Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just beat the final boss of Hat in Time and is the ending seriously "all the villains gang up to beat up a little girl while chanting 'get lost', and this is a good thing"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I'm playing Shatae Half-Genie Hero and it's a cool retro game. Too bad the sequel apparently dropped the pixel art, tho I'll probably try it anyway.

Half-Genie Hero is the most recent game in the Shantae series. It came out in 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

lucia is nothing if not an affirmation of the part of me that hates anime

I said it in the RPG thread and I'll say it again here

the ojousama ohoho laugh is one of the most annoying sounds humans are capable of producing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad Monster Prom is getting the praise it deserves. I've been holding that torch since I played the demo at PAX. Unfortunately my friends are all lame-os who don't get its humor so I'm stuck with doing single player

If this avatar wasn't still pretty new I'd get a Miranda one. Still might.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Saint Freak posted:

Do it coward

where did you get the animated polly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

What about it is so special?

It's by a large large margin the funniest video game I have ever played

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

Better d-pad than the switch :(

Honestly the only D-pad I like is the dualshock's

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
are double avs done by just puting an [img] tag in the title text or do you need to bug a mod to do it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

That slime/ghost girl double av has kind of a 3d effect going on for me but maybe I'm losing my mind

The people in the background moving gives it a kind of parallax effect

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

glam rock hamhock posted:

No one commented on my new av (I really like it at least)

I like it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The plot of Golden Sun is cool on a conceptual level but doesn't stand up to scrutiny and my middle-school self was not capable of scrutinizing so I liked it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Expect My Mom posted:

im pregnant cat

congrats when are you due

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah she does look a little stockier but because women in media are usually on the extreme end of slenderness, a completely normal amount of stockiness can look weird, especially to someone with toxic views on gender

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Attractive people in media is one of those weird things where what people want (to look at pretty people) and what benefits society (realistic depictions of people so expectations don't get hosed up) are at odds

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 2, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's also harder to make a less-attractive character than a generically pretty character because things like facial asymmetry and skin imperfections and weird-looking hair and poor-fitting clothes are harder to draw or render

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chumbler posted:

Just like female protagonists.

Well my point wasn't "and this is why we shouldn't have average-looking characters" it was more intended as an explanation of why characters tend to be attractive unless steps are specifically taken to make them uglier, even if the artists didn't set out to make them attractive

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Reminder that video games turned shelob, the spider monster from lord of the rings, into a sexy dark-elf looking babe because of loving course

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The story they came up with for sexy shelob is dumb as poo poo anyways so

Don't play lotr video games imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I refuse to play the game but the interviews with the devs on the shelob stuff are so monumentally dumb and miss the point so spectacularly I almost wonder if the articles are just extremely elaborate trolls

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This isn't really relevant at all but I want everyone who hasn't read the silmarillion to learn about Shelob's cool-rear end spider mom

The Silmarillion posted:

There, beneath the sheer walls of the mountains and the cold dark sea, the shadows were deepest and thickest in the world; and there in Avathar, secret and unknown, Ungoliant had made her abode. The Eldar knew not whence she came; but some have said that in ages long before she descended from the darkness that lies about Arda, when Melkor first looked down in envy upon the Kingdom of Manwë, and that in the beginning she was one of those that he corrupted to his service. But she had disowned her Master, desiring to be mistress of her own lust, taking all things to herself to feed her emptiness; and she fled to the south, escaping the assaults of the Valar and the hunters of Oromë, for their vigilance had ever been to the north, and the south was long unheeded. Thence she had crept towards the light of the Blessed Realm; for she hungered for light and hated it.

In a ravine she lived, and took shape as a spider of monstrous form, weaving her black webs in a cleft of the mountains. There she sucked up all light that she could find, and spun it forth again in dark nets of strangling gloom, until no light more could come to her abode; and she was famished.

The Silmarillion posted:

A cloak of darkness she wove about them when Melkor and Ungoliant set forth; an Unlight, in which things seemed to be no more, and which eyes could not pierce, for it was void.

The Silmarillion posted:

Then the Unlight of Ungoliant rose up even to the roots of the Trees, and Melkor sprang upon the mound; and with his black spear he smote each Tree to its core, wounded them deep, and their sap poured forth as it were their blood, and was spilled upon the ground. But Ungoliant sucked it up, and going then from Tree to Tree she set her black beak to their wounds, till they were drained; and the poison of Death that was in her went into their tissues and withered them, root, branch, and leaf; and they died. And still she thirsted, and going to the Wells of Varda she drank them dry; but Ungoliant belched forth black vapours as she drank, and swelled to a shape so vast and hideous that Melkor was afraid.

The Silmarillion posted:

Together they went on, for Morgoth could not elude Ungoliant, and her cloud was still about him, and all her eyes were upon him; and they came to those lands that lay north of the Firth of Drengist. Now Morgoth was drawing near to the ruins of Angband, where his great western stronghold had been; and Ungoliant perceived his hope, and knew that here he would seek to escape from her, and she stayed him, demanding that he fulfil his promise.

'Blackheart!' she said. 'I have done thy bidding. But I hunger still.'

'What wouldst thou have more?' said Morgoth. 'Dost thou desire all the world for thy belly? I did not vow to give thee that. I am its Lord.'

'Not so much,' said Ungoliant. 'But thou hast a great treasure from Formenos; I will have all that. Yea, with both hands thou shalt give it'.

Then perforce Morgoth surrendered to her the gems that he bore with him, one by one and grudgingly; and she devoured them, and their beauty perished from the world. Huger and darker yet grew Ungoliant, but her lust was unsated. 'With one hand thou givest,' she said; 'with the left only. Open thy right hand.'

