Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Here's fat person advice from someone who's lost weight successfully, but is still fat and is in the process of getting back to a healthy weight (because I don't want to loving die).

Weight loss and body stuff is weird. Diet is more important than exercise, but exercise helps too (especially for motivation for eating right and getting endorphins in your body). Don't neglect your mental health, if you're loving miserable you're never going to have enough motivation to stay on track food wise.

Weight changes are a very long term process, and about changes in lifestyle, build a diet that you can follow for the rest of your life. It's not all or nothing, so don't freak out if you drop the ball now and then. Eat enough to keep your metabolism going, if you're running strict calories uplift your intake once a week or once a fortnight to keep the metabolism going, you'll be hungry as hell 2 days later but that's fine. Drink lots of water.

Replace carbs with protein and veggies. Eat lots of protein, it fills you up longer and takes more energy to burn. Be aware of the calorie intakes of what you eat, 30g of chilli beef jerky is a great snack, chilli is a good appetite suppressant.

If you're doing things that should be helping you lose weight but you aren't check your medication and see a doctor. I improved diet and exercise and health for years and years and kept gaining weight until I changed a medication (and nothing else, followed the exact same routine I'd had for a long time) and lost 40kg in 2 years, medication and other things can make massive differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"If prostitution is “sex work”, then by its own logic, rape is merely theft."

If you're making the same arguments as redpills (even if you're going the opposite way on the same road) you're probably wrong.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Agile" economy destoys actual economy is going to be the catchphrase for the 2020's isn't it?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

That still seems to fit...

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
We decry "rent seeking" yet we still allow landlords to exist :thunk:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

just lol when they harvest your money and organs to outlive you

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm fat and I don't hate myself or want to die. Those two things don't need to be linked!

I just hate everyone else and want them to die.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

lmao if you expect Pell to be convicted of literally anything and if he is, actually be punished in accordance with the severity of the crimes.

hes already had a number of the charges thrown out as if he will even do hard time.

btw fat shaming is fair game if you are willing to shame bigots and racists and expect them to change.

Being fat harms only yourself, bigotry and racism harms others.

And before you start on the health costs to society, alcohol, cigarettes (which also harm others), thin people who don't exercise, eating sugar, riding without a helmet, contact sports, etc. etc. etc

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

thatfatkid posted:

Being fat harms children by teaching them that it's ok to live an unhealthy lifestyle.

You've confused teaching children it's ok to live an unhealthy lifestyle and being fat.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

thatfatkid posted:

It's the same logic that smoking or drinking around children normalises such unhealthy behaviour. Being fat around a child normalises such a lifestyle.

So you're pro alcohol shaming and against fatshaming people who don't have or interact with kids?

What about the other things I mentioned, poor diet (exclusive of fatness), playing injury prone sports (netball anyone?), etc are you for shaming people out of those too for the protection of children?

Because it smells like you're looking for reasons to confirm your biases, not a good faith effort to protect children.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

thin people with genetic conditions.

The kids are going to see you and think that genetic conditions are desirable and then they'll have one when they're older.

you monster

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

eh, since 2010 the average australian man and woman are overweight, so that a lot here are "fat" isn't an unusual thing, including myself, and why i was trying to differentiate that from obese because the discussion becomes not about fat but about the average australian

It's a problem with definitions and height as well. BMI doesn't scale very well with getting taller. When I was very fit and 16% body fat I was still technically obese when that's actually a very healthy weight for me and lower than I'm aiming for now.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dimebag posted:

Just goes to show how easily you can tell if someone actually knows a teacher based on these arguments. This wonderful utopia where homework doesn't need marking, lesson plans don't need creating in addition to extra curricular activities that need supervising. Because as we all know they just show up at 830, have a 15 minute break around 10, a 40 minutes break around 1230 and then are back home by 345. A smooth 4 and half hourish work day all said and done, drat leeches on society. I suppose though less critical thinking in students means more votes for the LNP.

I don't know the full content of what he said but the gist I got from the article was that teachers should work 8 hour days and that should be sufficient to cover everything they need to do, and shouldn't have to be working at home/after hours/weekends, which is a totally unrealistic expectation given schools have extracurricular programs that need people to run them, and marking etc. doesn't fit neatly into convenient daily blocks.

I'd be in favor of teachers having to spend less of their personal time slaving to their work. But given it's an LNP member saynigi t, it's probably lazy leaner teachers working 4 hours too many holidays!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

Here's an idea,

Lets gently caress off council elections and make local governments public servants who we can sack when we identify corruption

Sure the Liberals won't do it, but it'll stop half the countries councils being run by rent seeking shitheels

Only half?

Where are these mystical non rent seeking councilpeople?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

Where we're at is basically most of the bad aspects of communism without the wealth sharing bits

Gotcha

LUCKY DUCKY!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/may/02/catholics-warn-against-winner-takes-all-approach-on-marriage-equality

Read it all. Amazing.

From the policy department of a catholic university posted:

Casey said that rather than requiring one view of marriage be validated by “forcing people who don’t agree ... to endorse or cooperate with it, we should as much as possible be creating a space to live and let live”

:fuckoff: you hypocritical fuckbags

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I remember seeing this one in person...

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The only response to any such claims is "Prove it".

