Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-01/holiday-letting-forcing-out-tenants-says-anglicare/9710336

quote:

Anglicare Australia is concerned that holiday letting is creating "proxy resort towns" in regional Australia and adding further stress to the housing crisis.
This week the charity released its Rental Affordability Snapshot, which examined all the private rentals available in Australia over a weekend in March.
The report found a marked drop in availability of properties in Ballina, Byron Bay and Tweed Heads, as people took their houses out of the rental market and advertised them on short-term holiday websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Nimby

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Free TAFE is huge and cool and good.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Agile" economy destoys actual economy is going to be the catchphrase for the 2020's isn't it?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

hooman posted:

"Agile" economy destoys actual economy is going to be the catchphrase for the 2020's isn't it?

Not in this case, its just the new spin on this

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/airbnb-is-gutting-our-community-says-mayor-of-holiday-hotspot-byron-bay-20180409-p4z8j5.html

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

That still seems to fit...

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"Oh those honourable landlords, providing rental properties to our young people, they're true heroes of our econo- wait they're flogging them off for weekends for even more money? gently caress those arseholes."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
We decry "rent seeking" yet we still allow landlords to exist :thunk:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
look at all these hypocrites ITT who hate landlords but still pay one money for their lodgings

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

from the old thread, but I reckon the increase from 2015 to 2016 can be largely put down to the 2016 federal election.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
double post

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Before Times posted:

look at all these hypocrites ITT who hate landlords but still pay one money for their lodgings

Yeah, well, look how far you get without paying :smith:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

JBP posted:

Free tafe for poo poo that needs doing is good imo

Whitlam posted:

Free TAFE is huge and cool and good.

Indeed

https://twitter.com/DanielAndrewsMP/status/991162430213378049?s=19

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 1, 2018

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

The Before Times posted:

I hated landlords so much I became my own landlord. Free yourself from the yolk of landlord oppression and take up the yolk of bank oppression.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Konomex posted:

I hated landlords so much I became my own landlord. Free yourself from the yolk of landlord oppression and take up the yolk of bank oppression.

where's that gif of homer simpson being unshackled from the stone of shame and then shackled to the stone of triumph

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
There's a thing on tomorrow by the greens about rentals (and presumably how loving atrocious they can be).

The thing that shits me is that landlord's expectations are generally way higher than they'd have of their own house.

The majority of those "mum and dad investors" they talk about are not suited to be landlord's. They're too jealous and loss averse to their property, like loving Gollum with his precious.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

froglet posted:

There's a thing on tomorrow by the greens about rentals (and presumably how loving atrocious they can be).

The thing that shits me is that landlord's expectations are generally way higher than they'd have of their own house.

The majority of those "mum and dad investors" they talk about are not suited to be landlord's. They're too jealous and loss averse to their property, like loving Gollum with his precious.

Power corrupts, especially very small amounts of power.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Ah I see you're familiar with uni politics too.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Yeah, my husband had I recently returned the keys to the house we rented from my in-laws. MIL as not happy about the state of the bathroom despite the fact the problems the bathroom had were either preexisting or due to age.

It's like... I'm not sure what you expected to happen here, the bathroom was grody when we moved in. The whole thing needed to be redone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Konomex posted:

When my parents die I won't have to do either, owned.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

When my parents die I won't have to do either, owned.

just lol when they outlive you

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

You Am I posted:

God I hope Pell is found guilty just to see the reaction from Andrew Bolt and Tony Abbott.

As well as some closure for Pell's victims, of course.
Bolt saw the writing on the wall a while ago and declared it unjournalistic to comment on a case in progress.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

just lol when they harvest your money and organs to outlive you

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

snoremac posted:

Bolt saw the writing on the wall a while ago and declared it unjournalistic to comment on a case in progress.

not a terrible decision given the profile of the case (a broken clock is right twice a day etc etc)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Yeah but in that case you get the sweet release of death so who's the real winner?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

thatbastardken posted:

Yeah but in that case you get the sweet release of death so who's the real winner?

us

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hey I'm fat and I don't care, death will come as a blessed relief when it claims me

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

tithin posted:

Hey I'm fat and I don't care, death will come as a blessed relief when it claims me

why do you hate fat people

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

bell jar posted:

why do you hate fat people

Because I hate myself and want to die :shrug:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

tithin posted:

:same:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

froglet posted:

Yeah, my husband had I recently returned the keys to the house we rented from my in-laws. MIL as not happy about the state of the bathroom despite the fact the problems the bathroom had were either preexisting or due to age.

It's like... I'm not sure what you expected to happen here, the bathroom was grody when we moved in. The whole thing needed to be redone.

You're supposed to take some pride in where you live you loving degenerate, by which I mean spend your own money/time improving the house's value so you can pay more rent.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin posted:

I miss Tero too but that’s not what he would want, friend

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm fat and I don't hate myself or want to die. Those two things don't need to be linked!

I just hate everyone else and want them to die.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
You should all get thin as a thin person I highly recommend it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lmao if you expect Pell to be convicted of literally anything and if he is, actually be punished in accordance with the severity of the crimes.

hes already had a number of the charges thrown out as if he will even do hard time.

btw fat shaming is fair game if you are willing to shame bigots and racists and expect them to change.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
In 2018 the only thing that unites the left is our unifying tendency towards nihilism and self-harm.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Laserface posted:

lmao if you expect Pell to be convicted of literally anything and if he is, actually be punished in accordance with the severity of the crimes.

hes already had a number of the charges thrown out as if he will even do hard time.

btw fat shaming is fair game if you are willing to shame bigots and racists and expect them to change.

Only cos some of the people died, it's less that they were thrown out in merit, and more that there couldn't be testimony of the dead, so they had to stop prosecution on those particular cases

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

Being fat harms only yourself, bigotry and racism harms others.

And before you start on the health costs to society, alcohol, cigarettes (which also harm others), thin people who don't exercise, eating sugar, riding without a helmet, contact sports, etc. etc. etc

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Laserface posted:

Yeah but you could have said the same thing about him going to trial. I know I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

hooman posted:

Being fat harms only yourself, bigotry and racism harms others.

And before you start on the health costs to society, alcohol, cigarettes (which also harm others), thin people who don't exercise, eating sugar, riding without a helmet, contact sports, etc. etc. etc

Being fat harms children by teaching them that it's ok to live an unhealthy lifestyle.

• Locked thread