Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

swimsuit posted:

theres still some hold-over places with (generally) older/private landlords that havent upped their prices with the market

Well now that prices have pulled back there are also places with holdover high prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

In an ideal world the dole would be reset to a percentage of the current average full time wage every year.
Of course politicians hate automatic things like that because they like to have the freedom to stomp poor people to bolster the budget so it'll never happen.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lid posted:

It estimates that 864 tonnes of illicit tobacco escapes duty each year.

DancingShade posted:

Based on the LNP/IPA track record of announcements this is a case of [citation needed] for any claims they make.

On anything really.

At 20g of tobacco per pack (I didn't go past the first google result to find this) that's 43.2 million packs per year.

Assuming the people buying chop chop get 100% of thier tobacco on the black market and are heavy smokers that works out to nearly 118k pack a day smokers which is 3% (13.3% rate on 24m population) of all smokers.

That number sounds very high especially when you tweak the overly generous parts of that calculation like only including adult population and changing it to 2-3 illegal packs a week.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Actually heres a better link even though the data is from 2015

http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/chapter-2-consumption/2-5-industry-sales-figures-as-estimates-for-consum

Says approximately 16000 tonnes a year of tobacco is sold here (if a cigarette is 1g). That makes their number 5% of all tobacco in 2015

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

drunkill posted:

Bob Hawke is in hospital.

Probably just for an IV of beer but we'll see.

If Bob Hawke were to steal the budget news cycle it would be the most amazing way for Turnbull to get hosed over yet again

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pinball Jizzard posted:

You seem to have missed the context of the comment. He’s comparing the 47% paid at $200k vs the 30% paid by business at $1m. More tax cuts are being given to business (which studies have shown doesn’t lead to job creation) whilst those earners in the low six figures haven’t seen a tax break in 10 years. Eat the rich and all that, but it’s absurd.

In real terms someone at $200k is paying around 35% tax overall.

I agree. Companies don't pay enough tax on profits

E;fb

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Large companies don’t. There’s a balance that needs to be maintained. Small companies are great job creators and maintainers; giving them the ability to grow and create jobs is a good thing. Large companies are job creators, but once they reach a certain point, will try to cut jobs to make more money.

Dave the builder employing 10 guys deserves a tax cut so he can grow to 20 guys. MegaCorp with 10,000 employees will start to outsource the support portion of their company and save money either way.

Profits are by definition not being used to grow the business *already*. Reducing taxation on them will not increase the amount that is invested into the business

You are just regurgitating brain-dead IPA talking points

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pinball Jizzard posted:

I want to write a long response but I’m on my phone and I don’t see myself opening a laptop to do it.

Hiring new employees isn’t just about the wages; transport, equipment, clothing/PPE, training and other overheads are direct costs. By giving tax breaks to small companies (<$2m) you give them the ability to invest more and grow faster. Most small companies working in the trades (and I’m sure other industries) would be limited more by these costs than by anything else.

PS. Cafes don’t work for this example. Nor do most shop-front businesses.

*edit* Lets use a real world example for my point. The big building companies in Sydney seriously struggle with tradesmen. There’s a lot of smaller trades companies that are so busy, they have no capacity to take more work, if costs were solely wage related, they’d hire more people and take on more work which pays the wages. That means there’s 2 possible causes, not enough qualified people OR not enough money to hire qualified people.

As a guide, Immigration’s Skilled Occupation List does not include builders or bricklayers on their list. This would suggest there are enough around to cover the workload without bringing people from overseas.

You didn't answer his question

He asked how a pre-tax expense is affected by the tax rate in any way.
Literally all of the things you listed are not affected by tax rates one bit because if they were spent that money would no longer be profit and therefore not taxed

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Anidav posted:

Better take down more anti Coalition articles, right guys?

To be fair to the coalition here: all of the other broadcast media organisations revenue have been plummeting too

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Stevefin posted:

It certainly feels like an election budget, Vote for us now and maybe we will give out our promises, and for our voter bases out there (Boomers) You will get a sweet tax cut! :v:

It's pretty pitiful compared to the cash splashes of the Howard era
I mean even the ruddbucks and pink batts were better, and they actually did a good job at stimulating demand

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

He's such a great opposition leader

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

fiery_valkyrie posted:

From the mouth of the potato himself

Yes, I too think it absurd that police should be required to have a reason to ask you for your ID.

And if you aren't carrying id they should be able to taze you for fun

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:laffo:

I'm sure I've posted this before, but during the ABC Rudd/Gillard doco they talked to a guy who was a "right-wing union leader" and it was just... guh?

So he was from the SDA?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Senor Tron posted:

How on Earth does this hip young lad not know how to do a basic Google search to discover this is a well known thing?

The conservative brain rot has set in early

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Hot take

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lid posted:

good luck trying to get autism rewritten as a tier system rather than a spectrum tyhough, you'll only be opposed by doctors, psychiatrists and psychologists and the whole basis of autism science.

Don't try and bring science into lnp policy debates

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Isn't that how you would describe fwa for non EBA employees?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

hooman posted:

Guys guys, self policing is totally going to work this time!

:wrong:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

One day I’ll explain to people what a margin of error is.

Considering the libs claimed victory after the previous +1 poll I think it's pretty fair to count this one as a negative for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

You Am I posted:

I hope the decision from the Banking Royal Commission is to "just burn the whole system down"

Renationalise CommBank
Ban private bank ownership

• Locked thread