Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Fatshaming is bad, but shaming idiot goons ITT for conflating it with "acknowledgement that an obesity problem exists in Australia and many other western countries" is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
In 2018 the only thing that unites the left is our unifying tendency towards nihilism and self-harm.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Speaking of fat people, my work local (Varsity) has entered into a partnership with Perth entrepreneur Hamdog inc for the May burger of the month.

Hamdog

TL;DR I'm the fat people

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GrandMaster posted:

If you don't already listen to synthwave, you should, the perfect hacking soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAYfJckSEN0

I love synthwave of all kinds, but I'm fully expecting it to be ruined by fedora wearing toxic nerds who have to make everything they enjoy THE THING THEY IDENTIFY WITH in short order.

see also: vaping, video games, comic books, sci fi.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Resident Idiot posted:

It seems the Member for Perth is retiring to legitimately spend time with his family:

https://twitter.com/political_alert/status/991486391929323520?s=19

Maybe he should become a teacher, I guess.

This will trigger a by election I guess.

Seeing as most of the better candidates got pulled into state parliament by the recent greens/ALP landslide, I'm wondering if they have anyone talented to step up.

I know the liberals will preselect the same moronic born to rule Mirabella wannabe they always seem to float in this seat, so whoever gets it gets it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Here's an idea,

Lets gently caress off council elections and make local governments public servants who we can sack when we identify corruption

Sure the Liberals won't do it, but it'll stop half the countries councils being run by rent seeking shitheels

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

Only half?

Where are these mystical non rent seeking councilpeople?

Vincent?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Where we're at is basically most of the bad aspects of communism without the wealth sharing bits

Gotcha

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

norp posted:

Well now that prices have pulled back there are also places with holdover high prices

Given the kinds of denialist rent-seeking shitlords that tend to gravitate towards renting out apartments as an income stream, I'm guessing this is realllll loving common occurrence.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Don't stop there

Dissolve all of them

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The biggest downside I can see right now is that local councils usually tender stuff like plumbing, gardening, maintenance etc to local small businesses, which is good for the area, and good for the businesses as it provides a steady stream of convenient work. It also guarantees a particular level of service, as lovely workmanship in their area of operations is going to harm their reputation and impact their ability to bring in new customers. Sometimes councils grant tenders to large enterprises, or businesses from out of the area, in order to save a small amount of money. This is bad, because it ends up costing the local economy, and usually results in a lower level of service (as these businesses can afford to piss off the local residents if it saves them a few bucks).

Running this stuff at the state level would probably increase this tendency, with the added bonus that the state body is likely to engage with larger, publicly listed companies who largely engage in tax evasion, in order to reduce the logistical overhead of managing multiple contracts.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Libertarians are just right wing assholes who want to do something that's currently illegal.

That's basically the sole difference these days.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Fyi, these criticisms strongly echo the logic gymnastics of Republican-style Hillary Clinton talking points.

Just admit you're a communist and go join the SALTies already, rather than wasting all this energy trying to convince us that the greens are literally Hitler.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Recoome posted:

hello i'll be marching with the NTEU

I would have been, but a communist baby came out of my partner-comerade so I'm taking care of her.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Nicko! Cousin! Sorry to interrupt your 9th consecutive dumb poo poo ferry mission but it's time to go bowling,

(GTA 4 was boring as poo poo)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

naeka posted:

Some personal experience the brand I smoke isn't sold in Australia so I have to buy from websites in Indonesia and i'd say about 50-60% of the time customs don't pick them up and they don't get taxed.

Feels like I won lotto everytime I get a carton for 20 bucks.

Man if the lotto paid out that often, all our housing problems would be over.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Recoome posted:

If hospo owners can't pay the legally defined wage, then the free market wins and they should close

sorry bucko that's capitalism

No see, if the market were just a little bit free-er,

*Ignores last 50 years of evidence from the US that this won't help*

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It's sad that a not-insignificant chunk of voters seem to vote with their party no matter what, so a crazy nut has a decent chance of getting elected if they can just weasel their way into the party.

