Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I drink coke zero, and don't put sugar in my tea or coffee and I'm still fat af

I just have an eating disorder and crippling anxiety!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Incredible

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Put a tax on sugar and a negative tax on delicious healthy fats. I call it the "Make food taste better and also maybe help obesity" plan.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
affordable smashed avo, that's what I can get behind

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

What does GC blame for his weight loss? Is it the lap band surgery he got?? Hmm I wonder. Doesn't sound like personal responsibility to me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bell jar posted:

What does GC blame for his weight loss? Is it the lap band surgery he got?? Hmm I wonder. Doesn't sound like personal responsibility to me

Actually he was responsible enough to make a lot of money and use it to buy healthcare.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Fatshaming is bad, but shaming idiot goons ITT for conflating it with "acknowledgement that an obesity problem exists in Australia and many other western countries" is good.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

lol health insurance, even at the top premium cover levels, would leave you like $4-6k out of pocket for any gastric surgery depending on surgeon and procedure.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Before Times posted:

lol health insurance, even at the top premium cover levels, would leave you like $4-6k out of pocket for any gastric surgery depending on surgeon and procedure.

i think jbp might have been being facetious

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

i think jbp might have been being facetious

I wasn't. I never said insurance, I meant he literally paid out of pocket due to years of rewards for lifting.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i'm fat

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Before Times posted:

I drink coke zero, and don't put sugar in my tea or coffee and I'm still fat af

I just have an eating disorder and crippling anxiety!

There is some evidence that diet soft drinks also have a weight gaining effect too I can’t remember what it is specifically

One of my friends idea of weight control was to drink a can of Diet Coke and eat an apple and it would give them indigestion or something and make them not want to eat.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm real skinny but I'm hungry all the time

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

God I hope Pell is found guilty just to see the reaction from Andrew Bolt and Tony Abbott.

As well as some closure for Pell's victims, of course.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

JBP posted:

I wasn't. I never said insurance, I meant he literally paid out of pocket due to years of rewards for lifting.

yeah true, he's probably got the requisite $15k lying around from that sweet sweet parliamentary money

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solemn Sloth posted:

There is some evidence that diet soft drinks also have a weight gaining effect too I can’t remember what it is specifically

I heard about that study recently. Turns out they gently caress up your blood sugar control mechanisms too, but in a different way or something. There's a kind of tragedy to it

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The Before Times posted:

It’s May, which means a flurry of state budgets, plus the FEDERAL BUDGET which is set to be good for the middle class and businesses but really poo poo for probably everyone else.

It's Mudget May everybody.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Todays Guardian is pulling both ways on discussion of sex work/prostitution in Australia and New Zealand, not to argue they shouldn't do a both sides coverage to cover bias but the content of them is at once saying they individually view their rights and successes, and at the same time being told they are the oppressed and slaves.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/may/01/the-future-of-sex-work-a-photo-essay

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/30/new-zealand-sex-work-prostitution-migrants-julie-bindel

fake edit: oh just realised the second is by Julie Bindel, a TERF

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Huh

Vicgov announced pre-budget (in two hours) that schoolkids can now do an apprenticeship or traineeship during higshscool and finish it alongside VCE and go right into the workforce at 18 already qualified.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

isn't that what VET is or has school changed since i was there a decade or so ago

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

A tattooist has been arrested as police investigate the alleged genital mutilation of a woman in Newcastle.

Police allege the 33-year-old woman paid the man for a body modification procedure at a Newcastle West business in 2016, but later made a formal complaint of genital mutilation to police.

Police formed Strike Force Nellievale to investigate, and about 8am on Tuesday officers arrested the tattooist and body modifier at his home in Terrigal on the Central Coast.

The 37-year-old man was taken to Gosford Police Station and is assisting police with their inquiries, a police spokesman said.

A search warrant was also being executed at a business at the Erina Fair shopping centre, the spokesman said.

Body modification is not legislated in NSW, but members of the skin penetration industry are required to follow public health regulations.

Not being qualified medical practitioners, body modifiers are not allowed to supply topical anaesthetics, and cannot use schedule four prescription medicines, which includes injections.

Looking past the anesthetics part, ummmm... should this be a crime? There was a consented party involved who sought out, and paid, for the procedure then turned around and went to the police? I don't think this is what genital mutilation legislation was for.

edit: realised i may have misread the article, that this could be a piercing gone wrong (it says she paid for a procedure but not what procedure), but still the view is fundamentally the same

Lid fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 1, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Here's fat person advice from someone who's lost weight successfully, but is still fat and is in the process of getting back to a healthy weight (because I don't want to loving die).

Weight loss and body stuff is weird. Diet is more important than exercise, but exercise helps too (especially for motivation for eating right and getting endorphins in your body). Don't neglect your mental health, if you're loving miserable you're never going to have enough motivation to stay on track food wise.

