Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just play an adventure game because they tend to be the most accessible genre and aren't competitive in anyway.

If you're playing obscure arcade fighters I recommend Breaker's Revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Samuringa posted:

Those are AAA themes now, indies are now about mashing as many mechanics as you can in the least playable ways. Also never leaving Early Access or leaving as a completely different game.
Rule of Rose is still one of the very games that did the game was just in the protagonist's head ending totally right.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

In Training posted:

SHame about playing Rule of Rose though
It's honestly not that bad because enemies are so easy to avoid. It's the boss fights and the game's slow pace that are more the issue. The combat is not good and it should have been an adventure game, but its tolerable enough to get through it so you can experience one of the saddest games of all time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GANDHITRON posted:

Someone a few days ago was asking about the giallo horror genre and if any games pulled it off. I was going to mention Rule of Rose or Haunting Ground but I never played either and didn't really know if they fit that description. I was hoping someone would talk about those games in general and what makes them special. I remember they both came out around the same time to mixed reception, but one is kind of a cult classic.
When it comes to gialli inspired games the original Clock Tower is the biggest example as it straight up cribs some stuff from Dario Argento's Phenomena; the protagonist named Jennifer who looks exactly like Jennifer Connelly, a murderous matriarch with her hideously deformed son as the villains, the protagonist has animals help her in the climax (Bugs in Phenomena and crows in Clock Tower)The later entries in the series started to move away from the gialli inspiration but Haunting Ground, originally planned to be Clock Tower 5, brought it back. It's definitely more on the sleazier side of the gialli inspiration though compared to the original Clock Tower.

Rule of Rose isn't giallo inspired though I feel, its much more subdued, unlike gialli which tended very stylistic and loud. The best movie comparison I can give to Rule of Rose is that it feels like the game Guillermo Del Toro would have made if he actually could, it feels very much like Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone in a lot of ways.

Funny enough Castlevania actually has gialli inspiration because Michiru Yamane took inspiration from Goblin in her soundtracks.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 13, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I forgot to bring it up but Hotline Miami 1 feels kind of like a giallo too, i.e, hyper violent, artistically loud, fever dream atmosphere, masked killer, focus on style over narrative cohesion, etc. It's not 1:1 at all, but there are some similarities.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Argue posted:

Happy Mother's Day who are your favorite videogame moms

Kreia and Goatmom.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I should be ashamed for forgetting Koudelka. Karin on the other hand is bad and that whole plot element is the only thing I hate in what otherwise is one of my all time favorite games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also I just remembered Kaine's grandma in Nier. She's rad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

In Training posted:

Chun Lo is a mom?
She helps run an orphanage in Third Strike so she's an adoptive mom.

Jade is also a cool adoptive mom.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Raxivace posted:

Nintendo gave Bush Jr. a copy of Brain Age lol.
Obama got a copy of Witcher 2 from the Polish president.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Taintrunner posted:

This week I learned my wife is a diehard subs over dubs person and I’ve never felt more betrayed in my life
:sever:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

SANAVABEETCH
DO YOU UNDAHSTAND?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

just checking here, everyone calls fortnite battle royale "fortnite" because no one gives a poo poo about the actual fortnite, right
Pretty much, yeah.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Skypie posted:

I'm like 1000% certain that Horizon Zero Dawn is gonna ruin my spare time
It probably will because its actually feasible to 100% it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
On the bright side you could just go by Jen or Jenny.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

How many games did sierra put out that didn't have tons of deaths and/or tons of potential reset points where you've missed a crucial item and can't go back to get it?

Because mixed up mother goose is pretty much the only one I can think of, but it is also the only sierra adventure game I've ever played
The Gabriel Knights weren't nearly as bad about them compared to most of their Sierra brethren.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Why not just make a new F-Zero with the Star Fox characters in it?

Nintendo really have no idea what to do with Star Fox.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Snooze Cruise posted:

I know how to save the battle royale genre:
Kirby Air Ride Battle Royale
I mean me and my friends used to play Free Run City Trial kind of like that years ago.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Steve2911 posted:

jfc gaming is dead.
Nah, the medium is still a hell of a lot better off than it was for like half of the last decade.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah tbh if you wanted to make claims like “gaming is dead” you might have wanted to do that when everyone was trying to cash in on Kinect and the Wii.
As well as when bland brown and bloom shooters were everywhere.

