Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
There's a thing on tomorrow by the greens about rentals (and presumably how loving atrocious they can be).

The thing that shits me is that landlord's expectations are generally way higher than they'd have of their own house.

The majority of those "mum and dad investors" they talk about are not suited to be landlord's. They're too jealous and loss averse to their property, like loving Gollum with his precious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Power corrupts, especially very small amounts of power.

Yeah, my husband had I recently returned the keys to the house we rented from my in-laws. MIL as not happy about the state of the bathroom despite the fact the problems the bathroom had were either preexisting or due to age.

It's like... I'm not sure what you expected to happen here, the bathroom was grody when we moved in. The whole thing needed to be redone.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

DancingShade posted:

always wear your spiked leather jacket and sunglasses - even at night. Especially at night.

Yes.

Also, anyone else :allears: about how Victoria has sabotaged Melbourne's water supply with logging despite being warned?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

My boss at my old company had some genuinely crazy ideas about teachers. Like signing up to be a teacher means you should just accept unpaid overtime and if you were properly organised you'd average out to about 5 hours a day monday to Friday across the year. Oh and you should give up your nights and weekends For The Kids voluntarily for no extra pay.

I pointed out she was expecting teachers to put other people's children over their own families and she... Didn't see an issue with this. At all. And if you became a teacher you should just accept this.

(I nearly told her 200 years ago there were people who thought becoming a worker during the industrial revolution meant accepting the risk of dying in a horrifying industrial accident and thems the breaks)

There are many, many people out there who seriously think like this.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I don't think this person understands how this transaction is supposed to work...

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

1. I'd assume that $80 would apply directly to his own living situation
2. It's government, you gotta negotiate everything. I'd love it if he went high (i.e. double) so they could haggle it downward and still come out ahead, but :shrug:

Something I don't get - what if you live in a really expensive area? Are you SOL and get the same amount as people living in the middle of nowhere?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Starshark posted:

Age Pension is only slightly above starvation anyway. Hold a billionaire's children to ransom instead.

My grandma claims she lives well on it, but she also lives in somewhere mostly known for all the manufacturing jobs drying up and the area becoming horribly economically depressed. I imagine she'd be singing a different tune if she lived in Sydney or Melbourne.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Really? Really??

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Oceans swallowing seaside towns, locals want the government to buy back their properties, government has no plan to do so.

https://amp.watoday.com.au/national...508-p4ze3z.html

Edit: this is what they get for angering Poseidon.

froglet fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 10, 2018

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

My mean-spirited side wants to point out Lancelin's MP is from the Nats. They literally voted in someone who is a part of the coalition to do nothing about climate change, why should anyone bail them out when clearly this is what they wanted?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

BBJoey posted:

turns out geological realities do not respect the gazetting process

Also in 1964 I bet that block of land was like $12,000.

Assuming it's already gone under, half a century of housing in the one spot for the low low price of whatever pittance it was in the 60s is really not that bad.

(And if they somehow have no other savings it's going to be tough for me to empathise with them)

And it was Tones who said the thing about subsidising a rural lifestyle (I think).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It was Colin Barnett

Was it? I thought it was Abbott talking about remote indigenous communities.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Wow.

I'd say "what the gently caress, Australian?", but it's The Australian.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

The argument I've heard is that our society is ableist, so things could get substantially worse if you're disabled and want to live. As in, people think assisted dying is a cure-all (lol) and contributes to this idea disabled lives aren't worth living, so they shouldn't have to make buildings wheelchair accessible, fund disability services, etc.

There's also the risk of someone opting to kill themselves not because they want to die on an objective level, more that they want to die because of it society is poo poo and treats them so badly.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Whitlam posted:

I did quite a bit of work on the Vic Voluntary Assisted Dying legislation and the attitude of the disabled community is very split. Without wanting to overly generalise, the divisions are generally between those who were born with it vs acquired in later life, and those whose disabilities were more or less unchanging, and those with degenerative conditions.

That doesn't surprise me at all.

