Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can only assume Monster Hunter either:

A) Makes such an unholy amount of money they're afraid to Capcom all over it or
B) Is headed by people who have a lot of blackmail on higher-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The 2 rematches thing is absolutely ridiculous.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Capcom is undoubtedly very pleased with MHW's financial success but probably bitter that they had to spend more than $20 to develop it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah it fuckin sucks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Capcom is undoubtedly very pleased with MHW's financial success but probably bitter that they had to spend more than $20 to develop it.

Mh is separated from capcom proper for exactly that reason

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

I think the sf collection was outsourced tho.

That still doesn't stop Capcom from giving Digital Eclipse too small of a budget or an unrealistic timeframe. A lovely contract is going to make even the best developer look bad.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Colonel posted:

capcom's always been a company with talented devs and barely functional management and over the last few decades a lot of that talent splintered off into new companies like platinum and inti creates. i wouldn't be surprised if the street fighter 30th team was understaffed, underqualified for what they were doing, rushed by management who didn't really care about the quality of the final release or a mix of all three

honestly the funniest thing is when keiji inafune tried to present himself as an underdog ex-capcom game developer akin to hideki kamiya or the people at inti creates when he was part of capcom's rear end-backwards dysfunctional upper management

Capcom has nowhere near the amount of insane devs and ideasmen that were on hand way back in the early 2000s. Think back to poo poo like Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4, Okami, Devil May Cry, Killer7---who made those games? Guys like Shinji Mikami, Suda51, and Hideki Kamiya. All 3 of them left to found Platinum/Grasshopper/Tango and basically work with people like Nintendo, NIS, and Bethesda. A lot of what made Capcom so nuts was the presence of those guys who were part of Clover and Little Devils. Now all those guys make poo poo on their own.

This doesn't completely explain why the fighting game division is so loving bad, though; you can blame a bad marketing team, dev teams that took shortcuts, and overall sloppy laziness/willingness to farm out ports for that. MVCI is bad on its own for those reasons but SFV is a whole nother story of mixed nuts depending on who you ask.

It was funny though when Inafune was called out by Kamiya as "a businessman, not a developer" because Kamiya is def the complete opposite: a guy who stumbles on mechanics by wonderful accidents and got a job initially because he drew level designs on paper. It's kind of crazy how much he contributed to Capcom, especially when his mentor was Mikami and was given chances even after RE2 had to be partially scrapped and rebuilt.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FanaticalMilk posted:

That still doesn't stop Capcom from giving Digital Eclipse too small of a budget or an unrealistic timeframe. A lovely contract is going to make even the best developer look bad.

They never got to patch the 3DS MML collection to my knowledge, where US Megaman 5 is cripplingly slow or something like that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hoping for a Soul Calibur VI release date.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

They never got to patch the 3DS MML collection to my knowledge, where US Megaman 5 is cripplingly slow or something like that.

all the more reason to play gameboy mmv instead

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

you could say B

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

homeless snail posted:

you could say B

Ah yeah, I think I knew that at one point.

Black sheep of the family I guess.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I found Planet Robobot on ebay in box for $20 without a picture in the listing and amazed that it actually just arrived safe and sound and doesn't appear to be a bootleg at all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I found Planet Robobot on ebay in box for $20 without a picture in the listing and amazed that it actually just arrived safe and sound and doesn't appear to be a bootleg at all.

open it up to find a copy of grand theft auto san andreas for the ps2 with a kirby mod pre-installed

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

robobot owns

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What exactly happened to Capcom? I've heard that SF30 is exactly as disappointing as Max Dood suggested it would be, and it feels like they've been on a spiral for some time now. It also feels like a compilation of some of the best games your company ever made should be a slam dunk success.

I remember when this company was synonymous with quality in the 90's. Is there one thing to be pointed to as a reason?

