Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
5 mins till Pell decision :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Oh god the De Rucci sign

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/abcmelbourne/status/991111820004941825

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pell will stand trial on at least one charge

Wallington has ruled that Pell will stand trial on at least one charge, relating to alleged offending at a swimming pool. :gay:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pell likely to stand trial on at least one charge

The court hears Pell is likely to stand trial on at least one charge. But many other charges have been thrown out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pell will stand trial on multiple alleged offences

The magistrate is still delivering her decision.

But my colleague Melissa Davey says Pell will face trial on at least multiple charges, from separate complainants.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pell formally pleads 'not guilty'

Pell has just been committed to face trial on another batch of charges.

The magistrate tells him he can plead not guilty or guilty at any point.

Pell tells the court he is not guilty. He has long denied the charges, but has now formally entered the pleas.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/990920534928965633

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

Todays Guardian is pulling both ways on discussion of sex work/prostitution in Australia and New Zealand, not to argue they shouldn't do a both sides coverage to cover bias but the content of them is at once saying they individually view their rights and successes, and at the same time being told they are the oppressed and slaves.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/may/01/the-future-of-sex-work-a-photo-essay

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/30/new-zealand-sex-work-prostitution-migrants-julie-bindel

fake edit: oh just realised the second is by Julie Bindel, a TERF

Some hot takes here:

quote:

Perhaps an inevitable conclusion is that carers working with physically disabled couples, where there is a medium to severe level of mobility impairment, are asked to facilitate sex between them – for example, the carer may be expected to insert the penis of one into an orifice of the other.

quote:

If prostitution is “work”, will states create training programmes for girls to perform the “best oral sex” for sex buyers?

quote:

If prostitution is “sex work”, then by its own logic, rape is merely theft. The inside of a woman’s body should never be viewed as a workplace.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

Not up to date, whats SW?

Star Wars

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I hear they do a good SWERF and TERF at the Coogee Bay Hotel :itwaspoo:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
*connects to VPN*

*resumes posting*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ASD, which also stands for Autism Spectrum disorder, which all of it's employees have, particularly the one assigned to monitoring this thread.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I was going to apply for one of those ASD analyst positions, but I'm not sure enabling fascists is a worthwhile price to pay for getting out of long term unemployment

Change from within

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
imagine getting owned by Sue Hickey. for fucks sake

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Breaking news
Cardinal George Pell is likely to face two separate trials as he fights historical sexual offence charges.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SquigglyRick/status/991227477027573761

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/991248447838666752

rofl

quote:

Sophie Mirabella was labelled a ‘bitch’ in wake of report about her

Schoolyard gossip labelled former Liberal MP Sophie Mirabella “a bitch” following reports she pushed a political rival, a court has heard.

Ms Mirabella is suing regional Victorian newspaper The Benalla Ensign and its former editor Libby Price over an article which reported she ‘publicly pushed’ Indi MP Cathy McGowan to prevent a photo being taken during the 2016 election campaign.

Today Ms Mirabella’s husband Greg told the County Court about his support of the lawsuit.

He said the couple had talked about the cost of litigation and the risk of making an enemy of a newspaper but said he was swayed by a conversation with his young daughter early last year.

“[She] came home from school one day and said ‘Daddy, (schoolmate) says mum’s a bitch’,” Mr Mirabella told the court at Wangaratta.

“I said ‘oh, why would she say that?”

He said his daughter told him her friend’s mother had said so.

“My friend’s mother said so because mummy punches people.”

Mr Mirabella said similar conversations happened three or four times.

“To me, Sophie was right - this was how she was going to be remembered,” he said.

Mr Mirabella referred to Liberal Party “folklore” about the infamous handshake between Mark Latham and John Howard in 2004 when describing discussions with Ms Mirabella following the publication of the article in April 2016.

“Often elections or events are shaped by one thing, one photo, one story, one headline,” he said.

Mr Mirabella was also asked about the effect of the litigation on his wife.

“It’s been extremely stressful, anytime there has been any correspondence or dealings with lawyers and stuff she can’t sleep,” he said.

“She’s become a Netflix addict.”

Lawyers for the newspaper claim the article was ‘substantially true’, Ms Mirabella placed her hands on Federal Minister Ken Wyatt’s chest and ‘pushed out of the way’ is a figure of speech.

The trial continues.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...5781e80f23ebf43

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 2, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TStew777/status/991435543467589632

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/991533372542402560

'!'

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sally McManus mains Junkrat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"Now I’m not asking for an apology, because I’m not that kind of a person, but…" Tony Abbott continued, "the very least" the ABC could do "is apologise" …

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

iajanus posted:

Apparently rent and utility bills are super cheap in her electorate.

Box Hill? lol no

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Still can't get over the Tasmanian Liberals being owned by Sue Hickey

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

I wish I had a personality quirk that made me harshly judge what other people do for entertainment and relaxation.

I like anime

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Next Saturday, the Liberal Party’s Victorian branch will discuss adopting a European approach to prostitution if it wins government in November’s state election.