Although I'm abled, this is something I care about a lot (as in, I went to a community forum recently and asked a load of questions about what their provisions were to make a planned redevelopment disability accessible (so it's not like I'm just paying lip service)). I'm really hesitant to support assisted dying since I feel like there's a very real and unmitigated risk that individuals with disabilities will be put into situations where the lack of services and support makes them feel so hopeless dying seems like the only logical way out.

It's bad for society to present disability as only really tolerable if you're rich.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Whitlam posted:

Obviously each jurisdiction is different, but in Victoria if other factors are suspected, e.g. depression, the doctor can make psych referrals before authorising it.

Imo it's pretty lovely and hypocritical of the disabled community to tell other members, particularly those with degenerative conditions, that they're being disabled wrong.

As with any issue there's also a religious overlay that can't be ignored, especially for those who see it as God challenging them vs those who don't. For me, it's an issue of personal choice like any other. Don't want it? Great, don't get it. But don't stop other people. Also as part of the Vic legislation more money is being put into palliative care services, so it's definitely not going to be ignored or neglected (not saying anyone here has suggested it will be, jist one of the concerns I've heard).

Yeah, my main concern is that personal choices don't happen in a vacuum - I want to make sure people are adequately supported before making this choice rather than feeling backed into a corner. :)

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Australia phasing out cash transactions of >$10k.

So would this mean if I bought something for $15k, I couldn't buy it in a layby fashion and pay it off $5k in cash at a time?

There's going to be old people who will be soooo mad about this.

froglet fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 13, 2018

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

where are you getting all this cash?

This is a theoretical question, but let's assume I sold all my worldly possessions on gumtree (lol, as if I have anything worth >$500). Or I got married and my family gave me cash.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Today in ironies, RBA is pro-wage rises, just not for its own staff, so the RBA staff voted for industrial action.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Lid posted:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-16/legal-stoush-over-stolen-lamborghini/9759688

Am i being too judmental in thinking Mr Chellah is a scumbag?

No. If you buy something and it turns out to be stolen, you are obliged to return it.

In fact, when my bike was stolen I asked my lawyer friend what would happen if I went to find a similar bike on gumtree and found my recently stolen bike. I asked if I could ride it away with no consequences. His response was he'd prefer it if I didn't do that because it could get messy, but if I could prove without a doubt the bike was mine I could in theory jump onto it and pedal off into the sunset. Proving it, however, could be a problem, especially if the owner was also a victim (i.e. they had been sold the bike by the person who'd stolen it).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

WA planning Commission wants a second WA city.

Going to go out on a limb and suggest this is because encouraging the likes of Nedlands to increase their density has been like dragging teeth despite the fact an increase in density would actually prevent a lot of the problems the locals incessantly complain about.

Yeah, yeah I point at Nedlands a lot but it's literally the prime example of NIMBYism in Perth where the rights of wealthy landowners to "preserve their neighbourhood" have consistently superceded those of people who'd like to live there. Which would be fine if it didn't come to the detriment of a significant chunk of the population given how much car and public transport traffic is produced due to a lack of affordable housing near the university.

froglet fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 16, 2018

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

imagine living in a place called nedlands

land of the neds

Tithins kingdom, yes? ;)

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

whats the first city?

I wouldn't know, it sounds like a silly place.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

WA could do worse than develop freo into something bigger and better than it is already. There's already rail between the two right now, increasing the density and activity in freo would only increase the need for higher capacity and frequency of rail service between the two.

I noticed in that article it fails to mention how far away from Perth metro the second city should be. Putting it too far north would be silly for a part of the planet that is substantially under the thumb of climate change already (it's 26 degrees here, on the 16th of loving may in TYOOL 2018), so putting it south or east of perth makes more sense. Inland is silly unless it's connected to the main rail between Perth and Kalgoorlie, or connected on one of the old defunct WA rail lines in the south west.

Coastal there are more options but I noticed he said Not Bunbury which is funny as hell because i'm sure a whole bunch of people would agree, even the people who live in bunners already.

Long term I can imagine a push for sprawl all the way from Dunsbrah to Gerro along the coast and some nice transit in between. Lovely.

