Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Disclaimer: fatty

There's more to it than just calories in and calories out, which isn't to say the laws of physics bend and warp around fat people but rather that different body compositions and conditions react to the presence of excess unused sugars in different ways. It's established now that current or ex fatties have to maintain a caloric deficit for basically their whole lives to keep weight off compared to a person who had never been fat. Key points I remember were brown fat activity and the presence of empty fat cells making storage efficient disposal versus the body having to create fat cells in skinny people so it was more efficient to dump it other ways.

In my case I blame parental neglect, I couldn't buy my own coke but it was always there and we rarely had vegetables or proper meals, and at 13 she stopped offering school lunch food except mushasi bars because I was "fat" (I went through puberty super young so I wasn't fat I was lady shaped). So think a targetted education and tax strategy on baby and child foods production and advertising would be a good start. And more focus on parental education. And mental illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
There's no such thing as healthy smoking or even really healthy drinking, it's all poison, not doing a thing is a simple message. Healthy eating is a trickier lesson because we all have to eat and besides not all fat people are living fat on a diet of KFC and cola. It's the differences person to person that muddy the healthy eating fat lifestyle waters when I can cook everything from basically raw ingredients and be fat while some shitlord can eat ALDI ready meals and be a stuff breeze away from blowing away.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

bell jar posted:

hmm, a user called thatfatkid advocating against fat people, i wonder if they are serious at all

Probably, but there are plenty of people who actually believe that logic. Thin people bootstrapped themselves to their fine physical form and are not at all a product of the decisions their parents made, where they live, etc

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
My BMI is 30 and it makes me chuffed

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Starshark posted:

So Alan Jones is being sued for a record-breaking 4.8 million and there's a fairly good chance he's going to have to pay out (even if it isn't 4.8 million). But gently caress that, look what this dork turns up to court wearing. He must've irritated his stylist.

Nah. It's a practical and strategic choice for a rich old man to turn up to court looking like a doddering pensioner.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Teachers need to hang on to their rights with both hands if not more. When right-wing shitstains are in charge they're a favourite target.

I don't know how to communicate to the world how much work a teacher does without knowing or being a teacher. They should straight up do a "My Teacher Rules" show or something like that to show the long hours and stresses that teachers go through.

The pop psy my teacher mate put forward that I think nails the problem is that everyone immediately recalls the worst teacher they ever had and it is so viscerally bad they ironically can't get past the feeling to realise why good teachers are so important.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Calm down, Malcolm, nobody needs to die here.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It also allows fine grained priority. E.g. the state in general needs the road lines repainted, so there's a road painting blitz project, but your lines are fine and you really need play areas for growing family populations and you have to wait for the state priority to reach "parks: playground equipment" on their Todo list.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

The Before Times posted:

rent assistance is pitiful though. You hit the maximum of $89 assistance if you are paying $240 per fortnight (for sharing. if you're renting outright then it's $189 maximum assistance at $289 per fortnight rent).

Those numbers alone should show how out of date everything is. $145 a week rent is insanely out of touch.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/AdamBandt/status/993787987623272448

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

bandaid.friend posted:

Why did Bill call the ICAC "eye-cack"

I always read it as eye-cack too, don't know if I heard it spoken out loud before then.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
You can still deposit cash in a bank account. This isn't to stop wedding gifts and downsizers, it's to make it harder for people hoarding and laundering cash by turning up to the Jeep dealership with a bag full of money then using it as a trade in/selling privately a few weeks later because their 'wife didn't like it' (actual story from a guy Adam used to work with, he imported/exported god knows what from China and was 100% only working for payg subterfuge)

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Considering the stuff they're just noticing in the budget today like SMSF audits being reduced I suspect it's designed to force those people to put their money back into the definitely trustworthy banks.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

The Before Times posted:

The piece of poo poo who murdered Tialeigh Palmer got life in prison.

Which one?

that's not a genuine question it's black humour about the whole foster family being in cahoots over what happened

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I guess it's one way to make sure we get the June thread ready on time

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Auspol June: "No, John. You are the derros" And then John was a refugee.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
LNP on Home Affairs powers expansion: Nothing to Hide, Nothing to Fear!
LNP on appearing in court or senate to answer questions on their office operations: HOW DARE YOU, I WILL NOT ANSWER THESE SHAM ACCUSATIONS, THE VERY NERVE

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Paywalled.

Copy and paste it or give us the headline so we can google it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Can whoever is doing June use this as reference to LNP cheers

https://youtu.be/cYSrjnjpzz0

• Locked thread