Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

quote:

Murray Watt: Have you been interviewed by the Australian Federal Police?

Michaelia Cash “Again, that question has been answered on numerous occasions, I will take it on notice and have it referred to the relevant Senate committee”

quote:

Murray Watt: Is taxpayer’s money being used to assist you in paying for your lawyers who you have instructed to set the subpoena aside?

Again, I will take that question on notice and refer it to the relevant Senate committee?

Murray Watt: What time is it minister? Is there any question you can answer?

quote:

Murray Watt: What was the nature of the subpoena that was served on you?

Michaelia Cash: Again, I will take that question on notice and have it referred to the relevant Senate committee.

Watt: You are the relevant minister, it was served on you, there is no other minister it was served on.

Watt: Does being served with that subpeona affect your ability to perform your role as minister?

Cash: Absolutely not, I don’t think I will have been the first minister to have been served with a subpoena, and in particular, one by Mr Shorten’s union, his greatest backer, the Australian Workers’ Union.

Watt: Have you been interviewed by the Australian Federal Police as part of their investigation into the leak.

Cash: Again that question has been answered

Watt: No it hasn’t

Cash: On numerous occasions

Watt: No, you’ve never answered that

Cash: And I’ll take it on notice and have it referred to the relevant Senate committee

Watt: You have never answered that question, despite being asked over and over again

Jane Hume: Senator Watt, that is not a question, that is a statement, if you have a question for the minister, or the department of innovation, industry and science, you are more than welcome to ask one

Watt: Minister it is true isn’t it, you have actually never answered that question - whether you have been interviewed by the Australian Federal Police.

Cash: I reject that assertion, and Senator Hume, to the extent that question is able to be taken on notice, I will take it on the notice and have it referred to the relevant Senate committee.

Watt: Who else should we ask if you have been interviewed by the federal police. You must know. You must have been present if you were or weren’t interviewed, it is a simple yes or no answer. So have you been interviewed?

Cash: I refer you to my previous answer.

Watt: How many of your staff or former staff have now been interviewed by the AFP regarding the leak by your office.

Cash: I rely on my former answer in relation to this and provided to the relevant committee.

Watt: Are you claiming (Hume interjects again)

Watt: Minister, are you claiming a public interest immunity in order to not answer these questions?

Cash: Again, I have taken this on notice and referred it to the relevant Senate committee.

Watt: Why do we keep having this issue covered up? There are simple answers to these questions which would actually put away a lot of the doubt that remains, the cloud that hangs over your head, can be cleared, if you would actually just answer some questions about whether you have been interviewed by the police, how many people have been interviewed by your staff, have there been other ministers who have been interviewed as well...this whole cover up would go away. You must accept that it is actually making things worse for you.

Cash: Senator Watt, again, I am not going to go along with your media stunt.

bold the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1001980326472765440

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

bell jar posted:

bold the whole thing

So either she's incredibly stupid, or incredibly guilty. Right? Otherwise none of this makes any sense to me.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Konomex posted:

So either she's incredibly stupid, or incredibly guilty. Right? Otherwise none of this makes any sense to me.

why not both?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

quote:

Cash: The only question which needs to be answered is that of Mr Shorten, who wants to run the biggest company in Australia, funded by the Australian taxpayer -

Watt: It is not a company, it is a government

Cash: Did he, or did he not get the relevant authorisations to provide $100,000 of union members’ money to GetUp when he was the head of AWU and a director of GetUp and that is the only question which needs to be answered and it could have been answered, eight, nine, ten months ago

Watt: Well, if you hadn’t been involved in organising a raid and a leak, maybe we would be focussing on that.

Hume: Senator, this isn’t tit-for-tat. Do you have a question for the minister, or a question for the department of industry..

Watt: Is taxpayers money being used to assist you in paying for your lawyers who you have instructed to have the subpeona.

Cash: Again, I will take that question on notice and provide it to the relevant Senate committee.

Watt: Are you receiving legal representation from either government or non-government solicitors in this matter?