It's not arguing about costs, because everyone knows it's unreasonable. It's like someone saying they could throw a ball into orbit, it doesn't matter how much orbital mechanics you show them, they don't care, the only possible response is "Put up, or shut up".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

Calm down, Thanos

Thanos the rich.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Au posted:

Peter Dutton’s home affairs department has fought against proposed restrictions on a new facial-recognition system, rejecting calls for warrants and a threshold for serious offences that justify use of the technology.

At a parliamentary joint committee on intelligence and security hearing on Thursday the Law Council of Australia raised concerns that facial recognition could be used to prosecute minor crimes such as jay-walking or littering, and even allow creation of a full “social credit” system of government surveillance.

:catstare:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

this broken hill posted:

comic books suck and comic book movies suck

Proving they are the perfect accouterments to auspol.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

"The free market is great. Oh no someone stole all my buttcoins, government please intervene and save me." - A libertarian

To answer your question it's because the cogs in their brain are missing some teeth.

Liberty for me, slavery for others.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Herr Potato posted:

By Bill Shorten being out there saying that New Zealand is on the table, people realise that New Zealand is a back doorway into Australia. They realise New Zealand is a comparable society to Australia. It has a similar welfare system, similar health, education offerings, housing, etc. It is marketed in the same way that Australia is as a positive destination. If Labor thinks that this problem has gone away, that they can now water Operation Sovereign Borders down, Bill Shorten is making the same mistake that Kevin Rudd made when he undid John Howard’s policies and if Bill Shorten thinks he can give a nudge and a wink to the left of the Labor party before an election and he believes he is going to win that election and water these policies down, that is exactly what Kevin Rudd did and it resulted in 1,200 people drowning, 8,000 kids in detention, 17 detention centres were opened and the Australian public rightly was angry because there were billions of dollars wasted and we are still cleaning up that mess today.

If only Labah hadn't forced us to imprison and torture all those children!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

How many lives has potato saved

10,800 but that's only due to a typo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Andrew Bolt: Don’t Marxists realize that he stole the whole “help those in poverty” idea from Jesus Christ?

Jesus Christ: inventor of empathy.

EDIT: Speeling

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 7, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

A doctor and senior Mormon who blames ungodly love for HIV, as well as a prominent campaigner against the Safe Schools program, have been elected to positions in the Victorian Liberal Party.

They are among at least five Mormons elected as party officers at last week’s state conference.

:laffo:

"How can we find broader spectrum appeal in the community after Australia rejected Tony Abbott's hard right reactionary positions?"

Vic LNP: Let's go totally fukkin insane.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

lol if ur not at the stage that any given image looks more or less like goatse

There are only two images on the internet. Loss and Goatse.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Starshark posted:

Just to add to what Dane was saying - if you're on the dole and you want to move somewhere where the rent is affordable, you might get done by Centrelink for moving to an area of lower employment which cuts you off for six months.

Jesus loving christ centrelink.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I like that corporal punishment guy proposes a death sentence for any crime more serious that stealing a car.

Very effective for rehabilitation that one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

In other news, a shark was made an honorary lifesaver today.

At least he's got the celibacy down pat.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Small businesses employ all the gormless nobodies that aren't valuable enough to do something important.

I thought that was Newscorp/IPA?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/993654727039533056

I don't think Tones knows what "Partisan" means.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THREAD UPDATE.

Steam is refunding me.

I'd send you back as defective too.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
When I worked as a minimum wage delivery driver the bosses always told us "If you're robbed just give them everything you've got, our money is insured, we don't want to see you hurt"

I really liked working for those guys.

But yeah, paying a 16 year old less than an 18 year old is bullshit, full wages for all workers.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

keen to hear all your thoughts on apprentice wages, i'm sure they should all be the same as people who are not apprentices. they're doing the same job right :shrug:

I too can't tell the difference between "higher wages for experienced workers" and "don't pay anyone below the minimum wage".

EDIT: And if the tradie is also making the minimum wage? Well then that's not an argument to cut the apprentice's pay, that's an argument to raise theirs.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 10, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

are you somehow under the impression that apprentice workers get paid at least minimum wage, hooman

No, I'm saying they should be. I'm saying the exact argument for 16 year olds working for less than adults should also apply to apprentices, I'm saying I'm consistent on the case of "being paid below the minimum wage for work is loving bullshit".

EDIT: And to talk to JBP's point, if that means the government has to step in to top up wages for apprentice training, or pay tradies extra to take on apprentices, I'm fine with that too.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 10, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

I agree here, nobody should be paid below minimum wage. I would go as far as to say that minimum wage should be higher across the board and indexed to CPI/median rent prices. I just don't think that paying children less because they're children creates opportunities to entrench child labour. If paying children less means paying them below a living wage, that's fuckin lovely and should be changed. It doesn't have any impact on whether adults get hired for jobs because as we've established, there are a whole range of industries that children aren't even allowed to work in because they (legally, physically, whatever) can't do some tasks that a person who is older than them can do.

Fair enough. Sorry, I misunderstood you, I thought you were saying that there should be lower wages for under 18s, not that it wasn't entrenching child labor. :kiddo:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mods namechange please to Van Badpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Queensland worst land.