A motion to the State Council by the Legend Park branch describes how “sexual services have surged into our suburbs in the guise of massage parlours” and “are now closer to our homes and schools than ever before”.

“Secure suburban havens in which to raise healthy and happy families are under increasing threat,” the motion reads.

To combat what they see as a foundational problem that puts “vulnerable women” at risk, the Liberal Party is pushing for the adoption of the “Nordic model”.

The Nordic model criminalises paying for sex but does not criminalise the sex worker. It would mean buying sex, pimping and keeping a brothel were all against the law. Currently in Victoria, it is only illegal for clients to solicit sex in a public place. The act itself is not illegal.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

In May 2017 an article by Andrew Burrell entitled, “Sorry Business,” was published in The Weekend Australian Magazine and on The Australian website concerning Andrew Forrest, founder and chairman of Fortescue Metals Group, the world’s fourth biggest iron ore miner.

If any readers of The Australian considered the article meant that Mr Forrest mistreated Aboriginal people of the Western Australian Goldfields or that he took advantage of this community, The Australian and Andrew Burrell apologise.

The Australian and Andrew Burrell accept entirely and acknowledge the significant philanthropic contributions Mr Forrest has made in a broad range of fields including, specifically, to the overcoming of indigenous disadvantage using Fortescue Metal Group’s Vocational Training and Employment Centre to equip thousands of indigenous Australians for employment in the mining industry.

Last year he and his wife Nicola also donated $400 million to a range of causes including cancer research, childhood education and eliminating global slavery, in what was the largest single philanthropic gift by a living person in Australian history.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/apology-andrew-forrest-ao/news-story/8d773bd6f0bfb08aeba23be6264dabf5

ok wtf is this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
also looks like NSW wants NAPLAN dead :yay:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-05/furries-fandom-tries-to-shake-stigma/9727842

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Remember when that mysterious white powder was found at the furry convention?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Where's the ring?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Are you having a nice day? Well i'm here to change all that.

quote:

Young, pregnant and homeless: Hobart’s rental market at breaking point

Rachel and her partner, Harley, are expecting a baby in October. But they’ve got nowhere to live, so for now they’re camped out in a tent at Hobart Showground.

The tent has three rooms. Right now, one is being used as a storage room. It’s crammed with bags and boxes. Soon, it’ll be the baby’s room.

“This is a storage room until we turn it into a baby nursery. Which is not really good in a tent,” Rachel told Hack.

Despite her circumstances, Rachel is upbeat.

“I’ve got my own fridge. And I’ve got power which I’m allowed to have, which I’m pretty thankful for,” she said.

As winter nears, temperatures plunge. The average temperature for May is around 15 degrees celsius. Rachel’s lived through a winter here before, and she’s not looking forward to it.

“There was a really really big storm, a big gust storm. And I couldn’t handle it,” she said.

“I was actually wearing the other side of the tent as a blanket when I was in bed because the whole thing just collapsed onto me.”

I put the pillow over my head coz I said to myself, if I can’t see it, it’s not happening. Just stay in a ball and you’ll be fine.
Rachel and Harley are among a handful of people who’ve sought emergency accommodation in the showground.

“There’s always been a homeless element in the park, but as you’d expect there’s complex issues. There were other factors at play, there were often drugs, alcohol, mental health issues,” manager Scott Gadd told Hack.

At its busiest in December, the showground housed 12 different families in tents dotted around the property, Scott said.

Working families seeking help
It was around that time that Scott noticed a change in the kinds of people who sought emergency accommodation.

When you see working families living in tents in the park, with kids trying to go to school, that had a big impact on me.
He said the showground is just the tip of the iceberg.

“For every one person I’ve got in here, there’s probably another 20 in greater Hobart somewhere - in a garage, couch surfing, under a tree, in a park. And that’s where the problem is,” he said.

Dr Kathleen Flanagan from the University of Tasmania said vulnerable people - like Rachel - have been struggling to find affordable accommodation in Hobart for a while now.

But she said the spotlight is well and truly on the issue now that working families are struggling, too.

“What we’re starting to see is even those people are having difficulty finding housing they can afford, and that’s when the political attention comes to bear,” Kathleen said.

So how did we get here?
Chances are, if you’re from the mainland you’ve probably been sold the message that Tassie is a beacon for affordable housing.

Well, it was. But that’s changed.

“We’ve seen a significant and rapid increase in rents,” Kathleen said.

And it’s not just one thing that got us here; rather a confluence of events that’s created an incredibly tight market.

Firstly, Tassie has done a stellar job of marketing itself as a tourist hotspot. But the ensuing economic boom took people by surprise.

People started investing in property and moving back from the mainland, and they all needed a place to stay, Adrian Kelly from the Real Estate Institute of Tasmania told Hack.

“What we’ve seen over the last 18 months, 2 years, is a massive surge of demand caused not only by people who want to buy an investment property, but there’s also a lot of people moving back home,” he said.

And the tourism boom took some houses that were earmarked as full time rentals, and put them into short-term accommodation like Airbnb.

