Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

The Before Times posted:

look at all these hypocrites ITT who hate landlords but still pay one money for their lodgings

I hated landlords so much I became my own landlord. Free yourself from the yolk of landlord oppression and take up the yolk of bank oppression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Whitlam posted:

I'm not sure which part of his whole screed was my favourite. I think it was either when he suggested that teachers are wasting their time working at home, that they should work eight hours a day, or when he criticised them for their breaks "mirroring their students". The whole thing is full of contradictions that show how little he knows about teaching anything.

As a teacher I'd love to have my days restricted to 8 hours. That is my minimum day, and I'm rather efficient so I don't usually go too far over that except when it's test time, exam time, I've got some sort of day coming up where I'm not in so I need to prepare everything for a relief teacher.

Soooo... yeah. What he is actually suggesting is hiring a fuckload more teachers and giving teachers a lot more student free time during those 8 hours. He doesn't know that is what he is suggesting, but he's suggesting an increase in all education budgets by about a third to a half I would think. Maybe even just straight up doubling it, I know how much work some of those primary school teachers put in, up until 10 or 11 some nights. Is that going to come from the Federal Budget because I don't see the State governments doubling their staff numbers.

But if he took our holidays away I could see everyone quitting from stress, we need those holidays not only to prepare, but just to unwind. Holy poo poo. You don't know what it is like. It's not like 32 kids is a hassle all on their own to handle, we can manage that. It's the emotional baggage they pile on you. We had a spate of suicides a while back that went on for 2 years. Like... gently caress. Kids who are on special plans and in care because their parents tortured them as toddlers, sexually abused kids, people who self harm, kids who don't get any food from home. That holiday time is a health requirement.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

asio posted:

Then the school has a principal who cares more about uniforms than anything else and the kids can't read anyway so what chance do they have learning music

Look, if you're going to be illiterate, and generally fail at all things in life, at least be an illiterate failure who is able to wear a uniform properly. That'll come in real handy in prison.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

remember how winter soldier was like 'btw there are super nazis in all the world governments' and then nothing happened with that

such continuity

A nice touch of realism in an otherwise unbelievable universe that stretches the suspension of disbelief, really grounds you back in reality.

quote:

Greens MP Adam Bandt, who wants the payment increased by $70 a week, said he lived on the dole for about a year after finishing his law degree and moving to Melbourne.

“It helped me survive and make ends meet, but that was almost 20 years ago when the government was still treating unemployed people like human beings,” he told The New Daily.

Mr Bandt said he tried to live on Newstart for a week in 2013 after Labor’s then Families Minister Jenny Macklin said she could live on $35 a day.

“By the end of the week I was $80 in debt,” he said.

How does this make sense? He was on it for a week and by the end of that week he was $80 in debt, but he only wants it increased by $70?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I've heard of cats running for congress but this is just silly.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We need to get all Genghis Khan on this. that is, way bigger tents. Maybe also an army of horsemen making an example of the government.

Clearly the solution to the housing affordability crisis is using large areas of lawn area in all major metropolitan cities as established tent cities. None of these crappy 'camping' tent poo poo either. Full on yurts with dirt tracks and areas to graze their animals. Force the homeless to live nomadic lifestyles, in winter they shall move north to Brisbane, in Summer they shall seek shelter in Melbourne and Hobart. And those who have wronged the nomadic tent people? They shall be banished to Perth on the banks of the Swan River where they will be overseen by their overlords in the CBD.

And we can film it for a special on SBS.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Large companies don’t. There’s a balance that needs to be maintained. Small companies are great job creators and maintainers; giving them the ability to grow and create jobs is a good thing. Large companies are job creators, but once they reach a certain point, will try to cut jobs to make more money.

Dave the builder employing 10 guys deserves a tax cut so he can grow to 20 guys. MegaCorp with 10,000 employees will start to outsource the support portion of their company and save money either way.

What about Tina the cafe owner with 10 wait staff, if you give her a tax cut then she can afford to underpay 20 wait staff for the wage of merely 2 actual wait staff.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

bell jar posted:

i pity the people you hire with dyscalculia or anything else that precludes them from picking up tasks as quickly as you

Maybe people with dyscalculia shouldn't be working a till? Maybe someone without legs shouldn't be a kick boxing instructor? Maybe a blind person shouldn't drive a bus? I don't want to discriminate against the disabled, but, I'm just not sure.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

froglet posted:

Oceans swallowing seaside towns, locals want the government to buy back their properties, government has no plan to do so.

https://amp.watoday.com.au/national...508-p4ze3z.html

Edit: this is what they get for angering Poseidon.

I feel as if the locals might have a legal footing to sue the government for it's lack of willingness to combat global warming. Their love of coal has directly impacted upon their property prices. Real estate investors versus mining companies, who will win!!?!?!

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Maybe they're out of money? Turnbull had to bankroll a chunk of the last election, they've had a number of by-elections already and State Libs got stomped on. Maybe they're just not able to fund a campaign for a seat that was held by Labor? Especially with an election looming.

Is this just hopeful thinking?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

JBP posted:

I am this thread's eternal friend and only ever post from the heart. I wish you the best. Centrelink will probably be difficult to deal with though.