You just described most of the liberal back bench, and Corey Bernardi.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Dude McAwesome posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-07/peter-costello-says-well-be-dead-before-national-debt-paid-off/9736158

Peter fuckin Costello calling people earning between $100k-$200k the "forgotten people" who are badly in need of tax relief. What loving planet does this cretin live on?

Also, I love how he says someone earning 200k is paying 47% tax. Deliberately applying the top marginal tax rate to the entire amount. gently caress these horrible pricks.

Based on his performance and that of his PM as treasurer in their respective governments, I would not be shocked if he actually doesn't know how marginal tax rates work.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I just can't wait for Fairfax an the ABC to hand the coalition another election by a bees dick, so we can have another 3 years of clown show government.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Just found myself looking at a few comments threads on various news articles on FB while waiting for a noisey child to go back to sleep.

We're probably hosed. I know these things are populated by the loud and opinionated, and might not represent the majority; but this country full of uneducated, pigheaded Hard Knocks idiots is going to keep putting the Liberals in power until there's nothing left.

Unless we address the structural damage caused by a sustained assault against public education by both major parties, people are going to keep voting against their interests, because Sunrise or Today Tonight ran a fear peice about a thing, and now they're feeling personally attacked by feminism/Islam/the poor.

Ugh.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The margin is also based on 2016 results I assume - WA went DEEP RED in 2017, so they're probably working based on polling, which could put the margin even higher.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's funny that even 80 year old arts profs are resigning themselves to the fact that younger people prefer to access lectures online (so they can also work and schedule courseload around it), but I'll bet if you ask the Archbish about streaming services online, you'll be looked at like you just told him that vampires are real.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Fuckers need to go outside.

Childish Gambino right again

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lol Murdoch Uni in Perth has a Freehills lecture theatre.

IIRC they also funneled about 2.2M in public money to them via a loving stupid civil suit against the NTEU which they eventually dropped because it was pants on head stupid.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Apparently according to Freehills, putting up flyers isn't organising, it's "coercion"

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I wonder if this is the dumb loving move that finally makes Bishop lose her cool and nut him square in the face at last.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

this broken hill posted:

elton john wasn't invited to the royal wedding

What about Ed Sheeran

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I thought that was Rupert Grint

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

this broken hill posted:

ed sheeran revolts me

If you feel so strongly about an English kid with a guitar when people like Rupert Murdoch, hell even the rank and file Liberal party walk the Earth, then maybe you need some perspective in life.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I can't wait for Tony Abbott's impending editorial in the Arse explaining that Actually, Kids Are Inherently Bad and Totally Deserved It

edit: A bad Archbishop is kind of like a bad father,

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

gucci bane posted:

ah yes, the famously neocon australian public service

Lol I encourage you to do any sort of casual research into the documented behaviour of coalition appointees to CBP/Borderfarce, also former members of the ADF now employed by Wilson to work the camps.

These people aren't Sue from accounting who minutes the local CPSU branch committee meeting; there are shitloads of true believers drawn to these roles who will absofuckinglutely white ant any attempt to introduce accountability, or stop the rapings.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
As a counterpoint, it is also incredibly likely that there are bodies buried all over the joint, and disgruntled former employees or servicemen just waiting for the ability to rat on Morrison/Dutton without fear of hyperpartisan reprisal.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bandaid.friend posted:

Today the Telegraph makes an implied threat. If two people protest at one of her talks they'll be on about leftist violence

Lol look at this literal terrorist.

Imagine if she were anywhere else on the political spectrum/non-white. She'd be banned from entering the country.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Have you ever considered that perhaps, the belligerant people with guns on the people smuggling boats are far, far more likely to be the people smugglers, rather than the desperate people who paid their life savings and probably sold everything they owned bar a few changes of clothes and maybe a mobile device to gain safe passage?

loving CHUD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean, if they're locking the passengers up indefinitely, what the gently caress do you think they're doing to the people trying to make bank bringing them here.

I'm thinking watery/islandy graves all the way down.

• Locked thread