Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

GoldStandardConure posted:

don't even get me started

still better than the rest though, and I'll be marching with them at May Day.

hello i'll be marching with the NTEU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Why respect furries less than trans people?

JBP also a transphobic piece of poo poo in an auspol shocker

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

I would have been, but a communist baby came out of my partner-comerade so I'm taking care of her.

The revolution has begun

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

So who else is marching on Labor Day in Bris?

Hopefully won’t rain during the march

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Vindicator posted:

I think the problem is that you're asking what might have just been a tongue-in-cheek question, "why respect furries less than trans people", and the unspoken implication of that comment is that, on some level, these people shouldn't be respected, or should be respected less, whatever. That's why you're getting the backlash - because if you have to ask why you're not respecting people (for whatever reason), you've just demonstrated that the notion of showing less respect for people, based on dumb reasons like their gender identity, is not something you've already figured is stupid and crass.

From my experience, people who get super-invested in identifying as gamers are typically way loving worse people than furries, and it has nothing to do with the trivial poo poo like how they identify themselves within a nerdy subculture and everything to do with how they treat other people.

lol JBP posts don't deserve this many words

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Gamer spotted

Inaccurate, I don't have time for games of the videoed variety

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lid posted:

The best GTA story was 4

The best game was San Andreas

Actually Vice City was the best

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The Before Times posted:

speaking of wage theft, hope everyone goes to their local Change The Rules rally!

really good turn out in brisbane today

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

also my heart is not bleeding for cafe owners loving their staff out of wages

the whole "but what's in it for me" from cafe owners is so your staff can actually afford to live rather than being effectively indentured workers

e: also the article is written by "anonymous", as if it's not propaganda for some dumb association for idiot capitalists or something

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

If hospo owners can't pay the legally defined wage, then the free market wins and they should close

sorry bucko that's capitalism

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Anidav posted:

A NEW plan to tweak the definition of autism could see thousands of Australians with significant support needs unable to access the National Disability Insurance Scheme.

The plan, being worked on by the National Disability Insurance Agency with researchers, will reverse the idea of an autism “spectrum” and place people into specific “subtypes” based on individual characteristics instead, The Australian reports.

The redesign will reportedly come into effect shortly before state and federal support programs for ­autism end next year, potentially leaving thousands with little or no support.

The Australian first reported at the weekend the NDIA was working on a secret plan to restrict the access of autistic people to the NDIS by preventing them from qualifying “automatically” for taxpayer funded support.

It’s part of a wider plan to rein in costs of the $22 billion NDIS.

Now, it has been revealed moves to tweak the definition of autism are being worked on by researchers from the Co-operative Research Centre for Living with Autism along with the NDIA.

The news comes after Australians were shocked by a horrific case where several teens have been charged after a defenceless 14-year-old Quinn Lahiff-Jenkinsa was allegedly assaulted by a group of teenagers outside a school in Melbourne’s northern suburbs.

The researchers are working to develop a “profile” of different types of autism based on “individual characteristics”, which would identify new “subtypes” of autism rather than acknowledging a “spectrum”.

It could potentially allow the NDIA to link specific support packages to the new subtypes.

The research adds weight to revelations at the weekend the NDIA is working on a plan to restrict the access of autistic people to the NDIS.

An NDIA staff member reportedly published part of the plan last week by updating a list of pre-qualifying conditions for the scheme and the update was then taken down the next day.

But The Australian reports the change removed Level Two of three levels of autism, the second most severe, from the list of conditions that automatically qualified for entry to the NDIS.

The NDIA has expressed concern about some people with autism being placed on the NDIS where “eligibility criteria have not otherwise been met”.

“While this work has been underway for some time, it ­remains at a discussion stage and no decision has been made as to whether the Lists should be changed,” a statement on the NDIS website yesterday said.

The reported changes come as the number of NDIS participants with autism rises.

About 142,000 Australians are currently in the NDIS. The percentage with autism has risen from 28 to 29 per cent in the past year.

ABS statistics reveal the number of Australians with Autism rose by 42.1 per cent to 164,000 between 2012 and 2015 alone.

This was actually really thought provoking, and I had to check out what Baron-Cohen actually said/might have said, because while I'm not completely read up on ASD research, the idea of diagnostic continuums/domains is something which I am actually working in (but obviously for a different disorder).

Anyway the tl;dr is that moving away from a "spectrum" style diagnosis is extremely unlikely to occur. A really good example of something which may eventually supplement traditional categorical diagnosis is the Research Domain Criteria, which breaks down a whole bunch of different processes (based on theoretical and empirical evidence, not just clustering) to assist in providing clearer pictures of normal and abnormal functioning. While we are at least a few years off, I suspect that in disorders such as ASD and schizophrenia, this might be the way of the future.

I've found the source article from the Arsetralian, and I think that the author has completely missed the point because the whole nosology thing is extremely nuanced.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I want to hear more from the McGiggins the creepy as gently caress eugenics/abort the untermensch poster

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

You Am I posted:

Labor bad, unions happy for families to be kept in detention centres.

Cool.

Just want to say that the NTEU is very anti concentration camps so it’s not every union

Got a lot of great comments from other unions on labor day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lol @ 7.30

"I'm a dumb boomer, where is my free money"

• Locked thread