Cash: Again, I will take that question on notice and provide it to the relevant Senate committee.

Watt: Can you tell us what time it is, minister Cash?

Cash: (says nothing)

Watt: Will you answer that question?

Cash: Now you are actually being silly, Senator Watts

Watt: No, I am looking for a question you might answer. Do you know what day of the week it is?

Hume: Have you got a question for the department?

Watt: What day is it today, minister?

Hume: Senator Watt

Watt: Are you going to take that on notice?

Hume: You are stretching the friendship. I am going to give the call to somebody else who wants to ask questions

Watt: Are we now covering up what day of the week it is?

Hume: Oh Senator Watt, this is pathetic.

Watt: How far is this cover up extending. I just wondered, is there anything you will say today, about this incredible scandal that hangs over your head.

Hume: Minister, you don’t have to answer this, it has absolutely nothing to do -

Cash: Oh, I am enjoying this performance by Senator Watt, people often accuse me of being a performer. I am incredibly impressed by this.

Watt: Is this department, the department of innovation, industry and science funding your lawyers.

Cash: This is not the relevant department, Senator Hume

Watt: You can’t escape that question

Cash: This is not the relevant department for the issue Senator Watt has raised

Watt: So it might be another department that is funding your lawyers? But this department isn’t?

Watt: Would you tell us if you haven’t been interviewed by the police, minister?

Cash: Senator Watt, you and I have answered this question -

Watt: No, you have never, ever answered it -

Cash: a million times now -

Watt: That is the point

Cash: And again, I will take it on notice -

Watt: I am going to keep coming back and -

Cash: and ask it’s referred -

Watt: and asking these questions -

Cash: to the relevant Senate committee

Watt - Answer them

Hume: Interjects again to say it is the wrong committee. Your questions have no relevance whatsoever to this particular committee, you know that.

Watt: That is not correct. If it is the case that the minister has been interviewed by the police, it is not in relation to the AWU proceedings, it is in relation to a criminal investigation into the activities of her office and possibly other offices in allegedly leaking confidential information in breach of the crimes act, that is what it is about

Cash: That is completely wrong, Senator Watt

Watt: That is not wrong. So is there a different criminal investigation underway that we don’t know about? What is wrong about what I just said?

Cash: Senator Watt, you are entitled to come here and make as many statements as you like, no matter how incorrect they are, but as I said, you have your headline, I am not going to indulge your media stunt any further.

Watt: I just want some answers to questions that you never answer. That is what estimates is for.

Watt: So you are not going to answer any of these questions?

Watt: That is a question

Cash: Well, Senator Hume, I have taken all the questions on notice and I have said I will provide them to the relevant Senate committee.

Hume: I don’t think you can ask much more of the minister, Senator Watt

Watt: OK, so no money is coming from this department to assist you with your legal represenation.

Watt: Minister?

Cash: I’ve said I would take that question on notice and provide it to the relevant Senate committee.

Kim Carr: It is a cross-portfolio, and the issue is, is this department funding your legal defence, minister?

Cash: Well, I will take that question on notice and provide it to the relevant Senate committee.

Carr: What do you mean? You don’t know?

Cash: I said I would take that question on notice.

Carr: Well, I’ll ask the Secretary. Madame Secretary, is this department funding this minister’s legal defence?

Departmental officer: It is not, not to my knowledge, Senator.

Carr: It is a straight answer. Thank you.

it gets better

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

From the Guardian Live Feed:

quote:

“ONE NATION IS NOT A LOOSE ALLIANCE,” Pauline Hanson cuts in, after asking Peter Georgiou to explain how the party democratically comes to decisions on how it votes.

One Nation is a bloc. We will vote as a bloc. We are not a loose party. There was a vote about same-sex marriage. I was open to other senators to have their own personal opinions stopped there are certain issues they should have their own personal opinion. We are united in our vote with this.

Hanson walks away and, despite saying goodbye, Georgiou stays in front of the cameras.

A reporter asks why he’s still there. Georgiou appears surprised to find himself alone in front of the microphones.