Publishers chasing after that COD money ruined too many good games and I much prefer them chasing games like Overwatch and Fortnite instead because other games can still coexist with them without getting completely dumbed down like back in those COD days.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 14, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

Robotron 2084 Battle Royale
More like Smash TV Battle Royale, it writes itself.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

Sinistar Battle Royale
If you stay out of the circle for too long Sinistar swoops down and eats you.

I LIVE! RUN, RUN!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

Sounds like Battle Royale is the new MOBA.
At least its inherently a hell of lot less toxic.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

Kinda very interested in Jurassic World Evolution because dinosaurs.
It's the JPOG sequel I've been waiting fifteen years for.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Raxivace posted:

Why is Sephiroth hanging around with Luke Skywalker?
Because he's Kyle Katarn's best friend and Kyle invited him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

The Wii U, Vita and Sega Dreamcast were the three tests to see if you're allowed into gamer heaven
Only if you're a console gamer, all PC users go to heaven.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Saint Freak posted:

What if I exclusively play my PS4 remotely through my PC
A few years in purgatory, though if you give an indulgence to Gaben it can be reduced.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

I think Legacy of Kain on Dreamcast is when I really started paying attention to voice acting in games because the three leads were so drat good.
MGS, Koudelka, and Blood Omen/Soul Reaver are like the holy trinity of PS1 era voice acting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

In Training posted:

Koudelka's VA is like shockingly professional from what I played of it
They got a bunch of native English speaking theater actors (If I remember right) from America and they all recorded together in the same room and it definitely shows.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Convex posted:

Silent Hill series voice acting really works though, it heightens the dreamlike atmosphere immensely. Also works really well for James in SH2 as he is most likely in a fugue state after murdering his wife shortly before the game starts
Mary's VA also does a legit fantastic job.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

glam rock hamhock posted:

The horrible SH remasters really emphasized the strengths of the original VO. The new, professional voice actors just aren't as good. I can sort of stand it in SH2 but HD SH3 Heather, despite being a far better known more experienced actress, is unbearable to me. It hurts the game far more than all the other ways they hosed it.
I always liked how freaking exhausted Douglas' original VA sounded in 3.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF2htc3XDaw

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The White Dragon posted:

there was a lovely cowboy bebop game on the ps2???
I always heard it was solid, but yeah it was only released in Japan.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

glam rock hamhock posted:

Remember when it turned out there was a fully nude model of Ellen Page character in Beyond even though she is never shown fully nude in the game?

Oh David Cage, you are this industry's biggest hack (and that's saying something!)
He had even had a scrapbook with pictures of her as a kid.

If word came out that David Cage molested women that worked for Quantic I would not be surprised at all, he just screams huge sexpest from the rafters.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I do know about the allegations but I thought it was just you bog standard industry lovely treatment in general right now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think there's an official thread for game analysis people but I wanted to give a shout-out to Innuendo Studios. I followed him initially for his excellent Life is Strange video but he really knows his stuff about everything in a really thoughtful way that most youtube critical theorists don't reach, yet doesn't seem to have a massive following. Maybe you will like him, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJcJevvWGP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGl12Sv9SNs
I still find it funny how the writers in TWD Season 2 purposely went out of their way trying to make Kenny the bad guy but completely screwed up and made him the most reasonable, fleshed out, and sympathetic character in the whole game among a gaggle of selfish, flat , stupid assholes. The ending I got where he sacrifices himself so Clem and Alvin Jr. could live in Wellington was genuinely powerful and made it worth playing an otherwise painfully mediocre game that was a huge step down from the first. Kenny was an rear end in a top hat and by the time of Season 2 is utterly broken, but when the chips were down he put others ahead of himself more often than not even when he hit rock bottom.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

They're all good, without weird irony.
Nah, 6 is one of my all time favorites but Final Fantasy has some stinkers.

Shadow Hearts is like the only JRPG series I love as a whole instead of just a couple of entries.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 22, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Baiten Kaitos has that claymation village so it's cool just for that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Tales games are action RPGs, not tactical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

homeless snail posted:

enjoying games unironically... holy crap...
I can one up that, I think a bunch of recent games are genuinely well-written and that video games are starting to mature as a narrative medium.

• Locked thread