All of the Perth metro area is pro-density, just not in their specific neighbourhood. I mean, I personally would like to see more apartment buildings and turning some of the paved hellhole that is City of Stirling into parks, but that ain't ever going to happen.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

Yeah but with density there's a big difference between centralisation and decentralisation. If a new regional or satellite urban centre is built up then denser areas around and between that and Perth benefit by sending the population in both directions rather than just one direction in the morning and one direction at night.

There was this article from the State gov this week that addresses their long term plans:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-15/biggest-perth-urban-infill-developments-revealed/9762878

Eh I'm not too keen on creating another urban centre that'll enable even more suburban sprawl.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

Travelling by car isn't the only option :ssh:

Roe8 was a road project, there was never any plan to construct rail instead.

Edit: Additionally, the main reason it was wanted was due to congestion in the area... Which you could easily have reduced with passenger rail (e.g. metronet) rather than Yet Another Highway.

froglet fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 16, 2018

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

bigis posted:

I thought Roe8 was for commercial traffic like trucks, etc?

It was. From memory, the main complaint was the mixing of commercial traffic with other traffic was dangerous and causing congestion - loaded trucks are a lot slower to stop and start at traffic lights.

That whole area is a clusterfuck, though, it was never going to be solved by another road.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Sydney Anglican Archbishop Glenn Davies said the Anglican faith was changing its approach to teaching the message of God to appeal to the younger generation.

"Teenagers tend to sleep in on Sundays, that’s my experience anyway, so most of our churches have an evening or afternoon service for them to gather at," he said.

Okay that's pretty funny.

Also, I remember church becoming phenomenally boring after the age of about 12, coz suddenly you'd get pulled out of the fun kids activities and instead be expected to attend proper services, stand still, etc and it became super boring and way above the level of the average 12 year old.

Oh well.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Starshark posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-18/hospitality-workers-chase-millions-in-unpaid-superannuation/9772546

I'm a lot less sympathetic to small business owners than I used to be. Replace them all with Nandos.

I feel like some industries actually need to outsource all their payroll elsewhere. Clearly they can't be trusted.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

They can't be trusted because they don't want to pay people fairly. You think they'll willingly pay someone else to do it so they can no longer shaft their staff to line their own pockets?

Of course not, which is why they should be presented the option of quarterly audits of their books or paying others to manage it all for them.

A friend of mine works as an accountant, he reckons there's people out there who are so poo poo at managing their business affairs they should either get a regular job or just outsource everything.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

So a friend of mine is not only disabled, but also autistic, and for some reason is a supporter of the LNP.

When I pointed out the contradiction inherent to her views (she was particularly displeased with the changing definition of autism), she didn't really have any answers for me beyond "well Labor are still poo poo".

I pointed out the greens have always been for funding disability services. She said she wasn't going to become a single issue vote on that alone because something something drat hippies.

While conversation was a big WTF.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

hooman posted:

Clearly they're a support of the many nuanced policy positions of the LNP such as:

Yay Coal
Eat the poor
gently caress reffos?

EDIT: Realtalk though, ask "Why gently caress Labor?" make them assess that position and explain it to you. Even if you tell them you have your own reasons for disliking Labor and want to hear theirs.

She's immigrated here from the US. So I imagine it's because a lot of left-leaning Americans are still very far to the right in Australian discourse.

I pointed out that conservatives often have a lot in common with Greenies, but the discourse seems to often forget that. Like climate change - any conservative worth their salt would know the heat trapping properties of carbon dioxide, and anyone who was truly conservative would understand the risks inherent to climate change. There's multiple complex systems interacting with each other, it's practically impossible to mitigate against all the possible scenarios, and it's quicker and easier to enact a dramatic reduction in carbon emissions.

She also claimed Labor are grandstanders and want the picture of them being seen to do something rather than actually doing something. I pointed out that the NDIS is a Labor policy, and even if the LNP want to fund it fully, they can't without changing the definition of disability because caring for people with disabilities is expensive, the money has to come from somewhere, and most LNP donors will stop donating if the LNP have to either increase taxes or close existing loopholes to improve revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Only today did I hear about the Labor candidate running for Perth.

Is it just me or does he look like a stock photo of what a Labor politician should look like?

Check it out: https://www.alp.org.au/patrick_gorman

He really looks more cardboard cutout than real.

• Locked thread