I didn’t realise she walked away. I will walk away too now. I will walk away, too, now.
loving LOL

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

You Am I posted:

loving LOL

Is this real or is the Guardian just writing it's teleplay?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

[quote=]
Cash: Oh, I am enjoying this performance by Senator Watt, people often accuse me of being a performer. I am incredibly impressed by this.
[/quote]
im not mad actually i’m laughing

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

loving LOL

we're all individuals!

Guardian Liveblog posted:

Labor’s Lisa Singh has just pressed Liberal senator Zed Seselja on whether it will remain government policy at the next election.

He’s unable to answer, offering a simple:“I guess you’ll find out before the next election.”

Labor senator Murray Watt pipes up:“So you might abandon it?”

Seselja:“I’m not saying that, I’m just saying election policies, we spell them out in the lead-up to an election.”

Eventually Sesejla takes the question on notice. Singh describes the lack of an answer as “remarkable” and “bizarre”.

Since their percentage tanked, they are terrified of any policy that might split their base, of course they're not going to raise it. All bets are off since the Abbott disaster.

edit: and also the live export issue is still dragging on, with just incredible mismanagement from the government, how hard is it to placate the electorate with assurances?

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 31, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Journalists actively hate Cash now. She's basically hosed. It's all sport from here on in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BREAKING NEWS Online retail giant Amazon will block Australian consumers from its global sites to counter new GST laws

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Online retail giant Amazon will block Australian consumers from its global sites to counter new laws to force it to collect the good and services tax on transactions.

Lmao LNP literally forcing online stores to block Australia.

Can't even import Mr Speaker.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wonder what eBay will do to gently caress us over

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
That'll keep Gerry happy

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
That's want they wanted to happen, Gerry Harvey just climaxed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/liztilley84/status/1001777856920211456

:itwaspoo:

Oh cool we're doing this again.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 31, 2018

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The most dangerous political thing they can do is stop people spending money overseas to avoid getting ripped off here. I'm guessing this is going to be a huge issue.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Great job Adam Bandt posting anti-Semitic imagery to attack Labor over tax cuts. :downs:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Paywalled.

Copy and paste it or give us the headline so we can google it.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

BREAKING NEWS Online retail giant Amazon will block Australian consumers from its global sites to counter new GST laws

Good.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:carol: :siren: australian subscriber spotted :siren: :carol:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
This will definitely make people support local retailers and not just further drive up our already high piracy rates

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

i'm an accelerationist

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Box of Bunnies posted:

This will definitely make people support local retailers and not just further drive up our already high piracy rates

It's not going to affect any of the direct download and streaming entertainment poo poo. You can't pirate a jumper.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
It's ok, the free market shall provide a solution. Some rent seeker will show up as an intermediary to move US amazon stock into Australia.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Anidav posted:

Online retail giant Amazon will block Australian consumers from its global sites to counter new laws to force it to collect the good and services tax on transactions.

Lmao LNP literally forcing online stores to block Australia.

Can't even import Mr Speaker.

Wow I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand we have a global megacorp which is calling the Government’s bluff by saying whatever value our markets have to its overseas subsidiaries is less than the cost of collecting sales tax so F U Australia and potentially forcing the Government (or next one) into compromise, on the other we have an ostensibly free trade and liberalization focused govt who has just screwed Australian consumers by a policy that blocks one of the largest global retailers from competing locally. Either way I hope the LNP takes a massive hit. Stupid approach that has backfired in a way I bet they haven’t understood yet.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Dimebag posted:

It's ok, the free market shall provide a solution. Some rent seeker will show up as an intermediary to move US amazon stock into Australia.

Well presumably AU amazon will continue expanding, I wonder if they would have done this if they didn’t already have a growing domestic presence. But Amazon also owns a lot of other online retailers like Book Depository so there may be a lot of things that suddenly become unavailable. Can’t wait to see the consumer rage!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Dimebag posted:

Yeah, they're called Australian retailers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yet another example of Australia being a pissant nothing country that means less than poo poo in the scheme of things.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

G-Spot Run posted:

Paywalled.