Weight changes are a very long term process, and about changes in lifestyle, build a diet that you can follow for the rest of your life. It's not all or nothing, so don't freak out if you drop the ball now and then. Eat enough to keep your metabolism going, if you're running strict calories uplift your intake once a week or once a fortnight to keep the metabolism going, you'll be hungry as hell 2 days later but that's fine. Drink lots of water.

Replace carbs with protein and veggies. Eat lots of protein, it fills you up longer and takes more energy to burn. Be aware of the calorie intakes of what you eat, 30g of chilli beef jerky is a great snack, chilli is a good appetite suppressant.

If you're doing things that should be helping you lose weight but you aren't check your medication and see a doctor. I improved diet and exercise and health for years and years and kept gaining weight until I changed a medication (and nothing else, followed the exact same routine I'd had for a long time) and lost 40kg in 2 years, medication and other things can make massive differences.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

Todays Guardian is pulling both ways on discussion of sex work/prostitution in Australia and New Zealand, not to argue they shouldn't do a both sides coverage to cover bias but the content of them is at once saying they individually view their rights and successes, and at the same time being told they are the oppressed and slaves.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/may/01/the-future-of-sex-work-a-photo-essay

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/30/new-zealand-sex-work-prostitution-migrants-julie-bindel

fake edit: oh just realised the second is by Julie Bindel, a TERF

Some hot takes here:

quote:

Perhaps an inevitable conclusion is that carers working with physically disabled couples, where there is a medium to severe level of mobility impairment, are asked to facilitate sex between them – for example, the carer may be expected to insert the penis of one into an orifice of the other.

quote:

If prostitution is “work”, will states create training programmes for girls to perform the “best oral sex” for sex buyers?

quote:

If prostitution is “sex work”, then by its own logic, rape is merely theft. The inside of a woman’s body should never be viewed as a workplace.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
To no-one's great surprise, the SW&TERF is an idiot

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Not up to date, whats SW?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lid posted:

Sex worker.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Thought that but Julie Bindel isn't a sex worker

edit: oh caught up sex work and trans exlusionary radical feminism

ok caught up, move along

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

Star Wars

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
drat you ampersands

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"If prostitution is “sex work”, then by its own logic, rape is merely theft."

If you're making the same arguments as redpills (even if you're going the opposite way on the same road) you're probably wrong.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

star wars & the empire returns finally

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Wasn't saying she was, SWERF is a thing also, just kinda weird to write out both SWERF and TERF...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah eat poo poo Pell

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"If prostitution is “sex work”, then by its own logic, rape is merely theft."

A scorching take so hot it went pulsar and time traveled to us from 1985.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Knorth posted:

Wasn't saying she was, SWERF is a thing also, just kinda weird to write out both SWERF and TERF...

I do not want to eat the swerf and terf, thank you.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I hear they do a good SWERF and TERF at the Coogee Bay Hotel :itwaspoo:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Some nice pre-election Bendigo pork-barrel:

quote:

The Andrews Labor Government will support the next stage of Bendigo’s development, with a new GovHub office in the heart of the city’s CBD that will bring new jobs to Bendigo.

The Victorian Budget 2018/19 invests $16 million to secure the major jobs boost for Bendigo and builds on planning funding included in last year’s Budget.

The GovHub will bring more than 1,000 public sector jobs in the CBD, including 100 new jobs not currently based in Bendigo – boosting the number of people working in the city centre.

Staff from City of Greater Bendigo, Regional Development Victoria and Parks Victoria will all be based at the GovHub, as well as staff from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, and the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources.

Bringing these agencies together under one roof will provide a one-stop-shop for people needing state or local government services or advice.

In a boost for local jobs, the Labor Government will also look to expand the number of Victorian public servants working from the new GovHub location.

Construction of the new GovHub is expected to create more than 70 construction jobs when it starts next year, and is due to be complete by late 2021.

The Bendigo GovHub is one of three GovHub projects currently being developed, with work in Ballarat and Latrobe Valley also underway.

Quotes attributable to Minister for Major Projects and Member for Bendigo East Jacinta Allan

“This is a massive boost for Bendigo – delivering a one-stop-shop for locals, bringing more jobs to the city and supporting the revitalisation of the CBD.”

“We’ve done the planning and now we’ll bring over 1,000 employees together under one roof to provide advice and help make our local economy even stronger.”

Quotes attributable to Member for Bendigo West Maree Edwards

“GovHub is an investment in Bendigo’s future – creating jobs during the construction phase and on-going positions for local job seekers.”

“We are giving the Bendigo CBD the boost it needs and ensuring that people continue to want to live, work and raise their families in our beautiful city.”

I'm betting it'll be very near if not indeed right next to the current Vic Dept of Housing. Degree of difficulty +20 for the mysterious "amazing candidate" yet to be announced by the Libs.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
The OP doesn’t mention video game refunds smh

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Vic budget is out

https://twitter.com/calhoops/status/991152448411652096?s=19

'Priority' tafe courses to be free.
12 new schools and mental health funding and roads are the big items

https://www.budget.vic.gov.au/