In his right hand Morgoth held close the Silmarils, and though they were locked in a crystal casket, they had begun to bum him, and his hand was clenched in pain; but he would not open it 'Nay!' he said. 'Thou hast had thy doe. For with my power that I put into thee thy work was accomplished. I need thee no more. These things thou shalt not have, nor see. I name them unto myself for ever. '

But Ungoliant had grown great, and he less by the power that had gone out of him; and she rose against him, and her cloud closed about him, and she enmeshed him in a web of clinging thongs to strangle him. Then Morgoth sent forth a terrible cry, that echoed in the mountains. Therefore that region was called Lammoth; for the echoes of his voice dwelt there ever after, so that any who cried aloud in that land awoke them, and all the waste between the hills and the sea was filled with a clamour as of voices in anguish. The cry of Morgoth in that hour was the greatest and most dreadful that was ever heard in the northern world; the mountains shook, and the earth trembled, and rocks were riven asunder. Deep in forgotten places that cry was heard. Far beneath the ruined halls of Angband, in vaults to which the Valar in the haste of their assault had not descended, Balrogs lurked still, awaiting ever the return of their Lord; and now swiftly they arose, and passing over Hithlum they came to Lammoth as a tempest of fire. With their whips of flame they smote asunder the webs of Ungoliant, and she quailed, and turned to flight, belching black vapours to cover her; and fleeing from the north she went down into Beleriand, and dwelt beneath Ered Gorgoroth, in that dark valley that was after called Nan Dungortheb, the Valley of Dreadful Death, because of the horror that she bred there. For other foul creatures of spider form had dwelt there since the days of the delving of Angband, and she mated with them, and devoured them; and even after Ungoliant herself departed, and went whither she would into the forgotten south of the world, her offspring abode there and wove their hideous webs. Of the fate of Ungoliant no tale tells. Yet some have said that she ended long ago, when in her uttermost famine she devoured herself at last.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Countblanc posted:

someone please tell me how to disable the dualshock 4's blue glow when its plugged into my Pc. i havent slept in weeks,

put a blanket over it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

al-azad posted:

Has any company given a good explanation for why you can’t turn the controller lights off?

Wawa rulez ok

Electronics makers never ask themselves whether people will use their device in bedrooms for some reason

I've owned heated blankets with bright glowing lights for gently caress's sake

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Wildtortilla posted:

I got my dream job today. My state's Topographic and Geologic Survey offered me a job in their GIS and Geologic services program. So I'm going to be managing geologic data and making maps and figures for their publications.
:)
:aaaaa:

Grats, try not to let arcgis erode your sanity too much

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I hate to break it to this random twitter person, but you can have too many Dreamcasts

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

codenameFANGIO posted:

thought you were going to say weed tbh

video games are better than weed tbh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I tried weed a few times and completely failed to get high so either I'm genetically resistant to THB (which is apparently a real thing?) or I'm a massive fuckup at weed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well I sat down in this cat cafe and this cat won't get up from my lap so I guess that's the end of my Yakuza 6 playthrough, time to start God of War

I'm pretty sure you live in the cat cafe now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Realtalk I hate board games where you can be eliminated early and then everyone else is still playing for like two more hours

you're in luck, most modern board game developers agree with you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My favorite board game of all time, Castles of Burgundy, is around an hour once everybody has played before so things go smoothly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In college I played games of Diplomacy that lasted months

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Ended up buying and playing Star Traders: Frontiers on Steam for a few hours and I still have no idea wtf I'm doing, but I'm intrigued as hell by it

That game looks super cool. Does the Early Access feel like a full game or is it basically a paid beta?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

univbee posted:

in terms of popular hobbies and the general population representing it, I’d say top, full stop.

Drugs exist

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
People rudely chose April's gotm before Monster Prom even came out so it gets to be May gotm instead

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
nothing wrong with junk food fiction. If you like a book and people tell you to read something else the correct response is "who the hell are you to decide which books are real"

Personally I'm on a Tolkien re-read rampage after discovering he had yet another posthumous publication last year. On the Turin chapter of the Silmarillion which I'm substituting by reading the Children of Hurin instead for the fuller version. I'm pretty sure the changing meaning of the word "tryst" since Tolkien wrote it (and he might have been using an archaic meaning even then) means that Beleg and Turin are lovers which honestly I'm okay with

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I take exception with the idea that genre fiction can't be "real" books whatever the hell real is even supposed to mean there

Like, books can be bad but don't judge them by their cover, as the saying goes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Mostly I just read non-fiction and genre fiction classics (e.g. Lord of the Rings, Dune) recently though so

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the idea that fiction that belongs to a genre has to be bad is super dumb, please enjoy your fat cat murder mysteries and french post-apocalyptic sci-fi

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There are like five Lyns in Fire Emblem Heroes, Nintendo knows she's popular with FE fans now and is very likely in smash 5 if they're at all interested in adding an older FE character to the roster

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

lets hang out posted:

If anything he fits in well with all the Norse gods who are real shitlords themselves

Honestly the Norse gods tend to feel like much nicer people than the Olympian gods. Like Odin never turns into a swan to rape someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a saying that the Greek gods are comedic characters treated deadly serious and the Norse gods are serious characters treated as comic relief

Like the Greek gods are constantly being petty and doing ridiculous things to try to one-up each other but this is all treated as being dramatic instead of silly. Whereas the Norse gods always have serious responsible motives but then you get stories about Thor dressing up in a wedding dress or trying to empty a drinking glass which had secretly been connected to the ocean

• Locked thread