Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Accordion Man posted:

Why not just make a new F-Zero with the Star Fox characters in it?

Nintendo really have no idea what to do with Star Fox.

F-Zero games don't make money. Splatoon 1 on Wii U outsold the entire series. ARMS could end up doing the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Real hurthling! posted:

Cliffy b needs to grovel for his job at epic back and never interact with press again

He originally left because Epic was unwilling to make shooters like Lawbreakers or even games like Gears of War. If Cliff goes back there, he'll be working on games like Fortnite.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Phantasium posted:

a big downgrade from the quality he's been slaving over, i'm sure

Cliff said he was unhappy with the the direction of Epic to the point that he stopped coming to work. Sweeney told him to either step up or leave the company. He probably could've stayed at Epic and collected a seven figure salary from Tencent.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

I said come in! posted:

I like the Warcraft movie and really want a sequel. :/

Thank God for China.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Jay Rust posted:

I think Cage is the Kojima of the west

No, it's Patrice Désilets. He spearheaded a popular stealth action series before getting screwed over by his publisher.

Raxivace posted:

I didn’t follow TotalBiscuit at all but RIP. 33 is way too young.

A lot of developers and streamers are mourning his death: https://clips.twitch.tv/SparklyInterestingButterBudStar

His videos and podcasts helped many developers, big and small, gain much needed attention. He also influenced many popular streamers to start Youtube videos/streaming as a hobby before going professional.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DLC Inc posted:

LOL this almost makes me want to do Tracer but idk if Overwatch is the popular "thing" still. Two years ago it was white hot so quite a few people were at Comic Con as the characters. Last year I did Joker from P5 and maybe only 5 people knew who I was. I wonder if GOW or Monster Hunter will be a big costume thing this year.

It's still very popular but it's cooled off in Asia with the rise of PUBG/Fortnite.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

I said come in! posted:

No one is going to give a poo poo about Battlefield or Call of Duty this year. Everyone is playing Fortnite until Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out.

Not if PUBG can help it.

Help Im Alive posted:

Where do you even find investors for your demon rape game

Poland

Fun Fact: Many veteran Polish game developers first got into game development by making schlocky indie games with extreme violence and sex. Michał Madej, the lead designer for the Witcher, was known in the local industry for making a controversial Jagged Alliance/Fallout clone with rampant sex, violence, and drug use.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I do noy understand why/how Path of Exile and Warframe are free. They are stupidly good, my god.

See, I started Warframe today and !? It is a good shooter/runner/ninja-er.

It's 2018. F2P games have strong business models/investors, can attract good talent, and focus on creating a strong support base of core fans who buy high margin microtransactions.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Internet Kraken posted:

This is interesting to me because it blatantly obvious that Fortnite copied PUBG but like, PUBG didn't invent this genre. They just popularized it and made devs realize they could cash in hard on it. Plus with how much games already borrow from one another I don't see them having much of a legal leg to stand on.

Brendan Greene/PlayUnknown is a licensor of the Battle Royale game mode. Sony Online Entertainment/Daybreak approached him to establishing a licensing agreement with H1Z1. So there is some legal precedence.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

StrixNebulosa posted:

I still don't understand why people must compulsively spend that much money on games. Like - I know, hypocritical, I have a ton of games in my steam library - but in-game? In a single game? For cosmetic items, or fancy stuff that removes all difficulty and fun? Why?

Most people don't spend a cent on microtransactions. The bulk of the revenue comes from power spenders. It's not unusual for these types of games to have a small yet hardcore base that effectively subsidizes the rest of the userbase by paying for free updates and events.

We're seeing the rise of games as a lifestyle where people commit to a handful or even just one game and spend all of their money on it. It's much better use of someone's money than paying for hundreds of games on Steam and never playing them (that's me).

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Give me a traditional Pokemon battle system over Go's tap and swipe fest any day

The game looks like it's aimed at lapsed Pokemon fans who picked up GO and got back into the series. It's Gen 1, has simplified capture mechanics, and connectivity with Pokemon GO.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DLC Inc posted:

looks like another fallout game in the same dumb engine with a lamer gimmick, and if the tweets about this being online are true then lol

#SavePlayer1

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What exactly happened to Capcom? I've heard that SF30 is exactly as disappointing as Max Dood suggested it would be, and it feels like they've been on a spiral for some time now. It also feels like a compilation of some of the best games your company ever made should be a slam dunk success.

I remember when this company was synonymous with quality in the 90's. Is there one thing to be pointed to as a reason?

- Brain drain because the company stopped making certain genres, such as JRPGs, beat em' ups, or fighters
- Spend Monster Hunter profits on mobile game developers and fail to make a hit
- Brain drain because Capcom's management is a dynasty and you have to marry into it if you want to move up the corporate ladder
- Schism and miscommunication between Capcom Japan and Capcom USA. Capcom USA holds the Street Fighter ip rights since Capcom LTD wasn't willing to fund fighting games
- Brain drain because management doesn't want to spend a lot of money on making games
- Most of Capcom's new staff are fresh college recruits with no practical development experience since they're having difficulty retaining internal talent and poaching from other publishers
- Brain drain because your smalltime franchise got cancelled and a AAA series needs code/art grunts

Saint Freak posted:

I can only assume Monster Hunter either:

A) Makes such an unholy amount of money they're afraid to Capcom all over it or
B) Is headed by people who have a lot of blackmail on higher-ups.

The producer of Monster Hunter is the CEO's son and the COO's brother. He just got promoted with a fancy new title.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

In Training posted:

considering capcom hasnt made an in-house fg since 3rd Strike-ish im assuming their future FG plans will continue to be: outsource their brand.

actually wasn MvCI in-house?

It was a mix of an internal team and a dozen different outsourcing studios. For the internal Capcom team, the junior staff was largely made of new recruits. A good deal of the art, animation, and cinematics was outsourced to various art and development support companies. This isn't altogether an unusual setup for AAA game development.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Motto posted:

DMC in particular was the weirdest target for a reboot since it was successful and even upwardly trending from 3 to 4 after recovering from DMC2's reputation hit, and then they basically barred that team from making another all the way up to today.

Hideaki Itsuno was burnt out from Devil May Cry games since he had been working on them nonstop from DMC2's development hell. The series seemed to be hitting a sales wall while the God of War games by Sony Santa Monica were going from strength to strength. So Ninja Theory got the series and Itsuno got to work on his dream game of Dragon's Dogma. Ninja Theory actually wanted to make a very faithful entry for the series but Capcom pushed them to make their own take on it. This is how the game got it's heaven/hell weapon mechanic and the mature tone for its story.

There was also a business reason as to why Capcom began to heavily outsource to mid-sized Western developers. During the time DmC was in development, the yen was unusually strong. This meant that sales overseas didn't hold the same value as domestic sales but the purchasing power of Japanese publishers was stronger when it came to working with overseas developers. This was the era where you saw a lot of Japanese outsource development of old IPs to Western developers, such as Front Mission Evolved and Bionic Commando, in order to modernize them. Many Japanese games hit a brick wall trying to succeed in Europe and North America so there was a push to work with overseas developers and figure out what was going wrong.

Sunning fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Dont tell me David Cage did well in spite of himself and every other thing he's done.

For Detroit, Cage was the equivalent of a tv showrunner instead of being the sole writer and director. It seems to have worked out for the game.

• Locked thread