- Brain drain because the company stopped making certain genres, such as JRPGs, beat em' ups, or fighters
- Spend Monster Hunter profits on mobile game developers and fail to make a hit
- Brain drain because Capcom's management is a dynasty and you have to marry into it if you want to move up the corporate ladder
- Schism and miscommunication between Capcom Japan and Capcom USA. Capcom USA holds the Street Fighter ip rights since Capcom LTD wasn't willing to fund fighting games
- Brain drain because management doesn't want to spend a lot of money on making games
- Most of Capcom's new staff are fresh college recruits with no practical development experience since they're having difficulty retaining internal talent and poaching from other publishers
- Brain drain because your smalltime franchise got cancelled and a AAA series needs code/art grunts

Saint Freak posted:

The producer of Monster Hunter is the CEO's son and the COO's brother. He just got promoted with a fancy new title.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Hoping for a Soul Calibur VI release date.
Same. I dunno why the latest Tekken didn稚 click for me. I知 a fan of the series. Really enjoyed KOF14 though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Where's Voldo?! :supaburn:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sunning posted:

- Schism and miscommunication between Capcom Japan and Capcom USA. Capcom USA holds the Street Fighter ip rights since Capcom LTD wasn't willing to fund fighting games

:psyduck:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

all the more reason to play gameboy mmv instead

Would have been cool if they didn't lose the source code to that remake collection on GBA.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Where's Voldo?! :supaburn:

I won't be fully sold on SCV until they show Voldo and Lizardman

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

i hope you enjoy this one more than previous kirbs!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

i hope you enjoy this one more than previous kirbs!

Thanks!

Yeah, I got it because the series has underwhelmed me and this is the one people seem to praise the most around here. I've been playing Triple Deluxe this week which I've had on my 3DS for awhile because it was cheap at some point and it's...fine. It's has some creativity and fun stuff in it but something about it still isn't fully grabbing me. I think it's the pacing. I know Kirby is a puffball and it makes sense for everything to be kind of floaty a mid paced but it just always feels like I want the game to move slightly better than it does. Still not bad or anything and I'm only in the third world but so far it's keeping my Kirby opinion where it already is.

It is funny to go back to a 3DS game from the time when they were still really trying to sell the 3D aspect of it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Two questions:
1. How is The Banner Saga?
2. What is The Banner Saga?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Two questions:
1. How is The Banner Saga?
2. What is The Banner Saga?

I don't know the answer to 1 but the answer to 2 is a norse turned based strategy RPG with a hand drawn art style.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

God I, giving a huge presentation in like forty minutes and I知 super nervous, any tips

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Jay Rust posted:

God I, giving a huge presentation in like forty minutes and I知 super nervous, any tips

Remember to breath and pace yourself and you'll be fine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Jay Rust posted:

Beat off in the bathroom and, if possible, try to take a huge dump. You will feel incredibly relaxed and calm the whole way through. Thank me later.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I don't know, theres scuttlebutt they're doing something with the Outbreak games! (Dies inside knowing it wont happen)

WHoa is there? [in merchant voice] Got a link?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

Picture yourself naked in front of the audience.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I think the sf collection was outsourced tho.

Itwas handled by people who did megaman collections yeah.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

close your eyes and imagine yourself giving the presentation, except you accidentally say a bunch of slurs, now open your eyes and say "wow glad I'm not that guy"

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

What is the topic?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the SF30 collection has weird emulation issues that 99.9% of people won't care about, and the 0.1% that do would never stop playing on arcade hardware anyway, so it doesn't really matter. the ragequitting sucks but happens in every game, and the casual lobbies rolling the dice on what you play is dumb but just don't join/make a casual lobby with more than one game.

the thing i think that they boned up bigtime was the rematch limit. If you can only play 3 games with someone, in a game as fast as Super Turbo, you will spend more time in menus than actually playing the game. the people who like to play ST on fightcade, for example, will sit there and play 50-100 matches straight like its nothing. if you cant even copy that basic experience, which is available on a free platform 2 dudes made years ago with better netcode to boot, you hosed up.

also every game should be playable online.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

What is the topic?

Bicycle paths

Twenty-five minutes now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Really disappointed with all the posters itt giving you joke advice but I repeat: whack off in the bathroom before you go on.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Deck someone in the first row to establish dominance over your audience.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Think of all the ways it could go wrong. You could get dry mouth, your voice could crack, your slideshow could bug out, you might get heckled, you could space out and repeat yourself, you could lose the audiences interest. Really, there's hundreds of ways to gently caress this up.

You'll probably do fine though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Beat off in the presentation and, if possible, try to take a huge dump. You will feel incredibly relaxed and calm the whole way through. Thank me later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Try having already prepared an extremely compelling presentation ahead of time

• Locked thread