Copy and paste it or give us the headline so we can google it.

My bad, forgot about the paywall because I Googled it myself.

Adam Bandt apologies for removed ‘Nazi’ post

Greens MP Adam Bandt has apologised “for any offence caused” after removing Nazi-sympathiser imagery of a Jewish banker from a post on his Facebook page, amid outrage from members of the Jewish community.

The post, urging Labor to block Malcolm Turnbull’s “tax cuts for millionaires” and featuring a hook-nosed caricature of a Jewish banker similar to images notoriously published in Nazi-sympathiser newspaper Der Sturmer during the Holocaust, appeared on Mr Bandt’s Facebook page yesterday.

It was taken down without explanation this morning.

After being contacted by The Australian, a spokesman for Mr Bandt said the “clip-art image” was intended to portray a top-hatted millionaire benefiting from the tax cuts.

“Many cartoonists often use top hats to portray rich people,” the spokesman said. “However, some people have been offended by this particular image so we have taken it down.

“We sincerely apologise for any offence caused.”

Labor historian and Melbourne Jewish community member Nick Dyrenfurth tweeted at Mr Bandt, “When you criticise Turnbull’s tax cuts for millionaires don’t use Der Sturmer-style imagery of a Jewish banker. Deleting it today isn’t good enough. You should apologise.”

Anti-Defamation Commission chairman Dvir Abramovich said he had been contacted by people who were deeply distressed and offended by the post.

“In the minds of some, this image, showing a man with an exaggerated nose, linked with bags of money, evokes classic anti-Semitic themes and reinforces stereotypes about Jews as greedy and manipulative,” Dr Abramovich said.

“We should remember that similar caricatures were popularised in Germany during the Nazi era, especially in the virulently anti-Semitic magazine Der Sturmer.

“At a time when anti-Semitism is on the rise and is being normalised, we all have special responsibility to avoid promoting, albeit inadvertently, anything which may come across as aiding age-old hateful views of Jews.

“We sincerely doubt Adam Bandt intentionally sought to engage in any hurtful conduct, and we are glad that he has taken down the post.”

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whitlam posted:

My bad, forgot about the paywall because I Googled it myself.

What was the pic. Why do the Melbourne Greens have such a problem with Jews lmao

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

JBP posted:

What was the pic. Why do the Melbourne Greens have such a problem with Jews lmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/dyrenfurth/status/1001981392455118848

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Why can't they just use a picture of the Monopoly guy?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

JBP posted:

Yet another example of Australia being a pissant nothing country that means less than poo poo in the scheme of things.

new thread title please mods

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I will be honest - now that I've seen the image in question, it wouldn't have occurred to me that it had any Jewish signifiers. To me, it shows "Old evil rich person" and looks more like a pig than anything racial. I'm guessing that's the problem - similar caricatures may have been used in Nazi propaganda, but I haven't seen a lot of Nazi propaganda to draw any such parallel, and I'm guessing that whoever made this hasn't either.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cool so it's actually just a pigman wearing a top hat.

SadisTech posted:

I will be honest - now that I've seen the image in question, it wouldn't have occurred to me that it had any Jewish signifiers. To me, it shows "Old evil rich person" and looks more like a pig than anything racial. I'm guessing that's the problem - similar caricatures may have been used in Nazi propaganda, but I haven't seen a lot of Nazi propaganda to draw any such parallel, and I'm guessing that whoever made this hasn't either.

It's like the polar opposite of the cartooning style used in Der Sturmer.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

calling that image anti semitic is the biggest stretch i've ever seen. hope dyrenfurth didn't pull anything reaching that hard

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
lol

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
"the mechanisms of our economy are stoppered by the invasive tendrils of the jew. vote greens!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

People use Amazon global to avoid tech companies from using the Australia tax on us.

A 128gb SD card costs 50 bux on Amazon US but 139 on Jbhifi.

It's nuts.

• Locked thread