I have a job and centrelink is difficult to deal with. Shall I recount the experience of having a child and lodging the appropriate forms with centrelink?

Lodge the form, wait 6 weeks.
Ring up to find out what is happening as that is a long wait and the form also needs to be processed for medicare. 2 and a half hour wait on the phone.
Man on phone rudely proclaims the application was declined due to insufficient documents and we had been sent an email on mygov.
We had checked mygov every week, there is no email.
Also, the 'missing information' was a serial number that had been cut off on the document but is actually required to be typed into a section of the application. Meaning they weren't missing it at all.
Rang the complaints line, cause this guy was super rude and also no one had told us the application was declined, it still said 'submitted, pending' on mygov.
On the phone for an hour waiting.
Complaints line person is quite nice, checks and see no message was sent to us. Sorts a few things out.
We relodge the form, after mygov has a sad for a literal day and won't upload the document.
Ring centrelink to check the application is working properly, this time we're on hold for a literal 2 hours and 45 minutes.
They've got the document but the application is still listed as declined on their computer even though on the mygov screen it says pending. They resubmit the application.

Oh, and everytime you go into a centrelink office they tell you it would be quicker lodging things online. As if.

Periphery posted:

Yeah, so if your mental health deteriorates to the point that you are suicidal the only option to get out of looking for work is actually killing yourself? Now that's what I call a safety net!

The system is working as intended. :shepspends:

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

JBP posted:

May I share something truly beautiful with you all, my friends and colleagues?

And now, for dessert. Please enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/leigh.a.jorgensen

c'est magnifique

Awww, suspended sentence after 10 days jail? What kind of beauty is that? And even after the whole court case the guy isn't even remorseful.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

Gotta make sure we have enough white men in the Liberal Party. We don't want those women-folk, especially non-white ones.

The thing you need to understand about the Liberal Party, and the reason we don't have many women, is because we choose who we put forward based on merit. And this black woman, well, whilst she's proven herself a good member of parliament, compared to this untested city councillor? Ha, no contest. He clearly has more merit, just look at his skin. Did I say skin?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Yes and no. I wear a Grinch hat.

Doesn't forcing the staff to wear festive hats whilst simultaneously wearing a Grinch hat send a conflicting message?

Doesn't a Grinch hat send a conflicting message?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

It's vitally important that we have TOTAL COVERAGE of the marriage of the 5th in line to be head of state.

edit: wtf this poo poo is apparently on 4 FTA stations.

To be fair. Someone launches a metal can at the moon, that's a thing to watch. Someone spends 50 million on a wedding, that is also a thing to watch.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

Open the bloodgates :ussr:

Those bloody workers, demanding rights and safety.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

this broken hill posted:

the thing about anglo australia is that it is the most boring culture on earth. poo poo food, poo poo music, poo poo holidays, poo poo family dynamics, poo poo work ethic, poo poo language, poo poo everything you can possibly think of. why anyone would want to live in an enclave of that is completely beyond me

Look, say what you want about anglo australian culture but you know what?

I got nothing. I struggled for years with how cultureless my culture was. Actually, there is one good thing about my culture, the fantasy and science fiction novels are sweet. And I'm sure someone's going to come along and told me we stole those from someone else, but drat it, we steal everything from everyone else, that's the basic of my culture.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

If we’re honest, most of us would accept that a bad archbishop is a little bit like a bad father or a bad husband. Not withstanding all his faults, you find that he tends to do more good than harm. He might be a bad archbishop but at least he’s employing priests who are hopefully not assaulting children, while he is in fact a archbishop.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

If they're giving it away can I get a chunk of ABC2 and ABC3. I think that's where the real money making is, advertise direct to children and teens.

Or by 'give away' do they mean 'give to rich people'?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

That Toned Abs quote gets reposted pretty much every month with the context changed and every single time there’s a bite. I love it.

It's a pretty appropriate response to the words though. Cause jesus christ, I felt terrible just rewording it.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Leave it up to the conservatives to be upset about something that took place over 500 years ago.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

McGiggins posted:

I used to live with someone who did border patrol boat work, and he's been shot at by the boatfolk before.

I dont know what the solution to the boatfolk problem is, but maybe it would help their case if some of them didn't attempt to kill the people they're supposed to be able to intergrate with?

It might have something to do with the fact the refugees don't own the boat. The boat smugglers own the boat. Then 'border force' seizes the boat and people, blows their boat up, shoves them on a colourful Vietnamese fishing boat and then pushes them back towards Indonesia.

We're still using those boats by the way. Apparently we make 'em look all authentic by putting fake rust on them.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

The Labor party is bullying cash, they're playing politics with the legal system!*

*Said whilst under investigation for using federal police to undermine another political party

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

bell jar posted:

bold the whole thing

So either she's incredibly stupid, or incredibly guilty. Right? Otherwise none of this makes any sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I studied German history for a while and I had a very specific imagery in mind of what I thought had been posted. This is nothing like that, I wouldn't even call that a hook nose. I think someone just confused banker with jew and jumped the gun.

Honestly, Bandt should just come out and say 'this doesn't look anything like a Jewish charicature'. He's already got the mustard out of the jar, he isn't getting it back in now.

• Locked thread