Banking Royal Commission, which is doing a great job and claiming heads of neoliberal fuckos left and right :getin:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Let's do politics, it's allowed now that the BCA is doing it.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We were about to solve the obesity epidemic in the old thread, oh well...

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Sugar tax is good.
Fatshaming is good.
Fat people aren't really people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

thatfatkid posted:

*poofs out of existence*

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thatfatkid posted:

New statistics show that 0% of "people" are overweight, we did it!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I mean it's right there in the phrase 'fat people'

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
5 mins till Pell decision :getin:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

5 mins till Pell decision :getin:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2018/may/01/cardinal-george-pell-committal-trial-historical-sexual-offence-charges-live Obligatory Guardian live blog

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

bell jar posted:

I can definitely get on board with cheaper healthy produce, i could get on board with govt regulations ensuring that fast food serves don't exceed a given caloric amount. i could definitely get on board with ensuring that companies don't misrepresent their serving sizes on nutritional labels, and make them list the nutritional content of the entire packet, etc

They already do dumb stuff to get around this. Look at any large chocolate bar and there is always "share" or "family" or other thing that is basically telling you it's not meant to be eaten by one person. That way you get to market it as two or three serves and anyone who actually bothers to look at the nutritional information has to also notice how many serves they are eating. Chunky Kit Kats are the worst offender I've noticed, as it's actually three servings.

ewe2 posted:

I mean it's getting ridiculous, there's so much sugar in homebrand minced garlic that I'm not sure what they're going for, it's certainly not about garlic.

My bottle has 4g per 100g, which doesn't seem excessive?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

yeah, read a pack of tim tams and the serving size is one tim tam--heck, even some of the smaller 25-30g choco bars say 2 serves (I think kit kat chunkys are 3?)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Oh god the De Rucci sign

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

If it's not fit for purpose then it absolutely is, but if you're buying something that is broken and it has been explained many times clearly that it is broken and you still buy it then I doubt that you're entitled to a refund under consumer law.
As a consumer there are rights you can not waive despite a vendor's desperate attempts to have you sign them away:

https://cdn.tspace.gov.au/uploads/sites/60/2016/05/0553FT_ACL-guides_Guarantees_web.pdf posted:

Acceptable quality

Suppliers and manufacturers guarantee that goods are of acceptable quality when sold to a consumer (other than goods sold by way of auction).

Test for acceptable quality

Goods are of acceptable quality when a reasonable consumer, fully aware of the goods’ condition (including any defects) would find them:

• fit for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly supplied—for example, a toaster must be able to toast bread
• acceptable in appearance and finish—for example, a new toaster should be free from scratches
• free from defects—for example, the toaster’s timer knob should not fall off when used soon after it was purchased
• safe—for example, sparks should not fly out of the toaster
• durable—for example, the toaster must function for a reasonable time after purchase, without breaking down.

This test takes into account:
• the nature of the goods—for example, a major appliance such as a fridge is expected to last longer than a toaster
• the price paid—for example, a cheap toaster is not expected to last as long as a top-of-the range one
• any statements about the goods on any packaging or label on the goods—for example, the toaster box shows a special defroster function
• any representations made about the goods by the manufacturer or supplier—for example, the supplier said the crumb tray was easy to detach and clean
• any other relevant circumstances relating to supply of the goods.

Mentioned above but there is a specific OTHER guide that pertains entirely to safety of goods sold:

https://cdn.tspace.gov.au/uploads/sites/60/2016/05/0553FT_ACL-guides_PSafety_web.pdf

Anidav posted:

Barnaby Joyce rubs a magic lamp.

What comes out?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/abcmelbourne/status/991111820004941825

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Fat office workers ITT talking about losing weight by taxing chocolate bars instead of going outside for a walk lol

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Zenithe posted:

They already do dumb stuff to get around this. Look at any large chocolate bar and there is always "share" or "family" or other thing that is basically telling you it's not meant to be eaten by one person. That way you get to market it as two or three serves and anyone who actually bothers to look at the nutritional information has to also notice how many serves they are eating. Chunky Kit Kats are the worst offender I've noticed, as it's actually three servings.

A while back I took part in some market research on mandatory labelling which never got anywhere but the ideas were really very good. Most of us were tired of that kind of game on labels and wanted actual ingredients listed at actual quantities and actual locations of manufacture (another wizard wheeze to avoid listing ingredients is to just say "made from imported" and some guff about preservatives), but the food lobby squelched any chance of it happening.

quote:

My bottle has 4g per 100g, which doesn't seem excessive?