Even a relatively small number can skew a market the size of Hobart.

“If there’s 300 properties taken out of the market, then that’s a lot,” Adrian said.

Then there’s the fact that state and territory governments across the country have been pulling out of social housing, and offering incentives for private landlords to fill the gap.

Rentals are businesses, and landlords rightly want to ensure they have the best and most reliable tenants they can have.

But that squeezes out people on income support, single parents, and people with complex needs - like domestic violence survivors and their families.

“You can’t have a market where house prices start to go up and up and up and have affordable housing,” Kathleen said.

Young people are especially disadvantaged
Young people, who have the least capital accrued, and the shortest rental histories to draw from, find themselves especially exposed in a market like that.

The rental market in Hobart is super tight right now.

“We have a vacancy rate last time I heard of I think 0.3 per cent,” Kathleen said.

Which means tenants have little bargaining power if their landlords decide to hike up the rent. Plus, they face difficulties in securing a place if they choose to go elsewhere.

“What a lot of people are doing is offering more than the asked rent. People have also been offering to pay double the amount of bond,” Adrian said.

In Tasmania, there’s no limit to how much landlords can raise the rent, as long as the final figure is in line with the rest of the market.

Adrian acknowledged that massive rent hikes do happen, though he said that’s relatively rare.

I’ve heard of a couple of cases where rents have gone up 30 or 40 percent.
“But I suspect in those cases they’re long-term tenanted properties and the rent hasn’t been put up in many, many years,” Adrian said.

Living in dangerous conditions
The result of all of this is that people are staying put in accommodation, even if it’s dangerous or unsuitable.

Like Hobart viticulture student, Dawn*.

Dawn and her fiance live in a three-bedroom house in a nice suburb of Hobart. The property itself is dilapidated and in urgent need of attention.

There are nails sticking out of the floorboards, broken cupboard doors, hobs that don’t work on the stovetop, inadequate fencing, tilting walls that are coming away from the skirting boards.

But far more worrying is the faulty electrics. In the kitchen there are scorch marks on the wiring where it caught alight.

Dawn reckons she and her partner have spent THOUSANDS on fixing up little bits and pieces that should have been sorted out by the landlord.

It was going to be savings for us to move overseas or potentially savings for getting married, but it’s gone. All of it is gone.

Dawn’s really worried about what will happen if she leaves this place without another one lined up, because even finding this one was a struggle.

“When we were looking for this place, I was still working full time as a nurse for a private medical company. My partner is a civil engineer essentially and… we were two weeks away from homelessness,” she said.

“Never in a million years did I think that I would be vulnerable or at risk of being homeless.”

The couple is going to stick it out until the end of this lease, and if things don’t change, they’ll consider leaving Hobart for good.

“Even though it’s our home and we love it and we don’t want to go because our friends are here, our family’s here, our clubs our sports our everything, there’s no opportunity for us to grow as a couple and potentially as a family,” Dawn said.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/young-pregnant-and-living-in-a-tent-hobart-housing-crisis/9712170

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

The ABC has leaked that Tomorrow budget will contain a tax cut for low and middle income earners of 10 dollars a week.

Low and middle-income earners will get tax cuts worth up to $10.50 a week in tomorrow's budget.

The ABC understands that while the measure will start on July 1, the tax break will come in the form of a bigger end-of-year tax rebate.

The tax relief will be delivered by an increase to the Low Income Tax Offset (LITO) which doesn't show up in weekly or fortnightly pay packets.

At the moment, the LITO is worth $445 a year for people earning below $37,000 annually.

It gradually reduces and cuts out completely when people earn $66,667 a year.

Treasurer Scott Morrison is expected to announce the value of the offset will more than double to $1,000.

It will be extended to people on incomes of about $90,000 a year, the ABC understands, and would still be phased out so that the more a person earns, the lower the rebate they would receive.

That would mean an extra $10.50 a week for those who receive the maximum benefit.

Giving a tax cut in this way is cheaper for the Government because it is targeted at low to middle-income earners and would not flow through to people on higher incomes.

It is tipped to cost the Government about $4 billion to $5 billion a year.

Federal Treasurer Scott Morrison has already warned the tax breaks in Tuesday's budget will not be "mammoth".

When Mr Morrison was pressed on whether this tax break would be dismissed as only worth a hamburger and a milkshake, he argued that it had been a long time since there had been real tax relief.

He said the Government had always said it would provide tax relief that was both affordable and responsible.

Choosing a less expensive way of offering a tax break means the Government can also return to surplus more quickly.

It had forecast a surplus in 2020-21, but is now likely to announce that it can be in surplus in 2019-20.

Well they've got my vote lol.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Gunna spend my tax cut on a new avatar for anidav.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

I’m gonna go refund more posters. I wonder what Valve will give me for JBP.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/34900/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MWhitbourn/status/993384335087583232

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/liamvhogan/status/993663159742251008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/chriskkenny/status/993625555340673025

https://twitter.com/PhillipCoorey/status/993662193135632384

I would blow Dane Cook