Now you're making the serve excuse. It's bloody excessive if you can taste the sugar in a garlic butter sauce, which I was having with smoked cod so it tasted like sugar cod and was horrible.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pell will stand trial on at least one charge

Wallington has ruled that Pell will stand trial on at least one charge, relating to alleged offending at a swimming pool. :gay:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

asio posted:

Fat office workers ITT talking about losing weight by taxing chocolate bars instead of going outside for a walk lol

Exercise alone doesn't work for weight loss

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I hope pedo Pell flees to Rome and the hip new Pope protects him.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pell likely to stand trial on at least one charge

The court hears Pell is likely to stand trial on at least one charge. But many other charges have been thrown out.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Just to call back to an SBS article from last year: why fat shaming doesn't help anyone

quote:

Mental health issues like depression and anxiety can make it harder for an individual to lose weight. Research has found that people who experience weight-based discrimination are more likely to gain more weight than lose it.

(the article contains a link to more info about the research)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Before Times posted:

Just to call back to an SBS article from last year: why fat shaming doesn't help anyone

(the article contains a link to more info about the research)

People can't understand the difference between chanting "fatty fatty fat fat" at a rando and saying to a friend "I'm worried about your health so lets go walking together after work every day".

Anyway I own a $1700 rowing machine so gently caress you all.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pell will stand trial on multiple alleged offences

The magistrate is still delivering her decision.

But my colleague Melissa Davey says Pell will face trial on at least multiple charges, from separate complainants.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Disclaimer: fatty

There's more to it than just calories in and calories out, which isn't to say the laws of physics bend and warp around fat people but rather that different body compositions and conditions react to the presence of excess unused sugars in different ways. It's established now that current or ex fatties have to maintain a caloric deficit for basically their whole lives to keep weight off compared to a person who had never been fat. Key points I remember were brown fat activity and the presence of empty fat cells making storage efficient disposal versus the body having to create fat cells in skinny people so it was more efficient to dump it other ways.

In my case I blame parental neglect, I couldn't buy my own coke but it was always there and we rarely had vegetables or proper meals, and at 13 she stopped offering school lunch food except mushasi bars because I was "fat" (I went through puberty super young so I wasn't fat I was lady shaped). So think a targetted education and tax strategy on baby and child foods production and advertising would be a good start. And more focus on parental education. And mental illness.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Anyway I own a $1700 rowing machine so gently caress you all.

jbp cards

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There is straight up too much sugar in almost everything, but there's no way to get companies to cut that poo poo out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

G-Spot Run posted:

Disclaimer: fatty

There's more to it than just calories in and calories out, which isn't to say the laws of physics bend and warp around fat people but rather that different body compositions and conditions react to the presence of excess unused sugars in different ways. It's established now that current or ex fatties have to maintain a caloric deficit for basically their whole lives to keep weight off compared to a person who had never been fat. Key points I remember were brown fat activity and the presence of empty fat cells making storage efficient disposal versus the body having to create fat cells in skinny people so it was more efficient to dump it other ways.

In my case I blame parental neglect, I couldn't buy my own coke but it was always there and we rarely had vegetables or proper meals, and at 13 she stopped offering school lunch food except mushasi bars because I was "fat" (I went through puberty super young so I wasn't fat I was lady shaped). So think a targetted education and tax strategy on baby and child foods production and advertising would be a good start. And more focus on parental education. And mental illness.

I know a guy that goes to the gym three times a week and tries to lose weight, then after a month of hard work can't see a discernible change and just loving gorges on poo poo for the following month and gets fatter. It kills me because he's trapped in the eating because sad loop and I can't get him to see a psychiatrist which I think will help him plan a brain strategy for that make or break gently caress this moment.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

asio posted:

You cannot outrun a bad diet.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
take it to ylls morons

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Halo14 posted:

You cannot outrun a bad diet.

I know some people that have terrible diets and are huge and ripped. They work out for hours every day though and gently caress that. I stopped eating bread (except at a cafe) because I'm a toastie fiend and I reckon that immediately excised 2000 calories a week from my diet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Birdstrike posted:

take it to ylls morons

idk we are talking about the issues around a public health policy that won't deal with a lot of the factors making people fat in a modern society

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

idk we are talking about the issues around a public health policy that won't deal with a lot of the factors making people fat in a modern society

Cut wages and make people stand in line for bread. There I fixed the weight problem you’re welcome.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Birdstrike posted:

Cut wages and make people stand in line for bread. There I fixed the weight problem you’re welcome.

unironically agreedo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Archdiocese of Melbourne has issued a short statement:

quote:

We're not going to make a statement. Isn't the rule of law wonderful?

I may have paraphrased.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pell formally pleads 'not guilty'

Pell has just been committed to face trial on another batch of charges.

The magistrate tells him he can plead not guilty or guilty at any point.

Pell tells the court he is not guilty. He has long denied the charges, but has now formally entered the pleas.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/990920534928965633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

There is straight up too much sugar in almost everything, but there's no way to get companies to cut that poo poo out.

The UK literally just got a bunch of companies to reduce the sugar in their soft drinks by introducing a tax.

• Locked thread